HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks and Faceoffs

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 06:43 PM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

vCash: 500
Sharks and Faceoffs

Looking at the game tonite after two the Sharks do not appear to
be holding their own in the faceoff department. I would have thought
this more important for a team whos strategy is puck posession. Why
are we not doing better here?

Old
01-05-2004, 06:44 PM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzank
Looking at the game tonite after two the Sharks do not appear to
be holding their own in the faceoff department. I would have thought
this more important for a team whos strategy is puck posession. Why
are we not doing better here?
Forgot to add in that this is a trend for *alot* of games this just the current one.

Old
01-05-2004, 08:16 PM
ModestoFan

Send a message via Yahoo to ModestoFan
Mark Smith has showed dominance on faceoffs at times. I also am wondering the same thing, as faceoffs are key to get SJ's transition game going.

Although, for the most part, we do better in the third on faceoffs, anectodally speaking, of course. I clearly remember the Anahiem series, we couldn't buy a faceoff win in the first or second, but the third we were about even.

Anyone have any ideas as to wy though?

Old
01-06-2004, 03:23 AM
landshark
Beat L. A.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestoFan
Mark Smith has showed dominance on faceoffs at times. I also am wondering the same thing, as faceoffs are key to get SJ's transition game going.

Although, for the most part, we do better in the third on faceoffs, anectodally speaking, of course. I clearly remember the Anahiem series, we couldn't buy a faceoff win in the first or second, but the third we were about even.

Anyone have any ideas as to wy though?
It could be combination of things. 1. the Sharks seem to gain intensity when the third period rolls around. 2. Mark Smith has been out of the line-up, much to my chagrin. 3. The Sharks seem to wear their opponents down and really charge in the 3rd. I don't know that this explains anything, but then, i'm a bit inebriated since i just got off work. I gotta say though, i listened to the game tonight on the internet. I was very pleased with the last 10-15 minutes of the game. This time, it was enough to win the game.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:15 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Down the road Marcel Goc and Brad Boyes should help, expeacially Goc, he's a dominating force in the circle, Boyes is pretty dang good to.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:15 AM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
Down the road Marcel Goc and Brad Boyes should help, expeacially Goc, he's a dominating force in the circle, Boyes is pretty dang good to.
... and further down the road, Hennessy. He's doing very well in faceoffs in the Q.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:21 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Michalek is actually pretty good in the face off circle suprisingly, Just saying if a center gets tossed he can step in and do very good.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Who's surprized?

~Crazed.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:39 AM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Michalek is actually pretty good in the face off circle suprisingly, Just saying if a center gets tossed he can step in and do very good.
That's another reason why the Wilsons love having centers on the roster playing at wing... not only have they proclaimed that centers are normally better with vision and defensive responsibilities, but when someone gets tossed you have another former center there to step in.

The Sharks have multiple centers on every line, except maybe the third -- but Thornton is a good faceoff guy there too.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
...The Sharks have multiple centers on every line, except maybe the third -- but Thornton is a good faceoff guy there too.
Wasn't Thornton a centre when he came over to the Sharks? I thought Sutter converted him to a winger?

Old
01-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Kevin Wey

Thornton has always been a wing.

As far as face-offs go, Damphousse and Ricci have not been, historically guys who get much around 50%. They hover around 50%. McCauley was not particularly good at face-offs in previous years, nor Wayne Primeau. Mark Smith wins face-offs, yes, but he doesn't take face-offs against the top centermen in the NHL. Marleau's face-off efficiency had gone up slowly over the years, but he's somebody who now, is going to approach 50%, which, considering who he would take draws against, isn't THAT bad.

Although San Jose isn't awesome in the face-off circle, I'm not concerned since the team is winning. Take away October, and San Jose is freaking awesome. Roster doesn't look THAT special, but it's getting the job done.

That's why I'm not gung-ho about acquiring Huselius when Korolyuk just seems to be finally getting it together. Plus, there are other young Sharks...Doug Wilson has said that prospects should feel free to come kick him in the face if he acquires somebody who isn't substantially better than them. Yes, Huselius has talent, but...it's not like San Jose would be going out and acquiring Joe Thornton.

I'm fine with San Jose's line-up as it is, with Wilson of course monitoring the defense for a possible acquisition with McLaren injured. Could be worse, I watched the St. Louis game last night where Barrett Jackman left after one shift.

Man alive is Zyuzin a new defenseman, ever from last year, when he was playing decent. He's finding a way to win battles, and not even physically. He's becoming Minnesota's version of Niklas Lidstrom. (Granted, Lidstrom is superior for now, but Lemaire and crew have really turned Zyuzin around.)

Old
01-06-2004, 08:31 PM
mage23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cheech4
Wasn't Thornton a centre when he came over to the Sharks? I thought Sutter converted him to a winger?
He was a center earlier in his career... but has been playing wing pretty much exclusively for a long time. In that respect, I guess he'd fall into the same category as Marco.

Old
01-09-2004, 04:47 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

I don't know but Mike Ricci has won 54,1% of his FO's this season, 26th in the league (not bad).
Just my $0,02

Old
01-09-2004, 11:00 AM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Vinny D, Ricci, Prems, Smith are all guys that are supposed to be good
at faceoffs - to me this means 51% or better averages. Part of
this could be the linesman and how they drop the puck...

This topic came up on last nites game TV broadcast - do you
think they read our little message borad? Anyway, the context
was what Management thought the team needed to do to improve
over the last half of the season. One was faceoffs, the other
was the power play. Apparently a 7th or 8th ranked PP is
not good enough. FYI the PK was 3rd before last nites game.

Old
01-09-2004, 12:02 PM
mage23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzank
Vinny D, Ricci, Prems, Smith are all guys that are supposed to be good
at faceoffs - to me this means 51% or better averages. Part of
this could be the linesman and how they drop the puck...

This topic came up on last nites game TV broadcast - do you
think they read our little message borad? Anyway, the context
was what Management thought the team needed to do to improve
over the last half of the season. One was faceoffs, the other
was the power play. Apparently a 7th or 8th ranked PP is
not good enough. FYI the PK was 3rd before last nites game.
Last night's effort should certainly raise the faceoff ranking of the team.

The Sharks were 48-22 on the night in faceoffs, including 21-8 in the offensive zone (one of which led to the GTG, of course).

For the record:
McCauley 14-5 (73%)
Marleau 13-6 (68%)
Ricci 13-5 (72%)
Primeau 7-5 (58%)
Ekman 1-1 (50%)

Old
01-09-2004, 08:13 PM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
Last night's effort should certainly raise the faceoff ranking of the team.

The Sharks were 48-22 on the night in faceoffs, including 21-8 in the offensive zone (one of which led to the GTG, of course).

For the record:
McCauley 14-5 (73%)
Marleau 13-6 (68%)
Ricci 13-5 (72%)
Primeau 7-5 (58%)
Ekman 1-1 (50%)
Agreed! They were amaizing on faceoffs last nite. THere was a streach
in the 3rd where we won 3 or 4 in their end that resulted in good shots
and scoring chances. They must of parctised or talked about this...

Old
01-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Goc is superior to Boyes on the draws. I'd say Goc is well over 60% on faceoffs, could be touching 70% even. Rarely does he lose a defensive zone draw too.

Closed Thread