HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

St. John's Maple Leafs Game 41: Preview and Review: Fri. Jan. 9th, 2004

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2004, 05:44 AM
sjmapleleafsfan

vCash: 500
St. John's Maple Leafs Game 41: Preview and Review: Fri. Jan. 9th, 2004

It is Friday, January 9th, 2004.

The St. John's Maple Leafs will play host to the Toronto Roadrunners this weekend at Mile One Stadium. The Leafs will be looking to continue their strong play against the Roadrunners this season but they will have to do it without goaltender Mikael Tellqvist, defencemen Pierre Hedin and forwards Kyle Wellwood and Brad Leeb who have been recalled to Toronto in the last couple of days. As well the Maple Leafs will more than likely be without the services of veteran Jeff Daw, rookie rearguard Carlo Colaiacovo and goaltender Sebastien Centomo who have all sustained injuries that might keep them out of the lineup tonight against the Roadrunners. The Maple Leafs have recalled goaltender Jamie Hodson from Greensboro, defencemen David Turon and goaltender Mike Minard from Memphis, all three may see action this weekend. The Roadrunners come to town with the same team that the Leafs played three times this season, all Maple Leafs victories. Game Time is 7:35 pm Newfoundland Time (6:05 pm Eastern). Tonight's game is also being broadcast on Rogers Cable 9.

The Roadrunners have been near the bottom of the North Division for most of the season but a few wins here and there are they will be right back in the thick of things, which is a reflection of just how close it is in the North Division right now. The Roadrunners have played 37 games this season and have an Overall Record of 12-18-5-2. The Roadrunners have played 16 games at home and have a record of 6-7-3-0. The Roadrunners have played 21 games on the road and have a record of 6-11-2-2. The Roadrunners have struggled as of late going 3-5-2-0 in their Last-10 but they are coming off of a 5-4 win over Chicago on Sun. Jan, 4th. The Roadrunners have scored 94 goals this season and given up 110 (-16). The Roadrunners are 23-for-154 on the powerplay (14.94%) and they have given up 28 PPGA on 172 TSH (83.72%). The Roadrunners are currently in 7th place in the North Division with 31 points.

Roadrunners Leading Scorers:
Jamie Wright 11-15-26
Jani Rita 8-14-22
Chad Hinz 5-13-18
Mike Bishai 9-8-17
Doug Lynch 5-12-17

Roadrunners Goaltending Statistics:
Stephen Valiquette 7-10-3 with a 2.79 GAA and a .902 SPCT
Michael Morrison 4-5-1 with a 2.52 GAA and a .908 SPCT
Chris Madden 1-5-1 with a 3.41 GAA and a .807 SPCT

Roadrunners PIM Leader:
Rocky Thompson 113 PIM in 33 games.

The Maple Leafs have been in the middle of the pack for most of this season in the North Division and they will look to move up the standings with a pair of wins this weekend against the Roadrunners. The Leafs are 3-0 this season against the Roadrunners and need these two games as well. The Maple Leafs enter tonight's game having played 40 games this season and they have an Overall Record of 18-18-3-1. The Leafs are over .500 at home with a 8-7-3-0 record but they are under .500 on the road with a 10-11-0-1 record. The Leafs have been up and down as of late and are 4-5-1-0 in their Last-10. The Leaf are coming off of a series against the Manitoba Moose in which they won and tied. The Leafs have scored 111 goals this season but have given up a whopping 124 (-13). The Leafs are 32-for-215 on the powerplay (14.88%) and the Leafs have given up 40 PPGA on 198 TSH (79.80%). The Leafs are currently in 3rd place in the North Division with 40 points.

Leafs Leading Scorers:
Kyle Wellwood 7-23-30 (On recall to Toronto)
Aaron Gavey 10-19-29 (On fire as of late)
Brad Leeb 15-12-27 (On recall to Toronto)
Harold Druken 11-12-23 (In a slump)
Jeff Daw 6-17-23 (Injury)

Leafs Goaltending Statistics:
Sebastien Centomo 8-9-2 with a 2.67 GAA and a .918 SPCT
Jamie Hodson 3-5-1 with a 4.48 GAA and a .869 SPCT
Recalled from Greensboro because Tellqvist is in Toronto
Mike Minard 0-0-0 with a 0.00 GAA and a .000 SPCT
Recalled because it seems that Centomo has an injury

Leafs PIM Leader:
Kris Newbury 90 PIM in 38 games.

Note:
Things could change before tonight's game....Stay Tuned.

sjmapleleafsfan

Old
01-09-2004, 06:24 AM
BlueBlood17

What kind of injury did Carlo pick up?

Anything serious?

Old
01-09-2004, 05:35 PM
sjmapleleafsfan

Mini...Mini...Mini...Mini In...Leafs Win

Toronto Roadrunners 3
St. John's Maple Leafs 4

Mini In...Leafs Win...Gavey Nets 11th...Barrett Nets Game Winner

Welcome Back Mike Minard. The St. John's Maple Leafs defeated the Toronto Roadrunners 4-3 Friday night at Mile One Stadium. With the win the Leafs improve to 19-18-3-1 overall, 9-7-3-0 at Mile One and 4-0-0-0 against the Roadrunners this season. Both teams traded chances in the first, the Leafs took a 2-1 lead into the 2nd Intermission and then the Roadrunners scored two early goals in the third to tie the game at three and then the Leafs won it late on a goal by Barrett. The Maple Leafs will look for the sweep tomorrow night.

No scoring in the opening 20 minutes of play Friday night at Mile One Stadium. Both teams traded chances but it was the goaltenders that were the stars of the period. Mike Minard getting his first start of the season for the Blue and White kicked aside 12 of the shots that he faced and the Roadrunners Stephen Valiquette stopped all 7 shots that he faced. The main event of ther first period was between the Roadrunners Brent Henley and the Maple Leafs Greg Lakovic, job well done by both.

The second period has given the Leafs trouble over the course of the season but that was not the case Friday night. The Leafs got the fans out of their seats with a goal off the stick of Chris Chartier, his 2nd of the season, with the assists to Harold Druken and Nathan Barrett at the 5:59 mark. It was a nice play by Barrett to jump down and receive the pass and then he went upstairs on Valiquette. Less than a minute later the Maple Leafs got the fans going again with another goal this time off the stick of Robb Palahnuk, his 5th of the season, with the assists to Kris Newbury and Greg Lakovic at the 6:37 mark. It was a nice goal all around with Lakovic's play coming in over the line, Newbury's heads up play and Palahnuk going to the net with his stick on the ice. Leafs led 2-nothing. The Roadrunners finally beat Mike Minard, but it took a 5-on-3 PP to get it done. The Roadrunners cut the lead to 2-1 with a goal off the stick of Doug Lynch, his 6th of the season, with the lone assist to Mikko Luoma at the 12:58 mark. The Maple Leafs scored a powerplay goal of their own to make it a two-goal lead once again on a goal off the stick of Captian Aaron Gavey, his 11th of the season and his 6th in his last five games, with the assists to Chris Chartier and Josh Holden at the 19:20 mark. The captain is on fire and is leading the Leafs right now. The main event of the second period was a fight between the Roadrunners Dave Roche and the Leafs Marc Moro. Shots in the second period were 13-9 in favor of the Roadrunners, 25-16 in favor of the Roadrunners after 40 minutes.

The Leafs were in good shape entering the third period but as everyone knows a two-goal lead is the worst in hockey. It was the case Friday night. The Roadrunners made it 3-2 with a goal off the stick of Jamie Wright, his 12th of the season, with the lone assist to Brent Henley just 56 seconds into the frame. The Roadrunners kept coming and tied the game at three with a goal off the stick of Joe Cullen, his 4th of the season, with the lone assist to Jamie Wright at the 5:17 mark. The game was tied 3-3 and for the second game in a row the Leafs let a two-goal lead disappear. The game seemed to be headed for overtime but then the Leafs got a lucky bounce and I would be lying if I said I saw it, I never. The goal was credited to Nathan Barrett, his 5th of the season, with the lone assist to Josh Holden at the 17:15 mark. The Roadrunners would pull goaltender Valiquette for the extra attacker with 58 seconds left in the third period but to no avail. Two great defensive face-off wins for Aaron Gavey at the end of the game. Shots in the third period were 10-9 Leafs, 34-26 in favor of the Roadrunners.

3 Stars:
1 Nathan Barrett 1G, 1A
2 Mike Minard 31 saves
3 Jamie Wright 1G, 1A

Maple Leafs Grub Club Hardest Working Player: Chris Chartier

Notes:
Leafs improve to 19-18-3-1 Overall.
Leafs improve to 9-7-3-0 at Mile One.
Mike Minard 1-0-0, 31 saves.
Roadrunners went 1-for-7 on the PP.
Maple Leafs went 1-for-5 on the PP.

Leafs Scratches: Daw (I), Colaiacovo (I), Centomo (I), Wellwood, Leeb, Wilm (TOR), Hedin (TOR) and Tellqvist (TOR).

Cereda, Chartier, Minard and Holden played solid games for the Maple Leafs.

Next Action: Saturday, January 10th, 2004 against the Toronto Roadrunners at Mile One Stadium

It will be the Leafs 1000th game in St. John's.

sjmapleleafsfan

Old
01-09-2004, 06:33 PM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
I personally would have more faith in Mike Minard than Jamie Hodson

Old
01-09-2004, 06:56 PM
BlueBlood17

Geez......all that and I still didn't get my qeustion answered.

Anyway, thanks for the report.

Old
01-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Doug Evinou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood17

carlo hurt his hand in the last game against manitoba... he's day to day.

Old
01-10-2004, 07:26 AM
sjmapleleafsfan

Colaiacovo

Quote:
What kind of injury did Carlo pick up?

Anything serious?
BlueBlood17,
Carlo Colaiacovo has a hand injury.

sjmapleleafsfan

Old
01-10-2004, 07:28 AM
sjmapleleafsfan

Colaiacovo

Quote:

BlueBlood17,
Sorry I did not answer your question sooner, but I was pressed for time and did not have time to response to your question. I almost never had enough time to post the game review.

Hopefully you liked the report.

sjmapleleafsfan

Old
01-10-2004, 07:30 AM
sjmapleleafsfan

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Evinou
carlo hurt his hand in the last game against manitoba... he's day to day.
Doug Evinou,
Thanks for answering the question on Colaiacovo.

sjmapleleafsfan

Closed Thread