HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I know, still the risk is there, and is a UFA Gagner at age 24 a calculated risk? We can't gamble with such important assets.

Also, do you think we can run this top six as we try to move in to a higher echelon of teams? I'm not sure. Maybe Perron is a short term fix, maybe not, but MacT has to cover his bases, and waiting til the final day to ce to terms before arbitration again is dangerous.

At the very least I hope he has a contingency plan.
The point is the paranoia about it is getting a little to much Gagner has said he wants to stay with team , Mactavish has said they are committed to getting a deal done, the process of arbitration is the window for his agent to get the best possible deal for his client. They will reach a 11th hour deal book it.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
How about matt moulson from the islanders for some smackdown on the 3rd line.. what would be his asking price/availability?

also wonder about Shore from Florida for a 4th line C.. a youngster.. up and comer big body and a great faceoff guy so far.. would fit in great.. any word on his asking price/availability?
Are you kidding? Moulson has 112 goals over his last four NHL seasons. 30 goals, 31, 36 and 15 (would have been another 30 goal year over 82 games). He's an offensive cornerstone on the Islanders.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

haha sorry i meant M.Martin haha

Old
07-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
The point is the paranoia about it is getting a little to much Gagner has said he wants to stay with team , Mactavish has said they are committed to getting a deal done, the process of arbitration is the window for his agent to get the best possible deal for his client. They will reach a 11th hour deal book it.
You're probably right, but still, an 11th hour agreement isn't ideal. He wants to be an Oiler, but so did Ryan Smyth. Gagner still wants to get paid.

How long do we want to have a top six this small? One year? Ok, two years? I don't know.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:00 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I don't see where he fits.
Prospal for $2m as 3LW? why not?

Old
07-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
I've thought the same thing about Perron. Pump and dump. Not sure how you deal Gagner without getting a C back. I think any deal would have to be big - a lot of pieces.
Ya, I see Perron as a transitional guy, similar to what Patrick O'Sullivan was (supposed to be). I can see him hang around maybe 2 years, 3 tops. Looking at our top six, there are 4 untouchables, then Gagner and Perron, the math is easy to do.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Oilin Toronto

Sorry about this, but I have to vent.

Am I the only one that's sick of all these polls with Oilers' draft picks. I keep seeing Mac vs RNH, Mac vs Yak, Mac vs Hall, and we keep getting beat down over and over again. The only poll that's even close is Mac vs Hall. Hall just finished the year in the top 10 in scoring, playing the fewest TOI of all those in the top 10, and it's evenly split between Hall and MAC. What does Hall need to do.

Yak is on pace for a 30 goal rookie season, and the voting isn't even close in favor of MAC.

Just frustrating as heck. Is it jealousy, envy or just fear of what we've amassed!

Old
07-12-2013, 11:12 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilin Toronto View Post

Am I the only one that's sick of all these polls with Oilers' draft picks. I keep seeing Mac vs RNH, Mac vs Yak, Mac vs Hall, and we keep getting beat down over and over again. The only poll that's even close is Mac vs Hall. Hall just finished the year in the top 10 in scoring, playing the fewest TOI of all those in the top 10, and it's evenly split between Hall and MAC. What does Hall need to do.

Yak is on pace for a 30 goal rookie season, and the voting isn't even close in favor of MAC.

Just frustrating as heck. Is it jealousy, envy or just fear of what we've amassed!
The power of VeteranNetPresence!

Old
07-12-2013, 11:15 PM
OilerFan4Life

Belanger signing in the KHL?

Hilarious.
http://www.rds.ca/vid%C3%A9os/un-%C3...C3%A9-1.640281

It begs the honest question....there have been many terrible players to wear Oiler silks over the years but honestly I'm trying to remember the last Oiler to play at least 100 games here and be THIS horrible. Strudwick was bad and Steady Steve was horrific his last couple of years but I think you'd have to back to Scott Ferguson?

Old
07-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Oilking83

Quote:

They fear us dude. Look at how much hate we get now, can't wait to see the hate when we're actually good!

Old
07-12-2013, 11:17 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

Hilarious.

It begs the honest question....there have been many terrible players to wear Oiler silks over the years but honestly I'm trying to remember the last Oiler to play at least 100 games here and be THIS horrible. Strudwick was bad and Steady Steve was horrific his last couple of years but I think you'd have to back to Scott Ferguson?

Cory Cross.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:19 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Cory Cross.
Daaaamn dude you are right.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:24 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Cory Cross.
This.
Pretty much the first time I have agreed with you on anything

Old
07-12-2013, 11:24 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Daaaamn dude you are right.
I never forget Cory Cross!

Old
07-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
I was looking at the remaining free agents and there are still some good bottom six guys available:

Chuck Kobasew, Kyle Wellwood, David Steckel, or Colby Armstrong could all be good fits,

Old
07-12-2013, 11:42 PM
oilers4life5

What about signing Morrow for a veteran presence on our third line.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
I'd love to get Morrow, but at what cost. He might be too $.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:48 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Cory Cross.
Never use the C-word on this board again.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
Only if it's a 1 year deal. He was pretty awful last year. At this point I'd be willing to try it just because our bottom 6 is bad enough.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Wretched Oil

Quote:
I never forget Cory Cross!
I'll never forget booing Cory Cross then getting *****ed out by his brother, because incidentally I was sitting behind his family at Rexall.

Mact is mostly done

Old
07-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Cory Cross.
Hands down the worst player to ever play in Edmonton. My most vivid memory of him comes from 2005 in a game against Calgary where he fed Jarome Iginla for a breakaway goal. Can't believe we were able to turn Cross and Rita into Tarnstrom which got us Glencross.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:19 AM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
You're probably right, but still, an 11th hour agreement isn't ideal. He wants to be an Oiler, but so did Ryan Smyth. Gagner still wants to get paid.

How long do we want to have a top six this small? One year? Ok, two years? I don't know.
Regardless of how you feel about Gagner, I can't see how anyone would want a deal any less than four years just from an asset management perspective.

I think it's a fairly safe bet to assume that Gagner is going to be a member of the team this year. That means that realistically the earliest that he would be traded is next summer. In order to get the most value out of Gagner in a trade, he would have to have at least two years left on his deal. Otherwise he's more or less a glorified rental. With that perspective, the absolute least amount of years that this deal should contain is three years, and even then, that would have to be with a set-in-stone plan to trade him next summer regardless of what is available on the trade market.

If you sign him for four or more years, however, you have the flexibility to both move him next year if the right deal comes along or keep him longer and still be able to deal him at a later date without sacrificing his value. Obviously this all depends on getting him locked up to a reasonable dollar amount, but to coin a Lowetide expression, any number starting in the fours would certainly be that. Ideally this contract would be for 4-5 years, and I think that holds regardless of how long you want to keep him.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:

Hilarious.

I was going to list a bunch of guys but then I got sad.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:22 AM
B A T M A N*

Prospal>Morrow AINEC.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:

Look who's making them all. TeflonNetPresence

Closed Thread