HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
-And was i at the u18's? No. But did i attend and watch 30 games of him? Yes. I can care less about the U18's.
You did? Where are you located? Where did you see all those games?

Old
07-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
He was not in top-10 for body fat.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=18183

McCarron, Michael: Height 65.5″, Weight 234.5 lbs:
At combine
Comment from Andy Murray, WMU coach. If he would have had some weight to lose, he wouldn't have said the comment he did.

Quote:
"We measured him at 6-foot-6, 240 pounds, with low body fat," Murray added. "He moves well for a big man and plays a real hard game - he's got that physical element that you always want with a player of that size. We were somewhat undersized last year, but he'll be a real good fit for us moving forward."

Old
07-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
Lucic is a nice guy too, it's just that he plays hockey like the sport itself killed his puppy when he was 5.

Old
07-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Grant McCagg

I mentioned his skating again and again, even provided names of people a helluva lot more credible than you....for the umpteenth time, his skating is fine, more than fine for his size. As for his weight being an issue...seriously???? Your grasping at straws...short ones at that.

In regards to the U-18's meaning nothing..all that tells me is how much you need to learn about scouting. I'm not liking your chances of reaching your "dream" without some major improvements, especially in your approach. Pissing off pro scouts won't win you many friends in the scouting community. It is a small, tight-knit group.

Old
07-13-2013, 08:58 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Lol...go to Universirty in USA? or take a ELC and become a instant multi millionaire ,play in London and go to University in Canada.....If Mike was drafted in 3rd round sure i bet school USA....but he is a 1st rounder....payday play in Canada.No rocket science...whatever potential job a USA University was goona give him,would never equal the ELC..lol What would ya do?ELC =925k per yr++++
The ironic part is, I wished Danny Kristo chose the ELC "instant millionaire" route according to you.

But once he spent 2 years in NCAA, I didn't care if we traded him for peanuts. I'm biased though. NCAA has its place.

Old
07-13-2013, 09:05 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Comment from Andy Murray, WMU coach. If he would have had some weight to lose, he wouldn't have said the comment he did.
Never intended to mean that he should loose weight.
About body fat, I was replying to the comment saying that he was top-10 in body fat.
It is not the case but does not preclude him to have low body fat.
He certainly did not look fat to me. He is huge, wide but not fat.

He is already 235 or more at 18 years old.
Low body fat means it is muscles and bones. It is going to be tough to go lower.
He could very well end up at 6'6" and 250 lbs in a few years.
Just looking at his shape, he already has a very large torso and has certainly upper body strength (2nd in 4kg medecine ball throw).

Looking at the list of heaviest players you can see a lot are d-men.
If McCarron ends up a top-6, it will be an extra-ordinary asset to have.
Certainly more than three standard deviation from the norm.
In this context, MM is a mystery that will start to give us more answers next season.

Would love to see him park in front of the net with Chara.
At the same time, McCarron and Chara in front of the net reduce your opportunity to shoot in the net without touching them.

Old
07-13-2013, 09:12 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I mentioned his skating again and again, even provided names of people a helluva lot more credible than you....for the umpteenth time, his skating is fine, more than fine for his size. As for his weight being an issue...seriously???? Your grasping at straws...short ones at that.

In regards to the U-18's meaning nothing..all that tells me is how much you need to learn about scouting. I'm not liking your chances of reaching your "dream" without some major improvements, especially in your approach. Pissing off pro scouts won't win you many friends in the scouting community. It is a small, tight-knit group.
You shouldn't get worked up over those who clearly speak while not knowing any better. You'll have a much happier life.

Old
07-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Megaforce

The only way you'll see MM parked in front of the net with Chara is it there's a restaurant named "The Net" and they both have their BMWs out front.

Chara is about to retire and MM is a couple of years away from the NHL, if he ever makes it.

Old
07-13-2013, 09:30 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Loved this thread. Cheered up my morning.

Old
07-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Look at his skating, puck handling etc. On youtube during the camp. And look at his fights, well there isnt much fights i think there's like one but he lost.
Quote:
If you cant see my flag to the left. It's American. Whats McCarron? American. Ive seen him play more then 95% of you Canadian fans. Guaranteed.

But yeah, i guess we will have to find out.
See, there are so many problems in these statements. So you're stating that his fighting ability is so much to be worked on...yet, you only based yourself on this 1 fight he lost, fight you've seen to have been able to watch through You Tube despite having watched him tons of time live. Are there any other fights that it isn't on YouTube but you've seen them live? Tell us.

Then...you use that really simplistic, I'm American, hence I saw more of him than you Canadians...Euh....I'm Canadian, doesn't mean I saw every Canadian play out there, being American doesn't mean you live nearby the ice rink that McCarron used to play in.

I mean those are some of the statements you made that makes people on your back in this thread. You are totally in your right to disagree. But please come up with better reasons. Unless it makes you only the type of guy looking for attention and doing so by going totally the opposite way of what most are saying. Guess what though...if it was attention that you were seeking, you clearly did your job correctly. Yes, McCarron has some work to do. If not, he would have been picked #1. But there are no hurries to get him in. If he comes in 3 years, something tells me he would have worked on his problems. Will he be able to do so? I guess what scouts are looking it are the way he improved himself in the past year and believe that he isn't finished growing and improving. True or not...we'll see about that. But it looks good. I can tell you that having watched Milan Lucic really often in his draft year, there's just NO WAY I thought he would have improved his puck skills, his skating and even is hockey IQ the way he did. I really thought Boston were going at him for his fighting skills, which were REALLY obvious at the time. Probably the same way that the Oilers reached way too much for a guy like Moroz, surely looking for another Lucic themselves, yet, I wouldn't bet it would happen....but I didn't bet for Lucic either.

Old
07-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

I saw a 30 second youtube clip of McCarron last week.

He's terrible.

McCarbust.

Old
07-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
GrindNMuck has made his mark on this board today.
He also made his mark in my ignore list. I have no time to waste reading people with that kind of attitude. In fact, I can't believe so many people took the time to debate with him...

Old
07-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Maelpj*

Weird how you guys seems to hate so much on GrindNMuck just for him giving his opinion on Mccarron. I mean, did he insult McCarron personally or something? Isn't the point of this forum to share opinions? Not everybody are willing to drink the Kool-Aid no matter what. I too think McCarron has below average skating and puck handling skill compared to other first rounder, doesn't mean I think he can't become a useful top 9 foward.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:53 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I saw a 30 second youtube clip of McCarron last week.

He's terrible.

McCarbust.
Watch this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtPqbIq9bd4

Old
07-13-2013, 11:56 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
Weird how you guys seems to hate so much on GrindNMuck just for him giving his opinion on Mccarron. I mean, did he insult McCarron personally or something? Isn't the point of this forum to share opinions? Not everybody are willing to drink the Kool-Aid no matter what. I too think McCarron has below average skating and puck handling skill compared to other first rounder, doesn't mean I think he can't become a useful top 9 foward.
So I guess the manner in which GrindNMuck delivers his opinions doesn't matter one bit? I'm guessing you see nothing wrong with it because you share a similar opinion, which is fine. But ignoring his lack of tact and seeming level-headedness WILL get people on one's back.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:03 PM
le_sean

"Arghhh he's not fast!1!!!1!!"

Really? The 6'5 240lbs 18 year old doesn't skate like Bure? Thank god for the other players on the ice, he'd ****ing kill them.

I love this crying for a 25th overall pick. Apparently the expectation is to select a player as big as Chara, as fast as Grabner and with hands like Kane.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
No deal! McCarbust it is!

(p.s. I hadn't seen that vid before, thx for the link)

Old
07-13-2013, 12:06 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I'm excited to watch him this season.

I have my reservations about the selection, I was kind of hoping we'd trade up to grab a more obvious high skilled player.

That said, the physical attributes are simply too hard to ignore when coupled with the fact he's an above average hockey player as well.

I wouldn't shoot for him to be the next Lucic, there's been few that have been that well rounded in their game at that size and strength.

If MM can turn out to be a 20-20-40 guy who can crash the net hard and defend his team mates then IMO the pick was a slam dunk.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:09 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
No one was ''hating'' him for giving his opinion, he was the one ''hating'' people for not sharing his opinion. Even told Grant, an NHL scout, that he has no idea what he's talking about. Many of us here have watched McCarron play, he seemed to think that because he has watched plenty of McCarron when he was 13 years old that he knows what type of player he is at 18. Players progress, and from what I've read McCarron progressed alot this year.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:10 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
There's a difference between expressing your opinion in a respectful fashion and coming into an online community (because that's what it is here) and baring your teeth at anyone who disagrees with you. Especially as a newbie. Not to say that noobs don't have valid opinions, but nobody knows who the **** you are. Nobody knows your personality or posting habits, so it's a bad idea to come in guns blazing. Many have been arguing or debating hockey on here for years and know eachother. Not so for yourself or grindNmuck.

Cheers.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
No one was ''hating'' him for giving his opinion, he was the one ''hating'' people for not sharing his opinion. Even told Grant, an NHL scout, that he has no idea what he's talking about. Many of us here have watched McCarron play, he seemed to think that because he has watched plenty of McCarron when he was 13 years old that he knows what type of player he is at 18. Players progress, and from what I've read McCarron progressed alot this year.
My bad, haven't read the whole first thread. If what you said is true, I understand your reaction. I thought you guys were simply raging on him for his opinion towards McCarron. Some here seems to give "troll and stupid" etiquettes to others way to fast just for having different opinion than the mass.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:22 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
No deal! McCarbust it is!

(p.s. I hadn't seen that vid before, thx for the link)
No problem. One game doesn't make everything but McCarron was the USA's best player in that game. He also wins more board battles in that clip than the Habs did for all of the 2013 season.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
No problem. One game doesn't make everything but McCarron was the USA's best player in that game. He also wins more board battles in that clip than the Habs did for all of the 2013 season.

This, must be a serious pain in the ass to try to retrive the puck into corners when he is there. I could see him protecting the puck into a corner for the last 30 second of a game when we have the lead, making opponents rage.

I was surprise too by his playmaking abilities. Seems to be really calm with the puck and have good vision.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
This, must be a serious pain in the ass to try to retrive the puck into corners when he is there. I could see him protecting the puck into a corner for the last 30 second of a game when we have the lead, making opponents rage.

I was surprise too by his playmaking abilities. Seems to be really calm with the puck and have good vision.
This is what the habs desperately need. For defensive and offensive purposes. Hockey gods, please let this boy develop nicely.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:43 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
And it's good to remember that this was him playing for his country in a crucial game that they unfortunately lost. This wasn't a scrimmage where he's one of the youngest and least experienced guys there while also being the biggest and most nervous as the new first round pick in town. Scrimmages and camps are where you can see a players development at the moment and go from there. The guys getting deals are guys the Canadiens already have extensive knowledge on. Nobody is winning a contract on a development camp, not even Ben Duffy.

If McCarron suffers a leg injury I'd be worried about him but otherwise there's a smart, confident kid in McCarron who does some things well that nobody in our system can do. That's why he was drafted. His top end potential is a guy who plays in the top six when he doesn't have top end skill because he's freaking Moses and opening up the game for the skill on the line. His more realistic potential is a third line big abled body that adds a much needed dynamic to the overall squad.

Closed Thread