HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2013, 02:41 AM
thinlizzy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Eh, 2006 came out of nowhere. I remember a guy calling into an Edmonton radio show before the start of that season (I can't remember which one) predicting a Sabres/Oilers final and he was practically laughed off the air by the other pundit they had on. It's pretty hilarious how close he was all things considered.
I see where your coming from but that team gelled at the right time. Plus we were playing barn burner hockey a month before the playoffs so the team was used to playing under pressure. They just continued running with nitrous into the playoffs. Pronger was a monster.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:42 AM
duul

vCash: 50
I had a dream last night that I was the new GM of the Oilers and I traded Eberle for Gaustad, Tootoo, and Sbisa (Not sure how I made that happen). I checked hfboards in my dream and everyone was calling for my head.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:53 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

I had a dream that the Oilers traded Gagner for D and signed Grabo. Woke up, immeadiately checked twitter and was disappointed.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:57 AM
thinlizzy

The think I like about Brown is he knows when to scrap. Win or loss doesn't matter. Stortini was a punching bag here for how many years ? Very few others dropping the mitts on this team last season.

The problem with Penner is a few things. First he got a ring as a rookie. Obtained another with LA. Mac T when coaching was having problems with him and others on the team. This probably led to him stepping down. I wouldn't want Pens on the team starting to contaminate the younger players, especially with a rookie coach. Eakin's has a difficult enough task to deal with the players he has and our missing to move forth with this team. Pass, pass, pass.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:59 AM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
Yup, I thought the same thing watching Bruins vs Chi town, thinking our team is so far from playing at this level.

are you kidding me i have been a hockey fan for 30+ years and i can say this - its probably the first time in history that the game is so watered down. You can look at rosters and see that the players are bigger, stronger, faster, but every lineup has about 6-8 guys who wouldn't have been good to play on teams farm clubs let alone nhl teams in the past. Basically the over pricing of stars coupled with having to pay even more for bottom fringe players means stars on any team are getting 2/3rds of the teams money, with having to fill rosters with fringe nhlers.

Last year (NJ & LA) and this year (Bos & Chi) reconfirmed for me that you need to have a deep team, but not necessarily a very talented team, and I emphasize talent.

I mean take off the homer glasses most of these teams had guys even in there cup wins who were floaters. I mean did you see Toews stats in the playoff games he has played? Chara made multiple blunders in the final 3 games.
When L.A. won or for that matter when Boston won it was goaltending, and stifling defense.

The only team I will say who didn't have an outerworldly performance from a player was chicago in this years win. Boston, and L.A. respectively had Quick and Thomas played Patrick roy (for the former) and Dominek Hasek like (for the latter) performances. These were solid teams, but if these teams matched up to the early Avalanche, of the 90's or even the stars, devils, of those days they would have all been swept.

Do you seriously think Corey Crawford is an NHL goalie who gives a **** he won a cup. 5 you counted glove side shots beat him, remember how Conklin got treated for one blunder (obviously cost the team game).

Really to win a cup you need 2 talented lines, (filled with multiple guys who can win faceoffs), and a bottom of collection guys that won't cost you goals and can wear down the competition. For D you need one or 2 if your lucky guys who can play in all situations (pk, pp, even strength) and once again a collection of guys who can give 10-12 min a night. For goaltending the exception of Quick, Thomas, and Ward. You need timely saves not an all star even a star goaltender. Though honorable mentions to the likes of guys like niemi.

there is a reason why there has been no repeats and why there is always new teams able and ready to win a cup.

When i look at the Oilers if they do it right this could be a building of a dynasty. Not being a homer either, but they are actually assembling a team that will be always seeing an increase salary cap, while having guys under contract, and still able to develop new talent.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:04 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I had a dream last night that I was the new GM of the Oilers and I traded Eberle for Gaustad, Tootoo, and Sbisa (Not sure how I made that happen). I checked hfboards in my dream and everyone was calling for my head.

Eberle had an off year last season. I predict next year he'll return to form and I won't have to see any more trade proposals with his name in them.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:11 AM
thinlizzy

Our team has demonstrated brilliance and ******** the bed the next night because they read their press clippings and the pumping of the organization how great they were. Rome isn't built in a day. I am not saying our team doesn't has potential but we have a long way to go buddy. I say 3-4 years down the road.

The expansion of the NHL has watered down the final product. How many teams are on the verge of going bankrupt but Bettman still is trying to add more teams ?

Players are all for the cash and dash, especially if they are on a cup winning team. LA winning the cup was boring hockey. Any trap team is boring hockey, but if it wins you a cup I guess the end justifies the means. As well, in the league, there seems to be this lack of respect between players. Sportsmanship, honor etc have basically went out the window. Rules for enforcers now have handcuffed the pinheads like Matt Cooke from getting a good beating.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:11 AM
Spawn

Quote:
I still think we would have won if Mac T didn't rotate the goalies. Should have stuck with the hot hand in JM. Bad move.
Hot hand? Jussi sucked all year and I don't think he had played a game for like 4 months.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:17 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Hot hand? Jussi sucked all year and I don't think he had played a game for like 4 months.
He didn't suck in those final round games. Stood on his head. Everyone basically wrote us off with Carolina when Roli went down. Conklin playing the puck behind the net when Smith called him off was one of the reasons we didn't hoist the cup. That and Brindamour's big speech to rally the troops in game 7.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:21 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
scrums take place after the whistle. Its not a part of playing hockey because the play has stopped. When the team asked him to play more physical, he stepped up his game to a top40 bodychecker from a top50 body checker the previous season. He is a leader in blocked shots as well.. He has stepped up his physicality and the stats prove that.

Speaking of fights...the oilers only had one guy with more than 1 fight last year.. Brown, and he barely won half his fights 3 wins 2 draws 2 losses... Petry was not the only one who did not win his fight last season but at least he was one of the only 7 oilers who actually tried to have an NHL fight.

You cant say what type of person someone is when they are in front of a video camera either.. so you cant say what he is like by nature..

all of your factoids thusfar have been based merely on speculation therefore i cannot comment any further. Have a good night.
And you are basing everything on hits. If hits are the best sign of aggression then Clutterbuck is the most aggressive bad ass in all the land. Petry dishes out sometimes hard but clean hits and that's great, I like that part of his game and I'd like to see even more of it. I am a Petry fan, a big one in fact. That said he is not aggressive by nature, no one has ever mistaken him for a guy like Fistric for example. Does this look like an aggressive guy to you?

THIS is aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
Do you remember Petry's fight? IIRC, he looked like a frightened child and wouldn't even drop his gloves, even after beginning to get pummeled. His physical play basically ends with throwing a couple of really nice hipchecks. He is nothing like Smid or Ference.

And I like Petry. But he's cut from the same cloth as Paajarvi and Gilbert were, ie: not a confrontational or physical player in the least.
I agree except he's more physical that either of those guys (Maggie and Tammy) but he's closer to their mentality than Ference that's for damn sure. IMO he'd do well playing alongside a guy like Coburn knowing that someone had his back and could dish out a beat down if there was a scrum in the crease.

07-14-2013, 03:36 AM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Our team has demonstrated brilliance and ******** the bed the next night because they read their press clippings and the pumping of the organization how great they were. Rome isn't built in a day. I am not saying our team doesn't has potential but we have a long way to go buddy. I say 3-4 years down the road.

The expansion of the NHL has watered down the final product. How many teams are on the verge of going bankrupt but Bettman still is trying to add more teams ?

Players are all for the cash and dash, especially if they are on a cup winning team. LA winning the cup was boring hockey. Any trap team is boring hockey, but if it wins you a cup I guess the end justifies the means. As well, in the league, there seems to be this lack of respect between players. Sportsmanship, honor etc have basically went out the window. Rules for enforcers now have handcuffed the pinheads like Matt Cooke from getting a good beating.
I agree with everything you say hear your preaching to the choir.

i think people have this "ideal team" to win with; like the 80's oilers/islanders, or the early 90's penguins/ followed by the avalanche/wings/devils team.

Now its painfully obvious that every team has some sort of flaws. I was just saying if you look at Chicago - Crawford played like ****, in fact i would go as far as if they lose the cup he's not even a starting goalie and could easily follow the descent of Phillies goalie from 2010

Boston had 2 rookie d-man in krug, hamilton, at least they had chara, ference, seidenberg, and others. they had so many passengers on forward in the end it wasn't even funny, same as Chicago where a few stepped up after.

I just feel fan bases over value what other teams and don't value what they have. At this point this team is more of an envy of most teams than you like to think. There is probably about 15 teams (obviously 15th to 30 th place teams) that would rather take this roster then there own. Its not that far off, if this team can't do what CBJ did last year, then you have to question heart and desire over talent, and perseverance.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:36 AM
thinlizzy

So I did some research on statistics for the 3 goalies for Edmonton during 2006.

Dwayne R

Regular Season

Save percentage .909
Goals against 2.75

Playoffs
Save percentage .927
Goals against 2.33

Juicy M

Regular Season

Save percentage .886
Goals against 3.14

Playoffs

Save percentage .905
Goals against 2.17

Ty Conklin

Regular Season

Save percentage .880
Goals against 2.80

Playoffs

Save percentage .667
Goals against 10

Conklins and Juicy 's save percentage during the regular season was pretty close. Conklin had the edge in goals against.

When it came to the playoffs it is a different story. I know Conks only played one game but Juicy's save percentage passed .900. Huge rise from regular season. He clipped down a full goal off his goals against. Anyone saying Juicy didn't do his job in the playoffs when he was thrown into the lions den because Roli was the go to guy up until he got injured is lost period.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:41 AM
B A T M A N*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
I agree with everything you say hear your preaching to the choir.

i think people have this "ideal team" to win with; like the 80's oilers/islanders, or the early 90's penguins/ followed by the avalanche/wings/devils team.

Now its painfully obvious that every team has some sort of flaws. I was just saying if you look at Chicago - Crawford played like ****, in fact i would go as far as if they lose the cup he's not even a starting goalie and could easily follow the descent of Phillies goalie from 2010

Boston had 2 rookie d-man in krug, hamilton, at least they had chara, ference, seidenberg, and others. they had so many passengers on forward in the end it wasn't even funny, same as Chicago where a few stepped up after.

I just feel fan bases over value what other teams and don't value what they have. At this point this team is more of an envy of most teams than you like to think. There is probably about 15 teams (obviously 15th to 30 th place teams) that would rather take this roster then there own. Its not that far off, if this team can't do what CBJ did last year, then you have to question heart and desire over talent, and perseverance.
Exactly, Columbus was all heart last year. For some reason, we don't have that. It's more important than getting a PWF IMO.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:42 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And you are basing everything on hits. If hits are the best sign of aggression then Clutterbuck is the most aggressive bad ass in all the land. Petry dishes out sometimes hard but clean hits and that's great, I like that part of his game and I'd like to see even more of it. I am a Petry fan, a big one in fact. That said he is not aggressive by nature, no one has ever mistaken him for a guy like Fistric for example. Does this look like an aggressive guy to you?

THIS is aggressive.

I agree except he's more physical that either of those guys (Maggie and Tammy) but he's closer to their mentality than Ference that's for damn sure. IMO he'd do well playing alongside a guy like Coburn knowing that someone had his back and could dish out a beat down if there was a scrum in the crease.
Petry stood up that is a good thing but got tossed around.

Old
07-14-2013, 04:38 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Eberle had an off year last season. I predict next year he'll return to form and I won't have to see any more trade proposals with his name in them.
Yup, Ebs is a stud. I hate seeing his name in a ton of proposals.

Old
07-14-2013, 04:41 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
So I did some research on statistics for the 3 goalies for Edmonton during 2006.

Dwayne R

Regular Season

Save percentage .909
Goals against 2.75

Playoffs
Save percentage .927
Goals against 2.33

Juicy M

Regular Season

Save percentage .886
Goals against 3.14

Playoffs

Save percentage .905
Goals against 2.17

Ty Conklin

Regular Season

Save percentage .880
Goals against 2.80

Playoffs

Save percentage .667
Goals against 10

Conklins and Juicy 's save percentage during the regular season was pretty close. Conklin had the edge in goals against.

When it came to the playoffs it is a different story. I know Conks only played one game but Juicy's save percentage passed .900. Huge rise from regular season. He clipped down a full goal off his goals against. Anyone saying Juicy didn't do his job in the playoffs when he was thrown into the lions den because Roli was the go to guy up until he got injured is lost period.
Agreed 100%. Juice did exactly what you want your backup to do, give your team a chance to win. He played great, and I was really proud of him. Didn't he also get a shut out in game four? That's not an easy thing to do in the playoffs, let alone the finals.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:04 AM
Soundwave

There was also Mike Morrison in 2005-06

Jussi played well in the Finals, if I ever see him in any bar in the world or any restaurant, I would insist on paying his drink/dinner tab.

I was proud of that group for bouncing back.

That said, we did kinda gift Carolina two wins right off the bat of the series, which ultimately I think was the difference between us hoisting the Cup.

Game 1 was going so great too. Ugh. I don't want to think about it.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Alright lets just focus on Hockey and keep this on topic. Thanks.

07-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post
Exactly, Columbus was all heart last year. For some reason, we don't have that. It's more important than getting a PWF IMO.
Surely it had nothing to do with a Hasek-esque performance from an outcast Russian goaltender from Philadelphia. That notion is just absurd right? Yup, Columbus' heart was definitely what got them close to the playoffs last year.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:03 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

So are we basically throwing Gagner off the team because he'll probably be paid more than Gravbovski would? Or are we relying on that mystical corsi number?

There's probably a reason why a good #2 UFA centre still isn't signed, people. Read between the lines.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
So are we basically throwing Gagner off the team because he'll probably be paid more than Gravbovski would? Or are we relying on that mystical corsi number?

There's probably a reason why a good #2 UFA centre still isn't signed, people. Read between the lines.
The only way we trade Gagner is either the return nets us a #2 C, or some other trade gets us a #2 C.

And by #2 C, I mean someone who fits us better. Someone who plays a more distinctive two-way game, but might play with less offense.

Right now though, Grabovski is absolutely not the answer in my opinion. Options, truthfully, are pretty limited. Philly isn't dealing Couts for anything less than a substantial return. Hanzal won't be leaving Phoenix and Tippett soon (and that team looks like a division contender). Eventually I think the 'ideal' C might have to be more Paul Stastny rather than Hanzal.

Still, right now Gagner isn't going anywhere.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:24 AM
ZedenoCiger

I read this forum quite regularly but did I miss a recent rumor of Gagner on the block with the Flyers and the NYI beig the interested parties? Apparently it's coming from Team 1040 in Vancouver. I saw it on the main board. Have no idea if its legit.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Lindo

I doubt Gagner is getting traded as I'm sure he'll sign an hour or two before his arbitration hearing, but if he wants 5M+ then I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what you can do.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:

Dwayne R

Regular Season

Save percentage .909
Goals against 2.75

Playoffs
Save percentage .927
Goals against 2.33

Juicy M

Regular Season

Save percentage .886
Goals against 3.14

Playoffs

Save percentage .905
Goals against 2.17

Ty Conklin

Regular Season

Save percentage .880
Goals against 2.80

Playoffs

Save percentage .667
Goals against 10

Is this a mistake? I'm pretty sure the only ice-time Conklin saw in the playoffs was the last 5 minutes of game 1 when he gave up the goal to Brind Amour

EDIT: nevermind, just realized it meant 10.0 not 10 goals against in total haha

Old
07-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Is this a mistake? I'm pretty sure the only ice-time Conklin saw in the playoffs was the last 5 minutes of game 1 when he gave up the goal to Brind Amour
Yes he played 6 minutes gave up 1 goal. Meaning he ended up with an even 10 GAA.

The posts he made about riding the hot hand made previously was silly since neither Conk or Mark had played in ages previous to game 1.

Closed Thread