HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Ville de Québec Part X: Pousse mais pousse égal Gary! (Mod warning post #774)

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post
Why would you believe anything that weasel has ever said about Winnipeg and Quebec?...
Why would I believe anything Bettman says? 90% of it I dont. But that 10% when I know he's being honest, dont have to divide & subtract from his statements, then I know he's being real. And Ive heard him say it enough times about Quebec to buy it. You might think Im dumb, a sucker, but I think Im right about it, believe your wrong.... On your list there, Im thinking the end-game for Phoenix will in fact be Houston. And I also think Expansion happens X's 2: Seattle, Ouebec City in 2015. The rest of em', not seeing it happen. GTA2 has already imploded, KC is a non-starter: Vegas is a nightmare: Hartfords got no chance & Clevelands way to close to Columbus; Milwaukee & hopefully Hamilton entering by 2020.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:27 AM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post
Gary's wish list for movement/expansion:

1. Seattle
2. Las Vegas
3. Houston
4. Kansas City
5. Milwaukee
6. Cleveland
7. Hartford
8. GTA 2
9. Quebec City
I'll humour you by pretending you have some kind of info to base this on, but I don't see why you would believe this:

Kansas City has had an NHL arena for much longer than Quebec. They still have pretty much never been in the discussion for Phoenix or Atlanta. I don't see why this would change. They are barely on the list.

Hartford has been told repeatedly that it is more than a longshot. It is too close to the Rangers and it has a tiny population.

GTA2 has 3 teams lobbying against it, including 2 who would have to waive territorial rights. Good luck.

Cleveland is the 29th largest metro area in the US with just over 2 million people, Milwaukee is 39th with just over 1.5 million. Cleveland has 3 major league sports teams.
Milwaukee has 2 and if you consider the average US city with an NHL team only has 10% of NHL fans, that would mean only 150 000 people to support an NHL team...

Seattle, Las Vegas and Houston are options, but Houston seems to have taken itself out of the game, really Quebec is at worst 3rd on the list.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:08 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
Seattle, Las Vegas and Houston are options, but Houston seems to have taken itself out of the game, really Quebec is at worst 3rd on the list.
The only 3 on that list that make any sense would be Seattle for obvious reasons, Houston (new investor with RSE in Phoenix with serious money from Houston - so I could see that happening through relo IF the deal happens) and of course Quebec City. Milwaukee is intriguing but only if the Bucks move to Seattle, a new arena built, Wirtz in Chicago willing. As for Southern Ontario: my picks & support lies with Hamilton, Expansion, possibly by 2017/20. Of the lot, Quebec City #1, Seattle #2 for the most immediate Expansion & or Relocation.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:42 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Maybe it's just me but I never thought the Coyotes situation was that linked to Quebec as far as the team moving and being renamed the Nordiques? It never bothered me and was never in fear of them not coming in QC and Quebec missing out on a team.

(I tend to think it's because I already have a team so I can watch what they are doing and other Nords fans are more worried and impatient about it cause they don't have a particular home as hockey fans since the Nords left?)

But here's the thing, what the Coyotes situation did however was put a torch on the butts of not only Quebec city city as a whole but the entire province including politicians, fans and so forth into going ahead by every means possibles to get a new arena. Why do you think the building of an arena is happening now? Cause politicians realised that it's possible to have a team esp. the way Atlanta moved to Winnipeg. And now the arena is being built and in my opinion this would never have happened if guys like Mayor Labeaume would not have had the "OK" from Gary Bettman in the first place. I trully believe that.

In short, I think as a whole the whole Coyotes Epic "story" was great for Quebec city and for Quebec to have a team in the near futur.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:53 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Come on down New Jersey Devils. What do you get for struggling financially and then stabbing 29 other Owners in the league in the back by not taking up their fight and tolling/suspending instead of voiding the contract of Kovalchuk? Why, it is sold and relocated to Quebec City. It might not be that simple, but I can honestly see with all the problems already existing in Jersey and then this action which more than likely infuriated a substantial number of Owners the real possibility of New Jersey to QC.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:35 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
The Devils aren't relocating. Their financial problems are wholly related to them building their arena at literally the worst possible time imaginable and getting sunk in the debt coming from it.

They're a new owner away from being fine. If they ever get put on the auction block, a New Jersey group will easily swoop in and pick them up.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

Well, with Darryl Jones on board we can count 1 more vote against us if there happens to be a relocation vote at some point in the future. I didn't think of that one.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Undertakerqc

The arena is moving forward nicely. Steel frame should start going up this automn: http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcam...tre/index.aspx

Old
07-13-2013, 01:32 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
Hartford has been told repeatedly that it is more than a longshot. It is too close to the Rangers and it has a tiny population.
1.9 Million people within 30 min of the XL Center is to small? New York too close? NY and BOS are both over 100 miles away. 3rd richest state in the country, most disposable income, strong corporate base (Travelers, Aetna, United Technologies, Stanley Black & Decker, The Hartford, United Health, Met Life, etc, etc.) AND no professional team. Most importantly there's already an existing fanbase that you can begin to build up again.

Last edited by NHL Hartford: 07-13-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old
07-13-2013, 03:03 PM
NHL Hartford

Cleveland I don't believe would be able to support another professional team let alone an NHL team. I also don't think the NHL has any plans for 2 teams in Ohio.

Milwaukee isn't an option as long as the Bucks are there.

LV is the biggest gamble (pardon the pun) not worth the risk imo.

Qc is a lock.

Houston/KC are apathetic.

1 of Seattle/Portland is a lock.

That leaves 1 more opening and for the life of me I don't see 9 teams in Canada right or wrong.

Hartford needs an arena and I realize it's the biggest piece, but after that there's not very many obstacles left, an owner would be found, there's no pre-exisiting/future tenants to contend with (Super Sonics), or operators who wouldn't want the NHL (Houston).

Last edited by NHL Hartford: 07-13-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old
07-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
1.9 Million people within 30 min of the XL Center is to small? New York too close? NY and BOS are both over 100 miles away. 3rd richest state in the country, most disposable income, strong corporate base (Travelers, Aetna, United Technologies, Stanley Black & Decker, The Hartford, United Health, Met Life, etc, etc.) AND no professional team. Most importantly there's already an existing fanbase that you can begin to build up again.
My rule of thumb for market size: 1 canadian = 2 northern market american = 4 southern market american

Old
07-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Perhaps bored with having his money lying around, PKP bought out his competition in the magazine industry today.

Indeed, Quebecor has bought out the company that makes "La Semaine".

La Semaine's creator, Claude J. Charron, now has the distinction of having sold his business to PKP twice in the last 15 years and three times in all. The man should make "Creating magazines that Quebecor will eventually buy" a part of his resume.

Last edited by Phil Parent: 07-18-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old
07-19-2013, 04:05 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Perhaps bored with having his money lying around, PKP bought out his competition in the magazine industry today.

La Semaine's creator, Claude J. Charron, now has the distinction of having sold his business to PKP twice in the last 15 years and three times in all. The man should make "Creating magazines that Quebecor will eventually buy" a part of his resume.
I predict we're gonna have more and more pages of Celine Dion for years to come.

Old
07-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

Don't know why the keep playing this game. It's the third time they've done it.

Charron Creates magazine, Quebecor buys it. repeat process again and again.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Hey, if the seattle thread is being resurrected, this one ought to be (and stickied) too!

So there's a rumor of the Nhl granting a 275 million $ expansion to Seattle. IF this is true, This brings us to 31 teams. So for the sake of logic and balance it's obvious the NHL will add another team!

Considering it's doubtfull the NHL will give a team within Toronto's territory, and I seriously doubt there's anyone that would pay that price in either Portland or Houston for an expansion team, I feel we'll be co-expansion partners!

What do you think?

Old
07-31-2013, 08:23 AM
LouisOlivier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Hey, if the seattle thread is being resurrected, this one ought to be (and stickied) too!

So there's a rumor of the Nhl granting a 275 million $ expansion to Seattle. IF this is true, This brings us to 31 teams. So for the sake of logic and balance it's obvious the NHL will add another team!

Considering it's doubtfull the NHL will give a team within Toronto's territory, and I seriously doubt there's anyone that would pay that price in either Portland or Houston for an expansion team, I feel we'll be co-expansion partners!

What do you think?
I don't really see Portland with Seattle at the same time. We have good chance of having the 32nd one, good ownership group, brand new arena, rabid hockey fan base (expension = top bottom for 5 years min).

I think even if Seattle gets an expension, Portland have some chance too, Houson, Las Vegas. Maybe the NHL is only planning for expending to 31 team..

Old
07-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisOlivier View Post
I think even if Seattle gets an expension, Portland have some chance too, Houson, Las Vegas. Maybe the NHL is only planning for expending to 31 team..
There were 21 teams for twelve years, so an odd number of teams isn't without precedent.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:28 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
There were 21 teams for twelve years, so an odd number of teams isn't without precedent.
I think that, considering the mess that usually is an expansion draft, wouldn't it make more sense to have a single one for two teams at once rather then two in short succession?

Old
07-31-2013, 09:07 AM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
During the 21 team era, there wasn't a great appetite for expansion back then. St. Louis nearly folded after the move the Saskatoon was voted down for example.

That changed after the Gretzky trade to LA, IMO. So I don't see an odd number lasting nearly that long if that all.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
I think that, considering the mess that usually is an expansion draft, wouldn't it make more sense to have a single one for two teams at once rather then two in short succession?
If there are plans to expand by two teams, then yes. But all talk of a second team, to this point, has been completely theoretical, speculative, and driven the notion that the league "should" have an equal number of teams in each division, when there is 26 years of evidence (1974-2000) to the contrary.

Show me evidence that the league is actively gunning for 32 teams, and we can talk about how messy two expansion drafts will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
During the 21 team era, there wasn't a great appetite for expansion back then. St. Louis nearly folded after the move the Saskatoon was voted down for example.

That changed after the Gretzky trade to LA, IMO. So I don't see an odd number lasting nearly that long if that all.
I'm not sure how a vetoed relocation proves a lack of appetite for expansion.

I'm certainly not suggesting that it'd be another 12 years before we have an even number of teams. It's important to note that having 21 teams was also a function of Minnesota and Cleveland merging a year prior to the WHA merger, so it's clear that the NHL didn't want 21 teams, but accepted it anyway. Even so, if an odd number of teams was perceived to be such an issue, it wouldn't have taken twelve years to resolve it.

Last edited by Buck Aki Berg: 07-31-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old
07-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
If there are plans to expand by two teams, then yes. But all talk of a second team, to this point, has been completely theoretical, speculative, and driven the notion that the league "should" have an equal number of teams in each division, when there is 26 years of evidence (1974-2000) to the contrary.

Show me evidence that the league is actively gunning for 32 teams, and we can talk about how messy two expansion drafts will be.
Erhm... the conferences are unbalanced and will be made whole by two expansion teams.

There's also the NFL precedent of gunning for 32 teams.

However, of course, that's not evidence. But I do not see the league only expending once when there are other interrested buyers, arenas and markets ready to throw money at the NHL!

Old
07-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

Quote:
Erhm... the conferences are unbalanced and will be made whole by two expansion teams.

There's also the NFL precedent of gunning for 32 teams.

However, of course, that's not evidence. But I do not see the league only expending once when there are other interrested buyers, arenas and markets ready to throw money at the NHL!
The Atlantic division already has 8 teams, I can't see Detroit moving.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:

I'm not sure how a vetoed relocation proves a lack of appetite for expansion.

I'm certainly not suggesting that it'd be another 12 years before we have an even number of teams. It's important to note that having 21 teams was also a function of Minnesota and Cleveland merging a year prior to the WHA merger, so it's clear that the NHL didn't want 21 teams, but accepted it anyway. Even so, if an odd number of teams was perceived to be such an issue, it wouldn't have taken twelve years to resolve it.
True enough, perhaps I used the wrong term of lack of appetite. Lack of expansion options may have been more the case back then.

Hopefully, the league will end up expanding by 2 anyways when the time is right.

Old
07-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
The Atlantic division already has 8 teams, I can't see Detroit moving.
Why would Detroit have to move? Just look at the thread about realignment. There are plenty of way to arrange things after an expansion without having Detroit move west.

Old
07-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Why are you presupposing that it's an issue to the people in the boardroom that the conferences are unbalanced?

Closed Thread