HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mark Streit

Old
10-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Blades 0f Steel

vCash: 500
Still wondering why Streit is not a forward.

Someone please tell me.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Live Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Still wondering why Streit is not a forward.

Someone please tell me.
Because he is a natural defenseman ?

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:34 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
There is no way you put a 5th/6th Dman as the 4th guy on a shootout. I was freaking out when I saw that. How do you put Streit before Souray or Markov? If you're going with a defenseman on a shootout at least make it one that produces offensively. Bad call by Carbonneau.
Lemaire sent this guy 4th....before Gaborik.
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...ayerId=8468613

If it works for Lemaire...it works for me.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:35 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
Souray in the shootout? Brilliant. You should definitely be the coach.
Yeah, where's my head. Having Souray, with 6 goals (tied with Higgins for the lead), and the biggest shot of any Canadiens player in a shootout over Streit is a terrible idea

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:37 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
He plays like a little girl when the puck is in our zone.

Well thats a step up from how Rivet played. At least Streit doesn't take a penalty every other shift...

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:38 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever View Post
Higgins, Ryder, Koivu, Perez, and Kovalev all got their chances but they missed. I don't see what was wrong with letting Streit have a go at it. I understand that this was a divisional game, but Streit is just as creative as the majority of our skilled forwards. Who would you have chosen instead?
The problem with what you just said is that Streit was put out there as the 4th shooter, before Higgins, Perezhogin or Koivu for that matter. I don't have a problem with Streit in there if they've exhausted all other options. Last time I checked, "almost", doesn't count (reference to Streit almost scoring as posters are saying here).

Old
10-28-2006, 09:43 PM
znk

Quote:
Yeah, where's my head. Having Souray, with 6 goals (tied with Higgins for the lead), and the biggest shot of any Canadiens player in a shootout over Streit is a terrible idea
If you cant figure out why it's a terrible idea..... I dont think anyone can help you.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Live Forever

Quote:
The problem with what you just said is that Streit was put out there as the 4th shooter, before Higgins, Perezhogin or Koivu for that matter. I don't have a problem with Streit in there if they've exhausted all other options. Last time I checked, almost, doesn't count (reference to Streit almost scoring as posters are saying here).
But the fact is that we did indeed try all options tonight whatever the order was, and none of them scored either. I don't see the reasoning of you complaining that Koivu or Higgins shot after Streit if they didn't score either. Had they scored, I'd understand where you're coming from, but in my opinion, Streit made a decent move and came close. Streit played a good game tonight and he was rewarded with a penalty shot from Carbo. That's the way it should be. I think Koivu and Higgins came 5th and 6th in the shootout order because they had weak games if you ask me.

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:45 PM
MathMan

You know, Streit played in Europe for several years where they have the shootout, and he was a star there.

You think maybe he's done a few shootouts?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:45 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If you cant figure out why it's a terrible idea..... I dont think anyone can help you.
Humour me coach. You have yet to give insite on that topic. You make it sound like it's so obvious Souray stinks in shootouts. Explain why you think so. Enlighten us all with your hockey knowledge.

Old
10-28-2006, 09:46 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
You know, Streit played in Europe for several years where they have the shootout, and he was a star there.

You think maybe he's done a few shootouts?
I dunno, you tell me. How many shootouts was Streit a shooter in?

Old
10-28-2006, 09:51 PM
NewGuy

Quote:
Just think about where Souray scores goals from and how he scores them. His slapshot is great during the game but wouldn't be useful in the shootout.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:53 PM
MathMan

Quote:
I dunno, you tell me. How many shootouts was Streit a shooter in?
I have no idea. I'm asking if anyone thinks it might be possible. That would help explain Carbo's decision.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:53 PM
grapeshine

Gotta love the thinking that Carbo thought "Oh hell, who should I put out there next -- eenie, meanie, miney, moe . . . Mark Streit out you go!!!!" For whatever reason Carbo went with Streit. The CBC guys said it was to reward his hard work in practice. I thought Steit played a good game and he was being rewarded for playing well. If this was a move that builds Streit's confidence why the heck not? It's not like he didn't give it a full effort.

grapeshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:54 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever View Post
But the fact is that we did indeed try all options tonight whatever the order was, and none of them scored either. I don't see the reasoning of you complaining that Koivu or Higgins shot after Streit if they didn't score either. Had they scored, I'd understand where you're coming from, but in my opinion, Streit made a decent move and came close. Streit played a good game tonight and he was rewarded with a penalty shot from Carbo. That's the way it should be. I think Koivu and Higgins came 5th and 6th in the shootout order because they had weak games if you ask me.
The problem with that is I'd rather lose knowing we put our best out there first. I'd be ok with that.

And there doesn't have to be any reasoning for my complaining . I'm a Habs fan who is pissed off that we lost to a IMO horrible Leafs team at home and played flat-footed all game long. Aebischer deserved a better fate.

Old
10-28-2006, 09:57 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Just think about where Souray scores goals from and how he scores them. His slapshot is great during the game but wouldn't be useful in the shootout.
Funny, Souray scored the tying goal tonight from the hashmarks, short side on Aubin, not from the point. The point is he'd be out there IMO before Streit (And Markov before any defenseman). Souray has a powerful shot and what's wrong with the logic of him going out there and wiring it once he crosses the blue line. Ryder failed to recall what works for him tonight and, once again went with the deke rather than his bread and butter shot.

Old
10-28-2006, 09:59 PM
barfy2000

Quote:
Tell that to Robert Reichel

barfy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Sthabs

Aebi sure did deserve a better fate
but the rest of the team didn t,
face it, we got outplayed for like 45 minutes and are very lucky to get that point.
Streit is not a young rookie D coming out of nowhere, the guy is a skilled offensive D and has experience. He probably has the best shot after 44 and 79
he has no size but doesnt need any in a SO
It was a good move by carbo that almost worked, sometimes you have to reward these guys

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:05 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I have no idea. I'm asking if anyone thinks it might be possible. That would help explain Carbo's decision.
Well, I would expect someone who's name is Mathman to have statistics and numbers to back up such statements

Old
10-28-2006, 10:22 PM
NewGuy

Quote:
Funny, Souray scored the tying goal tonight from the hashmarks, short side on Aubin, not from the point. The point is he'd be out there IMO before Streit (And Markov before any defenseman). Souray has a powerful shot and what's wrong with the logic of him going out there and wiring it once he crosses the blue line. Ryder failed to recall what works for him tonight and, once again went with the deke rather than his bread and butter shot.
It's a shootout. No one is going to score with a point shot.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Mackee

I loved it. Streit's got hands even if he's not the best in his own zone. Need I remind some of you that he is an offensive defenseman?

Plus, he had Aubin beat with a nice move, just slid a tad wide.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:42 PM
madbox

Don't see the point in complaining, Streit obviously does something right in practice and we know that, although it's still coming together in the NHL, he's more of an offensive, rushing defenseman. So why not? HAD he scored, everyone would be praising the move like crazy... it didn't pan out but I liked the move anyways.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:48 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
It's a shootout. No one is going to score with a point shot.
I never said a point shot. So, what you're saying is Souray doesn't know how to shoot the puck other than from the point? I already pointed out teh tying goal tonight by Souray who scored from the left side of the hash marks short side on Aubin. Sorry, he didn't score from the point.

Old
10-28-2006, 10:49 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBlancRouge View Post
I loved it. Streit's got hands even if he's not the best in his own zone. Need I remind some of you that he is an offensive defenseman?

Plus, he had Aubin beat with a nice move, just slid a tad wide.
If he's offensive then I'd love to see his stats over the last 2 years with our habs. I'm sure he's been lighting it up. He sure slipped under my radar if that's the case.

Old
10-28-2006, 10:51 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbox View Post
Don't see the point in complaining, Streit obviously does something right in practice and we know that, although it's still coming together in the NHL, he's more of an offensive, rushing defenseman. So why not? HAD he scored, everyone would be praising the move like crazy... it didn't pan out but I liked the move anyways.
Right, but Streit didn't score. It's one of those things. Much like Niimimaa's guarantee over the Sabres. Had they won then Niinimaa would have received the highest praise. That's how things work. Sorry to have to tell ya that.