HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You should watch how many scrums he's in or should I say he isn't in? Ideally he'd play tougher than he does.
you can be the first one to make an nhl scrum website to backup your claims with some stats.. and since when is bodychecking not considered aggression?; which was my focus of conversation.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Jesse Joensuu

vCash: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
He's one of the guys you "really wanted out of free agency this year" and you think he might not crack the team?

As it stands there are 13 fwds on the roster (including Gagner and Lander). He doesn't have to beat out anyone.
I really wanted him because he has size and skill. All i'm saying is he may need one more year to develop, but it's also possible that this is the year he really shows his game.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
you can be the first one to make an nhl scrum website to backup your claims with some stats.. and since when is bodychecking not considered aggression?; which was my focus of conversation.
He hits, and can really hit when he puts his mind to it, but he is not a vefry aggressive person by nature and it shows on the ice and in his interviews when he talks about the team asking him to be more physical. Look at him in his first pro fight and tell me that he's an aggressive person.

Last edited by The Head Crusher: 07-14-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old
07-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLDraftGuru View Post
Oh I've seen his stats. I'm not expecting him to contribute all that much.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
I think it at least counts for something. He plays hard and his hip check is now actually pretty good.
Oh I'd much rather he hit than not, and I am a fan of his and have been going back to his MSU days, I'm just saying that he is not cut from the same cloth as Smid and Ference, he does not have their mean streak IMO.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Jesse Joensuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Oh I've seen his stats. I'm not expecting him to contribute all that much.
If you've seen his stats how can you say he doesn't produce?

Old
07-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
If you've seen his stats how can you say he doesn't produce?
He has 15 points in less than a full season over several years.
He's never been a mainstay.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Oh I'd much rather he hit than not, and I am a fan of his and have been going back to his MSU days, I'm just saying that he is not cut from the same cloth as Smid and Ference, he does not have their mean streak IMO.
Quote:
He hits, and can really hit when he puts his mind to it, but he is not a vefry aggressive person by nature and it shows on the ice and in his interviews when he talks about the team asking him to be more physical. Look at him in his first pro fight and tell me that he's an aggressive person.
scrums take place after the whistle. Its not a part of playing hockey because the play has stopped. When the team asked him to play more physical, he stepped up his game to a top40 bodychecker from a top50 body checker the previous season. He is a leader in blocked shots as well.. He has stepped up his physicality and the stats prove that.

Speaking of fights...the oilers only had one guy with more than 1 fight last year.. Brown, and he barely won half his fights 3 wins 2 draws 2 losses... Petry was not the only one who did not win his fight last season but at least he was one of the only 7 oilers who actually tried to have an NHL fight.

You cant say what type of person someone is when they are in front of a video camera either.. so you cant say what he is like by nature..

all of your factoids thusfar have been based merely on speculation therefore i cannot comment any further. Have a good night.

Last edited by The Head Crusher: 07-14-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old
07-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Jesse Joensuu

Quote:
He has 15 points in less than a full season over several years.
He's never been a mainstay.
He's also been playing 4th line...on the islanders. Anyone who has to suffer with guys like Reasoner and Aucoin aren't going to have a Hart trophy season.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
He's also been playing 4th line...on the islanders. Anyone who has to suffer with guys like Reasoner and Aucoin aren't going to have a Hart trophy season.
So playing with Lander and Smyth or Brown is going to turn him into a dynamo all of the sudden ?

Old
07-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Jesse Joensuu

Quote:
So playing with Lander and Smyth or Brown is going to turn him into a dynamo all of the sudden ?
Playing with a guy like Lander will generate offense and allow him to have a good season. I'm not expecting him to put up more than 40 points, but he will be an impact player.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Playing with a guy like Lander will generate offense and allow him to have a good season. I'm not expecting him to put up more than 40 points, but he will be an impact player.
That's pretty lofty.
If he makes the team and plays a full season of 4th line minutes, I'd be surprised if he puts up 15-20 pts.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
I really wanted him because he has size and skill. All i'm saying is he may need one more year to develop, but it's also possible that this is the year he really shows his game.
I'm not disagreeing that it was a good signing. There could be some reason for optimism.

You're trying to come off as a prospect authority yet you are all over the place with your statements. Good 3rd liner, good 4th liner, possible ahl player. Now 40 pts on the 4th line?

The part of your comment about he's a "big guy who can fight and produce" that I'd challenge is not the produce part. (This year he was ppg in Europe so he might have turned a corner). It's that you are implying that he's a good fighter. Saying he's a big guy that will fight might be closer. In 67 nhl games he's had 1 fight.

Last edited by Usual_Suspect: 07-14-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old
07-14-2013, 12:26 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
scrums take place after the whistle. Its not a part of playing hockey because the play has stopped. When the team asked him to play more physical, he stepped up his game to a top40 bodychecker from a top50 body checker the previous season. He is a leader in blocked shots as well.. He has stepped up his physicality and the stats prove that.

Speaking of fights...the oilers only had one guy with more than 1 fight last year.. Brown, and he barely won half his fights 3 wins 2 draws 2 losses... Petry was not the only one who did not win his fight last season but at least he was one of the only 7 oilers who actually tried to have an NHL fight.

You cant say what type of person someone is when they are in front of a video camera either.. so you cant say what he is like by nature..

all of your factoids thusfar have been based merely on speculation therefore i cannot comment any further. Have a good night.
Do you remember Petry's fight? IIRC, he looked like a frightened child and wouldn't even drop his gloves, even after beginning to get pummeled. His physical play basically ends with throwing a couple of really nice hipchecks. He is nothing like Smid or Ference.

And I like Petry. But he's cut from the same cloth as Paajarvi and Gilbert were, ie: not a confrontational or physical player in the least.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:31 AM
SchultzSquared

If Joensuu is any more than PB fodder that signing is a success... never mind this produce offense ********.

I still maintain the plan was to sign him early to big money and lure him with promises of a "real shot" just so he would be a ringer for OKC... sort of like we did to Alex Giroux... it's playing dirty sure but having him fill in next to AHL rookie Miller and one of the new RWs signed today down there gives us a real second line... and consequently we have a better development environment.

Old
07-14-2013, 01:18 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
If Joensuu is any more than PB fodder that signing is a success... never mind this produce offense ********.

I still maintain the plan was to sign him early to big money and lure him with promises of a "real shot" just so he would be a ringer for OKC... sort of like we did to Alex Giroux... it's playing dirty sure but having him fill in next to AHL rookie Miller and one of the new RWs signed today down there gives us a real second line... and consequently we have a better development environment.
I dunno... there's a pretty big vacuum at the NHL roster level that will have to be filled with something that can hit and be physical in the bottom 6. No doubt Joensuu could end up in OKC but I think 2 of Eager/Hamilton/Joensuu will crack the opening season roster of 23 players.

Old
07-14-2013, 01:21 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I dunno... there's a pretty big vacuum at the NHL roster level that will have to be filled with something that can hit and be physical in the bottom 6. No doubt Joensuu could end up in OKC but I think 2 of Eager/Hamilton/Joensuu will crack the opening season roster of 23 players.
I assure you that it will not be Hamilton. No hope this guy makes the NHL next year, lucky if he makes it to the AHL again.

Old
07-14-2013, 01:30 AM
ruok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
I assure you that it will not be Hamilton. No hope this guy makes the NHL next year, lucky if he makes it to the AHL again.
I think your thinking the wrong Hamilton

Old
07-14-2013, 01:38 AM
Spawn

Quote:
I think the reference is to Ryan Hamilton. 5th in the AHL in goals last year.

Old
07-14-2013, 01:39 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruok View Post
I think your thinking the wrong Hamilton
Yes, I'm talking about the 28 year old, 6'2, 230lb, LW... Ryan Hamilton.

I think many people even forgot he was obtained by MacT. Not exactly a huge profile signing but he could be a decent bet to crack a 4th line spot or at least a PB spot to step up when the inevitable injuries occur.

Old
07-14-2013, 01:58 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Yes, I'm talking about the 28 year old, 6'2, 230lb, LW... Ryan Hamilton.

I think many people even forgot he was obtained by MacT. Not exactly a huge profile signing but he could be a decent bet to crack a 4th line spot or at least a PB spot to step up when the inevitable injuries occur.
Sounds like he could have a decent shot at the 4th line. He doesn't sound like the typical high-scoring AHLer, they're usually smurfs and that's what holds them back from the NHL. 230lbs is far from a smurf, so if he's willing to crash and bang he could definitely get a spot on the 4th line.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:02 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
40 pts??? On the 4th, maybe 3rd line and likely no PP time at all??? Whaaaaaat??? If he manages 15-20 pts Id be happy.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:34 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Cross and Rita for Tarnstrom
Salmelainen for Spacek
Reasoner and 2nd (Lucic ouch) for Samsonov
1st for Roloson

I cant remember if we traded for Murray or gave up an asset for a team to not claim Murray on waivers and then grabbed him.

Pronger and Peca were salary dumps so they dont really count as steals.

Spacek clicked with Pronger on the PP and things snowballed

as i said before...we ended up being an extremely deep team. we almost had an entire other practice team of black aces (healthy scratches following the team)

And then after the run it was like cockroaches when the lights go on everyone bailed.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:37 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
All we needed was Roloson to not get injured and we would have won easily.
I still think we would have won if Mac T didn't rotate the goalies. Should have stuck with the hot hand in JM. Bad move.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:39 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
All this 2006 talk is depressing me because it reinforces to me how far off we are from being true contenders.
Yup, I thought the same thing watching Bruins vs Chi town, thinking our team is so far from playing at this level.

Closed Thread