HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix XCVII: Forget it, Jake. It's Glendale.

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 04:29 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Are you saying that the BOG is comprised of sheep or that they are gulllible?
Not all of them. The BoG is comprised of a few teams that are the power brokers who along with Bettman, decide everything, and have gotten the other teams to just follow along if they want to stay members of the club. The price of staying a member for quite a few teams is to be sheep. Don't want your revenue sharing cut off now do you.

Don't kid yourself for one second that a team like Carolina has the same sway at the governors table as Boston. There was an article ( denied by all of course.. got to make it look like we are all one big happy family ) that came out during the CBA talks that Boston told the Jets during a heated meeting to basically shut up and take a seat and we will let you know when we want your opinion. There are very few equals in that room.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Tinalera

While I'm not sure it will affect the deal in anyway (but in this saga who really can tell anymore)-it sounds like Alvarez is at the least looking to find something of interest-
I think I know what she's referring to-as has been discussed, it probably isn't enough to "prove" anything, but she obviously thinks she make something out of the connections.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Alright, here goes.... after much prodding I will give my take on the BOG's reasoning for what has unfolded.

The reason I've kept this to myself is because frankly it's really just not very good business acumen, but you've got to consider that we are dealing with a board full of egos. Also, this is my take and it's really not worth an ant hill of beans!

The NHL and it's BOG's so despise Ballsille and what he did that they are willing to go to such lenghts to prove the point that no upstart that is not one of their own will get away with such shenanigans, now or in the future. They look at the 85 mil. as a means of keeping their money safe, in the hopes that it can be recouped through the current deal, or future relocation.

Is this good business? Short term - no. Long term - only time will tell.
This may certainly be a key factor along with all the pro leagues fighting the legal fight to ensure that only they will decide who gets to join their clubs. Mind you, I think JB's derision of the NHL power brokers is equaled only by them.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:48 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Not all of them. The BoG is comprised of a few teams that are the power brokers who along with Bettman, decide everything, and have gotten the other teams to just follow along if they want to stay members of the club. The price of staying a member for quite a few teams is to be sheep. Don't want your revenue sharing cut off now do you.

Don't kid yourself for one second that a team like Carolina has the same sway at the governors table as Boston. There was an article ( denied by all of course.. got to make it look like we are all one big happy family ) that came out during the CBA talks that Boston told the Jets during a heated meeting to basically shut up and take a seat and we will let you know when we want your opinion. There are very few equals in that room.

I am confident that you are correct in your assertion that there are those with more power. I wonder how you would explain how the events and decisions regarding the Coyotes situation are of benefit to the powerful?

Old
07-12-2013, 05:48 PM
enarwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post

Correct.... that was when Chevy spoke up on the lockout - snippet from article entitled "... Told to shut up or not, Jets have little say in NHL lockout ..."
Quote:
A report out of Boston Wednesday, by Bruins insider Joe Haggerty of Comcast Sportsnet New England, said Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs admonished a Jets governor, not principal owner Mark Chipman, in a recent meeting for saying the franchise “was opposed to engaging in a long, bloody lockout sure to stymie their franchise’s momentum and hurt the game of hockey.”

At that point Jacobs, considered one of the owners’ driving forces behind the lockout, “answered by reprimanding the Winnipeg representative as one of the ‘new kids on the block’ and informed him that he would know when he was allowed to speak in the NHL boardroom.”

source: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20392276.html

Old
07-12-2013, 05:52 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
This may certainly be a key factor along with all the pro leagues fighting the legal fight to ensure that only they will decide who gets to join their clubs. Mind you, I think JB's derision of the NHL power brokers is equaled only by them.

The other leagues stance could be a valid consideration, I did not include it because it seems they (other leagues) have left the NHL to fend for themselves for some time now.

I had to laugh about your take on the "contempt of egos".... the truth can often be humorous!

Old
07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
The NHL and it's BOG's so despise Ballsille and what he did that they are willing to go to such lenghts to prove the point that no upstart that is not one of their own will get away with such shenanigans, now or in the future.
Not buying it. A professional liar doesnt suffer from short-term memory deficiencies and I Sir come from an industry in which the best are absolutely World Class Charlatans. These amateurs, Gary, Bill, Jerrys' Moyes & Reinsdorf, all of them, every single player in this Charade including Baum, Balsillie, Rodier, Le Blanc, the entire Council past & present, the media, everyone, Bad Liars. No one Manning Up. No one, anywhere, ever accepting responsibility. Welcome to Planet Earth. Goldwater, the lot of them. All bark, no bite. Disgusting. Not one person in this entire sordid mess even remotely capable of sorting it but more than capable of blaming everyone else. History will be unkind to the NHL, this Commissioner in particular when pen is finally put to paper. Pathetic.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Hawker14

So... if you had $80-85m to invest now (like the RSE group expects to have if they can close this deal) in order to enhance/increase revenues for the Coyotes, what would you do ?

I'd go Waterpark (Inside-Winnipeg joke).

But seriously, I'm guessing they need a return of about 30% annually on this money to meet ongoing cashflow issues. I'm intrigued by what their plan is.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by enarwpg View Post
Correct.... that was when Chevy spoke up on the lockout - snippet from article entitled "... Told to shut up or not, Jets have little say in NHL lockout ..."
You know, back a couple of years back when McKenzie stated in his blog in regards to how much the owners operated (and got accused by some of being on his "high horse")if stuff like this is the norm, and to me it just adds fuel to what we discussed during the lockout: there really is a heirarchy of ownership

Last edited by Tinalera: 07-12-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity to avoid confusion
Old
07-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Not buying it. A professional liar doesnt suffer from short-term memory deficiencies and I Sir come from an industry in which the best are absolutely World Class Charlatans. These amateurs, Gary, Bill, Jerrys' Moyes & Reinsdorf, all of them, every single player in this Charade including Baum, Balsillie, Rodier, Le Blanc, the entire Council past & present, the media, everyone, Bad Liars. No one Manning Up. No one, anywhere, ever accepting responsibility. Welcome to Planet Earth. Goldwater, the lot of them. All bark, no bite. Disgusting. Not one person in this entire sordid mess even remotely capable of sorting it but more than capable of blaming everyone else. History will be unkind to the NHL, this Commissioner in particular when pen is finally put to paper. Pathetic.
I do believe we've gotten into the discussion before that really, although there are "30 votes", there are a small group of owners who probably much have alot of pull/say in their heirarchy, and really "30 voters" more likely comes to (and I'll just throw out a number) 6-10 "High influence owners" who make the rest tow the party line.

So I'm assuming Leblanc and co REALLY are not going to be getting much in the way of favors/friendliness from the other owners-particularly if they are seen in it as "just wanting to make a quick buck in 5 years through resale"

Old
07-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post
So... if you had $80-85m to invest now (like the RSE group expects to have if they can close this deal) in order to enhance/increase revenues for the Coyotes, what would you do ?

I'd go Waterpark (Inside-Winnipeg joke).

But seriously, I'm guessing they need a return of about 30% annually on this money to meet ongoing cashflow issues. I'm intrigued by what their plan is.
I believe it's 45 million

Old
07-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
I believe it's 45 million
No, not their equity investment.

I mean their "found" money from the NHL - the line of credit.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
And in other news...

Civil rights leader calls for council investigation

To quote:

"Arizona civil rights activist Rev. Jarrett Maupin and Councilmember Norma Alvarez held a press conference July 11 asking the attorney general to investigate if Glendale City Council violated the state’s gift clause.

In the letter sent to the attorney general, they argue that, “It has come to our attention that individual members of the Glendale City Council may have undeclared conflicts of interest, financial ties, and the expectation of gain in regards to the financing of re-election efforts related to this recent agreement.”"

Source: http://www.glendalestar.com/news/art...a4bcf887a.html

How is the Arizona Attorney General? Good ol' boy like old Drift Wood there or someone who might actually investigate this matter? I read he had a little run in with the SEC, among other things.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 07-12-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: wrong Wiki page
Old
07-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
So I'm assuming Leblanc and co REALLY are not going to be getting much in the way of favors/friendliness from the other owners-particularly if they are seen in it as "just wanting to make a quick buck in 5 years through resale"
The older guys, Jacobs, Snider, even some of the younger ones like Wirtz, seen this movie before. And these are the guys really calling the shots. I guess they think they can handle it, that a disparate group of minority investors as constituted by RSE is malleable somehow, that there are some who are worth knowing, doing business with. To a man their naive enough to be able to rob. Sets a lovely precedent for guys like Craig Leipold in Minnesota. Unbound. Refreshing. No more minimum thresholds be it RS, Development Funds or whatever. League itselfs my new Sugar Daddy. Beyond arrogance that Bettman in drafting this agreement & sale doesnt realize what he's about to receive, what he's opened. Pandoras Box. The Reaping. Or maybe he actually does, but the hubris of the small coterie of power brokers within the Executive Board think themselves impervious to such mechanizations. That 2+2 doesnt = 4, that the Sun itself doesnt rise in the East & set in the West.

Last edited by Killion: 07-12-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old
07-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
How is the Arizona Attorney General? Good ol' boy like old Drift Wood there or someone who might actually investigate this matter? I read he had a little run in with the SEC, among other things.

I checked his Wikipedia page and then I saw this...

(cue dramatic revelation music )
Too funny even if it turns out fake.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:09 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
I checked his Wikipedia page and then I saw this...

(cue dramatic revelation music )
Not even his birthday, off by a decade+. Either you looked at the wrong page or someone already fixed the vandalism.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:23 PM
GJB
- - - -

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Not even his birthday, off by a decade+. Either you looked at the wrong page or someone already fixed the vandalism.
Isn't this him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Horne

Says born in 1945 and from Montreal!

Also there is a ballotopedia, who knew?

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Tom_Horne

Old
07-12-2013, 08:27 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Was looking up a past attorney general involved in the Coyotes situation. Thanks for correcting me.

Now for the mod direction: this thread isn't about Tom Horne. If the AG gets involved then maybe his past history will have some relevance to this thread and not be considered off topic.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:50 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
No one Manning Up. No one, anywhere, ever accepting responsibility. Welcome to Planet Earth. Goldwater, the lot of them. All bark, no bite. Disgusting. Not one person in this entire sordid mess even remotely capable of sorting it but more than capable of blaming everyone else. History will be unkind to the NHL, this Commissioner in particular when pen is finally put to paper. Pathetic.
I'm sorry, have I missed something? Who's been blaming whom?

Old
07-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Now for the mod direction: this thread isn't about Tom Horne. If the AG gets involved then maybe his past history will have some relevance to this thread and not be considered off topic.
Fair enough. Thing is mouser, the Attorney General there is about as far away from looking like Steve McQueen much less acting like Tom Horn as you can get so anyone hoping for any serious action from such just might wanna think again huh? I did some digging myself. Seems his main interests in life are downsizing Big Gulps & getting rid of candy machines at schools. Caffeine & Sugar Crusader. Wonderful. Born in Montreal or Maricopa a politicians a politician. Just lower expectations to below zero and you wont be disappointed.

Old
07-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally posted by goyotes

Quote:
And in other news...

Civil rights leader calls for council investigation

To quote:

"Arizona civil rights activist Rev. Jarrett Maupin and Councilmember Norma Alvarez held a press conference July 11 asking the attorney general to investigate if Glendale City Council violated the state’s gift clause.

In the letter sent to the attorney general, they argue that, “It has come to our attention that individual members of the Glendale City Council may have undeclared conflicts of interest, financial ties, and the expectation of gain in regards to the financing of re-election efforts related to this recent agreement.”"

Source: http://www.glendalestar.com/news/art...a4bcf887a.html

Sounds like Alvarez is wanting point out some blame and possible legal issues-don't know how far she'll get, but it sounds like she's ready to point some fingers.

Old
07-13-2013, 08:44 AM
HamiltonFan
bettman's a Weasel

Quote:
I am confident that you are correct in your assertion that there are those with more power. I wonder how you would explain how the events and decisions regarding the Coyotes situation are of benefit to the powerful?
It's quite simple, really, if you understand how the greedy, arrogant nhl weasels operate. The so called 'powerful' nhl owners, such as the mafia-associated slimeball jacobs, snider etc (let's call them the 'Superweasels') are all in favor of the grand southern strategy in order to get what they mistakenly believe will be the holy grail NBC tv contract. These Superweasels, however, don't want to pay for the southern experiment by themselves. Sure, they do pay into revenue sharing, but this is a pittance compared to what these southern teams really need. Even with revenue sharing, these southern teams generally will lose $20M or more per year. It is the revolving door of individual southern team owners that fund the bulk of the southern experiment, not the Superweasels.

So, this ridiculous Phoenix situation fits perfectly with the Superweasel agenda, namely that they get to maintain the USA footprint (rather than relocating to Quebec), while somebody else pays for the team staying in Glendale. In this case, the next 5 years in Glendale will be funded by the $15M per year from COG, plus the $45M that the RSE clowns have so generously agreed to donate to the Superweasel's cause. When the well runs dry in a few years in Glendale, Seattle/Portland will be ready.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Who's blaming who kihekah? Say what? Just turn in any direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonFan View Post
...let's call them the 'Superweasels'.
... Ok. Lots of different types of Weasels HF. Not sure any of them deserve Superweasel Status with exception of the Den Leaders. Vast majority havent quite earned that ranking as of yet. Graduated from the Marmot family to Polecat, Stoat, Ferret & ultimately Weasel Rank. Not allowed to have Mommy sew those badges on their nifty little NHL Boy Scout shirts just yet, but their workin on it. Not exactly what Sir Baden Powell had in mind but its their club, their tree fort. Make the rules up as they go along.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Llama19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Who's blaming who kihekah? Say what? Just turn in any direction.

... Ok. Lots of different types of Weasels HF. Not sure any of them deserve Superweasel Status with exception of the Den Leaders. Vast majority havent quite earned that ranking as of yet. Graduated from the Marmot family to Polecat, Stoat, Ferret & ultimately Weasel Rank. Not allowed to have Mommy sew those badges on their nifty little NHL Boy Scout shirts just yet, but their workin on it. Not exactly what Sir Baden Powell had in mind but its their club, their tree fort. Make the rules up as they go along.
You sir, are the most 'dapper' of them all.

The petition gathers, for the referendum, are working behind the scenes, laying low as to not to draw the attention of their 'opposition.'

Would these be more of the 'mole' variety?

Old
07-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
You sir, are the most 'dapper' of them all.
Why thank you, and I do indeed have a mourning coat exactly like that. Long, nice cutaway, very
Rakish. Taylors of Old Bond Street. Goes great with a t-shirt & jeans, Tony Llama nosepickers.

Closed Thread