HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Kinda sickens me when athletes complain about only seeing $3 million for every $10 million on their contracts. You're getting paid ridiculous amounts of money to PLAY a SPORT that you LOVE.

I hate hate hate the amount of money involved in entertainment.
They're the best in the world at what they do, in a field people value and are willing to spend money on. People in that situation are going to get paid a lot of money. That's just how it works.

07-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Kinda sickens me when athletes complain about only seeing $3 million for every $10 million on their contracts. You're getting paid ridiculous amounts of money to PLAY a SPORT that you LOVE.

They make the industry that they are working for BILLIONS. They are paid rightfully so. Is it right compared to other professions? Probably not but they are paid what they deserve when you look at the industry as a whole.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
07-12-2013, 02:20 PM
El Emperor

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I'm thinking this whole thing is a mutual agreement betweeen the Devils and Kovalchuk.

I know reports and whatnot labeled Kovy as kinda a dick, but for him to wait until after the draft AND free agency, that is a complete dick move. I'm starting to think this was in discussion for a very long time.

Lamoriello had two major issues to contend with.. (1) Broduer needs a replacement close to immediately and (2) what to do with Clarkson, who would cost a lot to resign, especially with such a small timeframe of putting up the stats that set his price so high.

Had Kovy's retirement announcement come out prior to the draft, there would be way too much pressure on Lamoriello and the Devils organization to use the pick instead of trading for Broduer's replacement. Had the announcement come out before free agency, there would have been a lot of pressure to resign Clarkson, and if at a price similar to what Toronto gave him, a big mistake.

Now, the Devils have a built-in scapegoat for a few seasons that could see them as basement dwellers (could is the key word... who knows). All of the hate is on Kovy.

Let's not forget, their cap penalty will only be $250k, instead of around $2M, had he decided to retire a few years down the road (or $4.6M to retire 6 years down the road).

Old
07-12-2013, 03:05 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
They're the best in the world at what they do, in a field people value and are willing to spend money on. People in that situation are going to get paid a lot of money. That's just how it works.
I'm not blaming or hating on the actual athletes, musicians, actors or artists. I know how it works, and unfortunately, I hate how it works. "It is what it is" is the biggest steaming pile of *******.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
They make the industry that they are working for BILLIONS. They are paid rightfully so. Is it right compared to other professions? Probably not but they are paid what they deserve when you look at the industry as a whole.
Right, and like I said, I hate hate hate the amount of money in entertainment. I used to write music and play in bands and I would be more than happy if people just liked my music. I didn't and do not care for money. I'm not saying that most performers don't agree with me, I understand that their are higher powers banking on most of the loot. I hate those people, not the actors, musicians and athletes.

I just hate money. Worst invention in the history of mankind. Let's go back to a barter system please. The world we live in is rather ****ed. Just look how celebrated alcohol is, and how we're raised separating "drugs and alcohol," when alcohol is one of, if not the worst drugs available. Miller, Busch and Coors all have freaking stadiums. Are we going to have Northern Lights Stadium when weed is legalized, taxed and distributed? Maybe Black Tar Field?

Jay Z's net worth is 500 million dollars. Student loan rates just doubled. What a ****ing joke.

[/rant]

Old
07-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not blaming or hating on the actual athletes, musicians, actors or artists. I know how it works, and unfortunately, I hate how it works. "It is what it is" is the biggest steaming pile of *******.

Right, and like I said, I hate hate hate the amount of money in entertainment. I used to write music and play in bands and I would be more than happy if people just liked my music. I didn't and do not care for money. I'm not saying that most performers don't agree with me, I understand that their are higher powers banking on most of the loot. I hate those people, not the actors, musicians and athletes.

I just hate money. Worst invention in the history of mankind. Let's go back to a barter system please. The world we live in is rather ****ed. Just look how celebrated alcohol is, and how we're raised separating "drugs and alcohol," when alcohol is one of, if not the worst drugs available. Miller, Busch and Coors all have freaking stadiums. Are we going to have Northern Lights Stadium when weed is legalized, taxed and distributed? Maybe Black Tar Field?

Jay Z's net worth is 500 million dollars. Student loan rates just doubled. What a ****ing joke.

[/rant]

Oh and for the record, players make about 5.7-6.5m per 10m they make before taxes. Let him go to Russia. I've been there. It's a **** city. I'd rather live in Newark

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-14-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old
07-12-2013, 04:10 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I'm thinking this whole thing is a mutual agreement betweeen the Devils and Kovalchuk.

I know reports and whatnot labeled Kovy as kinda a dick, but for him to wait until after the draft AND free agency, that is a complete dick move. I'm starting to think this was in discussion for a very long time.

Lamoriello had two major issues to contend with.. (1) Broduer needs a replacement close to immediately and (2) what to do with Clarkson, who would cost a lot to resign, especially with such a small timeframe of putting up the stats that set his price so high.

Had Kovy's retirement announcement come out prior to the draft, there would be way too much pressure on Lamoriello and the Devils organization to use the pick instead of trading for Broduer's replacement. Had the announcement come out before free agency, there would have been a lot of pressure to resign Clarkson, and if at a price similar to what Toronto gave him, a big mistake.

Now, the Devils have a built-in scapegoat for a few seasons that could see them as basement dwellers (could is the key word... who knows). All of the hate is on Kovy.

Let's not forget, their cap penalty will only be $250k, instead of around $2M, had he decided to retire a few years down the road (or $4.6M to retire 6 years down the road).

I strongly believe that you are right, I also believe that they vetted NHL offices prior to the decision- TSN published Bill Daly's response/ cap penalty calculations along with announcement about Kovy retirement.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:16 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
This post just topped decadesoffutility in terms of stupidity.

Oh and for the record, players make about 5.7-6.5m per 10m they make before taxes. Let him go to Russia. I've been there. It's a **** city. I'd rather live in Newark
I disagree. Society's priorities are definitely ass-backwards. Doctors and nurses, police officers and firefighters should be getting a lot more money than what they do. Toss in big raises for teachers, too. But we do love our bread and circuses. I understand it's supply and demand, but it's pretty excessive.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:26 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I disagree. Society's priorities are definitely ass-backwards. Doctors and nurses, police officers and firefighters should be getting a lot more money than what they do. Toss in big raises for teachers, too. But we do love our bread and circuses. I understand it's supply and demand, but it's pretty excessive.
It's not supply and demand, is revenue generation. Better players create more revenue which is why they receive high compensation.

Maybe it is supply and demand. Not many Kovys out there.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:30 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I don't care what players are paid, it's what they're worth to the people writing the checks. Good for them.

There is no way the NHL makes billions. They might bring in billions, but after costs ( like player salaries) they're not close to "making" billions.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:34 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
It's not supply and demand, is revenue generation. Better players create more revenue which is why they receive high compensation.
But professional sports exist in a society that places a high value on entertainment. Because of this, there is a huge demand for gifted actors, athletes and other performers. This demand goes hand in hand with your point of revenue generation. When unions finally imposed themselves into the big business of professional sports, the salaries blossomed for those who had the highest talent (ie, supply), and in line with the huge revenue stream.

That's what I was driving at.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:46 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
What do people think about the Bergeron signing? I think $6.5M is a GREAT cap hit for a player of his caliber, but the 8 years would scare me if I was a Bruins fan with his injury history. But it might be that the cap hit comes at the expense of term, and that's a trade I'd be willing to make if I'm the Bruins.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

[/rant]
You almost had me until there....

Old
07-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Bryz4shiz

This is a pretty funny set of tweets from ESPN and the Sharks. It looks like the Sharks have since deleted the tweet

http://deadspin.com/hey-espn-thought...ghts-756516530

Old
07-13-2013, 08:41 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:

Old
07-13-2013, 10:04 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Zherdev's contract was terminated by his KHL team.

I feel like this should be brought out:

What a waste of talent.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:10 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

What a waste of talent.
The guy never bought into systemized hockey. He just wanted score some goals. Everything else... Nah.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:24 AM
SgtJoseph

Personally I never agreed with Government taxing ones income, or taxing someone for being successful etc.......Should be a straight up fair tax across the board.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Kovalchuk's sister said he plans on coming back to the NHL to play in 3 years.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The guy never bought into systemized hockey. He just wanted score some goals. Everything else... Nah.
Chicks dig goals

Old
07-13-2013, 03:52 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

What a waste of talent.
Whoa, he's got some serious acne scars.

Old
07-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
mother russia hasn't heard of proactive apparenty

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-13-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Suggestion sent to support/admins
Old
07-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
that he does, and that image has some seriously bad photoshopping done to it under his eyes/on his nose i'm guessing to cover some of it up too, yeeesh

Old
07-13-2013, 08:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Seriously, if this guy could work into a system, he would of never left Columbus.

Old
07-13-2013, 09:24 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Kovalchuk's sister said he plans on coming back to the NHL to play in 3 years.
called it!

Old
07-13-2013, 10:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Watching the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals series (Classic NHL) on the NHL Network...my god I (selectively) forgot just how bad our goaltending was .....Ben Eager scoring the game winning goal on Leighton in game 2 was brutal...

Ugh..

Closed Thread