HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
That was the worst experience that I've ever had at an Edmonton Eskimos game. Between the weather, the lousy product on the field and the outright apathy I'm feeling from the fanbase... we're at an all time low. And we've seen a lot of lows since 2005.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:08 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
One of the things I detailed exhaustively last year is how inexperienced, and how ordinary, our receiver pac was. None of these guys other than Stamps has been stellar anywhere. None of them have appreciable yds anywhere else. None of them have appreciable TD catches anywhere else. This is just a piss poor Reciever pac.

How does a QB toss 250-300yds when he's got a bunch of targets that just don't get open, just don't produce catches, yards, move yardsticks. This is a dead offense for a reason.

People keep saying one of these guys is going to jump up and be impressive. Who? Koch and Stamps thats it. I'd cut the rest and start over with some imports. Coohoern is beyond useless. One on one in the flat all day, all year, all last year, and can't break a tackle to save his life. I don't know Coohoern has a dozen first downs in his career here.

How do you create, maintain any offense with all these duds as targets?
I dont think its that simple.

Charles ran the ball a grand total of 10 times today. He ran the ball a grand total of 11 times last week.

The obvious question is why?

As an aside....you will never get me to agree that the offensive debacle last year had more to do with the receivers than Jyles. Best you stick with this season.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:16 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Alright guys, let's get to the positives.

JC Sherritt.

That is all.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I dont think its that simple.

Charles ran the ball a grand total of 10 times today. He ran the ball a grand total of 11 times last week.

The obvious question is why?

As an aside....you will never get me to agree that the offensive debacle last year had more to do with the receivers than Jyles. Best you stick with this season.
You should look at what I've been telling you to look at for the last 13mths. Other than Stamps who do we have? We went into last season with Koch with a career high of 299yds in a season. Henry with a career high of 384yds in a season, Coohoern with a career high of 100 yds in a season. Carter with a career high of 230yds in a season, Chambers a raw rookie.

Think about that a moment. It is what it is. Its Fred Stamps and the scrubs in 2012. Did you know that Koch, our second best receiver had 700 yds in 3 seasons of college football and only 3TD's.

These guys are virgins sacrificed at the alter every week. To say these guys are easy to cover is understatement. This is the most brutal group of Recievers I've ever seen on a pro club. Anytime Stamps isn't in the lineup its an automatic guaranteed debacle and everybody should just stay home. You know I'm right with that statement and events bare me out. Fred stamps and the pretenders.

ps, half these scrubs actually managed to have career years last season. So they actually overperformed last year. lol Our QB's desperately tried to make some lemonade out of this sorry bunch.

You won't find many completions, much passing yds, many first downs, with a reciver core this abysmally weak. I'm amazed anybody thinks this is enough. People should be disgusted that this is our group of starting receivers.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-14-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old
07-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
Alright guys, let's get to the positives.

JC Sherritt.

That is all.
Munoz (10) and Sherritt (9) had 19 of the Eskimos 43 tackles. Ridiculous.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:20 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
5 mins left in the game, and the play that personifies this useless offense.

Reilly scrambling for his life at his 1 yd line, heroically does it all on his own and scrambles to the 20 gaining an apparent first down. He had to run it as no recievers were within 40 yds of him. But get this, play called back on the basis of Marcus Henry going offside.

ffs!!!

Plays like that make you wonder if we even have receivers.

I hope people are realizing what I been putting down for years is this receiver pac is pathetic.

On the telecast they were just reaming out the Esks receivers for chronically not coming back to the ball. Not even looking back. Just ****ing pathetic.

Marcus Henry just had the worst game I've seen from any Esks receiver since Ed Gant. This guy wasn't even trying to work open in this game. Beyond useless. In the telecast they nailed him for being invisible. Did absolutely nothing.

I said it last year, and I'll say it again no QB is going to accomplish much with this group of receivers.
He actually looked really good tonight.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
He actually looked really good tonight.
You might want to explain that one. He had one catch for 7yds. This is your definition of really good? Are you getting names and numbers mixed up or something?

He was lit up in the telecast and they appropriately stated he did nothing all game, and wasn't noticed all game, that he did nothing filling in for Fred Stamps. But I'm not sure why the Esks would even be expecting this 27 year old pro bench warmer to accomplish anything.
He has 700 career yds, all here, and no other pro team anywhere has even given him a start. This is the kind of deadwood thats deemed good enough for esks fans.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:28 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
You might want to explain that one. He had one catch for 7yds. This is your definition of really good? Are you getting names and numbers mixed up or something?

He was lit up in the telecast and they appropriately stated he did nothing all game, and wasn't noticed all game, that he did nothing filling in for Fred Stamps. But I'm not sure why the Esks would even be expecting this 27 year old pro bench warmer to accomplish anything.
He has 700 career yds, all here, and no other pro team anywhere has even given him a start. This is the kind of deadwood thats deemed good enough for esks fans.
Sorry, I meant Gant. For Hamilton. No one looked good for the Esks tonight.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Sorry, I meant Gant. For Hamilton. No one looked good for the Esks tonight.
lol, thanks for the clarification. Agreed.

Old
07-14-2013, 01:06 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
That was the worst experience that I've ever had at an Edmonton Eskimos game. Between the weather, the lousy product on the field and the outright apathy I'm feeling from the fanbase... we're at an all time low. And we've seen a lot of lows since 2005.
this
apathy has never been higher

no QB
no receivers
no o-line
dumb players
can't win at home

3 points at home? wow

wake me up when they finish 5-13

Old
07-14-2013, 01:14 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
It was really bad. We had a BC fan sitting beside us who ended up getting hypothermia and was just completely wasted and he was just ripping the fan base left and right. Also, the fact that once the game was getting close to over, I felt like I just exited the worlds largest bar and every person leaving it was just wasted. Terrible, terrible game and atmosphere.

Not to mention the fact they didn't even announce the 50/50 ticket until the 3:00 mark in the 4th quarter. Guess it's their way to keep the fans in the stadium. We need to get rid of every person associated with the Eskimos and start from scratch. This is just pathetic...

Edit- And we need to get rid of the "We will award you for failure" crap. Ma-choke-a from Coach to GM, and now Kavis to an extension....REALLY?!?!?!

Old
07-14-2013, 06:55 AM
AJGass4

What did Kavis do to earn an extension. We were brutlal last year, we started worse this year and we completely suck.

I've never been so embarrassed. We couldn't even get a god dam first down. And to say that it was awful weather is a cop out for anyone other than the fans.

BC played in the same weather and for the first time, I watched a team with no heart minus JC. How pathetic. We had some brutal calls against us but overall it was a despicable game and it's been two of three so I think there is no need to argue it's just one game.

Hervey did nothing to improve this team and when I see other guys play for other teams who use to be Eskimos, our management better look at why they are doing well elsewhere.

Last edited by AJGass4: 07-14-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old
07-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So was trading Wojt worth it? I mean, I don't think anyone can argue we're better off without him than with him. Especially considering our struggles on the O-line..

07-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So was trading Wojt worth it? I mean, I don't think anyone can argue we're better off without him than with him. Especially considering our struggles on the O-line..
Our struggles on the Oline are not due to personnel. This should be clear. Our struggles have more to do with playbook, execution, motion in backfield, and not having any weapons other than Charles and Stamps. D's have absolutely nothing to worry about with this offense, can play several guys one on one, and just bring heat on every play. We do little in terms of strategy to keep the blitz at bay. We basically tell teams to blitz us by offering nothing to counter it.

There was talk pregame that Koch was going to have a huge game. That all week Reed felt he'd rise to the occasion and make a difference. This is nonsense. I like the fight in Koch but this is a guy that has trouble getting open and doesn't run patterns particularly well, doesn't create separation particularly well, and can't be an open target on enough balls.

The real trouble is a lack of options out there.

As I stated earlier we need vast improvement in Receivers. Any night Stamps is out of the lineup we have no passing game period. That the top receiver last night got 28yds should be indication.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Tyrolean

Does anyone have any solutions other than stating the obvious?

Old
07-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Does anyone have any solutions other than stating the obvious?
As stated run motion in the backfield, run plays with options, run quick hitting plays and more routes that offer quick targets. Avoid having 40 yds separation from QB and receivers (seems obvious), run the ball more. Run stunts more.

People should cue up the Hamilton game and this game. The Esks actual ran several options and wrinkles in that game and gave the D multiple things to have to cover on the same down. This was never the case last night in any play.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Six in O6

I missed the game due to a wedding but Charles only had one touch in the second half. Not surprised by the result knowing that stat. What is wrong with this team's game planning? They must be very, very dense... especially considering the conditions last night. Lulay was the leading rusher of the ****ing game.

Old
07-14-2013, 01:47 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
I missed the game due to a wedding but Charles only had one touch in the second half. Not surprised by the result knowing that stat. What is wrong with this team's game planning? They must be very, very dense... especially considering the conditions last night. Lulay was the leading rusher of the ****ing game.
The lack of diversity on offence is clearly the biggest issue with this team. The quality of the RB and the receivers are irrelevant if they are not utilized properly. Charles should be getting a minimum of 15-20 touches per game. It sets up play action, forces the Defence to respect the run game which gives Reilly more time to find an open receiver.
Reilly was hurried on almost every play.
That really limits the success of an offence.

Old
07-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
So... Kavis Reed had a nervous breakdown in his post game presser?

He seems rather... unstable.

Old
07-14-2013, 01:59 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
So... Kavis Reed had a nervous breakdown in his post game presser?

He seems rather... unstable.
Any audio or video on this?

Old
07-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Any audio or video on this?
Yep http://esks.com/video/index/id/86335/category/1225

Old
07-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Wow, that was a lot worse than I expected.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
I said it before and I'll say it again.

Hervey is going to get a lot of leeway from certain old guard fans because he's a better human being than Eric Tillman, but being a better human being does not excuse you from being a poor GM. And so far his track record as GM is just as bad as Tillman's, just in different ways.

Oh, and I hate to say it, but Greg Marshall is an absolute disgrace right now. No ability to adjust to the opposition's changes. Kept running plays where our ends got locked up and let Lulay run repeatedly for first down after first down.

Last edited by Cloned: 07-14-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old
07-14-2013, 02:25 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Wow, that was a lot worse than I expected.
How long was he extended for? This team is run so badly that gongshow doesn't even cover it.

It's a shame because the Eskies were the flagship team in the league for a long time and in many ways kept the CFL afloat. Now they are a joke of an organization.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

I go to about 3-4 games each year, and every game I am excited about the team and seriously consider season tickets for the next year. And every game, I see poor coaching, a talent-poor roster, and stupid, stupid decisions by players. And I wonder how anyone supports this crap. Then I remember that every CEO/President this team hires knows NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL. Screw this franchise.

Closed Thread