HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2013, 10:16 PM
  #101
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12,906
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
245 pounds isn't well over 200 pounds?

O... kay then.

What's your angle? Your report on MC has been proven wrong, both by scouting reports from several reliable, ACTUAL scouts INCLUDING Grant, yet you remain thick-headed and continue to argue points that are completely false.

I'm a fan of playing Devil's Advocate from time to time, but if the sky is gray and it's raining, don't tell me it's gorgeous outside.
Well unless you like rain that is...

Richiebottles is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:18 PM
  #102
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,410
vCash: 500
Grant just dropped a knowledge bomb.

Hopefully a certain someone heeds his advice.

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:20 PM
  #103
GrindNMuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
245 pounds isn't well over 200 pounds?

O... kay then.

What's your angle? Your report on MC has been proven wrong, both by scouting reports from several reliable, ACTUAL scouts INCLUDING Grant, yet you remain thick-headed and continue to argue points that are completely false.

I'm a fan of playing Devil's Advocate from time to time, but if the sky is gray and it's raining, don't tell me it's gorgeous outside.
I respect your opinion, But i know my scouting on him is true. I grew up 20 miles from where he grew up at. I watched him since he was 13 years old. I know some of my statements might of been a bit wrong, or to hard. But you cant have every person in the world thinking someone is as good as people that have never seen someone play telling them they are good. But you have to agree that he does need to work on his skating ability and speed. His weight is taking over his ability on that. 245 pounds is pretty heavy for a 17-18 year old kid. if he got down to 220, got his speed up he will become a very good power forward.

I am sorry you guys are taking this like i hate the kid. I don't im Extremely happy for him.

-You cant be easy on someone, if your hard on someone the harder they push to pursue there dreams.

GrindNMuck is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:21 PM
  #104
GrindNMuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
A few posts up. Grant McCagg. He gave you a great gift. I suggest you reread it more than once.
Thank you, I didn't know that. I will talk to him.

GrindNMuck is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:25 PM
  #105
StellerEller
Playoffs!
 
StellerEller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,210
vCash: 351
For those who saw him in camp, how was his hitting game?

StellerEller is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:27 PM
  #106
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
Well over 200 pounds? At the draft it said he was 245 pounds and they take that number that the Combine people weighed him in as.
wasn't it 238lbs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
Okay, Now you guys are throwing one thing i sort of messed up on. His hands. Big deal why aren't you guys commenting on my statements on his speed, skating ability, losing weight, Etc.? Well because i am right.

-And was i at the u18's? No. But did i attend and watch 30 games of him? Yes. I can care less about the U18's.


-You're obviously not good at what you are doing, because you are throwing one bad thing i said. And throwing it at me and trying to make me look bad. Why cant you say anything else about my other statements? because you know there right.

--Please tell me what statements were wrong besides hands. Please!!!!!! I know for a fact his Skating ability, Speed, Etc. Is not that good.
You should reread Grant's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
Are we talking hands (Deking?) or like puck control? because we all might be mixed up now...
I'm no scout but hands usely means everything, shooting, deking, passing and pass reception. From little I saw, his shoot needs the most work
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
Did i say that? go read the whole thread. If you've never seen him play. You have no word
You can say that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
A few posts up. Grant McCagg. He gave you a great gift. I suggest you reread it more than once.
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
245 pounds isn't well over 200 pounds?

O... kay then.

What's your angle? Your report on MC has been proven wrong, both by scouting reports from several reliable, ACTUAL scouts INCLUDING Grant, yet you remain thick-headed and continue to argue points that are completely false.

I'm a fan of playing Devil's Advocate from time to time, but if the sky is gray and it's raining, don't tell me it's gorgeous outside.
We(well me)are so fortunate to have posters like Grant.

otto bond is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:28 PM
  #107
Crimson Skorpion
Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 30,508
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
I respect your opinion, But i know my scouting on him is true. I grew up 20 miles from where he grew up at. I watched him since he was 13 years old. I know some of my statements might of been a bit wrong, or to hard. But you cant have every person in the world thinking someone is as good as people that have never seen someone play telling them they are good. But you have to agree that he does need to work on his skating ability and speed. His weight is taking over his ability on that. 245 pounds is pretty heavy for a 17-18 year old kid. if he got down to 220, got his speed up he will become a very good power forward.

I am sorry you guys are taking this like i hate the kid. I don't im Extremely happy for him.

-You cant be easy on someone, if your hard on someone the harder they push to pursue there dreams.
At the age of 13, you can see tendencies, habits, strengths and weaknesses. By the age of 18, five years later, players can improve. In the case of McCarron, and again I stress this as much as possible, his skating is good for how large he is. Yes, he does need work. At the age of 18, more often than not you'll find a kid who is transitioning from high-school/college to juniors needs work on his skating, among other things.

McCarron will have a lot of wonderful things going for him in London. For one, Hunter is going to teach him how to be aggressive and physical but remain disciplines and learn to pick his spots. In two years with London, assuming that's the time he'll spend there, McCarron will learn to throw a big hit at the appropriate time, use his size to his advantage, learn to become a well-rounded fighter when he drops his gloves and learn to utilize his shot through his strength.

Again, at the combine he registered a low body fat percentage. That's no indication that someone needs to lose weight. If, during his time in London, his skating doesn't improve and his acceleration stays the same, then I can see Hunter suggesting a leaner diet. Until then, it's a non issue.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:29 PM
  #108
Crimson Skorpion
Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 30,508
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
We(well me)are so fortunate to have posters like Grant.
Trust me, we ALL are very fortunate that Grant is a part of the Habs board. With the hunger for knowledge and passion from Prospects that this board has, Grant is a blessing.

Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:30 PM
  #109
GrindNMuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
Sorry for coming off a bit harsh and negative. I know i should of thrown the positives in there as well. I respect everything you guys tell me. It helps me and others down the road to pursue someones dream. I hope none of you guys took my comments and statements wrong. If you did im deeply sorry for that. I hope you guys accept my apologize.

Thank you,

GrindNMuck is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:31 PM
  #110
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Trust me, we ALL are very fortunate that Grant is a part of the Habs board. With the hunger for knowledge and passion from Prospects that this board has, Grant is a blessing.
Make me almost feel like a scout!

otto bond is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:32 PM
  #111
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
I'm about as worried about GrindNMuck's opinion vis--vis McCarron, as I am about 29dryden29's opinion of Tinordi.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:34 PM
  #112
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader
 
BigDaddyLurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Exiled from Reality
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,768
vCash: 500
Warms the heart that we're all getting along now...

BigDaddyLurch is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:40 PM
  #113
MonkeyBusiness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I'm about as worried about GrindNMuck's opinion vis--vis McCarron, as I am about 29dryden29's opinion of Tinordi.
Pretty much, gotta take that opinion with a grain of salt.

MonkeyBusiness is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:43 PM
  #114
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,864
vCash: 500
That guy cant be for real. No way. Zach Praise???

Sock puppet.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:49 PM
  #115
groovejuice
Registered User
 
groovejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I'm about as worried about GrindNMuck's opinion vis--vis McCarron, as I am about 29dryden29's opinion of Tinordi.
Hehe yet he has been rather silent on that recently.

groovejuice is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 10:52 PM
  #116
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader
 
BigDaddyLurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Exiled from Reality
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,768
vCash: 500
No need to pick at the guy, people...he mellowed and apologized...movin' on...

BigDaddyLurch is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 11:15 PM
  #117
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pominville, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
I bet i know way more about hockey then you, Well clearly i do because i have been right on this thread. And im sure most of the people on this site, no stuff about hockey. Because if they don't or cant handle a conversation about hockey on here, they wouldn't ever make an account.

So everyone here knows about hockey.

Thanks, De La Rose
Thanks, De La Rose

Alexdaman is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 11:28 PM
  #118
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
That's what im saying.. Canadian fans are going crazy because they pick McCarron. Why didn't they do that for them.. McCarron how it looks now hes not close to being ready, and fans are all up on him like he's ready.
I don't get this angle. This is probably the least amount of hype I've seen for a 1st round pick.

I haven't seen a single poster say McCaron is gonna be a monster. That he is our saviour. If anything, most posters have been slightly bashing him / or downplaying him / acknowledging his faults / project status.

macavoy is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 11:34 PM
  #119
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
GrindNMuck has made his mark on this board today.

Myron Gaines* is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 11:43 PM
  #120
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Here's a small 2 minutes of the press conference, with some comments from Hunter and McCarron.

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/12/ne...ess-conference
I just watched this and did it worry anyone else that one of the deciding factors for going to London was because "Montreal wanted to sign him to an ELC".

idk, I've never heard that before, to me, all I heard was I want to chase money.

Maybe he worded it wrong. But before the clip, I was so happy he chose the Hunters over NCAA.

Either way, the hunters will be good for him and I trust Marc Hunters talent evaluation. I think Marc is the brainchild behind the Knights. He does the hard work finding the talent and Dale hones it.

But without Marc to find the talent, there is no long standing winning tradition in London.

macavoy is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 12:01 AM
  #121
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I just watched this and did it worry anyone else that one of the deciding factors for going to London was because "Montreal wanted to sign him to an ELC".

idk, I've never heard that before, to me, all I heard was I want to chase money.

Maybe he worded it wrong. But before the clip, I was so happy he chose the Hunters over NCAA.

Either way, the hunters will be good for him and I trust Marc Hunters talent evaluation. I think Marc is the brainchild behind the Knights. He does the hard work finding the talent and Dale hones it.

But without Marc to find the talent, there is no long standing winning tradition in London.

Lol...go to Universirty in USA? or take a ELC and become a instant multi millionaire ,play in London and go to University in Canada.....If Mike was drafted in 3rd round sure i bet school USA....but he is a 1st rounder....payday play in Canada.No rocket science...whatever potential job a USA University was goona give him,would never equal the ELC..lol What would ya do?ELC =925k per yr++++


Quote:
McCarron spent time talking to Tinordi before making a decision of where to play. First off, Tinordi eased McCarron’s mind about living conditions, saying the billets were “awesome.” Then he talked about how the OHL prepared a player for professional hockey.

“He said the 70 games really get you ready for the NHL,” McCarron said. “He said there’s no really difference of games from when he played in the NHL and here. He said that was a really easy transition. (Tinordi) said the off-ice was pretty good if you push yourself. He’s a pretty big guy, a good guy to follow. I took his word to heart. It definitely had an impact in my decision.”

McCarron also wanted to make sure his mother was satisfied with the schooling aspect of coming to London. Instead of being a Western Michigan Bronco, he’ll be a Western University Mustang.

Would he have chosen the Knights if he didn’t have that contract in his pocket?

“I haven’t really thought about that. I couldn’t say yes or no. I didn’t know,” he said. “I probably would have still come here because the Hunter’s move on so many players. It’s awesome to see all those players come in here and are now playing in the NHL. I want to be part of that.”


Last edited by Habaneros: 07-13-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Habaneros is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 01:02 AM
  #122
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Whatever's going on in this thread is random as hell.

Some random scout wannabe guy drops on his board, has a completely different view of a prospect as the rest of the scouting community, and without having any background and without anyone knowing anything about it, will pop up and randomly say to people "I know hockey much more than you do" again and again. Still, this guy looks serious about becoming a pro scout... with this attitude... and starts criticizing a ****ing proven scout who's respected in the community and who has direct contacts with Trevor Timmins and has proven to be legit.

Yeah, I'll lean towards trusting Grant more than this guy... no matter what his "expertise and backgrounds" are.

Question to you, dude: Have you ever played hockey?

If you didn't, you should not criticize a guy like Grant or any other scout for their opinions.

If you did, odds are you're just very critical towards MacCarron because, from your proximity, odds are you probably just are jealous as hell he had 10 times the talent you have in his left nut.

HiggsBozon is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 01:19 AM
  #123
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
Okay, Now you guys are throwing one thing i sort of messed up on. His hands. Big deal why aren't you guys commenting on my statements on his speed, skating ability, losing weight, Etc.? Well because i am right.

-And was i at the u18's? No. But did i attend and watch 30 games of him? Yes. I can care less about the U18's.


-You're obviously not good at what you are doing, because you are throwing one bad thing i said. And throwing it at me and trying to make me look bad. Why cant you say anything else about my other statements? because you know there right.

--Please tell me what statements were wrong besides hands. Please!!!!!! I know for a fact his Skating ability, Speed, Etc. Is not that good.
His hands are pretty impressive as he scored some beauty goal at the under 18. His weight is pretty good, as he is lean and has a very low fat % i think it was in the top-10 of the combine.

His skating abilities are one of his best asset, much like Tinordi at the same age and people like you came in to tell us that Tinordi was a bad skater, too bad it didn't work their way.

"I'm right" and "you know i'm right" doesn't make real arguments.

Grant has proven to be a very good scout here, he paid his dues and is respected by everyone on this board.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 01:22 AM
  #124
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
His hands are pretty impressive as he scored some beauty goal at the under 18. His weight is pretty good, as he is lean and has a very low fat % i think it was in the top-10 of the combine.

His skating abilities are one of his best asset, much like Tinordi at the same age and people like you came in to tell us that Tinordi was a bad skater, too bad it didn't work their way.

"I'm right" and "you know i'm right" doesn't make real arguments.

Grant has proven to be a very good scout here, he paid his dues and is respected by everyone on this board.
I guess i'm coming a little late to the party haha.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:54 AM
  #125
25get
Registered User
 
25get's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 500
He was not in top-10 for body fat.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=18183

McCarron, Michael: Height 6’5.5″, Weight 234.5 lbs:
At combine

25get is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.