Notices

2013 Prospect Updates Continued

Old
07-10-2013, 01:30 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB94 View Post
Hmmm .. It would be quite interesting if he has a breakout year this year and cracks the NHL roster somehow by the end of the year.
Haven't mentioned it because really don't want to start a debate or anything, but he's very likely in the mix for a job immediately.

We all pencil in guys like MacDermid and Garbutt, but in reality Glennie and Sceviour have just as reasonable a shot to steal on of those spots.

Honestly, just consider the fact Glennie was one of Texas' best forwards in the playoffs. Shocking but true, his defensive game was consistent, and he played some tough checking minutes. Nill got to see that first hand.

My expectation is still low, and he should probably spend more time in the AHL considering how much he's missed due to injury ..... I just wouldn't be shocked if he won Nill over or Ruff over in training camp.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:18 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Haven't mentioned it because really don't want to start a debate or anything, but he's very likely in the mix for a job immediately.

We all pencil in guys like MacDermid and Garbutt, but in reality Glennie and Sceviour have just as reasonable a shot to steal on of those spots.

Honestly, just consider the fact Glennie was one of Texas' best forwards in the playoffs. Shocking but true, his defensive game was consistent, and he played some tough checking minutes. Nill got to see that first hand.

My expectation is still low, and he should probably spend more time in the AHL considering how much he's missed due to injury ..... I just wouldn't be shocked if he won Nill over or Ruff over in training camp.
Yeah those two are essentially in the lineup because they play their hearts out. if guys like Glennie and Sceviour match their intensity they can take their spots as both have more talent.

Its weird to think about but lets say somehow both impress and make the rosters. The team would go from having 2 right shot forwards to having 6.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
He'll be injured before exhibitions even start.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:12 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
He could fight for a bottom 6 job but he will injure his hair or something before the season.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
He could fight for a bottom 6 job but he will injure his hair or something before the season.
Split ends are a *****. Just glad they wear gloves or there might chronic hangnail issues.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Hey now, hockey hair is a very very important thing.

Just ask Jamie Benn.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
yeah Seguin is not a small or frail man at all. I went back and watched some videos hyping him in his draft year and its interesting to note how many times people talking about him mentioned that he was a natural center. I have absolutely not doubt he can return to it after just a few years in Boston.
From what I've seen, I think Nichushkin plays a much different kind of game than Seguin. Nichushkin goes out of his way to be physical. He has a tremendous burst of speed for a man his size, and he can get outside and then turn the corner inside very quickly. He has great balance and strength on his skates, which allows him to extend himself and get his shoulder underneath that of the defender. He handles the puck and protects it so well that he is really hard to stop once the train starts rolling downhill! He doesn't hesitate for a second to stick his nose out when in the slot, and he tends to score a lot of goals from point blank. If his head is on straight, he should contribute a lot this season.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:16 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
So when do we usually do our Top 20 Prospects voting? And who is gonna do that? I wouldn't mind doing it if needed, but I've forgotten if one poster usually does it every year (piqued, you do always do it, right)?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
So when do we usually do our Top 20 Prospects voting? And who is gonna do that? I wouldn't mind doing it if needed, but I've forgotten if one poster usually does it every year (piqued, you do always do it, right)?
We can start now, I suppose. Just pick 10 prospects you think should be vying for #1.

Chiasson still counts as a prospect.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:37 PM
TrillMike

I think we should write out exactly who is and isn't a prospect to avoid confusion. A guy like Chiasson is while Dillon is not etc.

This will be a fun way to actually kill the offseason.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:43 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Okay, I'll start it then if that's okay?

Dillon definitely isn't a prospect anymore. Chiasson still is. Those are really the only two that are in the grey area.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Brand New Stars

I think we can all skip voting for #1

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
I think we can all skip voting for #1
You have Austin Smith at #1 right?

Primetimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
You have Austin Smith at #1 right?
He's #2. Glennie will always be #1.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Brock

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...las-stars.html

Wasn't quite sure where to put this.

A review of Dallas' OHL prospects (season review and future outlook).

Old
07-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Thanks for this, I always like hearing from more focused sources about prospects.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:15 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:

Quote:
Nick Paul:

The key to his progression as an offensive player will be improving his skating and his shot. Skating wise, he's a bit sluggish and it prevents him from being more involved off the rush. It also prevents him from creating more chances for himself coming off the wall. And the shot, well that's self explanatory.
I don't get it. What about his shot is self explanatory in this context?

Old
07-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Brock

Quote:
I don't get it. What about his shot is self explanatory in this context?
The first sentence in your snippet reads "the key to his progression will be improving his skating and his shot." I outlined how improving his skating could help his game. And figured that I didn't need to say, "improving the strength and accuracy of his shot will increase his goal scoring numbers." As in...self explanatory. Would seem redundant to me.

Paul generates a lot of scoring chances through hard work and outmuscling defenders. But his shot is not good and he doesn't have a ton of confidence in it. He's more apt to pass out of the corners right now, then come off and rifle a shot to the net. In order to take his offensive game to the next level, that has to change (in addition to the skating).

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:33 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Quote:
The first sentence in your snippet reads "the key to his progression will be improving his skating and his shot." I outlined how improving his skating could help his game. And figured that I didn't need to say, "improving the strength and accuracy of his shot will increase his goal scoring numbers." As in...self explanatory. Would seem redundant to me.

Paul generates a lot of scoring chances through hard work and outmuscling defenders. But his shot is not good and he doesn't have a ton of confidence in it. He's more apt to pass out of the corners right now, then come off and rifle a shot to the net. In order to take his offensive game to the next level, that has to change (in addition to the skating).
Hmmmm. I'm going to assume it's a Mark Fistric shot. Crap.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:42 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Great interview with Campbell:

Quote:
How difficult was it for you last year, really the first time in your career that you haven’t been the outright number one goaltender on your team?

For one, I really enjoyed my time in Texas last year, playing in front of our fans with some great teammates and coaches. There were a lot of great things to build on for this year. But I definitely learned that pro hockey is a lot different and much more demanding, not just on the ice but how you carry yourself off of it. I’m really happy I went through some of the things I went through last year and it’ll prepare me for this year. Just working on everything this summer, I’m feeling really confident and ready to go this season.

With Dallas re-signing Cristopher Nilstorp and picking up free-agent veteran Dan Ellis, the organization seems to have a very strong depth amongst the top four goaltenders.

Absolutely, I’m really excited about it. It’s a great challenge for me to compete with those guys. Obviously there’s Kari [Lehtonen] who’s a world class goalie at the NHL level and Dan Ellis, NHL vet, really good goalie who we played against a couple times last year. Nilsy’s back and you know he’ll be ready to go next year. Real good depth this year with Dallas’ goalies within the system. I’m just real confident in my game right now so I’m not reading into anything. I don’t really care where I play next year, I just want to play hockey and do everything I can to help whatever team I’m playing for win games.

Is it difficult to balance being so eager to reach the highest levels of the sport, especially when everyone says it takes goaltenders a little longer to develop and mature?

For me, it’s something I’ve had to work on more than anything on the ice related. It’s just maturity and growing up. When I got drafted I was obviously very confident and thought I could just jump right into pro hockey and go off right where I left off with the USA program. You have to be patient, put your time in, work hard, learn a lot and when your time’s ready to come, you have to make the most of your opportunity. So I’m done with the whole rushing to get anywhere. I’m just really excited to play hockey and I can honestly say for the first time in a while I have a clear head and just want to go out there and compete and stop as many pucks as I can. With that mindset I can already tell a big difference in the summer that I’ve had. I’m not really in a rush anymore to get up to the NHL. The NHL is an amazing league, but I just have fun competing in the American league. I have a lot of work to do to get there and I’m just excited to play hockey and get better and win hockey games.
http://www.texasstarshockey.com/arti...eries-campbell

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:58 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. I did see the part about improving his shot but that was too vague. As someone who's never seen him play I wouldn't have any idea what about his shot needs work by that statement. Again, thanks for your response and the article, it was a good read.

Old
07-17-2013, 07:05 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I liked that last answer he gave. This year is going to be huge for his development. My feeling is that if he hasn't forced himself into a tandem situation by the end of the season this season will be a bit of...failure is too strong of a word...slight disappointment.

Old
07-17-2013, 07:10 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
There's more in the interview too, I just quoted the most interesting part. It's a good read.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 04:54 AM
Jokipakka

Aleksi Makela, our 7th round pick, has somekind of upperbody injury and will be out 2-3 months. I was expecting him to play some games in fel this year. Hoping for a fast recovery.

Jokipakka is offline   Reply With Quote