HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rasmus Ristolainen signs ELC

Old
07-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
There are signing windows (end of season until 7/15 is the normal window, 8/15 late window, I believe teams have to pay an additional $100,000 compensation) that allow them to sign an NHL contract and be a candidate to attend training camp (if the team chooses so), but this does not terminate the contract.
The two contracts can run concurrently because the NHL contract does not go into effect unless the player plays more than nine NHL games in one season or enters his 20 year old season.
Got it, thanks

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:41 PM
26CornerBlitz

Sabres website signing announcement: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BUF|home

Hope Risto makes it right out of camp.

26CornerBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:49 PM
jfb392

Quote:
– After the Sabres drafted Rasmus Ristolainen last month, amateur scouting director Kevin Devine said the 18-year-old defenseman could play in Rochester if he doesn’t make the big club.

On Wednesday, though, Ristolainen said he had a European contract and didn’t think he could play in the minors.

Regier said Friday playing arrangements would be negotiated in Ristolainen’s NHL contract. Hours later, the Sabres signed the eighth overall pick to a three-year, entry-level deal.

No details about were given. Regier said the Sabres would prefer to have the Finn develop close to Buffalo.
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sab...ng-camp-opens/

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:58 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Darcy said the negotiations with Risto and his agent would determine where he plays. I'm assuming there are also some negotiations with his team in Finland.

Makes more sense for him to be here. Armia needed to keep getting bigger and competing against men, which he could do in Finland. Risto doesn't need to get any bigger; he's a wall. Let him come here, get used to the ice, and barring us staying completely healthy, he'll be up by midseason.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm29 View Post
Darcy said the negotiations with Risto and his agent would determine where he plays. I'm assuming there are also some negotiations with his team in Finland.

Makes more sense for him to be here. Armia needed to keep getting bigger and competing against men, which he could do in Finland. Risto doesn't need to get any bigger; he's a wall. Let him come here, get used to the ice, and barring us staying completely healthy, he'll be up by midseason.
There is nothing wrong with letting an 18-year old develop in his home country.

07-12-2013, 11:48 PM
Slapshot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
There is nothing wrong with letting an 18-year old develop in his home country.
I agree. Besides, isn't the quality of competition in the FEL (and playing against men) a step above the AHL?

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot85 View Post
I agree. Besides, isn't the quality of competition in the FEL (and playing against men) a step above the AHL?
Depending on opinion, it can be viewed as better, about the same, or slightly worse. I'd rather he mature a bit more at home, in the FEL.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot85 View Post
According to some stat out there, it's slightly above the level of play of the AHL (no idea how they determined that). With that said, there's something to be said for playing on the North American size rink against some of the prospects of other clubs destined for the NHL. Plus, being in the AHL would make him available for injury recall and might get him a look at the NHL level. I think being in Rochester would be ideal, but I'm not going to be too concerned if he goes back to Finland either.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:58 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
According to some stat out there, it's slightly above the level of play of the AHL (no idea how they determined that). With that said, there's something to be said for playing on the North American size rink against some of the prospects of other clubs destined for the NHL. Plus, being in the AHL would make him available for injury recall and might get him a look at the NHL level. I think being in Rochester would be ideal, but I'm not going to be too concerned if he goes back to Finland either.
Rink size is less of an issue with Finland than with other countries since they play on a surface slightly smaller than the international size anyways IIRC.

But even otherwise, I don't think the adjustment to a smaller rink should be a primary consideration.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:18 AM
indigoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
Sabres website signing announcement: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BUF|home

Hope Risto makes it right out of camp.
Same here. Exciting; and I think it may be different from Armia because the team SEEMS to be going for the young team. I'd be somewhat disappointed if he isn't in a Sabres jersey come October.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:33 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Zero reason to rush him over to the AHL, much less the NHL.

- he openly stated he has a huge role and plays a lot of minutes, all situations, in a mens league
- rink size isn't as big as other areas in Europe, as I gathered last year when looking at the FEL
- we have guys in McBain, Pysyk, McNabb, even JGL, who should be assessed in an effort to gauge where they stand in the future
_____
I say let him marinate in minutes in Finland.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:24 AM
Tachycineta

I have no problem letting him stay in Finland for a year. I don't know specific national (league) differences, if there even are any significant ones between Sweden/Finland not regulated by IIHF but even if we could sign him for Rochester, I'd rather he develop a year in Finland and maybe do his army commitment. No need to get all Ducky (what Anaheim did with Lindholm, who had signed a one year extension with Rogle in April/May of 2012).

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:27 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I wouldn't mind keeping him in Finland, but I want him to get accustomed to the NA game. He's absolutely ready for the NA game, and while he could probably still develop in Finland it seems like a lateral move IMO.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:06 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I wouldn't mind keeping him in Finland, but I want him to get accustomed to the NA game. He's absolutely ready for the NA game, and while he could probably still develop in Finland it seems like a lateral move IMO.
Is he though?
He had a horrible second half that caused him to sink like a rock in the rankings, so it's not like he was too good for the SM-liiga or something.

Odds are against any teenage defenseman being ready for the NHL and putting him in Rochester would just tempt D'Arse to call him up too soon.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:11 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

No problem with it, just idk if he's NHL ready yet. Time will tell

SabresBillsBuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:52 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He had a horrible second half that caused him to sink like a rock in the rankings
Not true. His team played quite badly, but Ristolainen was still solid for most of the time. And remember that he ended the season with the men's national team that was preparing for the World Championship's. He didn't make the final team, but performed well in the 4 pre-tournament games he played in.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:55 AM
Finnpin

I hope Rasmus goes to AHL over TPS.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:06 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
I tried to read the whole thread and came to conclusion that's illegal (or what's the word "not allowed by the existing contracts between whoever"). What's the final truth?

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:10 AM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Yeah, sure you do as a Jokerit fan (I think?). I just hope decisions are made soon, whether it be him playing in the NHL, in TPS or Buffalo buying out his contract for him to play in the AHL. We have a season starting over here as well in a few months, and it'd be nice to know if need a replacement.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:48 AM
kenfury

He also has his service requirement. Better to get those six months over with sooner rather than later. I'm guessing Finland this year, AHL/spot NHL duty next, full time NHL in the third year of his ELC. Also a year in Finland keeps him away from the trainwreck this year will be, which may not be the best thing to force on an 18 year old. Better to have Vets deal with a 50 loss season.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:51 AM
SoFFacet

If he doesn't do his service this year, when exactly does he do it? Seems like a no brainer to me.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
He also has his service requirement. Better to get those six months over with sooner rather than later. I'm guessing Finland this year, AHL/spot NHL duty next, full time NHL in the third year of his ELC. Also a year in Finland keeps him away from the trainwreck this year will be, which may not be the best thing to force on an 18 year old. Better to have Vets deal with a 50 loss season.
Pretty sure it's only a few weeks these guys

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Yeah the service for guys like Ristolainen is a cakewalk, he'll get a leave for all the practices and games, and the service is very lax all in all for top athletes serving in Lahti, where athletes have their own unit.

I'm thinking he'll be with TPS next year, serve his time and then crosses the pond

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:19 AM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Pretty sure it's only a few weeks these guys
Nope 165 days by age 28, 45 of which are basic training and must be a block. At least that is what wikipedia says and if it is on the internet it must be true.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
and the service is very lax all in all for top athletes serving in Lahti, where athletes have their own unit.
Not that it matters, but the regiment in Lahti will be closed by the end of 2014. That sport unit is said to be moved to Santahamina and Kajaani.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote