HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Stewart-Tarasenko VS Perron-Yakupov

View Poll Results: Which wingers do you select for the next 5+ seasons?
Stewart - Tarasenko 56 30.60%
Perron - Yakupov 127 69.40%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-13-2013, 10:16 AM
agent22red
10/10/14

vCash: 206
Oilers duo

agent22red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:51 PM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Chris Stewart scored on over 18% of his shots. That's not going to repeat so I don't really care about how "hot" he was.
Good avoidance. Stewart has the ability to get hot and take over/win games. Perron really doesn't.
Quote:
Andre the giant would have been bigger and tougher than Chara. Doesn't mean anything about how useful he is. Grabner is significantly faster than both of them. Doesn't make him better or more useful. All these things are great descriptive words about the player but they have no impact on how useful they are. Jack Johnson is a far superior athlete to both of them; a faster and more fluid skater. He's also Marc-Andre Bergeron lite in his own end.
False once again. Stewart's size makes him much more effective as a net-front presence. Perron tries but he's not nearly as good as Stewart there. Stewart also provides the toughness factor. But good dismissal once again.

Your examples of Grabner and Jack Johnson are so irrelevant to this discussion it's not even funny.

Quote:
Perron is SO much better defensively than Stewart that he could be an offensive black hole and he might still have more value. I can't really understate how useless Stewart is in his own end.
Perron is tenacious, which is why he can see some PK time, but his smarts in the defensive end are being overrated by you. He tries, and certainly is better than Stewart in that aspect, but he's not near good enough defensively to make up for the offensive advantage and toughness that Stewart provides. But thanks.

Quote:
Do you think it's just coincidence that Stewart played less 5v5 hockey in the playoffs than 8 other forwards? Just coincidence that Hitchcock gave more even strength time, more short handed time, and more power play time to Perron over Stewart in the regular season?
Yeah because Stewart wasn't playing well in the playoffs so that's what happens. His whole line (with McDonald and Sobotka) sucked so they saw limited ice. And in a tight defensive series like the one against LA, they weren't used as much.

And with less ice time he still produced more than Perron in the regular season. Imagine that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =eklunds source View Post
Maybe you know something that the Blues organization doesn't.
Oh no, they also know that Stewart is better. That's why he's still in the team and Perron isn't.

Quote:
When Perron is on the ice, the Blues continually outchanced the opposition regardless of who they're playing against, and when Stewart is on the ice they are drastically outshot and the puck spends an awful lot more time in their own end. If you think Stewart is better because he's bigger and tougher and can score a pretty goal here or there, that's fine, but I prefer to use the results that correlate highly with winning hockey games and aren't based on subjective narratives..
Perron doesn't make his teammates better. He hardly uses them. Perron has not been the driving force of a line on the Blues for a long time. Stewart has (including being on a line with Berglund and Perron).

It's funny you throw out all these stats but probably haven't watched games. That's ok, be ignorant to reality.

If you think Perron is better because he's better defensively and can score a pretty goal here and there but otherwise does not know how to use his talent and produce and has gotten badly outscored by Stewart in their careers so far, that's fine, but I prefer actual offensive production, which Stewart provides a lot more of.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:53 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Talent alone. David Perron's hands are filthy. He plays a better defensive game than Stewart and is reliable come big games(e.g. Playoffs)

Next question!!
Haha. Gotta love some Oilers fans being all over Perron now without having seen him play enough.

He has talent. The problem is he doesn't actually use it to produce enough points.

Last edited by BlueDream: 07-14-2013 at 12:17 AM.
BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:28 AM
RomersWorld*

Give me Perron over Stewart just barely...coming from rare unbiased view who has seen almost every game the past 2 seasons.

It is weird how Blues fans are acting like this 48 game season means everything while last years 82 game season means nothing. You want to take away from Perron for having a down year in a lockout shortened season while boosting Stewart who shot almost 19% this lockout shortened season but lets forget about last year when Stewart was an embarrassment to hockey and downright pathetically awful most nights...not contributing anything.

I can see arguments both ways for both players but to act like it is such a fact that Stewart is better than Perron and to think otherwise is idiotic...I don't think that is fair. Neither was good in the playoffs this year.

Funny how similar their stats are when taking last year's Perron and this year's Stewart
Perron 57 games, 21 goals, 21 assists, 42 points, +19, 18.4 SH%, 0.74 PPG
Stewart 48 games, 18 goals, 18 assists, 36 points, +/- 0, 18.6 SH%, 0.75 PPG

I can tell you if you take Stewart last year to this years Perron...clearly in favor of Perron.
Perron 48 games, 10 goals, 15 assists, 25 points, +/- 0, 11.9 SH%, 0.52 PPG
Stewart 79 games, 15 goals, 15 assists, 30 points, +1, 9.0 SH%, 0.38 PPG

Clear advantage in points per game for Perron there. But somehow to think Perron is better is unthinkable? Give me a break.

Because Perron was traded that obviously means Stewart is better? Well first the offseason isn't even over and second...Chris Stewart was traded while David Jones was kept. And this means nothing just like it does for Perron.

People who prefer puck possession and two way game will likely lean towards Perron and those who like a bigger goal scorer will lean toward Stewart. Acting like it isn't close or there is a clear cut better player when each player has had a better year in the past 2 seasons(Stewart this year, Perron last year) is ridiculous IMO.

Perron has the potential to be better than Stewart and Stewart has the potential to be better than Perron. It seems like Blues fans are all knowing and can already see how the future will play out though...clearly.

Last edited by RomersWorld*: 07-14-2013 at 12:35 AM.
RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:46 AM
thedustman

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Give me Perron over Stewart just barely...coming from rare unbiased view who has seen almost every game the past 2 seasons.

It is weird how Blues fans are acting like this 48 game season means everything while last years 82 game season means nothing. You want to take away from Perron for having a down year in a lockout shortened season while boosting Stewart who shot almost 19% this lockout shortened season but lets forget about last year when Stewart was an embarrassment to hockey and downright pathetically awful most nights...not contributing anything.

I can see arguments both ways for both players but to act like it is such a fact that Stewart is better than Perron and to think otherwise is idiotic...I don't think that is fair. Neither was good in the playoffs this year.

Funny how similar their stats are when taking last year's Perron and this year's Stewart

I can tell you if you take Stewart last year to this years Perron...clearly in favor of Perron.

Clear advantage in points per game for Perron there. But somehow to think Perron is better is unthinkable? Give me a break.

Because Perron was traded that obviously means Stewart is better? Well first the offseason isn't even over and second...Chris Stewart was traded while David Jones was kept. And this means nothing just like it does for Perron.

People who prefer puck possession and two way game will likely lean towards Perron and those who like a bigger goal scorer will lean toward Stewart. Acting like it isn't close or there is a clear cut better player when each player has had a better year in the past 2 seasons(Stewart this year, Perron last year) is ridiculous IMO.

Perron has the potential to be better than Stewart and Stewart has the potential to be better than Perron. It seems like Blues fans are all knowing and can already see how the future will play out though...clearly.
yea haha.. i bet they are actually in a close battle next year in terms of points, especially because Perron is with the oilers now.

Take this year's stewie and this year's DP... stewart is a better fit with today's blues, I don't think many will argue that. I don't think perron's two-way game is anything to rave about, nor is stewart's... but i think that stewart can do more in times of need when he knows he has a line mate to back him up

EDIT: and for this poll, i think there needs to be a "control" center for both choices.

thedustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:08 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:

An embarrassment to hockey? A player having a down year is now considered an embarrassment to hockey? Give me a break.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:24 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I'll take Perron easily over Stewart based on the concrete facts eklund's source laid out. Yakupov and Tarasenko are closer, but Perron takes it for me.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:33 AM
thedustman

vCash: 169
Quote:

The 2009-2010 season Stewart scored 28 goals. More impressive to me was that he managed 221 shots - he's only managed more than 100 in a season once since then.. Anyway, so he scored 28 goals.

Despite that, when he was on the ice the Avs were woefully outshot (1062 to 877). However, the Avalanche scored at an exceptional clip though - they shot 12.31%. Just like Eberle and his 12.8% last year, or Henrik Sedin and his 13.6% when he won the Hart trophy... it never lasts. It's not reproducible. It's the first thing I look at when a player comes out of nowhere to have incredible success. Immediately after that season I predicted Stewart's success wouldn't repeat. It hasn't.

2010-2011 he split between Colorado and St. Louis.

In Colorado: 36 games, 13 goals, 2.6 shots/game, 12.7sh%
In St. Louis: 26 games, 15 goals, 2.57 shots/game, 22.4sh%
You just proved yourself wrong

EDIT: stewart performed better than perron while they were on the same team... what is the argument?

Last edited by thedustman: 07-14-2013 at 01:41 AM.
thedustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:46 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious Backes View Post
Two thoughts.

1. Granted I didn't see Yak play a lot this past year, but I don't think the gap between Yak and Tarasenko is nearly as wide as some people think. People might have forgotten but Tarasenko was electric the first few weeks of the season and was the early Calder front-runner before his concussion. Give him top 6 minutes and more PP time and I think he could really flourish.

2. Stewart and Perron are both enigmas who have driven Blues fans crazy recently. Stewart is a 30 goal guy if paired with the right center, which he hasn't had since Stasny. Perron is a high skill guy with low hockey IQ who doesn't make his teammates better. Really overrated in my book.

Very close in my book, good poll. As a homer I took Tank/Stewart
That's weird. I always thought perron had a high hockey IQ and a commentator even said that during the kings/blues series last season.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:11 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Haha. Gotta love some Oilers fans being all over Perron now without having seen him play enough.

He has talent. The problem is he doesn't actually use it to produce enough points.
He hasn't performed with a talent like Yakupov yet. I've been watching Perron play since juniors.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:04 PM
BackesInBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
That's weird. I always thought perron had a high hockey IQ and a commentator even said that during the kings/blues series last season.
I can't tell you the amount of times Perron had a clean pass up ice but instead attempted to dangle causing an offsides, or the crazy/boneheaded offensive zone penalties. Perron's fun, he's exciting, he lives and breathes hockey. I'm going to miss him. At the same time, he was easily the most frustrating player on our roster most of the time.

Who's more valuable? I don't really know tbh. IF Stewie is playing his physical game and going to the net the answer is obvious, but he doesn't always do that. His game suffered last year, but it was also a learning curve where he was figuring out some semblance of a two-way game. If he gets that, then he'll be pretty dominant this year. Perron is going to excite Edmonton fans, but also frustrate them the same as he has with us these last few years. IF he learns to pass/shoot first instead of dangling he'll be a gem, but he hasn't learned to do that yet.

Yakupov is a terrific talent. No question about it. I can't judge what Tarasenko will become though, as his concussion and previous KHL games played before coming to STL partnered with a condensed schedule and yet another concussion kind of put a damper on any decent assessment of how good/great this kid really is.

I'll go homer here, if nothing else but I think Tarasenko is a bit closer to Yakupov than many are crediting here and I have faith that Stewie is going to have a terrific season if partnered with Roy. But it's really darned close and could effectively go either way. I'd love to see this discussion after this coming season and see how everyone feels at that time, because it's fairly intriguing.

BackesInBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

Oiler dominating this poll. But I thought everyone hates the Oilers! Where's the Oilers bias

Tralfamadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious Backes View Post
Two thoughts.

1. Granted I didn't see Yak play a lot this past year, but I don't think the gap between Yak and Tarasenko is nearly as wide as some people think. People might have forgotten but Tarasenko was electric the first few weeks of the season and was the early Calder front-runner before his concussion. Give him top 6 minutes and more PP time and I think he could really flourish.

2. Stewart and Perron are both enigmas who have driven Blues fans crazy recently. Stewart is a 30 goal guy if paired with the right center, which he hasn't had since Stasny. Perron is a high skill guy with low hockey IQ who doesn't make his teammates better. Really overrated in my book.

Very close in my book, good poll. As a homer I took Tank/Stewart

Agree with everything you said, especially with the Tarasenko part. If he was given top 6 minutes and PP time, he would score 35+. being a rookie and his concussion, he just didn't get a chance to. He has so much offensive talent it's crazy. He was never the same player after his concussion, unfortunately. He should be ready to roll this year.

Also, Stewart > Perron quite easily.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BON IVER View Post
Oiler dominating this poll. But I thought everyone hates the Oilers! Where's the Oilers bias
Yakupov's a 1st overall draft pick, his projection as a player makes Edmonton the obvious choice. Neither Blue is expected to have the same ceiling/impact as a 1st overall. Tarasenko may yet be a very good player and the sky is the limit but he's not nearly as good a bet as Yakupov is all things considered.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:

Well done.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote