HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to Improve your Wrist Shot??

Old
10-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Krnuckfan

vCash: 500
How to Improve your Wrist Shot??

Basically what the title says, I play street hockey with friends and we use a tennis ball. Any tips on how to get a faster, heavier wrist shot?
Right now my wrist shot is about as strong as when i throw the ball using 50% strength.

Krnuckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 08:58 PM
clefty
What?

I've heard of people taping small weights to their stick. Or even batteries.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:01 PM
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnuckfan View Post
Basically what the title says, I play street hockey with friends and we use a tennis ball. Any tips on how to get a faster, heavier wrist shot?
Right now my wrist shot is about as strong as when i throw the ball using 50% strength.
Transferring your weight and rolling your wrists is very important. Main thing is to keep practicing your shot and try to play with a real street hockey ball (the orange ones).

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:22 PM
QuadDeuces

Send a message via AIM to QuadDeuces
**** it, it really helps your wrist strength.

On a serious note, the weights idea is good.

-- George.

QuadDeuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:51 PM
jaywills1020

tape 1 puck on each side of your shaft right above where the blade would meet the shaft.its all about technique NOT strength. weight transfer, rolling of the wrists, following through etc. you want the puck/ball to start near the heel of the blade so that it spins its way up the blade as your shooting it.

jaywills1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:31 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Keep shooting

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:48 PM
nikebauer

Send a message via MSN to nikebauer
keep shooting pucks and shooting a street hockey ball will become a breeze

nikebauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Pat

practice makes perfect. cheesy, but it's true. just park yourself in front of a net with a bucket of pucks and shoot away. if you don't have targets, just imagine places on the net you want to aim for and shoot.
if you have a good balance on skates, with your forward movement, try to shoot on one leg. weird, but it adds more power to your wristers. that's what I do and my wristers have more velocity to them. reach back and roll your wrists when you shoot. just don't shoot with the puck in front or besides you. go from the back.
anywho, just shoot shoot shoot and shoot

edit: I thought you meant wristers for icehockey...sorry there

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:50 AM
Sticks of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
Transferring your weight and rolling your wrists is very important. Main thing is to keep practicing your shot and try to play with a real street hockey ball (the orange ones).
Yeah, taking wrist shots with a tennis ball is hard. The ball is like a velcro on the road surface. Perhaps if you had a open curve like a sakic and a nice abs type blade, you can see some improvements. Also make sure you don't have too stiff of a flex on your hockey stick.

Sticks of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:49 PM
EmptyNetter

Know the mechanics of a good wrist shot. The more muscle groups that you can put into your shot the stronger it will be:
  • Drop one shoulder - the one that corresponds to your lower hand - and twist at the waist. This is where most of your power will come from. You'll get a more powerful swing the more vertical it is.
  • As you bring your lower hand forward pull your top hand back. This engages both of your arms instead of just one.
  • Practice your timing so you get the combined power of both of these movements.

BTW, what's the benefit of rolling your wrists? Since I shoot leftie I assume I'd be turning the stick blade clockwise over the puck on the release?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Gottokeeponrisin

Get low and Keep your Knees bent

Gottokeeponrisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:01 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
BTW, what's the benefit of rolling your wrists? Since I shoot leftie I assume I'd be turning the stick blade clockwise over the puck on the release?

Your assumption is correct... It generates additional velocity AND makes the puck fly with some rotation and fly flat, all while helping your accuracy. This also helps the puck retain it's velocity since it has less drag.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 02:16 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Your assumption is correct... It generates additional velocity AND makes the puck fly with some rotation and fly flat, all while helping your accuracy. This also helps the puck retain it's velocity since it has less drag.
It also makes the shot feel "heavier" to the goalie. Since it's spinning it makes it slightly harder to hold on to and can either lead to a rebound or work its way through the goalie's body (under the arm, 5-hole). It can also help you shoot a rolling puck.

The keys are weight transfer, balance, and turning your wrists over. Pulling with your top hand as you push with your bottom one is another good tip.

The best way to improve is to keep these things in mind and shoot, shoot, shoot. You'll notice your release will become quicker and you'll be able to pick corners like a pro with enough practice.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 04:58 PM
MikeD

take a free weight plate and tie a 4 foot 1/4" or less Diameter rope through its middle at one end. You choose the plate weight that suits you best. For the other end you will need something like an old large mop or broom handle. Cut a length about 18" long. Drill a small hole through its center and tie the rope through. You can get fancy making two discs to guide the rope as it coils but not needed. Using just the wrists, wind up to about a foot from your hands and then controled unwind send the weight back down to the floor. You will improve wrist power very quickly. remember to work both over hand and underhand..

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 05:08 PM
tidball

Wrist shot...

i have a great wrister. All the points stated were pretty bang on. Rolling/snapping the wrist is the most important part. Get that down, then go for a harder type shot.

(P.S the rolling/snapping makes a difference in how you will aim once you master the technique)

(PPS my wrist shot is a little harder then i throw, and i used to be a pitcher)

tidball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 05:53 PM
2x4*

Do pushups and situps everyday.
The pushups will give a little bit of extra speed, but the situps will build some core strength which is where the majority of shot power is created.

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 05:58 PM
TBLfan

not sit-ups, crunches. Situps work you upper abs and hip flexors, you want to work your upper abs/lower abs and your hip flexors separate. When you work out you don't want to transfer loads from muscle groups to other muscle groups.

Old
10-29-2006, 06:06 PM
2x4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
not sit-ups, crunches. Situps work you upper abs and hip flexors, you want to work your upper abs/lower abs and your hip flexors separate. When you work out you don't want to transfer loads from muscle groups to other muscle groups.
LOL w/e!!!

Situps crunches... I give them the same name even though they are way different.
I do both, im not really a teacher of the stuff though.

Listen to TBL. :-P

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 06:51 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel48Briere View Post
LOL w/e!!!

Situps crunches... I give them the same name even though they are way different.
I do both, im not really a teacher of the stuff though.

Listen to TBL. :-P
lol, me either but I have taken a "weight training" class at college

Old
10-31-2006, 04:44 AM
Lucky Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
Also, it helps to choke up your bottom hand on the stick a bit.

Lucky Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 05:34 AM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderkyle View Post
Also, it helps to choke up your bottom hand on the stick a bit.
It makes it easier so I wouldn't recommend it. Put those hands close together and shoot, you'll feel the muscles start to burn after a short while. You want your hands nice and strong so that your body doesn't always have to do the work.

Old
11-03-2006, 06:26 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan079 View Post
**** it, it really helps your wrist strength.

On a serious note, the weights idea is good.

-- George.
Just tried the first idea. Nope. Still a weak shot.

Taping heavy washers at the bottom of the shaft is a good idea for weighting the stick. It works great. Also shoot against a wall while sitting in a chair. You'll work only upper body mechanics and strength and then will use the wrists more so when you put it all together you'll have a wicked wrister.

PS Last thing. Shoot something heavier than you play with

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

for a quick fix, try a junior stick they work amazing for street hockey. Instead of wristers i'd recommend just doing snapshots.

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 11:04 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
take a free weight plate and tie a 4 foot 1/4" or less Diameter rope through its middle at one end. You choose the plate weight that suits you best. For the other end you will need something like an old large mop or broom handle. Cut a length about 18" long. Drill a small hole through its center and tie the rope through. You can get fancy making two discs to guide the rope as it coils but not needed. Using just the wrists, wind up to about a foot from your hands and then controled unwind send the weight back down to the floor. You will improve wrist power very quickly. remember to work both over hand and underhand..
What he said. I used to use an old souvenir hockey stick - a piece of a hockey shaft even works. Wrist builders also work; and practising with a weighted puck. Shooting on a net with targets isn't a bad thing either as accuracy never hurts. Be sure to work on a quick release - try to disguise when you're shooting.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 04:22 AM
NYYmt62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Agreed. In my experience, this is the best way to build your wrist strength. Start out with some smaller weight, like five pounds, and gradually work your way up. Increase the number of repetitions each time also. But the only way for anything to really work is if you go out in the driveway and shoot pucks. If you are shooting the puck correctly over and over, along with building wrist strength- you will see some significant improvement in your wrister in no time.

NYYmt62 is offline   Reply With Quote