HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2013, 03:06 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
Why the **** can't MacT do that right now?
honestly christmas/jan is a good time to make depth trades. teams see the direction their year is headed and you can get some prizes while other slower GMs are sitting on their hands still evaluating --or in Bali catching rays--. The deadline is expensive to acquire... the depth deals for cheap are in dec/Jan.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:07 AM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
If we had one gamebreaking talent on offense like we had on defense with Pronger, I believe we win the Cup easily that year. Our depth was that good. All we needed was a Staal-type player.
All we needed was Roloson to not get injured and we would have won easily.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:19 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
If we had one gamebreaking talent on offense like we had on defense with Pronger, I believe we win the Cup easily that year. Our depth was that good. All we needed was a Staal-type player.
When we went up against Detroit it was depth. I felt the way we win is limiting Yzerman and Holmstrom. I felt we had them beat if those two didnt take over. Yzerman scared the life out of me everytime he hit the ice. Thankful he was on his last legs and not much gas left because when he was on the ice he always created stuff out of nothing.

When we faced SJ depth was really an issue. They had a weak bottom 6. They spent everything acquiring Joe. Their top 2 lines were more fearsome than the wings though. The flu big played a big part in the early going and the Torres hit on Michalek eliminated their 2 line attack. Easy win after that second line was KO'ed (it will happen to us likely)

Anaheim and S Nieds. We went after Nieds in free agency. People forget that part. When i evaluated the matchup i felt their bottom 6 SLIGHTLY trumped our bottom 6 but we could take out their top six vs our top six... which means they will check our top6 with their bottom6 ...which means our bottom6 can trump their weak top6. LOL. The wild card was Nieds...and he made it a more interesting series than it should have been. and it was guys like Moreau Pisani Peca and Harvey that won that series.

CAR had better centre depth than us for the first time in the playoffs. We also were beaten on total depth. What we needed to do was crush their forwards. We did it but came up one goal short. At the end weight was injured, recchi was injured, brindamour was weakened, Staal got corked a few times.
DDamn.
The worst part is...as i said before... Jussi played out of his mind... so even though Roli went down, we still had world class goaltending to go for it but couldnt. We cant even say Roli being injured cost us the series. Roli actually looked shakey the entire game 1.

Last edited by oilinblood: 07-13-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old
07-13-2013, 03:21 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
All we needed was Roloson to not get injured and we would have won easily.
NOT TRUE. Roli was shakey in game 1. My friends and I were hoping MacT would pull Roli and there was an interview he had stating he thought about it but didnt want conklin in and felt Roli just had to see some pucks and get in a groove. People forget...or maybe just didnt observe, that we dominated game 1 early and Roli was making easy handles seem like scoring chances against. Staios didnt help matters.

Jussi was spectacular. Game 2... was not his fault and he made some huge saves. Game 2... he was a man alone. That game made me disgusted at the rest of the team. They looked like they quit, ad turtled. They left their goalie hanging...and their goalie stood on his head and kept them in it. It was the most loserish period (1st period) of hockey by a club that i had ever seen. It was disgusting. Also , as MacT has said a few times...he wishes Jussi had been the back up for game 1. If he had i think Jussi starts the 3rd. Roli wasnt tracking pucks well and he wasnt as solid with his control. It was his first off game of the playoffs and it was noticable.

Last edited by oilinblood: 07-13-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old
07-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
NOT TRUE. Roli was shakey in game 1. My friends and I were hoping MacT would pull Roli and there was an interview he had stating he thought about it but didnt want conklin in and felt Roli just had to see some pucks and get in a groove. People forget...or maybe just didnt observe, that we dominated game 1 early and Roli was making easy handles seem like scoring chances against. Staios didnt help matters.

Jussi was spectacular. Game 2... was not his fault and he made some huge saves. Game 2... he was a man alone. That game made me disgusted at the rest of the team. They looked like they quit, ad turtled. They left their goalie hanging...and their goalie stood on his head and kept them in it. It was the most loserish period (1st period) of hockey by a club that i had ever seen. It was disgusting. Also , as MacT has said a few times...he wishes Jussi had been the back up for game 1. If he had i think Jussi starts the 3rd. Roli wasnt tracking pucks well and he wasnt as solid with his control. It was his first off game of the playoffs and it was noticable.
The team was shell shocked in game 2 from the collapse at the end of game 1 and losing their Conne Smythe goalie that got them there. I remember many people saying the series was basically over once Roloson went down and we might get swept.

It took until game 3 to settle down. But basically we spotted Carolina 2 wins in the series right off the bat.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Ranford#30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Our number 1 priority right now should be to get Boyd Gordon a buddy on the shutdown line so we can run them out against tough competition and bad zone starts freeing up our top 6 for easier match-ups and less defensive zone starts. Jones and Joensuu on his line won't cut it, we need atleast one player who is more of a defense first player then we can run out either Joensuu or Jones to fill out the rest of the line. Of the remaining UFA's both Cleary and Gagne would be interesting options as they are both good defensively, but have some offense to their kit that they can contribute, they are both in decline but on short term deals would be good options, sadly from what I've read both are already signed essentially just waiting for their respective teams to clear bodies/ cap space. Langenbrunner was a great defensive player, I'm not sure if that is still the case, regardless with his age and coming off a serious hip injury I couldn't see offering him anymore than a camp tryout and seeing if he is still good enough to contribute from there. If we are going to get this player it will likely have to come from the Hemsky trade or by chance someone may need to clear capspace or room on their roster and we might get who we need for a pick or a prospect.

The second thing I'd like to address is the 4th line center cause I don't think we really have one, it seems management is content on this front, they want to hand the job to Lander, and if that doesn't pan out it will be either Acton or Arcobello called up and failing that we will likely see Smyth back at center .
I agree 100% with your post.

I don't have a problem with Jones as the 3rd line RW, but would like a strong LWer. Not sure who's available in a trade or free agency, but I have a feeling that this spot will be addressed through the Hemsky trade. For some reason, I think Antti Miettenen on the cheap would be good, but maybe he's done. Ideally, we could grab Brenden Morrow. Physical, experienced leader that would be an ideal complement to Gordon. Think he could motivate Jones to be more physical.

I don't have a problem with Lander as the 4th line centre, but our organizational depth is so weak in this area. I'm not a fan of having Acton has the defacto 5th centre nor Arcobello or VV. I wouldn't be opposed to getting Steckle (sp) just for organizational depth.

Ideally, the 4th line can be physical and play around 8-10 mins/game and not be scored on. I'm not so concerned with their productivity, but in seasons past, the line has been a black hole.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

All this 2006 talk is depressing me because it reinforces to me how far off we are from being true contenders.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post
Yes, a player who was a prolific junior scorer, drafted 8th overall, and has been playing on the 3rd line in a shutdown role with offensive blackholes won't improve.

You also didn't mention how Gagner hasn't hit 50 points.
Just because a player is drafted 8th overall and was a prolific junior scorer doesn't mean he's going to put up points in the NHL. Hell, Gagner himself was a 6th overall pick and a vastly superior junior scorer than Couturier in a lower scoring league. Yet he hasn't put up the offence either. Gagner hasn't hit 50 points, but he's been a lot closer to 50 than Couturier has been to 30. Until Couturier shows he can even put up 0.4 ppg, let alone 0.5/0.6 ppg, Gagner is a better player.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:49 AM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Quite possibly the single best 1 year any Oiler GM has had in team history. Sather accumulated a lot of talent over the span of 4-5 years, but what Lowe did that one year was amazing.

Still remember HF that year. "Let's trade Rita and Cross for something good." "Nah, no one wants our trash." "What about Salmelainen?" "No one will give up anything good for him."

Next day: "WTF?"
Howson made the Spacek and Tarnstrom deals btw.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:15 PM
duul

vCash: 50
Quote:
All this 2006 talk is depressing me because it reinforces to me how far off we are from being true contenders.
We aren't that far.

If we're being realistic, not many teams have much top 6 talent as us. Pittsburgh has Crosby/Malkin/Neal. Boston has a committee of players I wouldn't consider as good as any of our top 5 except Bergeron. Chicago has Toews/Kane/Sharp/Hossa which is the only real comparable.

What we need is a #1 defenceman, or a #2 at least. If we could somehow acquire a Keith/Chara type who can log as many minutes you throw at them we would be a contender. I'd be willing to give up Eberle or Yakupov PLUS 1st rounders PLUS prospects.

After we get a #1 defenceman we would only need to slightly improve our bottom 6.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:23 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
We aren't that far.

If we're being realistic, not many teams have much top 6 talent as us. Pittsburgh has Crosby/Malkin/Neal. Boston has a committee of players I wouldn't consider as good as any of our top 5 except Bergeron. Chicago has Toews/Kane/Sharp/Hossa which is the only real comparable.

What we need is a #1 defenceman, or a #2 at least. If we could somehow acquire a Keith/Chara type who can log as many minutes you throw at them we would be a contender. I'd be willing to give up Eberle or Yakupov PLUS 1st rounders PLUS prospects.

After we get a #1 defenceman we would only need to slightly improve our bottom 6.
Hilarious.

Translation: We're not far off with a Chara on our team!

29 other teams can say that too

Old
07-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
We aren't that far.

Krejic, Bergeron, and Eriksson are better than all our players right now minus Hall. Bergeron does more to help your team win than Hall does today.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Eh, 2006 came out of nowhere. I remember a guy calling into an Edmonton radio show before the start of that season (I can't remember which one) predicting a Sabres/Oilers final and he was practically laughed off the air by the other pundit they had on. It's pretty hilarious how close he was all things considered.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:25 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Hilarious.

Translation: We're not far off with a Chara on our team!

29 other teams can say that too
And we have the pieces to acquire one while still having a great top 6, what is your point?

You're implying the only way to get a top defenceman is through the draft, which means every team should just start a rebuild once they've got a top defenceman drafted.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:51 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Anyone for a flyer on Manny Malhotra? Or is his eye injury that much of a killer ...

Old
07-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Anyone for a flyer on Manny Malhotra? Or is his eye injury that much of a killer ...
Eye injury is a killer.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:55 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Eye injury is a killer.
Damn... Couple of seasons back, he was a hell of a 3rd line centre. I thought he'd still be an upgrade on Lander. Centre depth!

But no?

Old
07-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Damn... Couple of seasons back, he was a hell of a 3rd line centre. I thought he'd still be an upgrade on Lander. Centre depth!

But no?
I think he wants to go, but I don't know that he'd properly pass a medical.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Lindo

We could ice an all eye-injured 4th line if we find a LW. X-Malhotra-Jones.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:17 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Krejic, Bergeron, and Eriksson are better than all our players right now minus Hall. Bergeron does more to help your team win than Hall does today.
This. Especially Bergeron and Krejic. Put aside god given talent, those guys' playoff experience trumps anything our kids have today.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:18 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Malhotra would be a HUGE upgrade on Lander.

Gordon and (a healthy) Malhotra in the bottom 6 would be arguably the best defensive centres in the entire NHL... anyone is free to point out which team would have a better pair than that in their bottom 6 because I can't think of any.

Certainly the Oilers should inquire if he's good to go... but I'm sure many other teams would be interested as well.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:22 PM
dnicks17

Malholtra would have been a huge upgrade on Lander.

Not anymore.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Digger12

Malhotra's eye injury has pretty much derailed what's left of his career. He was a non-factor for Vancouver last year, and I don't see this year being any different.

It's a sad thing.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I am very okay with us giving Lander a chance. Now, if he doesn't seize the oppourtunity, I would like them to upgrade him during the season. We need to find out what we have before waivers come into affect and we lose him like Harski.

That being said, he really had a great second half and Lander seems very driven. With Magnus being traded, its possible it will push Lander that much more.

Old
07-13-2013, 05:05 PM
FreeRadicals

I'm honestly surprised we haven't signed Penner yet. He's better than Jones on the third line and is potentially cheap. Is MacT's grudge towards him that deep?

Closed Thread