HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2014 Calder Trophy prediction

Old
07-12-2013, 10:19 AM
SaintMorose

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
It's a crowded field this year, that's for sure. Here's a few popular picks that are doubtful:

Baertschi - Nothing against him, but he'll have no help. Really hard to succeed in that context. He might do as well as Huberdeau did, but the competition will be stiffer than last year.
Wait... the reason he's doubtful is that you have nothing against him and he's in a comparable position to last years winner?

Quote:
Monahan - Flames fans dreaming.
So I searched the thread to find out what you were talking about for Monahan.

1 person (not a Flames fan) mentioned him as a runner-up = popular pick
Flames fan came in and said he won't be ahead of Baertschi = Flames fans dreaming
got it!

Sven's gotta be a top 3 favorite this year after the way he finished last season I don't think any rookie did more in the final month and he's going to come in with another off-season of training. I really don't think Monahan has any chance at it between guys like Sven, Trouba, Pirri, and Sheif and the first 4 picks from 2013 I don't know if he's even a top 10 rookie if he makes it (but I'll be cheering hard!).

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:20 AM
danyhabsfan

vCash: 500
Drouin

http://www.rds.ca/vid%C3%A9os/drouin...lerie-1.640102

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
Wait... the reason he's doubtful is that you have nothing against him and he's in a comparable position to last years winner?
That's right. I think he'll be a breath of fresh air on a putrid team, and I don't think that will be enough to win. I think it's going to take a rookie succeeding on a good team to give MacKinnon a run for his money.

Also, I said that he MIGHT do as well as Huberdaeu. Their positions are similar, but Huberdeau is better.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:56 AM
FrolikFan67

im going with drouin but i want barkov of course.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:58 AM
SaintMorose

Quote:
That's right. I think he'll be a breath of fresh air on a putrid team, and I don't think that will be enough to win. I think it's going to take a rookie succeeding on a good team to give MacKinnon a run for his money.

Also, I said that he MIGHT do as well as Huberdaeu. Their positions are similar, but Huberdeau is better.
Can't really hate on picking MacKinnon as he's a special talent; but I'm still shocked you would write Sven out of your top 5.

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:59 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Ty Rattie will put up 50 -60 points as a rookie.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:03 AM
Mr Writer

It's going to be an exceptional rookie class....Can't wait to get the season going!

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:21 AM
redbeard7737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Ty Rattie will put up 50 -60 points as a rookie.
no chance, especially playing in St Louis...

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:29 AM
MMANumminen

a poll would be nice...

Drouin is my answer

MMANumminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:50 AM
416Leafer

Drouin has a good chance to get the most points if he's playing alongside Stamkos with top minutes.

MacKinnon I don't think has a great chance, I'm assuming he'll be getting secondary minutes in Colorado.

Barkov if he starts next year might, as he'd be top line with Huberdeau on the wing. But with less veteran support, they'd be more prone to inconsistency unlike Stamkos-Drouin.

Baertschi should get the ice-time, and has the benefit of being several years older than a lot of the other prospects He could have a decent shot.

Defencemen? Rielly/Jones/Trouba, like MacKinnon, probably wouldn't get the top ice-time required to put up great numbers. Murrays not the type of Dman that gets noticed much in Calder voting (see Brodin this past season),

Goaltenders? I don't think Lehner or Markstrom are elligible.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Every year the Calder trophy consensus predictions always seem to go wrong. It's a notoriously difficult prediction to make.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:13 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
Every year the Calder trophy consensus predictions always seem to go wrong. It's a notoriously difficult prediction to make.
Kind weird posting this when the most recent Calder winner was probably a top 3 choice last year.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Kind weird posting this when the most recent Calder winner was probably a top 3 choice last year.
Not to mention the years before was the 3rd overall pick

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:45 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Hopefully Jones or Forsberg!

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:51 PM
tc23
#FireBenning

vCash: 77
My bet's on Scheifele. He'll be in a good position to win a top-6 spot with the Jets and is mature enough to make an impact that 18-year olds rarely make.

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:19 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc23 View Post
My bet's on Scheifele. He'll be in a good position to win a top-6 spot with the Jets and is mature enough to make an impact that 18-year olds rarely make.
If he sticks next year and doesn't end up in the A, there's a reasonable chance that he could be on a line with Kane and Setoguchi. If this happens, he could have a very good year - that line will get sheltered minutes, while LLW takes the tough minutes.

Has to kick the door down and take the spot first though.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:44 PM
crazyaces**

Morgan Reilly AINEC!

crazyaces** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:22 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
So a highlight of a 3 on 3 in development camp, where they aren't skating hard, not playing physical, and they are all rookies and prospects means Drouin is going to win the Calder.

I think Drouin is a viable candidate, but your clip means very little in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure I can find clips of every rookie making similar type plays when they actually hit the ice for the first time to.

The thing that worries me about Drouin is the same thing that worried me about RNH when he was a rookie, and that is, will he be able to handle the physical side of the game. I think Drouin will struggle for about 20 games or so until he adjust to the physical side of the game, this isn't juniors anymore your not just going to dangle NHL players on a nightly basis. Sure Drouin might pull it off a few times, but the NHL is a totally different animal when it comes to night in night out physicality and you have to have more than dangles to survive.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:35 AM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

Quote:
It's a crowded field this year, that's for sure. Here's a few popular picks that are doubtful:

Seth Jones - very difficult for 19 y/o defenseman to learn the game and put up enough points to win the Calder. Very unlikely.

Jonathan Drouin - Classic case of too good for junior, not enough man-strength for the NHL. I hope they send him back.

Baertschi - Nothing against him, but he'll have no help. Really hard to succeed in that context. He might do as well as Huberdeau did, but the competition will be stiffer than last year.

Grigorenko - I don't see it. At all.

Brock Nelson - He'll be playing a third line role without significant PP time. He won't produce big numbers in that role.

Monahan - Flames fans dreaming.

Here's who I think the real contenders will be:

1. MacKinnon - has explosiveness and some help. Again, physically there. Of all the guys here, he can create most for himself.

2. Trouba - He's got a lot of help, which gives him more freedom. Physically there.

3. Strome - He still has a baby face, but he grew up a lot. Game is built to play left half boards on the PP opposite Tavares.

4. Pirri - Will be able to pad his assist total. Will he score goals?

5. Schiefele - He'll be skating with good players. Big help.

I don't know enough about Nicushkin, Barkov, or Lindholm to comment.

Overall, I like MacKinnon as the favorite.
Cammalleri, Glencross, Stempniak, and Backlund will also be in the top 6, as well as potentially Monahan. That's a pretty average offensive unit. 50+ points are realistic for Sven.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:11 AM
Flamester

i think a dman is going to win it this year forsure, either morgan reilly, seth jones, or ryan murray. but from the forwars ill say strome, baertschi, or drouin. alot of rookies coming in next year

Last edited by Flamester: 07-14-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Flamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:20 AM
Jetsfareast
Helly Yeah

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc23 View Post

Jetsfareast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:41 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Well, Huberdeau wasn't that big of a surprise, but if you go back and have a look at the threads from last year it was all about Silfverberg, Yakupov, Granlund etc... none of whom received a nomination.. with the other two real nominees Saad and Gallagher not among the favorites. At least that's how I recall it.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
Well, Huberdeau wasn't that big of a surprise, but if you go back and have a look at the threads from last year it was all about Silfverberg, Yakupov, Granlund etc... none of whom received a nomination.. with the other two real nominees Saad and Gallagher not among the favorites. At least that's how I recall it.
Take out the Eastern bias and maybe the leading goal scorer would have atleast been a finalist. You know, the guy that was second in goals only to Ovechkin in the last month of the season.

But I guess these are the same jokes that voted Ovechkin as 2nd team all-star on LW over the 2nd highest point producer in the West, even though Ovechkin wasn't a LW; Hence the first-team RW selection.

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
My choice is hampus lindholm or joe morrow

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:47 AM
McDuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
So a highlight of a 3 on 3 in development camp, where they aren't skating hard, not playing physical, and they are all rookies and prospects means Drouin is going to win the Calder.

I think Drouin is a viable candidate, but your clip means very little in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure I can find clips of every rookie making similar type plays when they actually hit the ice for the first time to.

The thing that worries me about Drouin is the same thing that worried me about RNH when he was a rookie, and that is, will he be able to handle the physical side of the game. I think Drouin will struggle for about 20 games or so until he adjust to the physical side of the game, this isn't juniors anymore your not just going to dangle NHL players on a nightly basis. Sure Drouin might pull it off a few times, but the NHL is a totally different animal when it comes to night in night out physicality and you have to have more than dangles to survive.
RNH seemed to handle the physical side of the game more than fine, his only injury coming after tripping over the blueline and hitting the boards all by himself.

McDuul is offline   Reply With Quote