HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

Oh and for the record, players make about 5.7-6.5m per 10m they make before taxes. Let him go to Russia. I've been there. It's a **** city. I'd rather live in Newark
Russia is a country

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-14-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Part of original quote removed, site rule #1
Old
07-14-2013, 01:16 AM
flyerfanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Peterman View Post
Russia is a country
I'm quite sure he knows that hehe...

Old
07-14-2013, 10:43 AM
mantis toboggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Watching the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals series (Classic NHL) on the NHL Network...my god I (selectively) forgot just how bad our goaltending was .....Ben Eager scoring the game winning goal on Leighton in game 2 was brutal...

Ugh..
If emery wasn't injured we would have won, no doubt in my mind.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:28 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogenIsTheMan View Post
If emery wasn't injured we would have won, no doubt in my mind.
All we needed was average goaltending and no doubt Emery could have at least provided that! The goaltending in that series for both teams was beyond crapola. Niemi made more situational saves in some of the key games but otherwise he was pedestrian. Leighton however was so brutal....he played in back of his net all series and looked timid. His angles sucked.

It's funny how with the resigning of Emery again Holmgren pretty much implied that with Emery we probably could have won the cup. But that is no secret although it's baffling how after that debacle of a series Holmgren kept Leighton around!

Old
07-14-2013, 12:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Watching the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals series (Classic NHL) on the NHL Network...my god I (selectively) forgot just how bad our goaltending was .....Ben Eager scoring the game winning goal on Leighton in game 2 was brutal...

Ugh..
Right after Hossa scored. Can't give up that goal.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
07-14-2013, 12:21 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Right after Hossa scored. Can't give up that goal.
There were so many totally deflating goals that series. The fact that it went to six, and almost seven was a feat in itself.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

If that team has an NHL goaltender in net for the Finals people would have them in the discussion as one of the best teams since the lockout.

07-14-2013, 01:54 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If that team has an NHL goaltender in net for the Finals people would have them in the discussion as one of the best teams since the lockout.
They were a shootout loss in game 82 from missing the playoffs. They probably wouldn't have been remembered as one of the best teams post-2005 lockout, but it would have been remembered as one of the most remarkable runs in playoff history (making the playoffs due to the shootout and coming back from from 0-3 down against the Bruins... to ultimately win the Cup).

07-14-2013, 02:24 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
They were a shootout loss in game 82 from missing the playoffs. They probably wouldn't have been remembered as one of the best teams post-2005 lockout, but it would have been remembered as one of the most remarkable runs in playoff history (making the playoffs due to the shootout and coming back from from 0-3 down against the Bruins... to ultimately win the Cup).
Yeah agreed, that team barely snuck in as the 7th seed. Then Briere went off, Pronger put the team on his back, and everything seemed to come together during the playoffs. Even the goaltending was good during the Montreal series although that was mostly Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, and Carle playing 50 minutes a game.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Yeah that's probably more accurate.

However, that team was picked to be in the Finals before the season began by many people. They had the talent, but underachieved under Stevens and his "who needs to be in shape?" philosophy.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:46 PM
hockeyfreak7

On paper, the Flyers in 2010 were one of the best since the lockout. On the ice? Yeah, different story.

If they had won the Cup, I do think the on-paper lineup would have certainly put them in that discussion just like it did with the Kings. They were an eight seed, let's not forget.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:54 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
On paper, the Flyers in 2010 were one of the best since the lockout. On the ice? Yeah, different story.

If they had won the Cup, I do think the on-paper lineup would have certainly put them in that discussion just like it did with the Kings. They were an eight seed, let's not forget.
Two words: goalie carousel. If Emery played through the season injury-free, the team (arguably) wouldn't have needed the shootout heroics on game 82 to get into the playoffs. Of course, every team has "what if's" every season, and we can pin the Finals mostly on Leighton becoming Swiss cheese, but the team went into super-D when Leighton took over, and that was their strength through the playoffs.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Two words: goalie carousel. If Emery played through the season injury-free, the team (arguably) wouldn't have needed the shootout heroics on game 82 to get into the playoffs. Of course, every team has "what if's" every season, and we can pin the Finals mostly on Leighton becoming Swiss cheese, but the team went into super-D when Leighton took over, and that was their strength through the playoffs.
if they were a higher seed who knows what happens. its all about matchups and things fell pretty well for the Flyers that playoff run.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if they were a higher seed who knows what happens. its all about matchups and things fell pretty well for the Flyers that playoff run.
Yeah I remember the Penguins were really good again that year but Halak beat them giving us a pretty easy ECF.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:17 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Something to remember now I think. We don't actually need to have the best goalie in the league, just a some decent who can bale you out now and then. Obviously the D we have now is nowhere near as good as back then but if they can play well together you never know...

Old
07-14-2013, 05:41 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Let's not get carried away here, Emery played ok, but the team as a whole including him was bad enough to warrant John Steven's getting fired halfway through the season BEFORE we picked up Leighton. Who knows what had happened had he stayed healthy.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:52 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if Emery doesn't get hurt and they were a higher seed who knows what happens. its all about matchups and things fell pretty well for the Flyers that playoff run.
Exactly what I was going to post. (with my little addition in red )

Old
07-14-2013, 05:54 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Let's not get carried away here, Emery played ok, but the team as a whole including him was bad enough to warrant John Steven's getting fired halfway through the season BEFORE we picked up Leighton. Who knows what had happened had he stayed healthy.
Yea, pretty good point here too. Leighton came in and played pretty well in the regular season, actually had better numbers than Emery.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
IIRC scoring was the problem at the beginning of the season, not defense/goaltending.

Our bottom pairing was pretty terrible in the finals as well.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:33 PM
achdumeingute

Carbomb brings the Cup to a Rush concert

Kind of a little treat for those who went to the concert in Chicago on 6-28. Fun for hockey fans...and I'm sure those 3 good canadian boys enjoyed it as well (the privilege of being a "rock star"). Cut it off after 2:20 if you don't enjoy the music.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:50 PM
sg12lw

anyone watching game 1 vs buffalo from 06 on nhl network right now??

esche is standing on his friggin head...unreal (ive always said he was ever that bad...dont remember this kind of performance though ha)

....oh and sweet jesus do i miss "forsberg to gagne"

Old
07-15-2013, 01:31 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryz4shiz View Post
IIRC scoring was the problem at the beginning of the season, not defense/goaltending.

Our bottom pairing was pretty terrible in the finals as well.
Scoring was atrocious down the stretch. Leighton and the defense actually kept us in games, though we did end up losing many of them by a goal.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:45 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Yea, pretty good point here too. Leighton came in and played pretty well in the regular season, actually had better numbers than Emery.
Emery brought his own numbers down because of his hip issues, though. He tried to play through them for a while. When he was still healthy he was pretty damned good, and he was good in front of a team that was slowly collapsing under Stevens.

Old
07-15-2013, 02:36 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Emery brought his own numbers down because of his hip issues, though. He tried to play through them for a while. When he was still healthy he was pretty damned good, and he was good in front of a team that was slowly collapsing under Stevens.
Didn't he get a shutout his last game with us? The guy is a warrior!

Old
07-15-2013, 06:28 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Kind of a little treat for those who went to the concert in Chicago on 6-28. Fun for hockey fans...and I'm sure those 3 good canadian boys enjoyed it as well (the privilege of being a "rock star"). Cut it off after 2:20 if you don't enjoy the music.

Don't enjoy the music? You'd have to be legally ******** not to like Rush.

Closed Thread