HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer Skates

Old
07-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Awisko

vCash: 500
Bauer Skates

Hey guys!
Been reading these forums for a while now and just decided to sign up. I have a question, I have been out of playing organized hockey for about 5-6 years now, and decided to join the adult rec league in the area (Kitchener-waterloo). Because of the huge gap, I have to purchase all new equipment. The main thing that i'm having trouble with is skates. my price range is probably around 250$, might spend an extra 50 if there is a huge increase in quality of the skate. Anywho, the 2 skates im looking at right now are the Bauer Vapor x60, and the Bauer Vapor x3.0. Both retail at my local sportchek for 199.99, so im wondering if there is any difference between the two. Any others you may suggest? I play center and occasionally left wing. Thanks in advance guys!

Awisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:58 PM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awisko View Post
Hey guys!
Been reading these forums for a while now and just decided to sign up. I have a question, I have been out of playing organized hockey for about 5-6 years now, and decided to join the adult rec league in the area (Kitchener-waterloo). Because of the huge gap, I have to purchase all new equipment. The main thing that i'm having trouble with is skates. my price range is probably around 250$, might spend an extra 50 if there is a huge increase in quality of the skate. Anywho, the 2 skates im looking at right now are the Bauer Vapor x60, and the Bauer Vapor x3.0. Both retail at my local sportchek for 199.99, so im wondering if there is any difference between the two. Any others you may suggest? I play center and occasionally left wing. Thanks in advance guys!
I would imagine you mean the new x60 from the apx2 line and not the 2009 x60, correct?

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:02 PM
AIREAYE

Since you've been reading around, you've seen this right?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1099867

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Awisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 View Post
I would imagine you mean the new x60 from the apx2 line and not the 2009 x60, correct?
I would imagine so, i'm buying them brand new from sportchek, so I guess so.

And yes i have read that sticky!

Old
07-12-2013, 01:58 PM
KareyPrice

Bauer X:60s they are an older model behind the APX line but they were top of the line skates and great. The 3.0 is from the APX line so newer but much lower. So the X:60s are top end skates compared to 3.0s which are about mid line.

Edit crap just saw thee above about the X:60s from the apx2 line and if they arent the 2009 ones go with which ever ones fit better and feel better because they are about the same quality

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Awisko

Hey!

So today I picked up the x:60's, in size 9.5D. Tried on the 10's but were too big in the boot. When my skates are all laced up and what not, when I step my heel ever so slightly rises up (about 2mm). Is this normal? I got the skates baked then chilled in them for about 10 minutes.

Edit: there is no horizontal movement, just the slight vertical shift up when walking, haven't had a chance to try them on the ice yet

Last edited by Awisko: 07-13-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old
07-13-2013, 07:39 PM
AIREAYE

Nope, you need good heel lock. Tough to tell though without baking.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Awisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Nope, you need good heel lock. Tough to tell though without baking.
I did get them baked though, only once. I'm planning on skating in them on Monday or Tuesday to see how they feel on the ice. If I'm not satisfied I'm going to bring them back to sportchek and try on a size 9. Can't stress though that nothing else moves in the skate and my big toe can feather the top/front of the boot without much effort. Only the slight 2mm upward movement when I lift my foot back up after taking a step. Should also note the inside material of the skate and the Bauer skate socks I'm wearing seem very silky and not very resistant to movement. Could this have an impact on why its doing this? Thanks for all the help guys I'll keep you updated.

Edit: shouldn't say it raises after I lift my foot up, more like when my toes are pushing the foot back up, there's no movement if my foot is in the air and I wiggle it around

Last edited by Awisko: 07-13-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old
07-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Greasy Sliders

I think it might have been a better idea to let them chill longer. When I do mine they tell me 24 hours till I can skate on them.

And make sure whatever socks you wore when they were baked are the ones you wear skating.

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Awisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Sliders View Post
I think it might have been a better idea to let them chill longer. When I do mine they tell me 24 hours till I can skate on them.

And make sure whatever socks you wore when they were baked are the ones you wear skating.
Haven't skated on them at all, just heated, wore them for 10 minutes with the socks I'm gonna wear. It will be 72 hours till I first skate in them. I did walk around a little during the moulding, because the guy never said I couldn't and this is the first time I bought skates in over 5 years lol. Any suggestions?

Old
07-13-2013, 11:30 PM
AIREAYE

Well, once you skate on them, they're yours. No returns.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Awisko

Quote:
Well, once you skate on them, they're yours. No returns.
Apparently my buddy has done that after he skated on them once and got them baked, he asked for an exchange for a similar size, not a whole refund.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:12 AM
AIREAYE

Don't be expecting it though. you can't exchange a used product for a new one straight up...

Old
07-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Awisko

What do you suggest I do then? Bring them back and try on a size smaller and see if they're better before I skate on the pair I have now?

Old
07-14-2013, 04:09 PM
AIREAYE

It sounds like you didn't get a skate that fits, plain and simple. Did you try on a bunch of different skates?

Old
07-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Awisko

Quote:
It sounds like you didn't get a skate that fits, plain and simple. Did you try on a bunch of different skates?
I tried on the 9.5's and the 10's in the vapor line. The supreme is said to have a wider fit, which in my case doesnt sound like it would help as my heel in the skinnier vapors rises 2mm every so often, not really looking at rbk or ccm skates

Old
07-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Fanned On It

Man heel lock (or the lack thereof) is like my arch enemy. I've never found a skate that completely locks my heel in as I have very boney heels and skinny calves/ankles.

OT: if your heel is slipping, the skates don't fit. Heel-slippage can completely wreck your game as you never feel 100% stable in your skates. Hopefully you're not like me and it's just a matter of going down a size. You really should have made sure that your heel was locked in beforehand though, because most stores won't take a sharpened/baked skate back and give you full value.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:50 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awisko View Post
I tried on the 9.5's and the 10's in the vapor line. The supreme is said to have a wider fit, which in my case doesnt sound like it would help as my heel in the skinnier vapors rises 2mm every so often, not really looking at rbk or ccm skates
That's your mistake there then, you should always try on several fits if you are unsure which one you will need, especially as a beginner.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Awisko

Hmm, its not really like its slipping, my foot doesn't shift forward or side to side, the heel is pretty damn well secured in the boot. The main issue is trying on a new pair, if I should do that or just skate in the ones I have now tomorrow for a public skate to see how they feel. What would you do?

Old
07-15-2013, 01:34 PM
AIREAYE

If you haven't skated in them yet, I would contact the store and clarify the return policy. If there is no possibility of return, then you're SOL and should consider starting over and getting properly fitted. I can't emphasize that enough.

Old
07-15-2013, 02:48 PM
soldier0829

I can relate. I recently picked up a pair of new skates and I sat with my feet in a pair of 7's for what had to be 45 minutes. They felt great, seemed to fit perfectly, no problems. We were about to bake the 7's and, on a whim, I asked to see some 6.5's just to be sure. Wouldn't you know it, the 6.5's fit even better!

Sometimes it is hard to judge how much room you have in new skates, especially models lines you are not familiar with. The lesson I learned is that from now on I'm going to pick the ones I think fit then try on the size smaller just to be sure I can't fit in them. At least then I know I went as small as I could go.

Good luck with your sizing!

soldier0829 is offline   Reply With Quote