HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT ESPN Q2 Viewership Drops Sharply

Old
07-11-2013, 12:38 PM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
So then why do you care about their ratings. And what bugs you about the NBA so much that doesn't about the NFL, which runs at the same time and has the same social problems.
Their NFL coverage annoys me much more than their NBA coverage. Middle of May and they're talking about all this irrelevant NFL garbage. For the most part I don't mind their NBA coverage, I don't like all of it but they're pretty heavily invested in the NBA with all the regular season and playoff games they have. Even after the NBA season is over the draft comes up pretty quickly afterwards and free agency a little after that. They'll stop talking about it soon enough but their coverage of the NFL is horrid. Irrelevant topic after irrelevant topic, Jets, Sanchez, Tebow and more Tebow.

NBC Sports Network has done a pretty awful job with The Lights. They need to be airing that at night starting at aroun 11 ET as games begin to finish up and then add in the highlights from the late night games in the morning and continue to air that throughout the morning. I don't know what the ratings are like for the Dan Patrick Show but why would I want to watch a radio show on TV? I'll just listen to it on the radio or online.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:47 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
NBC Sports Network has done a pretty awful job with The Lights. They need to be airing that at night starting at aroun 11 ET as games begin to finish up and then add in the highlights from the late night games in the morning and continue to air that throughout the morning. I don't know what the ratings are like for the Dan Patrick Show but why would I want to watch a radio show on TV? I'll just listen to it on the radio or online.
The DP show on TV is pretty good actually. There's a lot to see that you don't get with radio. I once saw someone describe it as 'A TV show, about a radio show that's on TV', and I find that to be pretty spot on.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Tinalera

It is interesting to watch as Fox and NBC get their sports channels stuff in order, and buying up more of the properties: the question is will either of those companies be able to outbid for whatever contracts that ABC/Disney/ESPN still owns?

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Brodie
pretty on fleek

ESPN is still in the drivers seat for a lot of these rights deals... we've already seen how NBCSN mainly serves to drive up costs for bigger properties while only landing more niche properties with the promise of unprecedented exposure. Fox is starting from a much better position than NBCSN was and I think whatever spoils there are to be had will end up going to them.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:34 AM
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Its about a million times better than what NBCSN has now, let alone what it launched with. BCS conference football, NASCAR, MLB, UFC, UEFA Champions League, World Cup... thats real competition for ESPN
A little late here .. add Women's World Cup 2015 and 2019 and Confederations Cup 2017 and 2021. The ratings they draw is nothing to sneeze at.

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

ESPN is missing out on the 3 sports with the most growth in NA right now.

Hockey
Soccer
Lacross

And theyre relying on Baseball atm which has seen interest decline over the past 10 years and lets be honest, its on its way out.

Wait until Premiere Peague coverege starts. Its going to crush ESPNs Baseball ratings in a year or two. NHL drew better ratings than all of the NBA Playoffs except for a few Game 7s and the Finals.

Its like 1994 all over again, except this time the lockout has already happened and the NHL has the TV Deal they didnt back then.

Devilshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:26 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
NHL drew better ratings than all of the NBA Playoffs except for a few Game 7s and the Final
Umm...no.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Brodie
pretty on fleek

Ah, 1994 and the NHLs entirely mythical dominance of the NBA strikes again

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:11 PM
scotchex

Quote:

Hockey
Soccer
Lacross

And theyre relying on Baseball atm which has seen interest decline over the past 10 years and lets be honest, its on its way out.

Wait until Premiere Peague coverege starts. Its going to crush ESPNs Baseball ratings in a year or two. NHL drew better ratings than all of the NBA Playoffs except for a few Game 7s and the Finals.

Its like 1994 all over again, except this time the lockout has already happened and the NHL has the TV Deal they didnt back then.
Are you serious or joking? Baseball is on the way out?
You're either joking or delusional. MLB had $7.5B in revenue last year. That B stands for billion.

And lacrosse? Really? Lacrosse has grown a lot in the past 20 years. It's grown from almost nothing to ... almost something. It has a decent presence as a college sport in the northeast. Way to go.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:09 PM
XLJ

When they don't broadcast games I really don't watch ESPN that much anymore. They turned themselves into a TMZ/Entertainment Tonight version of sports. I remember on their sports ticker they were "reporting" that Kobe unfollowed Dwight on twitter.

Glad to see NBC sports outdrawing ESPN 2. Whats holding NBC sports back is they only broadcast NHL games. Their really is no reason to watch them when the NHL season ends. Its too bad they don't have that TBS deal with MLB. That would of been great for their channel.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:35 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

The problem in ESPN's editorial/opinion content is that the focus is too narrow. It seems too tightly managed/streamlined and they don't have the personalities anymore or rather don't let them out of the box. On an average day you get the same story, no matter how tiny, rehashed about a dozen times by about 20 different people who don't really have much new, different or interesting stuff to say.

I think that's what happens when a mass market-oriented corporation figures it has identified its target audience pretty well, knows how it reacts to things, what they like and what they don't like and then tailors the product very closely to that. Managers become slaves to the concepts that have been cautiously develope. Off-the-wall, out-of-the-box stuff becomes rarer and rarer, I mean why bother, you own the market, you know what works, why take the risk and possibly harm your career?

The problem particularly in entertainment is that you lose the people who are a notch above the target audience, the people who define what's "cool" and "edgy" and that's how you gradually lose social capital and eventually that starts to trickle down into the mass market target audience.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:44 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:

Hockey
Soccer
Lacross

If you broadcast Hockey, Soccer, and Lacross you may as shut the station down because only you would be watching.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote