HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Streit

Old
10-28-2006, 11:54 PM
AlexeiKovalev27

vCash: 500
I was like wth too, but hey, he was closer to score than 5 others so....

AlexeiKovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 11:55 PM
madbox

Streit didn't score and neither did anyone but Sammy.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 11:57 PM
AlexeiKovalev27

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbox View Post
Streit didn't score and neither did anyone but Sammy.
I think we all know that...useless post?

AlexeiKovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:00 AM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Funny, Souray scored the tying goal tonight from the hashmarks, short side on Aubin, not from the point. The point is he'd be out there IMO before Streit (And Markov before any defenseman). Souray has a powerful shot and what's wrong with the logic of him going out there and wiring it once he crosses the blue line.
Quote:
I never said a point shot. So, what you're saying is Souray doesn't know how to shoot the puck other than from the point? I already pointed out teh tying goal tonight by Souray who scored from the left side of the hash marks short side on Aubin. Sorry, he didn't score from the point.
Unless you want to get into a semantic argument you essentially described a point shot in the first post. Also just because Souray can score from the outside does not mean he can score one-on-one with the goalie. Streit and Souray are equally proven on the breakaway and I don't see why picking Streit over Souray is such a bad decision.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Aarex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
He plays like a little girl when the puck is in our zone.
Its true, the guy would be twice the defencemen that is currently is if he would battle for the puck.

at least 3 times the puck was in his reach sitting there with no one around it that he could have gotten but didn't because if he did he would have gotten hit.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:06 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
Unless you want to get into a semantic argument you essentially described a point shot in the first post. Also just because Souray can score from the outside does not mean he can score one-on-one with the goalie. Streit and Souray are equally proven on the breakaway and I don't see why picking Streit over Souray is such a bad decision.
Naaw, the semantic argument is being imparted by you. When I say "crossing the blueline" I mean crossing it and taking some strides, perhaps at the hash marks and picking a spot and wiring it.

Quote:
Also just because Souray can score from the outside does not mean he can score one-on-one with the goalie.
It doesn't mean he can't either. That point I made was to support the argument that Souray doesn't have to be at the point to score goals as proven tonight.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:18 AM
madbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexeiKovalev27 View Post
I think we all know that...useless post?
Not when it's in reference to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock
Right, but Streit didn't score. It's one of those things. Much like Niimimaa's guarantee over the Sabres. Had they won then Niinimaa would have received the highest praise. That's how things work. Sorry to have to tell ya that.
Only one guy did, why not question every single shooter then? Or is just because he's a defenseman? Nummelin faired pretty well, putting d-men in now is starting to seem like the experiment to try, also catch the opposing goalie off guard a bit. And in a game where we had no business even getting a point, I really can't complain about it.
As for Niinimaa, I was so indifferent about his "guarantee", couldn't care less about it, really.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:24 AM
NewGuy

Quote:
Naaw, the semantic argument is being imparted by you. When I say "crossing the blueline" I mean crossing it and taking some strides, perhaps at the hash marks and picking a spot and wiring it.
The why not say the hash marks instead of saying "crossing the blueline". It still isn't likely to work but it's not as crazy as taking a shot from just over the blueline.

Quote:
It doesn't mean he can't either. That point I made was to support the argument that Souray doesn't have to be at the point to score goals as proven tonight.
Souray's ability to score using a slapshot from the top of the circle, from the point or from wherever is unlikely to come in handy in a shootout. Souray can score these goals because there are other players on the ice that affect the play. On breakaways and one-on-one situations he's proven just as much as Streit.

Old
10-29-2006, 12:35 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
The why not say the hash marks instead of saying "crossing the blueline". It still isn't likely to work but it's not as crazy as taking a shot from just over the blueline.
Fine. I will be more specific as to where I think Souray or any player should shoot from. I was simply eluding to the fact that it didn't have to be from the point. Besides, it's not only the velocity of his shot that could be useful, but his accuracy has been dead-on which could prove valuable in shootouts. I still fail to see all the doom and gloom with Souray's shot being useful in the shootout.

My original argument was simply to say that, if you're going with a defenseman in a shooutout I would have chosen others before Streit. And I would have chosen Markov before any habs blueliner.

Quote:
Souray's ability to score using a slapshot from the top of the circle, from the point or from wherever is unlikely to come in handy in a shootout. Souray can score these goals because there are other players on the ice that affect the play. On breakaways and one-on-one situations he's proven just as much as Streit.
Agreed, unproven, yes. With all that being equal, why not go with what we do know about them. Souray scores and produces offensively. Streit does not. And that's not to downplay a solid game by him either.

Old
10-29-2006, 12:44 AM
NewGuy

Quote:
Agreed, unproven, yes. With all that being equal, why not go with what we do know about them. Souray scores and produces offensively. Streit does not. And that's not to downplay a solid game by him either.
We'll have to agree to disagree because I don't believe that Souray's offensive talents translate into the shootout any better than Streit's.

Old
10-29-2006, 12:55 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree because I don't believe that Souray's offensive talents translate into the shootout any better than Streit's.
And why's that? I pointed out Souray's stats and offensive ability to score. How, in your opinion, is Streit more qualified? Yes, it's a shootout, and both are unproven in them, but you only go with what you know about them. I don't see the proof to back up using Streit in shootouts over Souray or, much less, Markov.

Old
10-29-2006, 12:59 AM
NewGuy

Quote:
And why's that? I pointed out Souray's stats and offensive ability to score. How, in your opinion, is Streit more qualified? Yes, it's a shootout, and both are unproven in them, but you only go with what you know about them. I don't see the proof to back up using Streit in shootouts over Souray or, much less, Markov.
Streit isn't more or less qualified than Souray. So picking one over the other isn't a mistake by the coach. Of course the one thing neither of us can see is how the players' perform in practice shootouts. I would guess that's also a factor in the coach's decision.

Old
10-29-2006, 01:04 AM
advantage2006

Couldnt get his shootout stats but here are hus euro and NHL:

In Elite Leagues(Not including Playoffs):
GM G A P
364 57 139 196

In NHL(Not including Playoffs):
GM G A P
53 2 10 12

advantage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:04 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Streit isn't more or less qualified than Souray. So picking one over the other isn't a mistake by the coach. Of course the one thing neither of us can see is how the players' perform in practice shootouts. I would guess that's also a factor in the coach's decision.
I'll take it a step further and say I think it was a mistake to go with a defenseman at all in the shootout. If Carbs was playing roulette with the shootout order then why not gamble on Latendresse (and not Streit)? Afterall, he has been high on him all season. Imagine Latendresse scoring the shootout winner and what that would do for his conifdence?

Old
10-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Habitants

he played 20 min tonight, and was +2,
he had a great pass to sammy for the first goal, and he deserves some serious credit

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Ghost of Saku

Here's a question, why the hell did both teams keep trying to DEKE?
You gotta shoot that baby

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:15 AM
swisdan

Someones say it's not a good decision to pick Streit for the shootouts....

But first, do you know that Carbo give to the players some shootouts practice every training? Obviouly....And Streit must be one of the skillest shooter in the practice. He moves pretty good.

Yes, Streit shooted several penalty shoots in Europe, or have lot of breakaway. A carreer don't begin when you come in NHL. It's perhaps a surprise for some.

And yes, Streit didn't score, but his move was pretty and i hope Carbo give a another try to Streit the next time.

Sorry, but it's easy to give always some criticals for every move from the coach or the players. Your fans, i understand you want always to tell you opinion. But IMO Carbo did the good choice.

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:26 AM
Mackee

Quote:
If he's offensive then I'd love to see his stats over the last 2 years with our habs. I'm sure he's been lighting it up. He sure slipped under my radar if that's the case.
I guess being a near point per game defenseman in the Swiss A league means little. Then again, you'll probably tell me it's only the Swiss league.

Also runs the Swiss national team's PP. Does a pretty good job of that.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:51 AM
Montrealer

It shocked me, sure... but I don't think Carbo was goofing around. Obviously, Streit must have been successful during shootout practice.

I mean, isn't this obvious? Or do some people think Carbonneau was rolling a 20-sided die behind the bench?

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 04:10 AM
Nyclaus

Maybe someone can confirm this but you can't slapshot in the shootout!

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 04:38 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanghg View Post
Am I the only one that was freaking out when I saw Mark get on the ice for the shoot out? If he would of scored it would have made my week. Or year even. I was screaming like mad. The RDS guys were like WAIT what the ****....MARK STREIT IS ON THE ICE

It would of been perfect. Oh well, He still played a good game. (relatively....to the horrible game we played )

GO STREIT

I was really surprised too... I was even more surprised at how many shooters it took to get to higgins as well.

I'll give streit credit thought... he made a great move. He was unlucky with the finish

BTW, just for fun... wouldn;t it be cool to see souray selected in the shootout? Just skate over the blueline and unload a cannon... I'd love to see how the goalies react

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:40 AM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Streit?

I have a question.. first of all when is Dandenault expected to return? and second of all.. once he returns who will get scratched? I mean IMO Streit is too good to just stay on the bench. IMO Streit right now is our 4th D infront of Rivet and Niniimaa. 3 pts in 6 games and is playing awesome hockey. Just wondering...

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:45 AM
SOLR

Probably not in front of Rivet because Riv is not in the same style, hes a stay at home D. I would say hes beating Ninimaa atm.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Form and Substance

At some point Streit and Niinimaa were manning the blue line when the Sundin line came on. That was the single scariest moment of my life.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:42 AM
MXD

Depth Chart wise he's 6th D-Men right now (which means he's the 8th D-Men).

So far he's the second best D-Men in his zone, not bad for an offensive D-Men.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote