HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Drouin vs Barkov

View Poll Results: Barkov of Drouin
Barkov 43 36.44%
Drouin 75 63.56%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

vCash: 500
So Drouin has blown away Huberdeau in a poll and is now beating Barkov... by a lot. Yeah, I think we are stepping into overhyped territory.

Last edited by Howboutthempanthers: 07-13-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Howboutthempanthers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SympathyForTheDevils View Post
I see this a lot and it always puzzles me a little.

I've seen prospects not make the NHL because of their lack of speed, lack of size, suspect decision-making, shoddy work ethic, injuries ... but never because of some kind of deep-seated mental illness that made them want to deke everyone they came by.

Drouin doesn't have a bag of tricks. He has hands. Along with quick skating and fantastic playmaking abilities. Those are tangible elements that are just as useful in the NHL as they are in junior. Maybe he won't deke out defencemen every night, but he'll be able to keep possession of the puck long enough to pass to an open man.

The significant risk with Drouin isn't that his offense won't translate. It's that with his size and very offensive minded game, he might become a defensive liability. On the flipside, Barkov's significant risk is that he might not develop into a dynamic enough offensive player to justify being picked 2nd overall. For a top 3 pick, that's just as scary, if not more so.
Fair enough. I didn't mean he would not make the NHL or bust by any means though, but it seems like his hands and the highlights are what everyone focuses on, and people can become enamored with moves in junior that just don't translate to the pro game. Hands are great to have, obviously, but I've seen a lot of players look pretty while accomplishing very little. Now, obviously he has other skills as well, and how well he hones them and adapts his game will determine how well he does on the league.

I'm not an expert on him by any means and there's a lot of people who know him game better than me, but for some reason I just get the feeling he'll be one of those guys, like a Rick Nash or a Bobby Ryan (though without the size) who is a good player who just leaves you wanting a bit more because they can look so talented on the ice at times

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:56 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
Fair enough. I didn't mean he would not make the NHL or bust by any means though, but it seems like his hands and the highlights are what everyone focuses on, and people can become enamored with moves in junior that just don't translate to the pro game. Hands are great to have, obviously, but I've seen a lot of players look pretty while accomplishing very little. Now, obviously he has other skills as well, and how well he hones them and adapts his game will determine how well he does on the league.

I'm not an expert on him by any means and there's a lot of people who know him game better than me, but for some reason I just get the feeling he'll be one of those guys, like a Rick Nash or a Bobby Ryan (though without the size) who is a good player who just leaves you wanting a bit more because they can look so talented on the ice at times
The comparison you're looking for is Alex Semin.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
So Drouin has blown away Huberdeau in a poll and is now beating Barkov... by a lot. Yeah, I think we are stepping into overhyped territory.
Drouin beat Huberdeau in a poll that asked who do people think will be better in 5 years....

Btw Drouin was ranked ahead of Barkov in virtually every single prospects ranking list, just because Florida needed a center doesn't mean they took the better player.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:22 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Drouin, Barkov was drafted for need not bpa.

BOLD MacT Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:29 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

As much as I disliked the pick, people are boring Drouin because of one pratice video? The way Drouin played in the Q wont translate well to NHL. He will need to adapt, and thats what worries me. What kind of player will he become then?

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:42 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
As much as I disliked the pick, people are boring Drouin because of one pratice video? The way Drouin played in the Q wont translate well to NHL. He will need to adapt, and thats what worries me. What kind of player will he become then?
He'll be playing with Stamkos and St.Louis, he put up good numbers by default. Barkov was still a great pick but I would personally rather have Jones or Drouin over him. That being said he could end up the best player in the 2013 draft for all we know.

BOLD MacT Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:45 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Players with high hockey IQ usually adapt fast, add that with amazing hands and he'll be fine. Why do people think because he has great hands he's going to be trying to pull dangles left and right? he didn't even do that in Junior....

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Why, because most people feel like he's better than two of Florida's prospect?

Drouin is probably the most naturaly gifted player to be drafted since... Kane? Crosby? He has great character too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as one of the top players in the league in the next few years.

While Barkov is good, I see him more as a two-way force in the future. A bigger Bergeron, maybe, a tad better offensively.

Quote:
These were the exact same question marks when it came to Huberdeau a couple of years ago and he adapted just fine. Drouin is built thicker than Huberdeau and has, in my opinion, a more complete skill set and a higher talent level. I don't think he'll have that much of an issue to adapt.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:48 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

The poll could have included Jones too.

The comparisons have already started.

Expectations on what Barkov does or does not do in the NHL have intensified with Tallon passing on these 2 studs.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:58 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 2394
I'd have taken Barkov 2nd, and probably first. Going to be a beauty.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:01 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Players with high hockey IQ usually adapt fast, add that with amazing hands and he'll be fine. Why do people think because he has great hands he's going to be trying to pull dangles left and right? he didn't even do that in Junior....
Because when you see him in the Q, he has the puck on his stick for way to long. That's never gonna happen in the NHL. They way he moves around players in the Q, will kill him in the NHL. He has tremendous talent, but those plays will one day get him hurt IMO, unless he can adapt.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Yzlamic Extremist
Johnny Ugly

Quote:
Because when you see him in the Q, he has the puck on his stick for way to long. That's never gonna happen in the NHL. They way he moves around players in the Q, will kill him in the NHL. He has tremendous talent, but those plays will one day get him hurt IMO, unless he can adapt.
He was bored in the Q, IMO. I don't think he would have ever tried those moves on a regular basis if he wasn't. If you watched the World Juniors, he didn't do anything crazy, and yet he still managed to find a way to produce despite playing against better competition as an underager. I don't see his deking being an issue with his adaption, however I see his strength to be a bit of an issue. Overall, he has the elusiveness and agility to avoid big hits and potential injuries. He'll also be learning from Martin St. Louis, who has avoided injury all his career despite his size.

Yzlamic Extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:48 PM
SympathyForTheDevils

Quote:
He has the puck on his stick that long because he can. Now, he's gonna have to go through the grueling adaptation of not having the puck on his stick quite as long.

People often forget that offensive dynamo-type prospects are the ones that tend to make an impact in the NHL the fastest. It's a much shorter learning curve than, say, being a Selke-level center.

SympathyForTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote