HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Official Oscar Klefbom thread: Does he make the team out of camp?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2013, 05:13 AM
  #126
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Swedish posters ... I'm wondering for those of you who have watched Klefa play (I really only got to see him at the WJC here in Edmonton/Calgary) does he normally play left side or right side?

He looked to be playing right side at the development camp judging from the video that one poster uploaded to youtube.
I had to think about this for a second but I am sure I've seen him play both sides several times without major difficulty. I could not say which side he is most comfortable on though.

The best one to answer this is probably SouthSwede who follows FBK more closely than most around here.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:38 AM
  #127
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Thanks for doing that. I will embed your vid in this reply.

His shift where he scores starts at 13:18
Goal is ok and all but from 16 min to 18 min you really see how sound he is with position and puck play.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:32 AM
  #128
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I had to think about this for a second but I am sure I've seen him play both sides several times without major difficulty. I could not say which side he is most comfortable on though.

The best one to answer this is probably SouthSwede who follows FBK more closely than most around here.
He was playing right side in WJC when paired with Brodin. From some of the highlights SouthSwe would post though it sure looked like he was playing left side for Farjestad.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:48 PM
  #129
JoeCool16
Registered User
 
JoeCool16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
He was playing right side in WJC when paired with Brodin. From some of the highlights SouthSwe would post though it sure looked like he was playing left side for Farjestad.
Best way to tell is when he's lining up on the faceoff. Any shots of him doing that while playing for Farjestad? He does appear on the left side sometimes during the shifts from the camp scrimmage, mostly because he's skating over to cover or naturally from the development of the play. He eventually ends up on the right side and always lines up there.

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:53 PM
  #130
McClelland
Registered User
 
McClelland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post
The next Swedish Superstar yes but I've never heard anyone saying he's gonna be better than Brodin.
Brodin has always been the better player and the bigger talent up until the WJC when Sweden won the gold, that's when Klefa finally took a solid spot in Färjestads roster. It was as if he realised how good he actually is and since then the Klefa/Brodin been about 50/50 regarding who's the bigger talent.

Brodin then had his success with the national team in the WC and yet again were the player with the brightest future of the two, with all kind of praise from coaches and players.

When Bacon left for Minnesota Klefbom stayed in Färjestad for another year, bulking up and getting a bigger role in the defense.
Up until his injury in the 13th game, he was by far Färjestads best player and SEL's best Dman, not only by my opionion but almost all journalist and such.

He probably wud have been even better if he had been able to play the whole season but there is no doubt at all that he still is ready to play NHL hockey this season.

Still I've never heard anyone(players, coaches, fans, journalists) say he's gonna be better than Brodin, they have always been very equal with Brodin always abit ahead due to performance, but at the same time I don't know who u've been talking to.
I have spoken to many people inside the shl and both Brodin and klefa is highly regarded, a couple hold brodin higher but klefa was ahead for the majority of them.

The biggest reason when i add all their opinions is that klefa is likely best suited to the Nhl, he is big and so enormous strong and still a good skater, a leader on and off ice and he has also potentional offensive skills.

Brodin is a great talent, very mobile and great stickhandling always find position on ice. The minus is that he hasnt the right weight around the boards and seems a bit weak. Of course he can gain some weight and get stronger but maybe on the expense of his mobility.

He had a great rookieseason sheltered by Suter, only the time will give us the answers who will be the better one.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:10 PM
  #131
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Best way to tell is when he's lining up on the faceoff. Any shots of him doing that while playing for Farjestad? He does appear on the left side sometimes during the shifts from the camp scrimmage, mostly because he's skating over to cover or naturally from the development of the play. He eventually ends up on the right side and always lines up there.
It is still both sides. I sent a message to SouthSwede telling him to come over here and straighten things out .

I will go look for some pictures/videos now

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:20 PM
  #132
Ladra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
I have spoken to many people inside the shl and both Brodin and klefa is highly regarded, a couple hold brodin higher but klefa was ahead for the majority of them.

The biggest reason when i add all their opinions is that klefa is likely best suited to the Nhl, he is big and so enormous strong and still a good skater, a leader on and off ice and he has also potentional offensive skills.

Brodin is a great talent, very mobile and great stickhandling always find position on ice. The minus is that he hasnt the right weight around the boards and seems a bit weak. Of course he can gain some weight and get stronger but maybe on the expense of his mobility.

He had a great rookieseason sheltered by Suter, only the time will give us the answers who will be the better one.
I'm both an Oiler and FBK fan and there is no doubt in my mind that Brodin is the bigger talent. And I havn't really heard that many people except other Oiler fans that would pick Klefbom ahead of Brodin. Both are ofcourse of great quality. It was a stretch of games where I thought Klefbom played better than Brodin but not that many.

I also watched 15 ish wild games this year just to see how Brodin fared... and it is very wrong to say that he was sheltered by Suter. He played just as well when he wasn't paired with Suter.

Who is the best? It is probably what style of D.man that you will like. Calm vs. fire. They are playing so differently... Brodin has mobility and IQ vs. Klefboms strength and shot and good skating aswell. Brodin lacks a bit strength and high end speed but his decission making is top notch. Klefbom on the other hand to have better strength and shot "tools" but he his decissionmaking is far from Brodins level. Klefbom has also missed alot of time due to different injuries/cold.

It will be very very interesting to follow both of these guys and their careers.

Ladra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:55 PM
  #133
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladra View Post
I'm both an Oiler and FBK fan and there is no doubt in my mind that Brodin is the bigger talent. And I havn't really heard that many people except other Oiler fans that would pick Klefbom ahead of Brodin. Both are ofcourse of great quality. It was a stretch of games where I thought Klefbom played better than Brodin but not that many.

I also watched 15 ish wild games this year just to see how Brodin fared... and it is very wrong to say that he was sheltered by Suter. He played just as well when he wasn't paired with Suter.

Who is the best? It is probably what style of D.man that you will like. Calm vs. fire. They are playing so differently... Brodin has mobility and IQ vs. Klefboms strength and shot and good skating aswell. Brodin lacks a bit strength and high end speed but his decission making is top notch. Klefbom on the other hand to have better strength and shot "tools" but he his decissionmaking is far from Brodins level. Klefbom has also missed alot of time due to different injuries/cold.

It will be very very interesting to follow both of these guys and their careers.
Agreed... But which side does he prefer?

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:51 AM
  #134
Ladra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Agreed... But which side does he prefer?
IMO he is better on the left side. But he has played both sides. Don't know how he played in FBKs U18 though.

Ladra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:17 AM
  #135
Usual_Suspect
Registered User
 
Usual_Suspect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 3 hours South
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Edit: Wrong thread

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:25 AM
  #136
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
The reason I brought up left side/right side in the first place was because I think most of us had envisioned a future pairing of Klefa - Schultz

But if Klefa prefers to play right side then that would split that pairing up (which isn't a bad thing IMO)
Future top 4 of
Smid-Schultz
Marincin-Klefa ?

Good mix of stalwart Dman with puck moving offensively minded Dman on both top pairs.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:29 AM
  #137
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,364
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The reason I brought up left side/right side in the first place was because I think most of us had envisioned a future pairing of Klefa - Schultz

But if Klefa prefers to play right side then that would split that pairing up (which isn't a bad thing IMO)
Future top 4 of
Smid-Schultz
Marincin-Klefa ?

Good mix of stalwart Dman with puck moving offensively minded Dman on both top pairs.
I would almost say

Klefa - Schutlz
Marincin - Petry
Smid - Musil

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:34 AM
  #138
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I would almost say

Klefa - Schutlz
Marincin - Petry
Smid - Musil
I literally said in the post above yours that those D pairs I put out were in the case that Klefa plays R side and a Klefbom-Schultz pairing wouldn't work...

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:35 AM
  #139
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,364
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I literally said in the post above yours that those D pairs I put out were in the case that Klefa plays R side and a Klefbom-Schultz pairing wouldn't work...
fair enough, makes sense.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:57 AM
  #140
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,402
vCash: 500
If Klefbom/Schultz can be a poor man's Seabrook/Keith, I'll do backflips naked through the streets.

Trafalgar Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:42 AM
  #141
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I would almost say

Klefa - Schutlz
Marincin - Petry
Smid - Musil
Nurse likely cracks the NHL before Musil. Marincin is far from ready. And where's Ference???

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
  #142
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
You think Nurse is going to crack the NHL line up before Musil ?

Lofty expectations for Nurse.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:27 PM
  #143
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
You think Nurse is going to crack the NHL line up before Musil ?

Lofty expectations for Nurse.
Musil might never make the NHL period. His skating is better than Alex Plante and that's about it.

Trafalgar Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:42 PM
  #144
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladra View Post
IMO he is better on the left side. But he has played both sides. Don't know how he played in FBKs U18 though.
Thanks.

I went back to game reports and in the sample I chose (11 games from this season + 11 games from last season) he was listed as LD 10 times and RD 12 times...

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:30 PM
  #145
supert
Registered User
 
supert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
i've been measured anywhere between 190 cm (6'3) to 196 cm (6'5) over last 5 years, results may vary greatly because of daytime (you may be up to an inch taller when you get up opposed to when you go to sleep), also many other things may kick in.
Makes sense if they are measuring their shadows . Next one will be 8 feet tall

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:32 PM
  #146
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Thanks.

I went back to game reports and in the sample I chose (11 games from this season + 11 games from last season) he was listed as LD 10 times and RD 12 times...
I find this very interesting.
I think most of us saw him as a LD, but if he prefers to play RD it could change things significantly.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:36 PM
  #147
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I find this very interesting.
I think most of us saw him as a LD, but if he prefers to play RD it could change things significantly.
There are people who know this better than I but it seems to me from watching who he's played with that he'll basically take the side the other doesn't want (Brodin RD - Klefa LD or Lindstrom LD - Klefa RD), and his play does not seem to suffer from it... I didn't see other D-men on that team that change as much as he does.

Oh, and I didn't go back so far looking since I wanted to see where he played when he was arguably one of the top d-men on his team (i.e. spring 2012 and fall 2013).

Development camp is one thing but I think we'll see where he's slotted in during TC.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:02 AM
  #148
SouthSwe
Registered User
 
SouthSwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
We do quite often change our d pairings in Färjestad and because Klefa and Brodin can play on both sides it's quite easy to just place them wherever there is a hole.
The older D's prefers to play on the side they have played for many years so Klefbom and Brodin gets the other side as Lagu said.

Oscar is used to swap sides from game to game or even shift to shift so I doubt that will be a problem in the NHL.

SouthSwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:29 AM
  #149
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post
We do quite often change our d pairings in Färjestad and because Klefa and Brodin can play on both sides it's quite easy to just place them wherever there is a hole.
The older D's prefers to play on the side they have played for many years so Klefbom and Brodin gets the other side as Lagu said.

Oscar is used to swap sides from game to game or even shift to shift so I doubt that will be a problem in the NHL.
You are so wise SouthSwe

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.