Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Old
07-07-2013, 06:41 PM
GordonHowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston77 View Post
Looks like injuries ended his career:

On March 4, 2009, he was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers for a 2009 sixth-round draft pick, but that deal was later nixed as the Flyers reported that McLaren failed his physical.[2]
McLaren received an invitation to attend training camp with the New York Rangers for the 2009-10 season, but did not make the team after failing a physical.
McLaren received another training camp invite by the Atlanta Thrashers for the 2010-11 NHL season on August 24, 2010 but was released on September 22, 2010.
Thanks. I was being lazy; could have clicked to Wiki. Given my antipathy toward the Sinden/OC regime, it was amusing when Kyle absolutely refused to speak to the media, or the organization, as to why he wanted out.

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:06 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico4ever View Post
Someone asked about Rob Flick above, and although I don't know his game very well, he has yet to win a fight at the AHL level and loses in pathetic and embarrassing fashion, so he won't cut it in any way.

I think a guy like Tanner Glass would be great to take over for Thorton, but not while he's here. I think they expect ST to do the deed which is why they paid him so much for a five minute guy. I don't think he's really worried and knows its his job.

I like Faser for the fourth because he can play and fight and think Paille's game has developed enough for a bump. If they can get Lane MacDermid back that would be great. I wish they never traded for Jagr. Those two guys might just be plugs but they were perfect for what we're talking about, and then there was the first. Also, Jagr sucked.
That was me, thanks for the answer. So much for that option apparently.

Personally never been a Glass fan and will forever remember his flubbed open net in the finals while a Canuck. Agreed with your read on Thornton though.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:18 PM
AgainstTheGrain8

Gotta love those Habs...
Media and fans in Montreal crying for years that fighting has got to go, goons have no place in this league anymore, yadi yadi yada...

...and here they go signing George Parros and his average of 1.8 goal per NHL year. Oh well, that worked out fine for them with Laraque.

At least they're looking into their whole "team toughness" issue. Brière is a good step towards fixing that too.

This year was a fluke, they'll be back at their usual 7-8-9-10 spot next year again.

AgainstTheGrain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
In another thread Dom quickly alluded to I believe it was "concerns" the B's FO have about him. Would be interested to hear more. I imagine at least part of it has to be in regards to his recklessness in the playoffs this year.
I don't know if Tony is the right guy or not. It's just if you say Tony around my house around Christmas time or Thanksgiving, 17 dudes turn around. All good lookin, all tough as nails, all of em would crawl across 93 on their belly during rush hour for a friend. Just a trait dudes named Tony have. The rest we call Anthony.

Anyway, I get what Colt is saying. I couldn't have more respect for Thornton. And, like Ference, he's one of the character guys who turned it around for us in more ways than meet the eye. I don't want to see him go out the hard way, or harder than he has to. But if you asked Thorty? I bet he wouldn't have it any other way. You have to have that mentality to do their job.

I wish fighters had to be able to play, too. Why we have Thorts and not some 6'8" mummy on skates. But, seeing how other teams do have these guys, I don't think it's a bad idea to have one of our own down in Providence should the need arise. Whether Thorts knows what's good for him or not. He's been concussed at least once. Orr's another guy I admire who missed a year for concussions. You don't ever want to see it beat out of a guy. They deserve a better fate. But when they can't square away the guy on the opposing bench, they're gone. Sad and unfair as it is, that's not going to change.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:52 PM
WreckItRask

I'm sure Ken Holland is staying awake at night thinking about who is going fight John Scott next year now that they're in the division. The Wings are totally screwed if he can't find some knuckledragger from Flin Flon to trades bombs with George Parros in game 68 of the regular season.

While I get it, I think Thornton can handle himself if he needs to.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Wings have Tootoo but hes not gonna fight Scott. REALLY think this team needs to look for a Thornton replacement sooner or later.

Camara is too small to fight bigs just drafted Mitchell Dempsey but he's years away.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Fat Jughead

He'd sure make guys like Gallagher and Prust more effective at their jobs if he can actually play a regular shift. I haven't seen em much, but I kinda doubt it.

At the end of the day, he'll probably be just another dancing bear that the rest of our team skates around and Sugar drags off to the box once a game so he can go back to playing his regular shift while Parros is relegated to door *****/face off charter. Maybe he can sell those big kick ass Montreal hot dogs too; I'm not sure what training he's had...

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Fat Jughead

Double

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain8 View Post
Gotta love those Habs...
Media and fans in Montreal crying for years that fighting has got to go, goons have no place in this league anymore, yadi yadi yada...

...and here they go signing George Parros and his average of 1.8 goal per NHL year. Oh well, that worked out fine for them with Laraque.

At least they're looking into their whole "team toughness" issue. Brière is a good step towards fixing that too.

This year was a fluke, they'll be back at their usual 7-8-9-10 spot next year again.
I don't know where you hang out in Montreal, but the majority of Habs fans in general are big on fighting , pro-goons. They have been wanting one in Montreal for years. Bell center cheers hard everytime a fight happen.

As for the media comment, this is ulter BS. Rds, the main hockey channel in Montreal often show fighting highlight and you rarely see anti-fighting opinion in the media.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:51 PM
double5son10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain8 View Post
Gotta love those Habs...

Yeah, those Montreal fans really hated Chris Nilan

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:25 AM
GoBs

When Thorton calls it a career I hope the Bruins keep him around to show these younger guys how to play tough but more importantly how to play the game.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Rumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
I'm sure Ken Holland is staying awake at night thinking about who is going fight John Scott next year now that they're in the division. The Wings are totally screwed if he can't find some knuckledragger from Flin Flon to trades bombs with George Parros in game 68 of the regular season.

Absolutely love the Flin Flon reference and ever more when it was by an American poster haha well done!

Rumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:01 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

"Knuckledragger from Flin Flon"....freakin classic and dead on

Can`t believe there`s still a discussion here about this kind of player. When was the last time a Parros scrap/play led to a swing in play for any team he`s been on?? The league has methodically been moving away from the outright goon for a few years now and I suspect it continues.

The business model in a Cap era seems to force teams to actually employ and play those who can actually take/give a pass and less of the knuckledraggin style of player.

If Randy Carlyle wasn`t behind the Leaf bench, I`m not so sure a Colton Orr would be playing, McLaren is barely stronger, and Parros???? I`m sure the guy is only employed because the marketing department for any team he`s on has a go to photo op with that stache

The Bruins don`t need a heavy to replace Thortnon, this league is moving the other way IMO, and really, just how many heavy weights are out there that can play???

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:04 AM
badbrewin

[QUOTE=Driven;69185201]I don't know where you hang out in Montreal, but the majority of Habs fans in general are big on fighting , pro-goons. They have been wanting one in Montreal for years. Bell center cheers hard everytime a fight happen.

As for the media comment, this is ulter BS. Rds, the main hockey channel in Montreal often show fighting highlig

Why don't you just GTFO and go back to your own board. As a Montrealer myself, I went over to your board earlier this week to read some of the posts on the "out of town thread" and some of the comments made on the Bergeron signing were done with such utter stupidity and irrationality that I came within milliseconds of posting something that would have gotten me booted for a month.

There are a few rational and intelligent fans on there (ie: whitesnake), but your board is also full of hypocrites who continuously refers to the Bs as goons, just because we play the game the way it's supposed to be played. Any comment on the fact that we weren't the aggressors in any of the 4 series we played in this past playoff and likely got outhit in every series? Kaleidoscope vision anyone?

BTW, enjoy your washed up thug...loved Laraque's comments this weeks saying Parros isn't nearly as good as he used to be and will be used as a punching bag by opponents.

Last edited by badbrewin: 07-14-2013 at 09:33 AM.
badbrewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:05 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancourt Fist Pump View Post
He'd sure make guys like Gallagher and Prust more effective at their jobs if he can actually play a regular shift. I haven't seen em much, but I kinda doubt it.

At the end of the day, he'll probably be just another dancing bear that the rest of our team skates around and Sugar drags off to the box once a game so he can go back to playing his regular shift while Parros is relegated to door *****/face off charter. Maybe he can sell those big kick ass Montreal hot dogs too; I'm not sure what training he's had...
would not be surprised in next April we look over the 82 game stat sheets of Boston and Montreal and see Thornton and Parros not close to a full schedule. Thornton's played late this year and is getting up there- Boston has a bunch of younger players and can see him sharing time and being spotted more. I'm no Parros expert be he always seemed like a very honest player and not a jerk and will play the game as best he can and if someone wants to go he will, but we are not talking John Kordic here.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:07 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
would not be surprised in next April we look over the 82 game stat sheets of Boston and Montreal and see Thornton and Parros not close to a full schedule. Thornton's played late this year and is getting up there- Boston has a bunch of younger players and can see him sharing time and being spotted more. I'm no Parros expert be he always seemed like a very honest player and not a jerk and will play the game as best he can and if someone wants to go he will, but we are not talking John Kordic here.
I`d say that`s a fair assessment of Parros, far from a guy who jumps on the ice and right into a scrap. Seems like a nice guy but his game is......um......weak

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

[QUOTE=badbrewin;69193093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
I don't know where you hang out in Montreal, but the majority of Habs fans in general are big on fighting , pro-goons. They have been wanting one in Montreal for years. Bell center cheers hard everytime a fight happen.

As for the media comment, this is ulter BS. Rds, the main hockey channel in Montreal often show fighting highlig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post

Why don't you just GTFO and go back to your own board. As a Montrealer myself, I went over to your board earlier this week to read some of the posts on the "out of town thread" and some of the comments made on the Bergeron signing were done with such utter stupidity and irrationality that I came within milliseconds of posting something that would have gotten me booted for a month.

There are a few rational and intelligent fans on there (ie: whitesnake), but your board is also full of hypocrites who continuously refers to the Bs as goons, just because we play the game the way it's supposed to be played. Any comment on the fact that we weren't the aggressors in any of the 4 series we played in this past playoff and likely got outhit in ever series? Kaleidoscope vision anyone?

BTW, enjoy your washed up thug...loved Laraque's comments this weeks saying Parros isn't nearly as good as he used to be and will be used as a punching bag by opponents.
You're the man! I'm all jacked up now

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:57 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8

How do you guys even sleep at night? No cups for two decades? Get beat up annually it seems, by different teams...Pathetic

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Great stuff ^. Kind of makes you understand why they got Parros, but the problem is, he's a band-aid solution, as Laraque was. It's a systemic problem with the Canadiens, and it requires a systemic solution, which takes a long time to implement. Perhaps they're in the process, maybe all their prospects have hearts of lions, I don't know.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Colt.45Orr

This is the fight (concussion) that put Orr out of hockey for over a year --not from the punch but from landing face-first on the ice with all of Parros coming down on his back:

btw --Cowen is one tough, tough hombre. Take it from someone that watched him in the Dub --he could have fought a LOT more but was too valuable to his team to do so.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Colt.45Orr

Buffalo:
Scott
Ott
Foligno

Toronto
MacLaren
Fraser

Ottawa:
Kassian
Gryba

Montreal:
Parros
Prust
Morrow
Tinordi

Obviously I left out a ton of guys like Orr, Neil, Kaleta etc --just thought I would point out all the new tough guys (that can fight) that have been added by our divisional rivals in the last 2 years.

Meanwhile, we have not added anyone --Thornton and Chara have gotten older-- and have only skidded McDermid (who handled Fraser a lot better than Thornton or McQuaid did). Again, we are tough enough to handle these guys, but only if Chara and Lucic get in the middle of the action, which I do not want.

It is pretty impressive actually.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:08 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post

Can`t believe there`s still a discussion here about this kind of player. When was the last time a Parros scrap/play led to a swing in play for any team he`s been on?? The league has methodically been moving away from the outright goon for a few years now and I suspect it continues.

The business model in a Cap era seems to force teams to actually employ and play those who can actually take/give a pass and less of the knuckledraggin style of player.

If Randy Carlyle wasn`t behind the Leaf bench, I`m not so sure a Colton Orr would be playing, McLaren is barely stronger, and Parros???? I`m sure the guy is only employed because the marketing department for any team he`s on has a go to photo op with that stache

The Bruins don`t need a heavy to replace Thortnon, this league is moving the other way IMO, and really, just how many heavy weights are out there that can play???
People have been saying that for years now..... sure doesn't seem like its happening though does it?

bb_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post

The point of an enforcer 4th liner is to go out, in limited minutes, and make some hits... and then guys like you want to call them out for not producing big points (again, in very limited minutes). The way the Leafs played this year (think cocky, chippy Kadri) tells me and anyone else (who is objective) that their 4th line worked. Orr is such a useless knuck-dragger, right? Yet, somehow, he played big minutes for the Leafs in the playoffs and set the recipe for wearing down Chara.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:26 PM
WBC8

Quote:

Detroit's last two drafts have yielded...

Old
07-14-2013, 12:29 PM
WBC8

So when a few people said last summer "We really need to get someone for the Scott's of the world to spare a 35 year old Thornton" we were wrong? How exactly did that work out? Ready to feed a 36 year old Shawny Dangles to the goons of the division again? IMO #22 deserves better...