HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread Part IV - Let's Make A Deal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2013, 02:41 PM
  #26
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
not sure if srs but change for change's sake at this point is sort of what's happening.
Definitely not srs. I'm content with the do nothing approach unless something REALLY good comes up

JohnC is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:44 PM
  #27
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
What's the point of trading for/signing these middle-6 players some seem to be suggesting? The Rangers don't lack middle-6 players, in fact, they have a glut of them Callahan, Hagelin, Richards, Zuccarello, Brassard, Pouliot, and most of their prospects project to be very good middle-6ers (Kristo, Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Hrivik). So why add to the glut?

The Rangers need to focus on one thing acquiring high-end forwards. No tweeners. Legitimate top line forwards. If there aren't any available? Do nothing.
U also pay alot more for top end forwards

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:45 PM
  #28
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Handicap spot
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 504
I'm quite happy with our offseason so far.

Kristo for Thomas. Kristo seems to be comfortable with the puck on his stick, we need that. Seems like a good trade.

Moore. Cheap and only 1 year, that's great. Loads of question marks though, had a good 10-11 for Tampa and a quite mediocre 11-12 for SJ. Hasn't played in a year. Could work out great, but I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his spot mid-season.

Pouliot. Cheap, 1 year, great. But I'm a lot more optimistic about Benoit than I am about Moore. Good possession player and has put up fantastic ES scoring numbers despite poor linemates. Pouliot is 39th among forwards having played 1250+ minutes in P/60 over the past three seasons. That kind of production for $1.3M is a freaking steal. Likely a 1 and done since we won't be able to afford him, but I think there is a solid chance he becomes the UFA steal of the offseason. I predicted 20-30 points on gut feeling in the Zucc thread, but after looking into his underlying numbers he should be able to contribute more than that. Fantastic move.

Falk. Depth D with potential upside. Don't know much about him, but I still like the move somehow.

Not buying out Richards. I was of the opinion that buying out Richards before the absolutely last moment it was possible was as much of a certainty as that he had to be bought out due to the cap recapture clause. 100%. That was before I found out that an injury could prevent a buyout. Taking the risk of the recapture penalty by not buying him out is a stupid risk to take. Add on the fact that we may have been able to sign Stepan and McD to even longer deals with Richards being bought out and that Zucc is in the risk zone of being let go, the move is even worse. But if we can get Stepan on a long deal, Zucc signed, under the cap, and Richards stays healthy, this is a very good move. A lot of ifs though.

Blue Blooded is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:45 PM
  #29
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,790
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
U also pay alot more for top end forwards
No ****. Doesn't mean the Rangers should go out and give unnecessary players a contract.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:46 PM
  #30
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
I say again, why are we trying to trade away DZ? He's on a great contract as of now while we deal with this low cap ceiling, he has potential to be a great player, he's made strides to get to where he is now and he loves playing in NY and despite there being others on defense that can contribute offensively, he's the only one who can be considered an offensive play making defenseman.
McDonagh, Staal, Moore still left on the left side, he's a RFA again next year so a big payday coming, he can't play the right side, and we need forward help? Sounds like many good reasons to me

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:47 PM
  #31
someone stole hank
Geno's and Apples
 
someone stole hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Definitely not srs. I'm content with the do nothing approach unless something REALLY good comes up
MDZ miller and kreider and 1st round pick for ovechkin?

someone stole hank is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:48 PM
  #32
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Jagr would be fine if he was willing to accept a reduced role and even not play every game to save gas but will he?

Walking away from Zuc to sign Jagr is silly.

But there's no room right now, no one wants to make trades with no money and all of these UFAs out there. Supply and demand.

If they can unload Pyatt and get something valuable for Boyle, then fine, but there's tinkering for the sake of tinkering which makes no sense at this point.

White Plains Batman is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:49 PM
  #33
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
No ****. Doesn't mean the Rangers should go out and give unnecessary players a contract.
Purcell would be better than any forward we have other than Nash and Stepan. He has out produced Callahan, and Hagelin, Brassard don't come close, and the verdict's out on Richards

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:51 PM
  #34
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
McDonagh, Staal, Moore still left on the left side, he's a RFA again next year so a big payday coming, he can't play the right side, and we need forward help? Sounds like many good reasons to me
Out of the 3, only McD is stapled to the team. I don't think he's getting a big pay day next year. $2.55M isn't going to jump to $5M. He's going to be making between McD and his current contract so around $3.75M, which isn't too bad and if he doesn't play up to his potential or whatever, I don't see how his value will diminish greatly either.

Cresto is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:53 PM
  #35
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,790
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
Out of the 3, only McD is stapled to the team. I don't think he's getting a big pay day next year. $2.55M isn't going to jump to $5M. He's going to be making between McD and his current contract so around $3.75M, which isn't too bad and if he doesn't play up to his potential or whatever, I don't see how his value will diminish greatly either.
I disagree. If he puts up 50 points, which is certainly possible, it would almost certainly garner him a long term contract worth in excess of $4.5M per.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:54 PM
  #36
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
Out of the 3, only McD is stapled to the team. I don't think he's getting a big pay day next year. $2.55M isn't going to jump to $5M. He's going to be making between McD and his current contract so around $3.75M, which isn't too bad and if he doesn't play up to his potential or whatever, I don't see how his value will diminish greatly either.
Unless he can grow into a ppqb he's worth more to us in a trade because of the talent of D we have imo

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:56 PM
  #37
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,221
vCash: 500
Again, no one is saying to move him for a bag of pucks., only for a legit top 6 forward

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 02:57 PM
  #38
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Unless he can grow into a ppqb he's worth more to us in a trade because of the talent of D we have imo
I'm probably in the minority, but as much as Staal is a more complete player than MDZ, I can't overlook his severe injuries. I feel he's a goner to Carolina sooner or later and that's where the team will rely heavily on MDZ for better or for worse.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:01 PM
  #39
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but as much as Staal is a more complete player than MDZ, I can't overlook his severe injuries. I feel he's a goner to Carolina sooner or later and that's where the team will rely heavily on MDZ for better or for worse.
and I'm also in the minority of thinking Staal for Skinner makes sense but people will complain he's to small and has had some injury concerns as well

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:03 PM
  #40
someone stole hank
Geno's and Apples
 
someone stole hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but as much as Staal is a more complete player than MDZ, I can't overlook his severe injuries. I feel he's a goner to Carolina sooner or later and that's where the team will rely heavily on MDZ for better or for worse.
but we might not have to if moore can channel his offensive skill and we use Mcd one the pp we wont need to rely on MDZ

someone stole hank is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:05 PM
  #41
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
and I'm also in the minority of thinking Staal for Skinner makes sense but people will complain he's to small and has had some injury concerns as well
I agree, I would make that deal as well but Carolina wouldn't touch it IMO. Skinner is a far more valuable asset in a trade considering his age, upside and that he's under contract long term. That's probably the best possible return you could get for Staal.

If there aren't significant offers, I guess it makes sense to go all-in before his contract runs out.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:08 PM
  #42
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Don't you have to see these Dmen in this new AV system, before determining who is staying/going/better fit/not?

Kwayry is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:08 PM
  #43
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore is new mac View Post
but we might not have to if moore can channel his offensive skill and we use Mcd one the pp we wont need to rely on MDZ
I doubt Moore becomes a significant offensive defensemen at the level of MDZ.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:09 PM
  #44
someone stole hank
Geno's and Apples
 
someone stole hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Don't you have to see these Dmen in this new AV system, before determining who is staying/going/better fit/not?
which is why im fine with our team right now (including step and MZA)

someone stole hank is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:12 PM
  #45
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I agree, I would make that deal as well but Carolina wouldn't touch it IMO. Skinner is a far more valuable asset in a trade considering his age, upside and that he's under contract long term. That's probably the best possible return you could get for Staal.

If there aren't significant offers, I guess it makes sense to go all-in before his contract runs out.
as per your injury concerns, Skinner is 10X worse than Staal. Marc was concussed because he was more or less unlucky. His eye was injured because of bad luck again. Skinner is like a government hating drunk who's looking for worker's comp through a work place injury.

Cresto is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:13 PM
  #46
someone stole hank
Geno's and Apples
 
someone stole hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I doubt Moore becomes a significant offensive defensemen at the level of MDZ.
your right but if he can use his speed to move the puck up the ice and help just a little bit on the pp than im fine with trading MDZ for a top 6 forward

someone stole hank is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:14 PM
  #47
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore is new mac View Post
MDZ miller and kreider and 1st round pick for ovechkin?
You forgot Boyle

JohnC is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:18 PM
  #48
someone stole hank
Geno's and Apples
 
someone stole hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
You forgot Boyle
no were trading him for fleury and malkin

someone stole hank is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:21 PM
  #49
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,221
vCash: 500
Honestly it's fun to speculate, but I think ultimately we keep everyone and see who responds to the new system see if it helps score more goals and then respond accordingly. I feel they believe the system was a big reason for it. I don't think it helped one bit in just not sure it was all the problem

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:23 PM
  #50
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
as per your injury concerns, Skinner is 10X worse than Staal. Marc was concussed because he was more or less unlucky. His eye was injured because of bad luck again. Skinner is like a government hating drunk who's looking for worker's comp through a work place injury.
'Fluke injuries' or not, the fact is that Staal's missed 63 GP the past 2 seasons while Skinner's missed only 24. Staal is damaged goods compared to Skinner.

Kershaw is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.