HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

Old
07-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Lacaar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
We have zero potential contracts that can be considered potential out-performs.
Umm Taylor Hall outperformed his new contract before even entering it last year......

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Lindo

Eberle put up 76 points on a 1.5 mill cap hit, but more of our 'bargain' contracts are on defense. Smid (debatable), definitely Petry's, and hopefully with J.Schultz's too.

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Why throw the player under the bus? I thought he was engaging a lot more this season than he did in the past. He's going to take a while to get comfortable but I definitely saw strides this season.

Paajarvi had the exact same amount of hits as Hall in three less games FYI. Where are all the people bashing Hall? Oh right, he's still an Oiler. Pathetic.
I've been throwing Paajarvi under the bus since the end of his second year. It's when I decided this guy has no brain. He's fast and big.

His saving grace is that he's very coachable. he can be taught to go the areas where the guys with no head for the offensive game go. He's also going to have to grow a pair of balls to do that.

He took a baby step towards that last year.. not a stride.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:41 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Perron's are really hits either. Nothing like Backes, Oshie, Steen or Sobotka. Perron has great skill, but he's not physical at all. Andy McDonald was the only softer Blues players. Perron needs to play with bigger, stronger guys to create space for him. You guys aren't going to fair well against big, physical, strong forchecking teams. But, Perron will amaze you with his hands and skill. He's a great kid too with a great attitude.
And you obviously have no idea how utterly soft MPS is.
Its clear that Perron is the more physically willing player.
That's all we are saying. Nobody said he is Backes.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
I'm looking forward to the GDTs next season. No more abundance of pump-him-up "good play by Paajarvi" posts every night. Now all we need is for Gagner to accept a reasonable contract, maintain his scoring clip from last season, and we can eliminate the beat-him-down "Snowpants" posts as well.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:58 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I've been throwing Paajarvi under the bus since the end of his second year. It's when I decided this guy has no brain. He's fast and big.

His saving grace is that he's very coachable. he can be taught to go the areas where the guys with no head for the offensive game go. He's also going to have to grow a pair of balls to do that.

He took a baby step towards that last year.. not a stride.
He was on pace to more than double his hit totals from his rookie year. I guess that's a baby step but either way it was encouraging. And I'll agree to call Paajarvi a power forward isn't accurate but it pains me to see everyone spewing such venom at the player saying things like "48 hits compared to like 5 by Paajarvi, which were most probably accidental shoulder brushes as he was turning, followed by an apology."

Meanwhile Hall gets lauded for his physical edge. I understand he's more explosive and hit harder but when you look at the numbers MPS throws just as many hits as Hall does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Posters are simply disproving the asinine assertion that Paajarvj is a big-bodied power forward that the Oilers need more of. No one is all-of-a-sudden throwing him under the bus. Relax.
Nice edit

Sick burn though.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
He was on pace to more than double his hit totals from his rookie year. I guess that's a baby step but either way it was encouraging. And I'll agree to call Paajarvi a power forward isn't accurate but it pains me to see everyone spewing such venom at the player saying things like "48 hits compared to like 5 by Paajarvi, which were most probably accidental shoulder brushes as he was turning, followed by an apology."

Meanwhile Hall gets lauded for his physical edge. I understand he's more explosive and hit harder but when you look at the numbers MPS throws just as many hits as Hall does.

Nice edit

Sick burn though.
Too many infractions Also uncalled for.

I'm happy saying we traded a 3LW with possible 2LW upside, for a 2LW. It really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

Old
07-13-2013, 01:46 PM
MessierII

Why are people so upset? Paajarvi was a nice kid but was absolutely a disappointment in the NHL so far and you have to give to get. Perron is more skilled, better defensively, grittier and only 3 years older. He's also a bit of a pest something we've sorely lacked.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:19 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Why are people so upset? Paajarvi was a nice kid but was absolutely a disappointment in the NHL so far and you have to give to get. Perron is more skilled, better defensively, grittier and only 3 years older. He's also a bit of a pest something we've sorely lacked.
I am not sure people are so upset over the actual trade. Obviously I can only speak for myself but I am happy with the trade (short term) but at the same time as I think it is too bad that we lost Paajarvi.

What I and a few other posters have reacted to is the uncalled-for bashing of Paajarvi. I am sad to see him go, but I realize that Perron is a better bet for our top 6 at this point and I am fine with that and honestly quite excited over what Perron may do this year.

What I don't understand is why posters feel the need to bash Paajarvi for just about everything at the moment even his career in Sweden (which despite literally being really good needs to be compared to junior careers in CAN ) and his performance this year which wasn't excellent, but it was decent and a big step in the right direction.

I am under the impression that Paajarvi's 2nd season ruined him for some fans. It was without a doubt one of the worse sophomore seasons ever for a "80GP-15G-19A-rookie-season" player I have ever seen.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:23 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

ask Blues fans why they're bashing Perron. cognitive dissonance.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post
48 hits compared to like 5 by Paajarvi, which were most probably accidental shoulder brushes as he was turning, followed by an apology.
Judging by Magpie's personality, I could totally imagine that happening.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Lacaar

Quote:

Nice edit

Sick burn though.
You may be having a conversation with someone else about how the hits stat has some bearing but it doesn't hold much water for me.

Especially where MPS is concerned. He's never going be a hitter and that's fine. He needs to learn to go to the tough areas of the game to score his goals. He took a baby step in that direction this year.

I'll admit if MPS figures that out he'll be a solid number 2 forward. I just don't think it's something that's easily taught and accepted.. they're called the hard areas of the ice for a reason.

I will maintain that he'll never be a solid offensive threat maintaining his current game off the rush and on the perimiters. The instincts just aren't there.

Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov even get to those areas because they're way better at anticipating the play and where the open ice will be. MPS has to go there and fight for his space because he can't discern that aspect of the game imo.

Old
07-13-2013, 04:18 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
You may be having a conversation with someone else about how the hits stat has some bearing but it doesn't hold much water for me.

Especially where MPS is concerned. He's never going be a hitter and that's fine. He needs to learn to go to the tough areas of the game to score his goals. He took a baby step in that direction this year.

I'll admit if MPS figures that out he'll be a solid number 2 forward. I just don't think it's something that's easily taught and accepted.. they're called the hard areas of the ice for a reason.

I will maintain that he'll never be a solid offensive threat maintaining his current game off the rush and on the perimiters. The instincts just aren't there.

Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov even get to those areas because they're way better at anticipating the play and where the open ice will be. MPS has to go there and fight for his space because he can't discern that aspect of the game imo.
And it shouldn't really hold much water, especially if you're comparing players from different teams. Hits are tallied differently in every building. Now when they're on the same team it makes it a little bit more legitimate because it's not like the score keepers are going to be trying to pump MPS' stats over Halls but yeah, it is what it is.

We weren't seeing a lot of this originally from Magnus, he's starting to come around

Old
07-13-2013, 04:30 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
This hit is absolutely accidental

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:33 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post

Thought this was pretty funny :

Old
07-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
THAT, was Murderous Magnus at his finest. Blew Weise up. Weise was never the same before or after that crushing.

Old
07-13-2013, 04:35 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
THAT, was Murderous Magnus at his finest. Blew Weise up. Weise was never the same before or after that crushing.
You have it mixed up, Weise was never the same after this :

Old
07-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Spawn

Perron is quite the little **** lol.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:37 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:

haha I loved that, that's what you call competing, I'll take that type of battle any day even though he does get the business

Look I'll never trash Pajaarvi, the guy has got great character but he's a Dvorak type not a John Leclair type player. He'll be a good fringe second line solid third line nhler for a long time.

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:38 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:

A good job by him to draw a penalty out of Z.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:39 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Perron is quite the little **** lol.
Quote:
haha I loved that, that's what you call competing, I'll take that type of battle any day even though he does get the business
we could definitely use some more of that

I like the face wash at the end

Quote:
Look I'll never trash Pajaarvi, the guy has got great character but he's a Dvorak type not a John Leclair type player. He'll be a good fringe second line solid third line nhler for a long time.
Agreed.

Old
07-13-2013, 04:43 PM
RisingSun

vCash: 169
Quote:

we need more ****heads like this on our team.

RisingSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Somnii

This is another MacTavish move that I'm going to have to adopt a wait-and-see approach towards, although I'm initially leaning towards liking it.

The Oilers are, as of this moment, a better team thanks to this trade, but I fully expect that opinions on this deal will sway in due time, especially if/when the Oilers miss out on the playoffs again this coming season, and Paajarvi continues to improve.

Perron is quite the talent, but he can be an incredibly frustrating player to watch at times; I do believe that he's going to be a favourite whipping boy around here in short order. Hopefully, I'm proven wrong.

Somnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:03 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnii View Post
This is another MacTavish move that I'm going to have to adopt a wait-and-see approach towards, although I'm initially leaning towards liking it.

The Oilers are, as of this moment, a better team thanks to this trade, but I fully expect that opinions on this deal will sway in due time, especially if/when the Oilers miss out on the playoffs again this coming season, and Paajarvi continues to improve.

Perron is quite the talent, but he can be an incredibly frustrating player to watch at times; I do believe that he's going to be a favourite whipping boy around here in short order. Hopefully, I'm proven wrong.
At least our lines might have nicknames.

Hall-RNH-Yakupov : The 1st Overall Line
Perron-Gagner-Eberle : The Whipping Boys

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

I'm gonna enjoy watching him do that to the Sedins.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote