Notices

Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part IX: Offseason

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2013, 05:24 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

vCash: 500
We just can`t forget our #9`s, can`t we?

Old
07-14-2013, 05:29 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Agreed, poor guy gets to play pro sport for a living.

I'd hate to have a job like that having to deal with annoying rumours (which he started) and not having to worry about money.

Tough life
I think we are whining about him now much more than he whined about us. What does it say about us? Go figure

I still love Bobby, no matter how good or bad he was for us, he was still a pretty class act. Wish him all the best (jus`t don`t score against us )
A joke about it here and there is ok, but this have gone way too far.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:53 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
I think we are whining about him now much more than he whined about us. What does it say about us? Go figure

I still love Bobby, no matter how good or bad he was for us, he was still a pretty class act. Wish him all the best (jus`t don`t score against us )
A joke about it here and there is ok, but this have gone way too far.
Opps.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:27 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Opps.
Online Predator Profiling System?

Last edited by Kalvinators: 07-14-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old
07-14-2013, 10:32 AM
rollingdux

Yes, lets move on. Thanks Bobby for your time here and the memories.

Now let's focus on making this current team better. So 2C or top 4D?

Old
07-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Exit Dose

Vet winger should also be a consideration.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:06 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdux View Post
Yes, lets move on. Thanks Bobby for your time here and the memories.

Now let's focus on making this current team better. So 2C or top 4D?
Insert: "There's no 2C or top 4D in the market/we can't afford 2C or top 4D".

Back to Bobby, they should have transformed him into a 2C 'cos they are often cheaper than top line wingers. That way, 2C would have been filled and we could have afforded to keep Bobby

Old
07-14-2013, 11:31 AM
quackquackquack

Did any of you attend the Open House?

I thought that was extremely weird that Bob basically admitted they were going with Sami over Toni because certain "things" are forcing his hand...so a guy who played a handful of games in the NHL over a guy who known shut down defenseman (one of our best defenseman)...idk about that one.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

I put up a wall of text on page 34 about the open house

Old
07-14-2013, 11:58 AM
rollingdux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
I put up a wall of text on page 34 about the open house
It got lost with all the #9 talk.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdux View Post
It got lost with all the #9 talk.
Well, clearly they're playing Vatanen over Lydman because they don't have enough money for Ryan.

It makes sense though. They have to find out if Vatanen can play in the NHL before he finishes his ELC. If they try to keep him in the AHL for the next 2 years he's potentially a flight risk to the KHL. There are too many contracts right now to load up with Lydman and have 8 NHL defenseman. Lydman just lost out having his contract end first. I'd rather have him over Souray or Allen, but we need at least one of those guys and who knows who can be traded.

Again though, BM didn't 100% rule out Lydman from the team, there's some potential move going on out there.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Eddie Shack
The doctor is in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackquackquack View Post

I thought that was extremely weird that Bob basically admitted they were going with Sami over Toni because certain "things" are forcing his hand...so a guy who played a handful of games in the NHL over a guy who known shut down defenseman (one of our best defenseman)...idk about that one.
Please elaborate on your interpretation of what he said or what you think he may have meant. Enquiring minds want to know.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:30 PM
GreatBear

[QUOTE=Ducks DVM;69197565]
It makes sense though. They have to find out if Vatanen can play in the NHL before he finishes his ELC. If they try to keep him in the AHL for the next 2 years he's potentially a flight risk to the KHL. There are too many contracts right now to load up with Lydman and have 8 NHL defenseman. Lydman just lost out having his contract end first. I'd rather have him over Souray or Allen, but we need at least one of those guys and who knows who can be traded.
QUOTE]

According to Cap Geek, Vatanen's ELC ends after the 2013/2014 season. It appears that during the first of his ELC's seasons that he played in Finland. I am not certain how this works under the CBA, but it appears to be a strategy used for certain European players. If Cap Geek is correct, then it makes sense to see if Vatanen can play in the NHL this year.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:30 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Not to be that guy but here's a thought on the whole Ryan issue:

He was traded was cap reasons AND because of his play.

Keeping Bobby and re-signing Belesky and Palmieri would have but us really close to the cap. Too close for a team that has a couple of veterans who are very likely to get hurt at some point next season (Souray and Koivu). As much as I wanted to not believe it, Bobby was on borrowed time as soon as Perry was signed. Plus with his public dissatisfaction with his name being thrown about in trade rumors it was a good chance he would bolt after his contract so it makes sense to move him while his value is still high.

But you can also look at his play this past season and make the argument that he doesn't mesh anymore. I disagree but the evidence is apparent (I think he just had an off year much like Getzy the year before). He's a natural right winger and has been stifled by Perry and Selanne being ahead of him though there's a good chance he could have finally moved to his natural wing this year. If a dramatic change was needed Bobby fit the bill yes. I for won feel his potential is still very high and we haven't seen the best of him yet and would have but now we'll never know. He may have been streaky but goals are goals. I think he would have been a hell of a lot less streaky if he had consistent power play time. His even strength goal totals are incredible and when he needed to score a big goal he usually did.

The thing that kills me about this debate though is how much we're putting a microscope under this past season as if that's the only measure for his worth. It's not like the previous four and a half seasons didn't matter and you're only as good as your last season. Not when you're only 26. There's a lot of game left in Bobby and I have no doubt he's going to score a ton of goals in Ottawa. Silfverberg (and for the love of god can we stop calling him Slif, it sounds so stupid especially since the F is silent. It would be like pronouncing Beauch like bee-atch.) may very well put up the kind of numbers Bobby did this past season but the potential production out of all three assets down the road should great;y outweigh two more years of Bobby.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackquackquack View Post

Yes, actually lets return to DVM`s write up about the Open House. A lot of interesting things were there. Although i`m dissapointed that question about #2C wasn`t brought up.

As for Vats and Lyd:

i think the issue here could be that Vatanen is a offensive guy, whyle Lyd plays more of a shutdown guy. Defensemen lack of points was one of the issues last year. Personally i`d love Lyd back, but we are pretty packed there (sadly, without top end talent if Fowler can`t come back to awesome)

Old
07-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Yes, actually lets return to DVM`s write up about the Open House. A lot of interesting things were there. Although i`m dissapointed that question about #2C wasn`t brought up.

As for Vats and Lyd:

i think the issue here could be that Vatanen is a offensive guy, whyle Lyd plays more of a shutdown guy. Defensemen lack of points was one of the issues last year. Personally i`d love Lyd back, but we are pretty packed there (sadly, without top end talent if Fowler can`t come back to awesome)
Come back to awesome? He played better last season than he ever had. I get that you're talking about the offense, but that's kind of a misleading statement.

07-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Well, clearly they're playing Vatanen over Lydman because they don't have enough money for Ryan.

Again though, BM didn't 100% rule out Lydman from the team, there's some potential move going on out there.
I agree. Next season is a good time to see exactly what we have with Sami. They probably don't want to consider moving him, because he has such an intriguing skillset. This next season should cement their opinion of him, and let them know whether he belongs in their long-term plans. Lindholm is someone that, I'm pretty sure, is already in those plans. Fowler, too. Everyone else(save Beauchemin, who I think will retire here) is likely a short-term consideration unless they can prove otherwise(Sbisa being the guy I'm thinking of here as a possible long-term).

Old
07-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Come back to awesome? He played better last season than he ever had. I get that you're talking about the offense, but that's kind of a misleading statement.
I think your 2nd sentence is also misleading.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I think your 2nd sentence is also misleading.
It isn't.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:24 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Let's not forget Toni will be 36 when the season starts. A lot of people had issue when he has signed to a three-year deal initially because of his age. I know that's not that old but he doesn't necessarily play younger than he is.

Simply though Sami should bring more to the team than Lydman. He has been dominate in the previous three years. He's 22 and ready to take the next step. Vatanen instead pf Lydman makes us better.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:26 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
I guess I'm a pirate.
Is your favorite exercise system Pirates?

Old
07-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Is your favorite exercise system Pirates?

Old
07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

And I thought Sojourn made horrible puns....

Old
07-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Anyone else find it ironic that this thread was part IX?

I wonder if we can afford part X

Closed Thread