HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Ilya Kovalchuk Announces Retirement

Old
07-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/no...e-nhl-in-2018/ at age 35 back in the NHL is the perfect time to sign with New York Rangers... JK JK

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/no...e-nhl-in-2018/ at age 35 back in the NHL is the perfect time to sign with New York Rangers... JK JK
But really...

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Devils retain right for first option. Brooks and/or Daly need to read section 8.9 in addition to 8.5 of the bylaws.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:24 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Boo ****ing hoo. These players, all of them are paid a lot of money to play a kids game. They choose to make this their lives. I cry no tears for them & their unhappiness, the same way they could care less about how we the fans feel after they stink up the joint or don't live up to contracts.
Boo hoo for these fans. All they do is sit on their couches paying these men to play a kids game. They also get quite upset and take it quite seriously watching these men play a kids game. Case in point this entirely too dramatic post

Regardless they don't have to care. I see you utterly failed to grasp the point.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:28 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg Cheese View Post
Families get separated temporarily all the time in real life for employment purposes. Id rather do it on 3mil and not 100 k.
And? What does that have to do with anything? He doesn't have to do that now. Your statement indicates that he has no options so it does not reflect this situation seeing as how he clearly had options. It also does not address the point I made in anyway, shape or from.

People are whining and crying and acting with such indignation and anger about this. A) All it is is a guy moving out of the country to play a game because he feels that he would be in a better situation back in his home.

B) This happens to be a league where guys and families are routinely uprooted and moved.

To have a problem with A but not B shows to me that many of us severely lack perspective unless someone can explain to me why following the rules on "A" is so terrible while "B" is the most sane and reasonable thing ever.

Again why is it not ok for a player to go within the rules and retire from the league and his contract as is his right as a human being?
But it is perfectly ok to do if he cannot play well anymore (NOBODY has addressed this)?
It's ok if the team he came to an agreement with trades him without permission thus breaking their agreement with the player much in the same way that Kovalchuk is "breaking his agreement" with the NJD?

I am ok with all of the above. For some reason many people are being hypocrites about "A"

Last edited by shinchanyo: 07-13-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old
07-13-2013, 10:37 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I stil think this was etremeley lame. If he knew he wanted to go back to Russia, or was thinking about wanting to do so, he never should have signed that contract and made a stink about wanting 100+ million dollars.

I said it in the other thread and I still feel it's true, do whatever you want when you're not in agreement with anyone else, but don't sign contracts you can't live up to. Yeah, the owners "did it too" in a way through lockout negotiations, but still, weren't they universally hated for doing so? Two wrongs don't make a right, they just make two people look like *****.
He did live up to it. So long as he was in the NHL he was to give his all. He did. He no longer wishes to be in the league. Conveniently enough the NJD are letting him go without a fight in a year where they just so happen to incur practically zero cap penalty

Old
07-13-2013, 11:05 AM
someone stole hank
Geno's and Apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
He did live up to it. So long as he was in the NHL he was to give his all. He did. He no longer wishes to be in the league. Conveniently enough the NJD are letting him go without a fight in a year where they just so happen to incur practically zero cap penalty
imagine if Ovechkin did this? or malkin? some of these Russian players miss their home and their familys. I don't hate on them going back home to be with their family's but they dont want to finish their contracts they just wana get up and leave and that causes problems

someone stole hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Devils retain right for first option. Brooks and/or Daly need to read section 8.9 in addition to 8.5 of the bylaws.
It's a good read if people think their team has a chance.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore is new mac View Post
imagine if Ovechkin did this? or malkin? some of these Russian players miss their home and their familys. I don't hate on them going back home to be with their family's but they dont want to finish their contracts they just wana get up and leave and that causes problems
I would have the same exact response if it were Ovechkin or Malkin. The thing is, there's no guarantee that the Caps or Pens would handle it the way the Devils did.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:28 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore is new mac View Post
They would have finished their contracts. Upon retirement the contract is fulfilled. Also as I said if he was not scoring anymore then people would have zero problem with this. The NJD could fight him.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:19 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

When he became an unrestricted free agent after that season, they signed him to a 17-year, $102 million contract in July of 2010, only to be reprimanded by the NHL for circumventing the salary cap. As punishment, the league fined the Devils $3 million and took away third- and first-round draft picks.

As a result, the Devils do not have a first-round pick in the 2014 entry draft and they have no hope of getting the pick back.

“One (issue) is not related to the other,” Daly said of the league’s punishment and Kovalchuk’s retirement.

lol

07-13-2013, 12:24 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Daly is absolutely right. Kovy bailing on his contract has nothing to do with them signing him to the one they deemed illegal. You know, that contract that never really existed in the first place.

I don't see the NHL going back and revoking this penalty. It sets a precedent, the wrong kind of precedent. Who knows though, maybe they feel bad for them and give them a break. I'm sure they would need to go through the BOG to approve anything, though. Doubt it gets through that, unless this is solely Bettman's call.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:54 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Not going to miss him. NHL will not miss him. Debbies will.

Don't let the door hit u where the good lord split u.

Poof. Be gone

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:07 PM
haveandare

Quote:
You don't "live up" to a contract when you leave 10+ years on it. The rest of the issue means very little to me. If we wanted to go home, he should have signed a shorter contract.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Baby Punisher

Wayne Gretzky was right when he called the Devils a Mickey Mouse orginization.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:54 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Kovulchuk gutted their franchise. They basically created the lockout to get him, they built their roster around him and he bailed in his prime with 10 years left on his deal?

He is quite possibly the most selfish player in the history of hockey.

No one forced him to sign in NJ. He has an agent and a lawyer. He knew the tax ramifications, he understood the NHL escrow. Its one thing to take the teams $$$, it's another to let them clearly invest so much in you being the future of the team and then just bailing.

So he will get more $$ playing in a a league with less elite competition and less pressure. Personally, I dont think anyone can fault the guy for getting what he wants, but the Devils franchise takes an awful step backwards.

Kovy doesnt care about playing vs the best. He just wants to play and make the most $$$. He doesnt care about the cup

Last edited by I Am Chariot: 07-13-2013 at 02:00 PM.
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:00 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Daly is absolutely right. Kovy bailing on his contract has nothing to do with them signing him to the one they deemed illegal. You know, that contract that never really existed in the first place.

I don't see the NHL going back and revoking this penalty. It sets a precedent, the wrong kind of precedent. Who knows though, maybe they feel bad for them and give them a break. I'm sure they would need to go through the BOG to approve anything, though. Doubt it gets through that, unless this is solely Bettman's call.
There is no possibility of revoking the penalty. The penalty was given because the original contract which was voided was BS. The league knew it was structured in such a way that Kovy was never going to play anywhere near the 15 years he signed for, and the Devils had backloaded it in such a way that he wasn't leaving much money on the table...all while artificially lowering the annual cap hit. At the end of the day the league was entirely right, although I doubt they thought he would be packing it in with 9 years to go!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
When he became an unrestricted free agent after that season, they signed him to a 17-year, $102 million contract in July of 2010, only to be reprimanded by the NHL for circumventing the salary cap. As punishment, the league fined the Devils $3 million and took away third- and first-round draft picks.

As a result, the Devils do not have a first-round pick in the 2014 entry draft and they have no hope of getting the pick back.

“One (issue) is not related to the other,” Daly said of the league’s punishment and Kovalchuk’s retirement.

lol
That better have been the result. It'd be absolutely ludicrous for them to get the pick back. Daly is 100% correct.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 160
Quote:
They would have finished their contracts. Upon retirement the contract is fulfilled. Also as I said if he was not scoring anymore then people would have zero problem with this. The NJD could fight him.
It's a "retirement," not a retirement. An actual retirement means you are no longer a professional hockey player. Obviously, that isn't the case here.

Lou and Kovalchuk found a loophole to get out of a bad contract and incur the smallest cap hit penalty possible.

You don't have to be a great philosopher or savant of the human condition to see this situation is stinky.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

It's not a loophole in any way, shape, or form. These mechanisms are in place on purpose.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That better have been the result. It'd be absolutely ludicrous for them to get the pick back. Daly is 100% correct.
Still quite interesting the Devils refused to forfeit the 29th pick in 2012 in an average draft year.

I have a feeling the Devils still have something up their sleeve to get the league to remove that penalty.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Still quite interesting the Devils refused to forfeit the 29th pick in 2012 in an average draft year.

I have a feeling the Devils still have something up their sleeve to get the league to remove that penalty.
Not happening. League has already stated it's not subject to review.

But yeah, Matteau at 29? Strange.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Not happening. League has already stated it's not subject to review.

But yeah, Matteau at 29? Strange.
I hope the league holds firm. The whole thing is stinky.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Apparently they didn't forfeit the 29th pick to show their players that management has faith in them. Winning the Cup means the 30th overall pick, so they wanted to show their players that they believe that they'll get a 30th overall pick.

Lol.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:55 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
You don't "live up" to a contract when you leave 10+ years on it. The rest of the issue means very little to me. If we wanted to go home, he should have signed a shorter contract.
I've seen that quote floating around that it was something he was thinking about "for a long time." So why try to fight and claw for a 10+ year contract if going back home to Russia was something he was thinking about, and clearly so heavily considering, for whatever a long time is?

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote