HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Who else should the Jets sign?

View Poll Results: Who else should the Jets try to sign?
Grabovski 41 45.05%
Brunner 16 17.58%
Antropov 19 20.88%
Boyes 6 6.59%
2 of the above (who?) 6 6.59%
a top 4 LHD (who?) 3 3.30%
someone else (who?) 9 9.89%
no more UFAs. Cap space needed for RFA's and maybe at trade deadline 20 21.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-12-2013, 05:41 PM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

vCash: 50
If the Jets can sign Antropov at a big discount (2 years at $2M per) I'd love to see him back. He's a huge asset on the PK, and can play 2nd and 3rd line minutes. I bet when he retires he stays in the NHL as an asst. coach - he just seems to be the type, to me, anyway.

Brunner or Grabovski would be nice to add, but may be too much $.

As others have said, sign our RFA players, then worry about adding an UFA. If they could fit him under the cap, I would really like to see Grabo centering Kane. He's got speed, and nice hands.

DarthMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:47 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Antropov didn't play much pk at all. Probably 20 seconds per game.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:25 PM
tntkid

vCash: 500
Tee Moo.

This young team could learn from a lot from him especially Kane.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:39 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Antropov didn't play much pk at all. Probably 20 seconds per game.
Yep and most of it came early. They moved to speed challenging the points as the year wore on.

Kane-Burmi
Wright-Slater
Little-Ladd

Antro was solid on the PK in year one, but they moved away from him.

I suspect we will see a lot of:

Frolik, Halischuk, Wright and Slater killing PIMs this year.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:41 PM
jiho

Like many others I would like to see Grabovski signed. Also, would love to trade for Coburn.

jiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:59 PM
jiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
The Jets have lost 4 players that played centre last year in Antropov, Wellwood, Burmistrov and Gagnon. They have added 1 assuming Scheifele sticks...
Is it official Gagnon is not going to be resigned? I thought he played well with the opportunity he was given last season.

jiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:06 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiho View Post
Is it official Gagnon is not going to be resigned? I thought he played well with the opportunity he was given last season.
As official as Antropov and Wellwood.

They are all UFAs.

It is possible that somebody could be re-signed, but they haven't been.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:11 AM
PostmanPat1919

Grabovski, but that seems unlikely to fit into our budget, so Antropov as a second choice. 2M AAV/2 years would be pretty good as a cost for Antropov I think.

"Grabo" would be a pretty nice fit, though. Slot him in alongside Kane and Setoguchi and he could get a lot more offensive zone starts here in Winnipeg. Halischuk/Jokinen/Frolik is a pretty nice third line as well.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:40 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
Grabovski, but that seems unlikely to fit into our budget, so Antropov as a second choice. 2M AAV/2 years would be pretty good as a cost for Antropov I think.

"Grabo" would be a pretty nice fit, though. Slot him in alongside Kane and Setoguchi and he could get a lot more offensive zone starts here in Winnipeg. Halischuk/Jokinen/Frolik is a pretty nice third line as well.
On paper a middle 6 of Kane-Grabo-Set + Hali-Joki-Frolik is very nice as they compliment each other well.

Grabo is like Burmi in how he severely tilts the ice and makes every player better around him, but unlike Burmi he doesn't depend on linemates to create offensive chances for himself. I wouldn't be afraid of Grabo pulling a Jokinen because even with poor sh% numbers he'd at worst be a slightly better Burmi. Grabo's possession would make up for Seto's lack there of, meanwhile all 3 have great offensive instincts and speed.

Frolik is the only historically consistent possession positive player, however they'd benefit from a 2nd line that doesn't need to be sheltered and LLW linematching against the top lines. So having Grabbo more than improves just the 2nd line but 3rd as well indirectly.

Very few teams run 3 possession positive lines. They tend to be LA, St Louis, Boston, Chicago, and Detroit.

The only way I can see Jets accomplishing this is if they get one piece for 2nd line (like Grabbo) to pull up Seto's #s, and also allow sheltering of the 3rd line, or if Schiefele is on 2nd finding a possession savvy guy for the 3rd LW beside Jokinen to pull him up and allow more splitting of sheltering of 2nd and 3rd. I'm not sure Raymond is that guy, as he hasn't been a good possession player the last 2 seasons, although he was very very solid 2-3 years ago.

Tangradi could be that 3rd line LW to pull up possession numbers as Eric has been solid there, but I'm unsure how much have it has been him with Burmi, as Burmi was good springing him passes in the neutral zone from breakouts.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:43 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
More people than I thought want Antro back, thought I was in the huge minority. Short of a Grabovski signing I think he's the best fit as he's way more versatile than most UFAs out there. Can play all three outward positions or PP or PK in a pinch. And for half the price of the other guys, who are admittedly better scorers.
TBH, I haven't always liked Antro, when I first saw him play 2 years ago as a Jet he was really bad. But has grown on me as a 4thy and PKer (his size is awesome on the PK).

I voted for Grabo and Antro. But I want our 4 RFAs signed asap.

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:38 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Antropov is great every 7th game or so when he actually applies his skill.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:06 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
On paper a middle 6 of Kane-Grabo-Set + Hali-Joki-Frolik is very nice as they compliment each other well.

Grabo is like Burmi in how he severely tilts the ice and makes every player better around him, but unlike Burmi he doesn't depend on linemates to create offensive chances for himself. I wouldn't be afraid of Grabo pulling a Jokinen because even with poor sh% numbers he'd at worst be a slightly better Burmi. Grabo's possession would make up for Seto's lack there of, meanwhile all 3 have great offensive instincts and speed.

Frolik is the only historically consistent possession positive player, however they'd benefit from a 2nd line that doesn't need to be sheltered and LLW linematching against the top lines. So having Grabbo more than improves just the 2nd line but 3rd as well indirectly.

Very few teams run 3 possession positive lines. They tend to be LA, St Louis, Boston, Chicago, and Detroit.

The only way I can see Jets accomplishing this is if they get one piece for 2nd line (like Grabbo) to pull up Seto's #s, and also allow sheltering of the 3rd line, or if Schiefele is on 2nd finding a possession savvy guy for the 3rd LW beside Jokinen to pull him up and allow more splitting of sheltering of 2nd and 3rd. I'm not sure Raymond is that guy, as he hasn't been a good possession player the last 2 seasons, although he was very very solid 2-3 years ago.

Tangradi could be that 3rd line LW to pull up possession numbers as Eric has been solid there, but I'm unsure how much have it has been him with Burmi, as Burmi was good springing him passes in the neutral zone from breakouts.

Good post. That is more along my lines of thinking although I don't believe that we can afford Grabo and fix the wholes elsewhere. I think if we could grab that third line possession player and find a way to trade for Coburn we would be a better team overall.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
I expect that they will still be looking for an experienced LH shut down D like Steve Eminger or Mark Fistric.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Bob E

Quote:

Thanks, garret.

What's Grabo's defensive numbers look like? I was always of the impression that though he created offensive chances, his defensive game was lacking (soft on the back check, not always willing to compete to win puck battles, etc), so that didn't seem like a 2nd line fit, IMO.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:41 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Thanks, garret.

What's Grabo's defensive numbers look like? I was always of the impression that though he created offensive chances, his defensive game was lacking (soft on the back check, not always willing to compete to win puck battles, etc), so that didn't seem like a 2nd line fit, IMO.
Grabovski was used under *really* tough minutes and did well.

To paint a picture of what Grabbo did:
His quality of competition was about 30% higher than that of Bogosian.
Bogosian started 45.3% of his shifts in the opponents zone, while Grabovski started 36.7%.
Quality of teammate is the same calculation as quality of competition, but instead it's a weighted average of your teammates when they are not on the ice with you. Grabbo's was the second lowest in the NHL.

Even though Grabovski was taking all the toughest minutes and he was mostly with linemates who are dreadfully terrible at keeping possession, TML still had the puck in their possession and had a better shooting differential than they did when he was not on the ice and other players were facing easier minutes.
Also, of the 18 players who spent 200+ mins with both Grabovski and Bozak, all but one of them had a better goal and all of them had better shot differential with Grabovski on the ice than with Bozak.

To get these type of results, one of two things must be happening:
1) Those statements you had about Grabbo's game is either untrue or it was more of the rare exception, not the rule. (Maybe defense mechanism to make themselves feel better about losing him).
2) He is pulling a Byfuglien where it's not because he's good defensively, but because he's so good offensively that he rarely needs to defend, and therefore he ends up coming out on top.

I don't think he's a good enough offensive dynamo for it to be #2 all by itself... So, with this (and my watching) I think it's predominately #1 but with some #2.
I think he isn't the greatest defensively but still very underrated in that department; however, his offensive abilities in pushing the play forward and keeping it there is what gives him the positive results in the end.

Last edited by garret9: 07-13-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: few errors, fixed
Old
07-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Grabovski was used under *really* tough minutes and did well.

To paint a picture of what Grabbo did:
His quality of competition was about 30% higher than that of Bogosian.
Bogosian started 45.3% of his shifts in the opponents zone, while Grabovski started 36.7%.
Quality of teammate is the same calculation as quality of competition, but instead it's a weighted average of your teammates when they are not on the ice with you. Grabbo's was the second lowest in the NHL.

Even though Grabovski was taking all the toughest minutes and he was mostly with linemates who are dreadfully terrible at keeping possession, TML still had the puck in their possession and had a better shooting differential than they did when he was not on the ice and other players were facing easier minutes.
Also, of the 18 players who spent 200+ mins with both Grabovski and Bozak, all but one of them had a better goal and all of them had better shot differential with Grabovski on the ice than with Bozak.

To get these type of results, one of two things must be happening:
1) Those statements you had about Grabbo's game is either untrue or it was more of the rare exception, not the rule. (Maybe defense mechanism to make themselves feel better about losing him).
2) He is pulling a Byfuglien where it's not because he's good defensively, but because he's so good offensively that he rarely needs to defend, and therefore he ends up coming out on top.

I don't think he's a good enough offensive dynamo for it to be #2 all by itself... So, with this (and my watching) I think it's predominately #1 but with some #2.
I think he isn't the greatest defensively but still very underrated in that department; however, his offensive abilities in pushing the play forward and keeping it there is what gives him the positive results in the end.
Excellent. Thanks.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:03 PM
pcanuck

Our players?

Available UFAs:
C Nik Antropov
G Chris Carrozzi
G Mark Dekanich
C Aaron Gagnon
LW Jason Gregoire
D Ron Hainsey
LW Jason Jaffray
C Maxime Macenauer I believe signed with someone?
C Ben Maxwell
D Derek Meech - to KHL
LW Antti Miettinen
D Will O'Neill
C Kyle Wellwood

Our Available RFAs:
D Zach Bogosian
C Alexander Burmistrov - to KHL
C Patrice Cormier
RW Tomas Kubalik
D Arturs Kulda
C Bryan Little
C Eric O'Dell
G Edward Pasquale
RW Anthony Peluso
D Paul Postma
D Zach Redmond
LW Eric Tangradi
RW Blake Wheeler

pcanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:16 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Dekanich and Kubalik went KHL as well.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:18 PM
EastRiver

According to CapGeek, Maxime Macenauer hasn't signed with anyone else.

EastRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Jetsman

Guys, I don't post much but it is time for me to beg you to release your fingers from the panic button. It seems Chevy's ridiculous lack of urgency to resign our free agents has got everyone in a tizzy!

Specifically, let's take a pause here on the Grabovski talk! There was obviously a character issue with him in Toronto. Brunner would be 10 x the player to get if we have room for one more UFA.

Also, instead of recycling Antropov, Wellwood, and Mittens back into our lineup, let's give O'Dell a chance, after overcoming his heart surgery, he's earned it - I firmly believe we are looking at a vast addition by subtraction this year by ditching Hainsey, Antropov, Mittens and Wellwood for Sheifele, O'Dell and Trouba. Goodbye dead weight.

Next, Puluso is a vast upgrade over Thorburn in that particular role. I saw Thorburn win ONE fight 2 years ago against the Rangers, that's it!

Lastly, what is latest scoop on Cody Sol? I watched many Kitchener games as a transplanted Winnipeger and I can tell you he's got a lot more game than is ever mentioned in the media or on this site. Maybe a bit more speed needed but that will come. Hainsey was no speed merchant...

Your thoughts?

Jetsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:16 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsman View Post
Guys, I don't post much but it is time for me to beg you to release your fingers from the panic button. It seems Chevy's ridiculous lack of urgency to resign our free agents has got everyone in a tizzy!

Specifically, let's take a pause here on the Grabovski talk! There was obviously a character issue with him in Toronto. Brunner would be 10 x the player to get if we have room for one more UFA.

Also, instead of recycling Antropov, Wellwood, and Mittens back into our lineup, let's give O'Dell a chance, after overcoming his heart surgery, he's earned it - I firmly believe we are looking at a vast addition by subtraction this year by ditching Hainsey, Antropov, Mittens and Wellwood for Sheifele, O'Dell and Trouba. Goodbye dead weight.

Next, Puluso is a vast upgrade over Thorburn in that particular role. I saw Thorburn win ONE fight 2 years ago against the Rangers, that's it!

Lastly, what is latest scoop on Cody Sol? I watched many Kitchener games as a transplanted Winnipeger and I can tell you he's got a lot more game than is ever mentioned in the media or on this site. Maybe a bit more speed needed but that will come. Hainsey was no speed merchant...

Your thoughts?
I liked the "I don't post much" when its your first post
I wouldn't call Grabo's outburst a character issue. He was right, he had every right to proclaim his frustration. Is it something you'd want to see from every player? No, but its not as though he drinks and drives (Pavs) or gets arrested (Buff) those to me are character issues.
Also Grabo is a much more established player than Brunner. If I had to choose one I'd take the guy I'm more certain will be able to play at a high level going forward.

I agree about Peluso. I was one of, perhaps his biggest, cheerleader. People around my seats at the MTSC know of my calls for more "Tony P".

I had high hopes for Cody Sol when he was drafted. The fact he played in the ECHL rather than the AHL last year is concerning to me. Frankly, I've given up on him (though its premature). If he turns into a player I'll be pleasantly surprised.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:24 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Brunner won't come here, he wants to slot into a teams top 6. Peluso is probably staying because he's a direct replacement for Thorburn who is up next year, and he also makes Stuart redundant who is also up next year. Unfortunately we have to basically burn a roster spot to keep his RFA status, but that's not a huge deal.

For a player like Sol, it's extremely rare that a player comes from the ECHL and makes the big show.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:05 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Sol played his OA season in Jr and then when should have been his second season in the AHL got sent to the ECHL after being beaten by almost 1 year younger Melchiori for a spot...
That is pretty telling.

Only one of Melchiori, Chiarot and Sol will likely be a full time NHLer and it seems apparent to even TNSE who that will be as that is the player they have invested in.

The one that worked his way up to the top pair on the rock and won rookie of the year for the team... and even he is iffy to make the show.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:09 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Brunner won't come here, he wants to slot into a teams top 6. Peluso is probably staying because he's a direct replacement for Thorburn who is up next year, and he also makes Stuart redundant who is also up next year. Unfortunately we have to basically burn a roster spot to keep his RFA status, but that's not a huge deal.

For a player like Sol, it's extremely rare that a player comes from the ECHL and makes the big show.
Huh? What in the hell does it matter if Peluso qualifies for Group VI UFA status? You think he is going to get 1.5+ on the open market? Does not matter what happens to him this year (BTW, he needs 75 games played to avoid Group VI, absolutely zero chance that happens even if he does stay healthy), if the Jets want him next year he will be back.

However he will be hard pressed to even make the roster this year.

As for Sol, he has one year left in his ELC. Cannot even crack the roster in St. John's. Yeah, he will not be qualified and will be a walking this off-season. I doubt he even cracks the St. John's roster this year, maybe as a #7.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:13 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

I didn't quite use the right words, more like if we want to keep him as Thorburns replacement we have to burn a roster spot this year. It's kind of silly asset management, but not a huge deal. But if it comes down to sending Peluso or O'Dell down, what do you do?