HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should Markov complete his contract and be let go, be extended, or traded?

Old
07-14-2013, 01:34 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
I would say keep him. Players like Markov don't come around too often.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:41 PM
vik352

vCash: 50
If we're out of contention I say we trade him at the deadline
An extension of 6M/2yr would also be fair for both

vik352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:50 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I would say keep him. Players like Markov don't come around too often.
Then, how do you improve your d-core? We only have so much time before Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller and all those guys get 4M+ per season. And Markov is not a guy I see fitting. If we sign him, it better be for 1 year.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:52 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Then, how do you improve your d-core? We only have so much time before Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller and all those guys get 4M+ per season. And Markov is not a guy I see fitting. If we sign him, it better be for 1 year.
Why the false dichotomy?

Why can we not keep Markov and improve the D-core at the same time? Losing Markov would actually deplete our already weak d-core significantly.

Old
07-14-2013, 01:57 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That's not why Emelin retrieves the puck, you make it seem as if Markov is the slowest player in the NHL. He's not that slow.
The reason why Emelin is the one going after the puck is because Markov is the great puck mover. You want Markov to organize the breakout, not Emelin.
That means Emelin gets the puck, Markov opens up, once Emelin gets the puck he tosses it along the boards to Markov who can then set up a play.

There was a lack of mobility, but I think people should wait until next season before making their minds up. This was a comeback year for Markov. If he improves next year and adapts his game better, there's no reason to want to get rid of him.
Well in my mind I've seen an obvious decline. I hope we can attribute it to lack of playing time the last few seasons combined with the hard lockout schedule that many veterans had trouble dealing with. I hope it was a question of endurance and that he proves me wrong. People like to call me stupid for my opinion like I somehow want Markov to fail. No, I simply want the Habs to succeed and I think in order to do so they need to get better 5 on 5, because that's what playoff hockey is about. And 5 on 5, I see Markov not being close to worth what he's being paid, which is a shame because I remember him being an elite defenceman of the NHL. I would prefer to go in another direction. The Blackhawks had no problem playing Leddy all year and the Bruins had no problem playing Krug in the playoffs. I don't understand why people think it would be the end of the world if Beaulieu or Nygren are in the NHL by the 2014 season.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Markov declining is still better than half the defencmen in the league

Habs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Demon Wolf

He should finish his career in Montreal. I hope we extend him. He had a great season all things considered. Yeah he looked rough at times, but first full season in years with a condensed schedule and 20+ KHL games before that. I think he'll be even better next year.

People seem to forget he brought our PP back to the top class of the league and was top 5 in d-scoring.

Demon Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:09 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Why the false dichotomy?

Why can we not keep Markov and improve the D-core at the same time? Losing Markov would actually deplete our already weak d-core significantly.
Once again:

Who do you replace to stengthen it? You guys here speak as if Bouillon made our defense weaker single-handedly. It's not the case.

We have Subban, a Norris winner. We have an up and coming Tinordi.

After that?

Gorges, Markov, Bouillon, Emelin, Diaz

Who do you replace? Where do you improve the D? Let's remove Markov from this list since you already said it's possible to improve our D by keeping him...

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:45 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Once again:

Who do you replace to stengthen it? You guys here speak as if Bouillon made our defense weaker single-handedly. It's not the case.

We have Subban, a Norris winner. We have an up and coming Tinordi.

After that?

Gorges, Markov, Bouillon, Emelin, Diaz

Who do you replace? Where do you improve the D? Let's remove Markov from this list since you already said it's possible to improve our D by keeping him...
Gorges, Boullion, or Diaz; or any combination thereof. These are largely run-of-the-mill uni-dimensional defesenmen who are not capable of logging big minutes.

Markov and Subban are the only defensemen capable of logging 24+ minutes. Why would you take out one of those in an attempt to improve your defensive core? Gorges is a bit of an exception because he is capable of logging large EV TOI (even if this capablility is diminishing), but he can still be upgraded for a strong two-way defensemen who can do the same thing, but bring more dimensions to your d-corps.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Well in my mind I've seen an obvious decline. I hope we can attribute it to lack of playing time the last few seasons combined with the hard lockout schedule that many veterans had trouble dealing with. I hope it was a question of endurance and that he proves me wrong. People like to call me stupid for my opinion like I somehow want Markov to fail. No, I simply want the Habs to succeed and I think in order to do so they need to get better 5 on 5, because that's what playoff hockey is about. And 5 on 5, I see Markov not being close to worth what he's being paid, which is a shame because I remember him being an elite defenceman of the NHL. I would prefer to go in another direction. The Blackhawks had no problem playing Leddy all year and the Bruins had no problem playing Krug in the playoffs. I don't understand why people think it would be the end of the world if Beaulieu or Nygren are in the NHL by the 2014 season.
I would have loved to have traded for Leddy. He's, younger, better, and cheaper than Markov. The Blackhawks have really underutilized him, however they have a logjam of amazing demen. Leddy would help us a lot at 5 on 5 and would do well on the 2nd PP unit. He's one of the most underrated guys in the league.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Why the false dichotomy?

Markov's contract is why. If Markov is willing to take 2 million a year and play almost exclusively on the PP then I have no problem, however in the real world we are looking at a contract of at least 4 million and he's simply not worth it.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
I would be pissed off if we let Markov go but still keep "Character" players like Georges and Bouillon.
Gorges is more important to the team than Markov. He's one of the best defensive dmen and penalty killers in the entire league. He's a rock 5 on 5 and a wall on the PK.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Markov still has some game but we must be careful about playing him too many minutes...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Sign him, or trade him. Don't let him walk for nothing.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:17 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I would have loved to have traded for Leddy. He's, younger, better, and cheaper than Markov. The Blackhawks have really underutilized him, however they have a logjam of amazing demen. Leddy would help us a lot at 5 on 5 and would do well on the 2nd PP unit. He's one of the most underrated guys in the league.
I wouldn't doubt that Bergevin thinks the same thing. Leddy is stuck on the 3rd pairing because of the Hawks depth on defence. He's 6th on the team in icetime, but like you, I think he's capable of a lot more. $2.7 million is a lot for your 6th defenceman, maybe Marc can find a way to get him.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Thanks Andrei for your years of service but its time to move on....I think he will be dealt before the end of next season

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Mr. Hab

Sign him cheap for another year...cheap only (no more $5.75/year...we need $$$ for Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, etc).

OR

I'd love to get a solid/young DMAN prospect or solid/young nHL dman with a bright future for Markov.
(but Markov has a no-trade-clause, no? so he might make it hard to get traded...#*%^&*#$%^&).

We urgently need to build a solid TOP 4 D-CORPS.
(besides PK Subban...we don't have one single dman who is a major warrior/winner in the playoffs like Subban...I hope Gorges gets back to his old warrior self in playoffs or else...I'll be pissed with that contract of his...and imo Jarred Tinordi might end up being a solid playoffs warrior in the near future...let's hope so 'cause I have lots of hope for him, so happy J.Tinordi is a Hab!).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:28 PM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I wouldn't doubt that Bergevin thinks the same thing. Leddy is stuck on the 3rd pairing because of the Hawks depth on defence. He's 6th on the team in icetime, but like you, I think he's capable of a lot more. $2.7 million is a lot for your 6th defenceman, maybe Marc can find a way to get him.
Doesn't having Beaulieu make trading for Leddy redundant??...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:32 PM
OneSharpMarble

If he will sign for 3M a year so be it, if not let him go/trade him. He is still a good 2nd pairing dman.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:57 PM
the

Quote:
Gorges is more important to the team than Markov. He's one of the best defensive dmen and penalty killers in the entire league. He's a rock 5 on 5 and a wall on the PK.
He was brutal this year, he's overrated and would rather use the money we pay him to Markov who's way more useful then him. He might not be the old Markov but he's still way more important to this team then Georges.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:08 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Markov's contract is why. If Markov is willing to take 2 million a year and play almost exclusively on the PP then I have no problem, however in the real world we are looking at a contract of at least 4 million and he's simply not worth it.
Markov 5.75
Gorges 3.9
PK 2.8
Emelin 2.0
Diaz 1.225
Tinordi 1.082
Drewiske .637

Yes, PK is expected a decent raise, but it's still one of the cheaper d-crops among playoff teams. We can afford Markov easily.

Almost exclusively on the PP? Markov is still capable of at least 15 mins of effective EV TOI.

At 4 million Markov is more than worth it. Give me a ****ing break.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:15 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
You're out to lunch, no offense.

habsfanatics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Not much value in trading Markov at the trade deadline and I don't think we can get more value for what we would give. Unless a team like Edmonton would offer something hard to refuse. I like the idea of seeing Markov finish the last year of his contract here in Montreal and us having to look for something on the market with 5.75M$ off the cap or re-signing him to a 1yr contract and maybe seeing Markov retire as a hab.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Gorges? Josh Gorges? You know, the one that plays for the Habs? Sorry FOTS, I like Gorges, but he's no where near being one of the top defensive defenseman in the entire league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If he will sign for 3M a year so be it, if not let him go/trade him. He is still a good 2nd pairing dman.
Which means, unless he takes a huge "hometown" discount. There is no way we'll get him for 3M a year. We're probably looking at 4M minimum IMO.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:23 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I wouldn't mind if Markov retired as a Hab. And I wouldn't mind a trade if it improved the current roster.

I'm anxious to see though if Markov can make it through a complete season. While he's still good he looked significantly slower to me. Having said that he's still more important to the Habs than Josh Gorges.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote