HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Ilya Kovalchuk Announces Retirement

Old
07-13-2013, 04:18 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Apparently they didn't forfeit the 29th pick to show their players that management has faith in them. Winning the Cup means the 30th overall pick, so they wanted to show their players that they believe that they'll get a 30th overall pick.

Lol.
If that's really the case they are pretty dumb. I personally thought they were targeting Subban with the 29th pick...unfortunately for them he went 5 spots earlier.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Boo hoo for these fans. All they do is sit on their couches paying these men to play a kids game. They also get quite upset and take it quite seriously watching these men play a kids game. Case in point this entirely too dramatic post

Regardless they don't have to care. I see you utterly failed to grasp the point.
There was a point?

Lindberg Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:12 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
You don't "live up" to a contract when you leave 10+ years on it. The rest of the issue means very little to me. If we wanted to go home, he should have signed a shorter contract.
You do if part of the contract says that you can retire and do exactly what kovalchuk just did... Since when has any player ever in history been required tofinish a contract? You either don't get paid or you get traded this isn't something so crazy...

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:13 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
Kovulchuk gutted their franchise. They basically created the lockout to get him, they built their roster around him and he bailed in his prime with 10 years left on his deal?

He is quite possibly the most selfish player in the history of hockey.

No one forced him to sign in NJ. He has an agent and a lawyer. He knew the tax ramifications, he understood the NHL escrow. Its one thing to take the teams $$$, it's another to let them clearly invest so much in you being the future of the team and then just bailing.

So he will get more $$ playing in a a league with less elite competition and less pressure. Personally, I dont think anyone can fault the guy for getting what he wants, but the Devils franchise takes an awful step backwards.

Kovy doesnt care about playing vs the best. He just wants to play and make the most $$$. He doesnt care about the cup
The Devils gutted themselves or are we now trying to remove all blame from the Devils for incurring a justifiable punishment. The original contract AND this contract were CLEARLY intended to have him retire BEFORE the contract was finished so I think your bit of revisionist history is just plain wrong here.

You're right that no one forced him to sign what does that even mean? Again why does he have to care about the cup? Living in his home country trumps the cup. Good for him he's a sane human being. It's also perfectly reasonable if someone wants to take a few years of their life living in a foreign land to win a championship too. But his decision is perfectly sane

Old
07-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Drafting Matteau looks so much worse now lmao.

07-13-2013, 05:21 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
It's a "retirement," not a retirement. An actual retirement means you are no longer a professional hockey player. Obviously, that isn't the case here.

Lou and Kovalchuk found a loophole to get out of a bad contract and incur the smallest cap hit penalty possible.

You don't have to be a great philosopher or savant of the human condition to see this situation is stinky.
The number people ignoring that bolded bit has been astounding. good for you realizing this.

Like I said many times this has AAAALWAYS been an early retirement contract. Now that the lockout dust settled it's painfully obvious that this was a supremely advantageous time for him to retire for the NJD and for him. Yet people act as if he's this monster which is what I have been debating against. Pacific Rim: giants robots vs Kaiju and Kovalchuk

Old
07-13-2013, 05:22 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg Cheese View Post
There was a point?
Yup very simple to grasp too...I'll leave it at that

Old
07-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
The Devils gutted themselves or are we now trying to remove all blame from the Devils for incurring a justifiable punishment. The original contract AND this contract were CLEARLY intended to have him retire BEFORE the contract was finished so I think your bit of revisionist history is just plain wrong here.

You're right that no one forced him to sign what does that even mean? Again why does he have to care about the cup? Living in his home country trumps the cup. Good for him he's a sane human being. It's also perfectly reasonable if someone wants to take a few years of their life living in a foreign land to win a championship too. But his decision is perfectly sane
Well spoken. Kinda tired of all the Kovy haters. So he misses his family and don't find the NHL intriguing enough to stay. That's it, people make it sound like he ruined the leauge. And considering NJD, they signed a retirement contract, and that is what they got. The cheaters got cheated. Or maybe it was a part of Lou's plan...

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:41 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
I've seen that quote floating around that it was something he was thinking about "for a long time." So why try to fight and claw for a 10+ year contract if going back home to Russia was something he was thinking about, and clearly so heavily considering, for whatever a long time is?
This is really my only problem with the move. If he took a short deal and left for Russia after, I'd have no problem at all. I mean, I'd be bummed to not see a good player anymore, but that's about it.

Quote:
You do if part of the contract says that you can retire and do exactly what kovalchuk just did... Since when has any player ever in history been required tofinish a contract? You either don't get paid or you get traded this isn't something so crazy...
Good point. He's not required to finish his contract, but if he's been thinking about this for a while, why did he make a deal about wanting 100+ million dollars just a few years ago? He had to know that you don't get that for a 3 year deal. Based on the shape of the Devil's lineup right now, it sure doesn't look like they saw this coming. I just think it's a crappy way to treat a team who offered you such an absurd contract. As a Ranger fan, I find their misfortune kind of hilarious but it's not hard to imagine how I'd feel if Nash, for example, did this.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I would love to have seen what people here would be saying about him if he received the vast majority of the money up front and then skipped off to russia. And bankrupted the team.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I would love to have seen what people here would be saying about him if he received the vast majority of the money up front and then skipped off to russia. And bankrupted the team.
I'd be cheering him.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:21 PM
darko

Why can he come back when he's 35? He shouldn't be allowed to come back until he's 42 unless Devils approve.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
The number people ignoring that bolded bit has been astounding. good for you realizing this.

Like I said many times this has AAAALWAYS been an early retirement contract. Now that the lockout dust settled it's painfully obvious that this was a supremely advantageous time for him to retire for the NJD and for him. Yet people act as if he's this monster which is what I have been debating against. Pacific Rim: giants robots vs Kaiju and Kovalchuk
I can see the point you guys are making but some of the moves Lou made with Parise, postponing their draft penalty til the following year, letting Clarkson go, ridiculous contract to Clowe. It just doesn't seem to add up.

If they really thought he wasn't going to stick around I don't think they would have made these moves.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:33 PM
KRM

And now they're saying he wanted out from the Devils but is looking to return to the NHL once his KHL deal is over. Hilarious.

KRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Green Blob*

Did he officially sign yet in the KHL?

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
This just becomes more delicious with each passing day.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
And now they're saying he wanted out from the Devils but is looking to return to the NHL once his KHL deal is over. Hilarious.
Who is "they"?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Havent seen this anywhere.

...and even if it were true, all 30 teams need to approve his return to the NHL - that obviously includes the Devils.

Translation: he wont be back

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Havent seen this anywhere.

...and even if it were true, all 30 teams need to approve his return to the NHL - that obviously includes the Devils.

Translation: he wont be back
I'm sure this link is in here already:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devil...cCgk0mWUHajWFK
Quote:
He would not be able to return to the NHL without unanimous consent of the league’s member clubs before 2018-19 unless he were to sit out for at least one calendar year. If Kovalchuk were to sit that long within the next four years, he would then need the Devils’ permission to rejoin the NHL.
it sure sounds to me like he can return in 2018-2019 as a UFA without consent (aka 35 years of age).

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
This just becomes more delicious with each passing day.
Think I'm gonna make this thread my homepage.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:16 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

4 years for Kovalchuk from SKA. On my phone and difficult to paste from twitter, but it has been confirmed. Sets him up for that 35 year old return. It will happen.

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
I'm sure this link is in here already:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devil...cCgk0mWUHajWFK

it sure sounds to me like he can return in 2018-2019 as a UFA without consent (aka 35 years of age).
If true, that is sad and absurd.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:36 AM
darko

Rubbish. He shouldn't be allowed back until he's 42 which was when his NHL contract was supposed to run out. Unless Devils approved his return.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Rubbish. He shouldn't be allowed back until he's 42 which was when his NHL contract was supposed to run out. Unless Devils approved his return.
Which they will.

The Devils chose not to toll (or freeze) his NHL contract. All signs point to them being complicit. Using it as a financial get-out-of-jail-free card.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Why can he come back when he's 35? He shouldn't be allowed to come back until he's 42 unless Devils approve.
The Devils already approved by agreeing with his retirement.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote