HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

Old
07-14-2013, 03:28 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
MPS doesn't really have an offensive game though. I guess we'll see, but if he's going to be counted on to be the one to provide offense on his line, prepare to be disappointed. Good secondary type player, MPS did most of his scoring with Omark and Gagner and most of those were tap ins.
disagree! He has a great offensive game and has showed it in team sweden and in the national junior team and glimts in the nhl. He isnt a pure goalscorer though but assists and create space for linemates counts too.

He has played in a oilers team who has been a bottom team in the nhl with mixed linemates, spending to much time in own zone to defence.

Belanger ruined 1 season for him and he should have been in Ahl his rookieseason to adapt and building confidence.
Instead he was paralyzed with defensive thinking and wasnt ready for Nhl.

The kid will be fine with a better fit!

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:29 PM
LaGu

vCash: 500
Quote:
MPS doesn't really have an offensive game though. I guess we'll see, but if he's going to be counted on to be the one to provide offense on his line, prepare to be disappointed. Good secondary type player, MPS did most of his scoring with Omark and Gagner and most of those were tap ins.
If they put him on the 3rd line with Berglund and Tarasenko (as many on the STL board seem to think) he'll have all the chances in the world to prove himself seeing as Berglund just came off a record season but still only got a 1 year contract due to his previous lack of consistency and Tarasenko will want to prove himself after this year's somewhat bumpy road...

If I were a betting man I'd put in a couple of cents on that if that is the line they play him for the majority of next season, and if he plays more than 67 games he'll break his goals / points records from his rookie season.

I'll stop now since my posts would be better in a "Player discussion" thread than a trade thread.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
disagree! He has a great offensive game and has showed it in team sweden and in the national junior team and glimts in the nhl. He isnt a pure goalscorer though but assists and create space for linemates counts too.

He has played in a oilers team who has been a bottom team in the nhl with mixed linemates, spending to much time in own zone to defence.

Belanger ruined 1 season for him and he should have been in Ahl his rookieseason to adapt and building confidence.
Instead he was paralyzed with defensive thinking and wasnt ready for Nhl.

The kid will be fine with a better fit!
Like Omark, it's never the players fault but the ****** circumstances.

Like Omark, excuses come from every nook and cranny.

Too bad. I like PRV, but the Swedish fan boys are insufferable.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:08 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
If MPS couldn't break out playing with Gagner and Hemsky I have my doubts that Bergland is going to be the one to turn that ship around. I think MPS will be a routine 3rd liner scoring in the mid 30's and that's not a bad thing at all.
MPS also never had guys like Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk passing him the puck. Expect him to get a lot more breakaways/odd man rushes next year with one of those two on the ice for over 85% of the game.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:11 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
MPS also never had guys like Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk passing him the puck. Expect him to get a lot more breakaways/odd man rushes next year with one of those two on the ice for over 85% of the game.
Even if he could finish what makes you think that the Blues top 2 defenders will be on the ice with a 3rd liner like Paajarvi?

If Paajarvi even had average finishing skills he would still be an Oiler.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:11 PM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
schultz and petry are just as good at breakout passes...

mps will look better because he's on a better team next i have no doubt, but he's not going to become something he's not, which is a prolific goal scorer

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:16 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Even if he could finish what makes you think that the Blues top 2 defenders will be on the ice with a 3rd liner like Paajarvi?

If Paajarvi even had average finishing skills he would still be an Oiler.
Pietrangelo plays 25Min a night on the 1st pairing, Shattenkirk plays 21 on the second pairing.(I was a little off on my calculations they only play roughly 77%) That's 46 minutes of the game. I'm sure MPS will be in the ice a few times with them during the game.

Last edited by raab: 07-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old
07-14-2013, 04:20 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post

mps will look better because he's on a better team next i have no doubt, but he's not going to become something he's not, which is a prolific goal scorer
No they're really not... Whitney was by far our best passer and he's now gone from the organization.

Old
07-14-2013, 04:29 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Up sell Perron, Down sell Paajarvi we will all have to wait for the season to see how the trade works out.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:50 PM
McClelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

Lucky me who has a norwegian passport!

Chill out man and seek anger management

If you like prv , then take a stand for him instead of childish personal atacks. 22 years old and already throwned under the bus.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:51 PM
oilerfan17

I don't see how Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk are going to increase Paajarvi's goal totals. You could just as easily say that his totals are going to drop once he's separated from Gagner, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, et al. Since when was Paajarvi good at breakaways anyways?

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:02 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:

Not really... Petry is effective at moving the puck with his feet and Schultz isn't a great stretch passer. He's good in tight with the puck but not great on the stretch pass. As Raab said Whitney had, by far, the best stretch pass on the entire team... It's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
I don't see how Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk are going to increase Paajarvi's goal totals. You could just as easily say that his totals are going to drop once he's separated from Gagner, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, et al. Since when was Paajarvi good at breakaways anyways?
I don't think you'll find many players in the NHL who would actually see an increase in production playing for the Blues under Hitchcock but you have to take youth into account, he's not done growing as a player. Him and Berglund have shown some really good chemistry internationally I'll be interested to see if that translates over to NHL sized ice.

Being able to utilize his speed through the neutral zone will help any team, it opens up ice, gets you zone entry.

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:09 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

Dude, bringing up Omark and the "Swede-fanbase" crap in this... That's insufferable.

How many Swedes in here fall under this kind of behavior? Maybe some (Swede or not imo) are not happy with the trade and are arguing against it, by default that means that they need to argue for Paajarvi.

Others, like myself, thinks it is unfair to go all out and bash the hell out of a player just because he got traded away from the team. I am not crying over the fact that he was traded, I like the return, but I think it's crappy behavior to throw him under a bus just because he's going out of town and I will answer to those who do so based on unjustified arguments.

What did you add to this discussion again?

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:17 PM
B A T M A N*

Dat potential doe

B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I like Perron but I'm if the goal was to add more size and grit to the top 6 than he's only a marginal improvement there. Add to that the Oilers traded one of, if not their best bargaining chip to get Perron and you see why I have mixed emotions about this deal. Yes, they did get the better player in return, and in that context they won the deal, but in terms of the big picture I'm not sure it was the best course of action available.
I'm not convinced they got the better player.

They might have got the more productive player. And that might be all they need.

But...Mags has the makings to be a strong, steady all around player.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:20 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post

They might have got the more productive player. And that might be all they need.

We have to stop banking on potential. Perron is the better player now. Paajarvi is a fine player, this trade works for both sides.

OilDrop37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:24 PM
B A T M A N*

Perron>>>>>Paajarvi and always will be.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Topkatz

If the oilers upgrade as a team (trading gagner for a more suited centre for example) the oilers win this deal by a wide margin. Its very difficult to predict where MPS will progress to still. He could be anywhere from top 6 forward to bust, most likely somewhere in between. When I saw MPS play I was nearly always left wanting more but he still has time on his side to develop. This time last year though I had serious doubts about his level of play

Topkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:44 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

How's Paajarvi going to get breakaway passes when he's too scared to cheat offensively? We're talking about a player who regularly flies the offensive zone. He's the reverse Ryan Jones.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:56 PM
SometimesY

Quote:

Agree. Really wish we had kept him with the Oilers.

SometimesY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Psychoil

Quote:

Lol! Dude come on, piets is better at breaking out than both our players combined.

There's not one player in our old nw division that has his first break out pass, maybe suter

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

I'm curious about your take on this. We've had many discussions on the impacts of players missing out on development and for instance through injury and how hard it it is to come back from lost time.

imo Paajarvi was largely lost in space in 11-12 and for some reason it was like a missed year where he didn't progress. I think this has put him behind where he could be otherwise.

You think he will overcome this but I'm not so convinced. I'm also concerned that Paajarvi's peripheral and uncommitted play for a whole year was a reaction to getting his bell seriously rung a year earlier.

Tentative has no place in the NHL. Players that are become non players in a hurry.

Theres a substantial difference between these respective players tendency to go into the hard areas. Paajarvi has mad some adjustments in this still many games where he doesn't show in the paint.

This is playiing shy, still.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:36 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
How's Paajarvi going to get breakaway passes when he's too scared to cheat offensively? We're talking about a player who regularly flies the offensive zone. He's the reverse Ryan Jones.
This

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
The bookend of this is he's not comfortable being outlet player and going after the puck if it requires him being hit. This is a big concern for a player who's main attribute is break speed. He really compromises one of the few offensive gifts he brings.

Its funny that theres one play people can think of where Gagner backed off a play because of an impending Steve Ott hit which I'll take with the grain of salt of trying to stay in one piece.

In 11-12, and at other times Paajarvi made a habit of making it look like pucks were out of reach, couldn't get to it, or would bobble it etc. At times he looked like a football receiver not willing to make a catch because he didn't want to take the hit. He would try to disguise that but when 80% of pucks headed your way in 50/50 situations end up on an opposition stick something is wrong with battle. Something is wrong with your commitment when you're one of the speediest players around losing races to pucks so readily. This kid plays scared a lot of the time.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:39 PM
B A T M A N*

If we can somehow get Couts now, I don't think our top 6 can be considered "one-dimensional" anymore.