Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Five members of the Winnipeg Jets file for salary arbitration

Old
07-12-2013, 10:05 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
Indeed, correlation does not imply causation.

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:55 PM
devin1487

vCash: 500
It is tough to dispute something excel'ed so hard but I will just look to the example of former Jets Goalie Nik Khabibulin who was not given the vote of confidence of the organization, held out, and was traded to become one of the leagues bonafide elite goaltenders.

This is stretching further from the argument, but to pay a guy the going rate in hopes he will fulfil his cannot be deemed a mistake by a gm is the main point I'm trying to drive home.

devin1487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:56 AM
Jets
All hat, no cattle.

anyone else have a bad feeling we only get 1 or 2 of these guys signed before their hearings...? I just have a bad vibe that we might not get Wheeler or Little down to a deal and are forced to pay the arbitrator contract.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:11 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Now that would be a tragedy since they're only eligible for one year contracts since they're UFA in a year.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:15 AM
StronGeer
Some say...

vCash: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
anyone else have a bad feeling we only get 1 or 2 of these guys signed before their hearings...? I just have a bad vibe that we might not get Wheeler or Little down to a deal and are forced to pay the arbitrator contract.
The amount the arbitrator would deem appropriate is not my concern, it's the short term that arbitrated contracts are which would have them become UFAs in very short order. That is my concern with arbitration.

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:24 AM
Jets
All hat, no cattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
The amount the arbitrator would deem appropriate is not my concern, it's the short term that arbitrated contracts are which would have them become UFAs in very short order. That is my concern with arbitration.
I worded that poorly, but I meant that as well with my point. There's a strong possibility we see some 2 year arbitration deals on a few of our top liners and lose them in a year or 2.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:39 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Yep. I keep telling myself it is all just part of the process, but with each passing day and no word on any signings I get a little more nervous. Going to arbitration on any one of the big 3 is bad news for the Jets. As others have mentioned it is not the amount but the term. IMO going to arbitration would greatly reduce the chances of any one of them being long term Jets.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:41 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Yep. I keep telling myself it is all just part of the process, but with each passing day and no word on any signings I get a little more nervous. Going to arbitration on any one of the big 3 is bad news for the Jets. As others have mentioned it is not the amount but the term. IMO going to arbitration would greatly reduce the chances of any one of them being long term Jets.
I seriously doubt any of them make it to arbitration. Just part of the negotiation tools available to the player (that they fought hard for in the CBA), and part of the process, IMHO.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:51 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I seriously doubt any of them make it to arbitration. Just part of the negotiation tools available to the player (that they fought hard for in the CBA), and part of the process, IMHO.
I agree about it being part of the process, but with so many RFA's and time running down, I'm getting a little worried Chevy may over play his hand. Arbitration hearings have the nasty tendency of souring relationships between players and their teams.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:09 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

I can see Blake being tough to get done for cheep. He strikes me as a player who loves it here but a person who is going to understand his value as a UFA therefore not sell those years at much of a discount nor should he.

Another test for Chevy but that is all part of the job.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:42 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I agree about it being part of the process, but with so many RFA's and time running down, I'm getting a little worried Chevy may over play his hand. Arbitration hearings have the nasty tendency of souring relationships between players and their teams.
...which is why I don't think these negotiations make it to arbitration. Unfortunately, we have no idea where they are in the process. Chevy might be close, but the players opted to file for arbitration anyway as that's their right under the CBA. I'd do it if I were them.

They could also be very far apart - we simply don't know, but I do get the feeling that Chevy sees these guys as very key contributors and part of the core. They also have that passion, character and will to win that Chevy covets.

I think all three of them get locked up before arbitration. Just a feeling, sure, but IMHO they are too important to not get signed, and its also extremely important to not send the wrong message by allowing them to go to arbitration.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:48 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
...which is why I don't think these negotiations make it to arbitration. Unfortunately, we have no idea where they are in the process. Chevy might be close, but the players opted to file for arbitration anyway as that's their right under the CBA. I'd do it if I were them.

They could also be very far apart - we simply don't know, but I do get the feeling that Chevy sees these guys as very key contributors and part of the core. They also have that passion, character and will to win that Chevy covets.

I think all three of them get locked up before arbitration. Just a feeling, sure, but IMHO they are too important to not get signed, and its also extremely important to not send the wrong message by allowing them to go to arbitration.
Good post! If I were to guess, he's probably close with Bogo and Little and further apart with Wheeler. Tangradi is probably looking for a one/way deal at similar cash and given his lack of success in the NHL so far I can't see him wanting to go through arbitration and potentially burn bridges with the team that gave him a second chance. I have no idea about Postma though as his Qualifying offer would have been a one/way deal and he really hasn't done much to warrant more.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:08 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
Why I think all three will sign a long term contract b4 arbitration?

Security

All 3 players have had middle to low prove to me your worth it contracts in the last few yrs..... 2yrs at 2.5 mill or so........ a 4 or 5 yr deal for Little or Wheeler will set them up for life 16-25 million guaranteed........Bogo 6-8 year deal worth $30 -44 million will do the same ........

.............. Set for Life............ like the Lottery scratch ticket..........

If I were any of these three I would not take the chance on a year contract that I have to play balls to the wall great hockey to show the other 29 GMS that I am the player they want to pay big bucks next year........ when I got a GM willing to do it this year .....Guaranteed contract........

It would be a huge risk with the chance of suffering a career ending injury a year b4 you cash in BIG TIME........with a concussion that puts you out for 15 months you missed your big pay day.......

I will be surprised if any of these 3 risk their security and take on a 1 year deal......... Also if Bogo takes an 8 year deal and Little and Wheeler take 4/5 year deals they will all be about 31 when they expire and can sign another big contract then............just IMHO

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:13 AM
roosemoose

I think most of us don't like the lack of news coming from the Jets as far as negotiations are going. If all three would go to arbitration that would really hurt the Jets future of being some what of a contender....that being said I think they will get locked up but I really hope to start hearing some type of news regarding these players soon!

roosemoose is offline   Reply With Quote