HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2013, 11:56 AM
LarryO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
What's the magic word?
Abracadabra? HocusPocus?

Old
07-04-2013, 06:15 PM
AIREAYE

You used to be that kid in kindergarten that all the teachers hated right?

Old
07-04-2013, 09:55 PM
iSmileee

How heel and mid width 8D compare to 7.5EE? 7.5EE have more volume?
8D perfect size but i have some volume problem, 7.5EE can fix it?

Old
07-04-2013, 10:08 PM
LarryO

Quote:
You used to be that kid in kindergarten that all the teachers hated right?
Who,me? I didn't go to kindergarten. I went straight to 1st grade and they loved me!

Old
07-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Captain Serious 19

At the local hockey store they have all the Kings players old APX skates. They moved onto the APX 2s and have the pro stock skates on sale. They are pretty cool and are customized to Penner,Martinez and Lewis feet. I could get a pair for 350 dollars, should I do it. Penner's fit me perfectly and I want an upgrade from my Vapor 4.0s. Are the APX skates worth it? I know they are the old model but they look sick

Old
07-06-2013, 05:08 PM
AIREAYE

If they fit great and have a good amount of steel to them, it's a good deal.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:11 PM
AIREAYE

RBZ skates :

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1464383

Old
07-07-2013, 11:43 PM
JetsCanuck16
Rookie User

I'm looking at getting a new pair of skates. I am skating in a pair of Bauer 4.0s, when I turn sometimes on the ice I feel the sides are giving in. I fit well in CCMs and was wondering what skates to get the RBZ, RBZ 100 or RBZ 90? I am more inclined to go with either the RBZ 100 or RBZ 90 because of the price and also I haven't skated in a stiffer boot before so I don't want to get something too stiff. This season I will be playing 3-4 times a week usually and also I workout and train a lot so I have some build to my frame.

Old
07-08-2013, 10:01 AM
AIREAYE

Yeah, your line of thinking is right. I haven't seen the 100 or 90 though, but if you're looking to upgrade without paying top-end money, I would look there.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:14 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
so im REALLY tired of my skates ive had for 2 years, i was not properly sized (mad about this since they are one 100's) and when I skate my heel lifts + i have to stuff the toe so the skate isnt super long. I want to go all in and order custom skates with my feet measurements/shape, but im having trouble finding where I can do this.. any help? $ is obviously not an issue

Old
07-09-2013, 10:23 PM
AIREAYE

I would contact your local retailers to start.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:05 PM
ConoR187

Quote:
I would contact your local retailers to start.
im doing this tomorrow.. can you not do it online?

Old
07-09-2013, 11:19 PM
AIREAYE

You need an experienced fitter who knows what they are doing.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:39 PM
ConoR187

had an interesting experience today

went to the shop and they measured my feet, where i found out my left is slightly longer then my right. the guy recommended different sizes for each feet, or a custom pair, because he thought the size difference was big enough to warrant that. ive measured my two feet multiple times and my left is about 3 mm longer then my right, or an 1/8th of an inch.. i dont think this is enough to warrant customs, any opinions?
if i downgrade from an 8 to a 7.5 i think that would solve my heel issues, and then i can maybe wear a thicker sock on my right

also, can someone remind me each skate companies uniqueness in terms of skate fit? if i can find a skate that has the same toe width as my supremes, but a little tighter in the heel, it would be perfect

thanks bros

Old
07-10-2013, 11:17 PM
AIREAYE

At this point, I would trust whatever the fitter is doing. I keep saying repeatedly that no one can fit anyone else over the internet.

With a custom skate you can have almost every aspect of fit customized. Pick a boot style you like and leave the custom fitting to the fitter.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:52 PM
ConoR187

Quote:
At this point, I would trust whatever the fitter is doing. I keep saying repeatedly that no one can fit anyone else over the internet.

With a custom skate you can have almost every aspect of fit customized. Pick a boot style you like and leave the custom fitting to the fitter.
im just having a hard time deciding if i should spend 900+ for customs if the difference is an eighth of an inch

Old
07-11-2013, 01:41 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
im just having a hard time deciding if i should spend 900+ for customs if the difference is an eighth of an inch
1. If you aren't sure you can get a second opinion/fitting at a different shop?
2. My feet are pretty different size wise (I don't know how much) and with the shape of my feet the CCM +U CL had so much foam that I can wear the off the shelf skates that got baked.
3. It is really painful to pay full retail or whatever for skates or get a smaller discount but at a good hockey shop the value you are paying for is the fitter's expertise (and time, it took 1.5 hours for me to get my skates right) and usually support. They told me if there was ever a problem with the skate to bring it back to them (this is a locally owned and operated business) and they would sort it out. Sort of like a lifetime guarantee for reasonable stuff (rebake/punch out more, loose eyelet, wobbly runner, etc.).

Old
07-11-2013, 08:28 AM
AIREAYE

Wait, I thought you wanted to go all in for customs? if not then why not just get properly fitted for a retail pair?

Old
07-11-2013, 11:18 AM
ConoR187

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
1. If you aren't sure you can get a second opinion/fitting at a different shop?
2. My feet are pretty different size wise (I don't know how much) and with the shape of my feet the CCM +U CL had so much foam that I can wear the off the shelf skates that got baked.
3. It is really painful to pay full retail or whatever for skates or get a smaller discount but at a good hockey shop the value you are paying for is the fitter's expertise (and time, it took 1.5 hours for me to get my skates right) and usually support. They told me if there was ever a problem with the skate to bring it back to them (this is a locally owned and operated business) and they would sort it out. Sort of like a lifetime guarantee for reasonable stuff (rebake/punch out more, loose eyelet, wobbly runner, etc.).
there are 2 shops in the area, but unfortunately these 2 shops dont have all available skates.. i wanted to try 18k's, some ccms, and the higher end eastons but they dont have those. also issues with some skates not available in e width. i didnt have much time yesterday to try on all their available pairs, which is something i will do today...

good to know its possible you dont need customs for a size difference, ill make my for sure decision tonight after i try on all available skates

Old
07-11-2013, 10:17 PM
ConoR187

came away today pretty happy, as the nexus 600's fit my feet like a charm.. i had 8.0 supreme skates but im supposed to fit into a 6.5 LOL

i wanted to get a top of the line skate, so im going to wait until tuesday to try on 800's in the same size, and if theyre the same great fit i will buy them. anyone use nexus 800s and care to offer any opinions?

Old
07-11-2013, 11:01 PM
AIREAYE

They'll fit similarly to your 600s, just stiffer with upgraded materials. The 1000 is where you'll see a larger change.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Hockey4Me

Hi AIREAYE,

I just have a couple of questions about my dilemma with buying new skates. I started playing hockey again after being away from the game and skating for almost 12 years. The skates that I currently have are CCM U+6. The fit was fine for the first couple of months, but now I am noticing that I have to really tie them very tight or they will feel loose when I am skating and there is no arch support at all. This tightening is now giving me lace bite.

Anyway recently I tried my friends Vapor 4.0, which were broken in completely. I absolutely loved how much ankle and arch support, stiffness, and overall feel I got from these skates, and I would tie them normally. I have already skated 5 hours on my friend’s Vapor 4.0. I feel a little bit of pressure under my foot arches, because I have flat feet, but no pain. However when I tried on brand new Vapor 5.0 or 4.0 in the store I feel a lot more pressure in my flat footed arches, I guess that is what pushed me away from Vapors initially when I bought my CCMs.

I tried on Supremes and I didn’t like how much pressure there was in my ankle.

I guess my question is should I get the Vapor 5.0 or go to a higher vapor 6.0? and will this pressure in my arches be relieved after I bake them or after I break them in with skating? Should I look at a wider E sizes, just to relieve the pressure under my arch or will that compromise the rest of the fit? Last question, would my foot pressure on the arch of the skate eventually stretch the skate and make it unsupportive?

Im about 6’3” and weigh 215 lbs and skate 4 hours per week. Also my skating still needs work, so I don’t want to get a top of the line skate, but I do want something stiff enough for my weight.
Sorry for the long background story, but just trying to give as much info as possible. Thank you so much for your help!

Old
07-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Hacker10

Well, after going from Graf 705's, to Bauer One70's, with an attempt at a pair of Graf G5's, it appears I have Easton feet.

The local and not-so-local Play it Again Sports like to bulk order close-out from the major brands, so they have had EQ50's for just over $200. I tried them on, and they feel made for my weird feet. They have a narrow heel, narrower than the Supremes, and open up towards the forefoot. A very pronounced \/ shape. Baking made a big difference, too.

They appear very well built. Previous Eastons, like the S17's, seemed kinda flimsy to me.

I can't wait to try them out during my Wednesday game. I've heard the Easton steel doesn't hold an edge very well, but we'll see.

Old
07-14-2013, 04:07 PM
AIREAYE

Great deal! I like an Easton fit as well.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:06 PM
nullterm

Bauer Next 600.

My Reebok 6K's finally gave in when the laces tore right through the top eyelet and boot. So decided to upgrade and try out the new Bauer Nexus line. The Supreme and Vapor never fit my weird shaped feet, and I've always wanted Bauers but had to stick with Reebok and CCM due to fit. But the Nexus fit like a glove.

Super comfy! Which is my biggest deciding factor. Great fit for my wide-ish feet after baking, I got 8D's (was 8E for my Reeboks). Once I put in my superfeet insoles they were amazing and pain free.

Support is so much better. I feel like I'm skating in a pair of skates I have no business owning for my skill level, and it might be the placebo effect but feels like they make me a better skater.

Love em! So glad Bauer decided to widen their product line to accommodate different fits.

Closed Thread