HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Lowe in Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilin Toronto View Post
Sorry about this, but I have to vent.

Am I the only one that's sick of all these polls with Oilers' draft picks. I keep seeing Mac vs RNH, Mac vs Yak, Mac vs Hall, and we keep getting beat down over and over again. The only poll that's even close is Mac vs Hall. Hall just finished the year in the top 10 in scoring, playing the fewest TOI of all those in the top 10, and it's evenly split between Hall and MAC. What does Hall need to do.

Yak is on pace for a 30 goal rookie season, and the voting isn't even close in favor of MAC.

Just frustrating as heck. Is it jealousy, envy or just fear of what we've amassed!
Question: Who is Mac?
No way you are talking about Mackinnon. He is not even going to be the best player in his draft year. Please.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:37 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Honestly I've pretty much given up listing all the possible UFA players that the Oilers could've/should've gotten to help them in the bottom 6 this year.

Looks like MacT is generally content with what's he amassed so far... maybe he's struck out too much and is punch drunk at this stage... maybe he has a cauliflower ear from talking on the phone too long and has said **** it... let the chips fall where they may with this roster this season. Whatever it is he seems to be leaning towards the Hemsky move as his last major move to do anything with the roster.

I can still see a lot of room for improvement and moves that could possible be made to make the roster better but I don't know if MacT is willing (or able) to do much more than he has so far.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:44 AM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honestly I've pretty much given up listing all the possible UFA players that the Oilers could've/should've gotten to help them in the bottom 6 this year.

Looks like MacT is generally content with what's he amassed so far... maybe he's struck out too much and is punch drunk at this stage... maybe he has a cauliflower ear from talking on the phone too long and has said **** it... let the chips fall where they may with this roster this season. Whatever it is he seems to be leaning towards the Hemsky move as his last major move to do anything with the roster.

I can still see a lot of room for improvement and moves that could possible be made to make the roster better but I don't know if MacT is willing (or able) to do much more than he has so far.
People were saying that before the Perron trade too. You never know with Mac. One thing I'd bet money on is that former coach MacT is not satisfied looking at the bottom six he has right now. This is the guy who played Pisani at center as a "send some eff'n help" move. Whether or not he'll be able to accomplish that is another thing, but I'd be willing to bet that he isn't happy with the current state of his forwards.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:47 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

Meh I see it as him waiting to see what he can get for Hemsky. No point signing a 3rd liner if your able to get someone better for Hemsky. I think he's got two big deals left to make, one involving Petry for an upgrade on RD, and one with Hemmer for an overpaid 3rd line LW. I think he waits until TDD then upgrades our 3rd line RW and moves N.Schultz. At least thats what I hope happens.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:02 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Belanger signing in the KHL?

Hilarious.
http://www.rds.ca/vid%C3%A9os/un-%C3...C3%A9-1.640281

It begs the honest question....there have been many terrible players to wear Oiler silks over the years but honestly I'm trying to remember the last Oiler to play at least 100 games here and be THIS horrible. Strudwick was bad and Steady Steve was horrific his last couple of years but I think you'd have to back to Scott Ferguson?
O 'Sullivan was pretty bad.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:04 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Cory Cross.
More funnier is we traded him to Pitt. Someone must have been hung over that day man.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:16 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
More funnier is we traded him to Pitt. Someone must have been hung over that day man.
Quite possibly the single best 1 year any Oiler GM has had in team history. Sather accumulated a lot of talent over the span of 4-5 years, but what Lowe did that one year was amazing.

Still remember HF that year. "Let's trade Rita and Cross for something good." "Nah, no one wants our trash." "What about Salmelainen?" "No one will give up anything good for him."

Next day: "WTF?"

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-13-2013, 02:16 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Bergeron is going make 6.5 over 8 years.

He'll probably be a 60 point guy.

he's a 2C

I don't think it's that much of a joke.
Did you just compare the best 2 way centre in the league with Gagner? Did you honestly just put Patrice *********g Bergeron and Sam Gagner in the same sentence? Do you think they are in the same universe as far as ability, status in the league, and importance to their team, and value to every team in the league?

WTF
Seriously, Hang your head in ********** shame. Wow.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:24 AM
oilman9482

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post
A 40-50 point Couturier is better for our team than a 50-60 point Gagner IMO.
Exactly, I would much rather have Couturier since he is a big body and can play both sides of the puck. Gagner has some nifty puckhandling ability but he is very overrated in my opinion. If I was MacT I would trade him this summer while his value is high.
I think we need a 2nd line centre with some size and two-way ability. Gagner is small and his defensive game is below average.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:25 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Did you just compare the best 2 way centre in the league with Gagner? Did you honestly just put Patrice *********g Bergeron and Sam Gagner in the same sentence? Do you think they are in the same universe as far as ability, status in the league, and importance to their team, and value to every team in the league?

WTF
Seriously, Hang your head in ********** shame. Wow.
Yep, I did. I said they were both 2Cs.

I broke the universe.

Sorry I offended you.

I just think 50 points from a 2C is plenty and is worth 5 mil. Two or three years ago, it's a million or two less.

I am only comparing it because it's a recent signing of a 2C.

Crucify me if you want. I have no shame.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:27 AM
B A T M A N*

I know this is kind of OT, but can someone make a Perron vs. Clarkson and/or Eberle vs. Lupul poll in the polls sections - I can't since I'm a rookie

Old
07-13-2013, 02:28 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Quite possibly the single best 1 year any Oiler GM has had in team history. Sather accumulated a lot of talent over the span of 4-5 years, but what Lowe did that one year was amazing.

Still remember HF that year. "Let's trade Rita and Cross for something good." "Nah, no one wants our trash." "What about Salmelainen?" "No one will give up anything good for him."

it was. The trades that year are rediculous. Tarnstrom was great in Pitts too. I never understood that. Samsonov for a pick (Lucic, yikes--but we didnt know that), and Reasoner. But we already knew we could grab Rem Murray for our 4th C and everyone and MacT totally trusted him and were excited for a playoff run with him (they knew his condition and chances that was his last season). a pick for Roloson.

We were a VERY deep team. Before the series started i still thought we needed Ulanov instead of Tarny/MAB. We needed to play that team physical. Meh. Really we got barely beat by Staios errors and slightly better centres. It was the first series i knew our depth was actually worse than our opponents. A 4th line of Williams Weight and Recchi. Not much else to say. So when i looked at that i thought we needed a physical, shot blocking, body smashing, straight line D man.
So close.
The Amazing thing about that run was the Roli injury cant even be used as an excuse because Jussi played out of his mind. Even in game 2 SCF Jussi was the only guy who showed up and could have been a blow out after 20. He was spectacular.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:32 AM
B A T M A N*

Quote:

What were the trades? I forget

Old
07-13-2013, 02:34 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Yep, I did. I said they were both 2Cs.

I broke the universe.

Sorry I offended you.

I just think 50 points from a 2C is plenty and is worth 5 mil. Two or three years ago, it's a million or two less.

I am only comparing it because it's a recent signing of a 2C.

Crucify me if you want. I have no shame.
While i agree 5 M is about what a 50PT 2C will command --for his UFA years.--- I also think the Oilers are bringing up whether or not Gagner is a NHL C at all. YOu know...faceoffs, puck possession. Frankly he cant hack it for the other requirements of a C. So in my opinion he maxes at 5M for UFA premium years. He is likely arguing he is in the 60 pt range etc... but the Oilers counter with ...you suck at your position and we will never be a playoff team losing the puck as much as we do when you are on the ice. 5M is fair.

Your last sentence made me laugh. Well played.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:36 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Cross and Rita for Tarnstrom
Salmelainen for Spacek
Reasoner and 2nd (Lucic ouch) for Samsonov
1st for Roloson

I cant remember if we traded for Murray or gave up an asset for a team to not claim Murray on waivers and then grabbed him.

Pronger and Peca were salary dumps so they dont really count as steals.

Spacek clicked with Pronger on the PP and things snowballed

as i said before...we ended up being an extremely deep team. we almost had an entire other practice team of black aces (healthy scratches following the team)

Last edited by oilinblood: 07-13-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old
07-13-2013, 02:40 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Pronger for Brewer, Lynch and Woywitka
Peca for York and a pick
Roloson for a 1st round pick
Samsonov for Reasoner and a pick
Spacek for Salmelainen
Tarnstrom for Rita and Cross
Signed Rem Murray

So basically a franchise HOF D-man, a Selke-calibre playoff hero shutdown C, a legitimate starting goaltender, a Top 6 winger, two Top 4 defencemen, and a bottom 6 center for a Top 4 defenceman, a Top 6 forward, a bottom 6 centre and a bunch of picks.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:43 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Our number 1 priority right now should be to get Boyd Gordon a buddy on the shutdown line so we can run them out against tough competition and bad zone starts freeing up our top 6 for easier match-ups and less defensive zone starts. Jones and Joensuu on his line won't cut it, we need atleast one player who is more of a defense first player then we can run out either Joensuu or Jones to fill out the rest of the line. Of the remaining UFA's both Cleary and Gagne would be interesting options as they are both good defensively, but have some offense to their kit that they can contribute, they are both in decline but on short term deals would be good options, sadly from what I've read both are already signed essentially just waiting for their respective teams to clear bodies/ cap space. Langenbrunner was a great defensive player, I'm not sure if that is still the case, regardless with his age and coming off a serious hip injury I couldn't see offering him anymore than a camp tryout and seeing if he is still good enough to contribute from there. If we are going to get this player it will likely have to come from the Hemsky trade or by chance someone may need to clear capspace or room on their roster and we might get who we need for a pick or a prospect.

The second thing I'd like to address is the 4th line center cause I don't think we really have one, it seems management is content on this front, they want to hand the job to Lander, and if that doesn't pan out it will be either Acton or Arcobello called up and failing that we will likely see Smyth back at center .

Old
07-13-2013, 02:44 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Peca for York and a pick
Spacek for Salmelainen
Signed Rem Murray

So basically a franchise HOF D-man, a Selke-calibre playoff hero shutdown C, a legitimate starting goaltender, a Top 6 winger, two Top 4 defencemen, and a bottom 6 center for a Top 4 defenceman, a Top 6 forward, a bottom 6 centre and a bunch of picks.
Not trying to be a **** but this is wrong. reason why i bring it up is that i am trying to remember what happened. He was with NSH... but waived, or did we trade for him. They werent willing to play him in his condition.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:46 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Not trying to be a **** but this is wrong. reason why i bring it up is that i am trying to remember what happened. He was with NSH... but waived, or did we trade for him. They werent willing to play him in his condition.
I believe they waived and released him and then we signed him, but I could be wrong.

I also forgot that we signed Todd Harvey that year. A Todd Harvey would be one of our best bottom 6 players this year, which is quite sad.

Man...

Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Samsonov - Peca - Dvorak
Torres - Stoll - Pisani
Moreau - Murray - Harvey

Pronger - Bergeron
Spacek - Smith
Tarnstrom - Staios/Greene

Roloson

*sheds a tear*

There are probably only two holes on that entire roster, and they aren't really holes, but rather pieces that aren't quite as good as the other parts of the roster.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:46 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Our number 1 priority right now should be to get Boyd Gordon a buddy on the shutdown line so we can run them out against tough competition and bad zone starts freeing up our top 6 for easier match-ups and less defensive zone starts. Jones and Joensuu on his line won't cut it, we need atleast one player who is more of a defense first player then we can run out either Joensuu or Jones to fill out the rest of the line. Of the remaining UFA's both Cleary and Gagne would be interesting options as they are both good defensively, but have some offense to their kit that they can contribute, they are both in decline but on short term deals would be good options, sadly from what I've read both are already signed essentially just waiting for their respective teams to clear bodies/ cap space. Langenbrunner was a great defensive player, I'm not sure if that is still the case, regardless with his age and coming off a serious hip injury I couldn't see offering him anymore than a camp tryout and seeing if he is still good enough to contribute from there. If we are going to get this player it will likely have to come from the Hemsky trade or by chance someone may need to clear capspace or room on their roster and we might get who we need for a pick or a prospect.

The second thing I'd like to address is the 4th line center cause I don't think we really have one, it seems management is content on this front, they want to hand the job to Lander, and if that doesn't pan out it will be either Acton or Arcobello called up and failing that we will likely see Smyth back at center .

I would love to have Cleary. Knowing how much MacT loved the guy, and kept preaching for people in edmonton to understand junior scorers dont always become nhl scorers... i would have to think that...

MACT likely already made an offer and got turned down.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:51 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
I believe they waived and released him and then we signed him, but I could be wrong.

I also forgot that we signed Todd Harvey that year. A Todd Harvey would be one of our best bottom 6 players this year, which is quite sad.
Dvorak Murray HArvey. Was a good line. Underrated and F*n snake bit beyond belief. They were a very dependable line. I really wanted Murray to get one in the finals... and to a lesser extent Devo because that line did all the little things and seldom got burned. They certainly never cost us games and most times made simple plays and built momentum. Won most of their shifts even versus Carolina.

I still wish we had Ulanov in that lineup as a 7th dman for the series. Torres proved my point that we had to make it a long series and pound their forwards. When weight wwent down, and then Recchi was hobbled, then Brindamour lost a few step and was looking beat up. I could only think of what Ulanov could have accomplished in a few of the early games. Just finishing checks like he did.

the D was:
Pronger --Smith
Spacek---Staios (argh..staios made ALOT of bad plays)
TArny/MAB---Greene

Greene had a lot of bad calls against him --for simply being a rookie and paying his dues as a physical defender refs dont care about. That was a pretty strong Right side for physicality and i remember Staios driving me nuts almost every game. Greene wouldnt have been able to move up in ice time. Shame. Strong Right D side though. Even with Staios playing worhth ****

Last edited by oilinblood: 07-13-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old
07-13-2013, 02:53 AM
RisingSun
Registered Potato

Quote:
Peca for York and a pick
Spacek for Salmelainen
Signed Rem Murray

Why the **** can't MacT do that right now?

Old
07-13-2013, 02:54 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:

Our bottom 6 that year was a huge reason for our success. That '06 team is exactly how I wish we were built right now. Big, rugged, physical team with depth, goaltending, rock solid defense and very good on faceoffs. It's literally the exact opposite now.

I feel like that was a classic Oilers roster. Not a lot of skill, but a hard working gritty team. I loved watching them that year. And yes, the '06 Harvey would be our best bottom 6 player right now.

Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Samsonov - Peca - Dvorak
Torres - Stoll - Pisani
Moreau - Murray - Harvey
Laraque, Winchester

Pronger - Smith
Spacek - Staios
Bergeron - Greene
Tarnstrom

Roloson
Markkanen

Wow..

Old
07-13-2013, 02:59 AM
RisingSun
Registered Potato

Quote:

Man...

Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Samsonov - Peca - Dvorak
Torres - Stoll - Pisani
Moreau - Murray - Harvey

Pronger - Bergeron
Spacek - Smith
Tarnstrom - Staios/Greene

Roloson

*sheds a tear*

Old
07-13-2013, 03:03 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

If we had one gamebreaking talent on offense like we had on defense with Pronger, I believe we win the Cup easily that year. Our depth was that good. All we needed was a Staal-type player.

Closed Thread