HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2013 Thread I

Old
07-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Velociraptor

vCash: 500

Joe Jerwa, D

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:13 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Some observations midway through the drafting of MLD 2013 starters:

Färjestad BK
Milan Lucic - Billy Reay - Carson Cooper
My favorite line in terms of chemistry. Grit, two-way pivot and finisher. Lucic in only six seasons of work already has 54 playoff points in 84 NHL postseason games; he wasn't top-6 in Bruins scoring their cup year but led all Bruins in PIMs on their run, rocking and rolling. He'll free up space for career 2nd line pivot Reay to feed "Shovel Shot" timely passes. I just wish this was a 2nd line given their career and/or style of play (except for Cooper).

Maine Mariners
Thomas Vanek - Syl Apps Jr. - Adam Deadmarsh
"Don't panic, here comes Vanek!" A swift skating 1st liner twice top-5 in NHL goals with a three-times top-10 assist pass-first pivot and the ultimate glue guy when healthy in Deader, one of my all-time fav balls-to-the-wall intense wingers, injury prone because of how he plays.

Boston Olympics
Cory Stillman - Herb Jordan - Scott Mellanby
I always thought of Stillman as a loose cannon, like Wendel Clark, often out of position but a guy who makes things happen! Mellanby is a responsible ballast and Jordan was a renowned stickhandling goal scorer, on a line built here to let him hog the puck until such time and space as Stillman might get it or dish it. This is a hard line to defend against because it's built on unpredictability.

Vancouver Millionaires
Marc Tardif- Robbie Ftorek -Real "Buddy" Cloutier
Valeri Kamensky-Robert MacDougall-Loui Eriksson

Wow, how the hell can you call Hardyvan123 a rookie GM? He has re-united Quebec's prolific 1-2-3 Line and has skill, scoring and two-way punch on the second line. I'd expect this top-6 to hold its own against any in hockey history for stretches at least. Full marks.

Hamburg Crocodiles
Steve Vickers - André Lacroix - Wally Hergesheimer
Venjamin Alexandrov - Charlie Burns - Konstantin Loktev

My fav top-6 in terms of picks not chemistry, as I'd think Vickers an ideal 2nd/3rd liner all time, Alexandrov a prototypical first liner, especially with "Garbage Collector" Wally on right wing.

Saskatoon Sheiks
Shayne Corson - Claude Giroux - Johnny Gagnon
Slava Kozlov - Normie Himes - Blaine Stoughton

This top-6 will score and score often. The intensity, hard work and intangibles are all there. Corson has always seemed a bit miscast on a top line yet the spitfire manages to hold his own time and again!

Cornwall Royals
Alexei Zhitnik - John Van Boxmeer
Tomas Kaberle - Mario Marois

I love this blueline for its puck moving ability but I personally have seen all four suck in defensive play! I'd recommend two defensive defensemen be added to the top-4 and bump a Kaberle down at least. Certainly this blueline will help the offense score goals, though it might make the goaltenders have fits!

Philadelphia Phantoms
Dave Babych-Bingo Kampman
Joe Watson

This top three is championship material. Physical, responsible and skilled. It's a good core to build on.

Last edited by VanIslander: 07-14-2013 at 06:23 AM.
VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:24 AM
BubbaBoot

The Boston Olympics select RW Petr Sykora.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Saskatoon Sheiks selects Gord Fraser, D

Quote:
“Defenceman Gord Fraser was a physical player who could also contribute on offence… Before the next season began, the rugged defender was traded to the Chicago Black Hawks who were also entering the league.
Fraser scored 14 goals for the Hawks in 1926-27 and was an intimidating presence on defence. He began the next season in Chicago before he was traded back to the Cougars for Duke Keats. His offensive totals decreased, but Fraser continued to play tough in his own end.”

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post

Joe Jerwa, D
he was the other guy i was considering with my last pick, good score.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

I'm traveling Monday for most of the day and will send my next pick to someone later tonight around 10pm my time. PST

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:16 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Big Red selects Marian Stastny, the skilled right winger who was a Czechoslovakian all-star twice, four times top-10 in CSSR scoring including third in 1974-75 behind only Hlinka and Novy and first in 1978-79, outscoring second place Martinec by double digits, and took home the postseason championship that year as well with 20 points in 14 playoff games. He had 322 points in 238 league games in his home country. More significantly, he won two golds against the mighty Soviets in the 1976 and 1977 world championships, scoring 35 points in the tourney between 1975-79. He scored 5 points in the 1976 Canada Cup and 11 points in 6 games in the 1980 Olympics. These accomplishments were backed up by a couple of great years in the NHL. He scored 168 NHL points over his first two NHL seasons, including 17 in 16 playoff games on a conference finals run, going to the NHL all-star game after his sophomore NHL season at age 30. Then he suffered a major shoulder injury that slowed down a red hot career.

Quote:
Marian is the oldest of the three Stastny brothers who terrorized the NHL in the early 1980's when they formed one of the most feared lines. Both Anton and Peter always insisted that Marian was the most talented of them all. A talent that he displayed briefly in the NHL.

Marian was born in Bratislava, Slovakia where he played for Slovan Bratislava between 1970-80 (and a half season for Dukla Jihlava). He scored 236 goals in 369 league games and represented Czechoslovakia 122 times, scoring 54 goals. He represented his country in the 1971 and 1972 World European Junior Championships and the World Championships between 1975-79. He also played in the 1980 Olympics and 1976 Canada Cup. During that time he was a two time World Champion (1976 & 77) as well as a league champion in 1979.

Marian didn't disappoint, scoring 89 points, at times reunited on a line with his brothers. Peter exploded for 139 points, and Anton had 72 points. All in all the trio combined for 300 points. The Stastny's continued their terrific pace in the playoffs making it to the semifinals before finally losing to the eventual champions NY Islanders.

Marian's sophomore season in 1982-83 began at a torrid pace. After 33 games he was second in the league in points only behind Wayne Gretzky. Marian had 58 points, 26 goals and 32 assists. He cooled off significantly, and then had his season end in Quebec's 60th game of the season. Skating at home against the defending champions NY Islanders Marian's two goals gave the Nordiques to a 4-1 3rd period lead. While carrying the puck into the Islanders zone, he was crunched to the boards by Greg Gilbert. He remained on the ice, in a lot of pain. Later on, in the dressing room, he learned that he had suffered a badly dislocated shoulder that would sideline him for the remainder of the season. His dream season was over with 36 goals, 43 assists and 79 points in only 60 games.

Marian never recovered fully from the shoulder injury and slowed down considerably in 1983-84, scoring 52 points. (20 goals and 32 assists) in 68 games.

Marian didn't make his debut in the NHL until he was almost 29-years old and on the downhill of his career, but despite that he managed to score almost a point per game. He had 294 points (121 goals and 173 assists) in 322 regular season games and 22 points in 32 playoff games.
http://quebecnordiques.blogspot.kr/2...n-stastny.html

Old
07-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Cornwall Royals
Alexei Zhitnik - John Van Boxmeer
Tomas Kaberle - Mario Marois

I love this blueline for its puck moving ability but I personally have seen all four suck in defensive play! I'd recommend two defensive defensemen be added to the top-4 and bump a Kaberle down at least. Certainly this blueline will help the offense score goals, though it might make the goaltenders have fits!
None of Zhitnik, Van Boxmeer, or Marois should be considered below average for this level. I would agree that I don't have that stud defensive guy, Zhitnik is pretty good all-around. Van Boxmeer and Marois started off as inconsistent defensive players, they developed into good 2-way defenders during their primes.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Saskatoon Sheiks selects Gord Fraser, D

That's Jack Walker

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:25 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
The Phantoms select C Dave Gagner. He isn't the best offensive center available, but he is going to be the glue guy goalscorer and physical presence between Prospal and Sullivan. For a glue guy, his offense is very good.

Can someone notify Hedberg?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:30 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Can someone notify Hedberg?
Done.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
That's Jack Walker
it was supposed to be this pic

dunno what jack is doing there.. I was in a hurry

Old
07-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Hamburg selects LW Harry "Moose" Watson and C Erich Kuhnhackl

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Hamburg Crocodiles
Steve Vickers - André Lacroix - Wally Hergesheimer
Venjamin Alexandrov - Charlie Burns - Konstantin Loktev

My fav top-6 in terms of picks not chemistry, as I'd think Vickers an ideal 2nd/3rd liner all time, Alexandrov a prototypical first liner, especially with "Garbage Collector" Wally on right wing.
Alexandrov played by far his best hockey with Loktev and Almetov. While I couldn't re-unite the line entirely, I think Burns has a similar skillset to Almetov. I like that Vickers brings some size and toughness to the Lacroix line.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:59 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
In need of an offensive defenseman, the Philadelphia Phantoms select D Mark Streit

5x Top 12 Points by Defensemen(3, 7, 8, 9, 12)
3x Top 13 AS Voting(10, 13, 13)
3x Top 13 Norris Voting(8, 10, 13)
NYI Captain, 2011-2013
2009 NHL All Star Game Participant
46 Points in 92 WC & Olympics Games

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:01 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Big Red selects Jack Marks, a then-big 6'1 180 lbs winger and defenseman who was a star in three different leagues in three consecutive seasons. He was a 1st team all-star in the FAHL (1906) as a top-5 scorer as a 20 year old. Later that year he scored two goals as a ringer for New Glasgow's Stanley Cup challenge in December of the 1906-07 season, the year he became a 2nd team all-star in the IHL, top-5 in assists, 23 points in 14 games. Then he was a 1st team all-star the following season in the OPHL with a goal a game average. He appeared in another Stanley Cup challenge in 1908. He was third in CHA scoring before they disbanded in 1910. He then went on the NHA. He had previously scored two goals in a Stanley Cup challenge game loss to the Montreal Wanderers in December of 1906, but his greatest glory was during his six years in the NHA, winning back to back Stanley Cups in 1912 and 1913, awarded two retroSelkes for those two seasons by Ultimate Hockey. As a 27 year old in 1913 he scored 18 goals in 19 games playing right wing on a line with Joe Malone and Tommy Smith. Marks then scored 2 goals in the Stanley Cup championship game win. Then he scored two more goals in a game against Victoria, which was to be a Stanley Cup challenge but turned into an exhibition affair because Quebec refused to put the cup on the line, and lost to the Western team, bringing much protest and the commitment in following years to make the Stanley Cup challenge an East versus West contest. His career was on an upward arc until this point (from 1906 to 1913), after which he continued to play hockey well into his thirties, no longer as much of a scorer. Perhaps these were the years he played the position of defense. It was common for vets to move back to the blueline. So, while he scored a lot early in his career, he retired in 1920 having scored 108 goals and 22 assists in 167 top-level games, plus a whopping 319 PIMs. He was known as a clean but tough player who worked hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trail Of the Stanley Cup, Vol. 1
He was at his best when he was the regular right wing on a line with Joe Malone and Tommy Smith... he made a nice balance in their combination play and more than his share of backchecking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
He was a versatile player who could be effective on defence or at left-wing. He was best known as a goal scorer with a tenacious work ethic in the OPHL and NHA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trolley League
While the media was carping on about the dirty play prevalent in the professional leagues, Jack Marks was often praised for propensity to follow the rules. One of the fastest skaters in the OPHL, and a great backchecker, Marks would beat his opponents with his speed rather than with trips or slashes.

Despite his clean play, Marks was a tough player. The one weakness in his game was his shooting ability, it was often said that if he had had a shot like Newsy Lalonde he could have been one of the greatest players of his era.

A native of Brockville Ontario, Jack Marks made his professional debut with the Canadian Soo of the IPHL, and made his first Stanley Cup appearance as a ringer in a losing cause for New Glasgow in 1907. At the start of the 1908 season Roy Brown lured Marks away from Pittsburgh to play for Brantford. Marks appeared again in Stanley Cup competition at the end of the season when Toronto borrowed the speedy winger from Brantford as a substitute.

In 1909 Marks was involved with the rest of his Brantford teammates in the Gourock train derailment. Marks was one of the more seriously injured people on the train and he missed seven games with internal injuries, broken ribs and a broken arm. When he returned to the line-up late in the season, his play was understandably ineffective.

Jack Marks was hired as the Manager of the 1910 edition of the Brantford Braves, but resigned his post when he accepted a $1,000 offer to play with All-Montreal in the newly formed CHA, where he scored seven goals in four games. When the CHA folded Marks made his way back to the OPHL to play once again for Brantford. Marks' stint with Brantford in 1910 only lasted four games before he had his foot broken by a slash from Fred Doherty of Galt and he missed the rest of the season.

After three seasons with Brantford in the OPHL, Marks played the 1911 season with a team in Chicago and also served as that team.s manager. The following year Marks joined the NHA.s Quebec Bulldogs where he won Stanley Cup championships in 1912 and 1913. Marks won his third and final Stanley Cup with the Toronto Arenas of the NHL in 1918 before retiring in 1920.

Last edited by VanIslander: 07-16-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old
07-14-2013, 10:24 PM
BubbaBoot

The Boston Olympics select D Gordie Roberts.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:30 PM
BubbaBoot

Hobnobs has been PMed.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

The Sheiks selects Kirk McLean, G

Old
07-15-2013, 06:54 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

126. Dwight & Velociraptor - Laval Voisins - skipped

127. Hardyvan123 - Vancouver Millionaires - ON THE CLOCK (4 hours, 30 minutes remaining)

128. tony d - Maine Mariners (PM tony d AND Hobnobs.. if tony d ain't back yet)

Old
07-15-2013, 07:28 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

On the way home now. Should be home by 1 est. i can make that pick unless the team currently on the clock makes their pick within the next hour.

07-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Velociraptor

Claude Larose, LW

Old
07-15-2013, 09:29 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Claude Larose, LW

Nice pick, I forgot about him.....but are we still going by the ATD rules of using the dominant position as a given? He's listed as a RWer on both IHDB and Hockey Reference.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Nice pick, I forgot about him.....but are we still going by the ATD rules of using the dominant position as a given? He's listed as a RWer on both IHDB and Hockey Reference.
Ah **** seriously? That's my fourth RW then...

Old
07-15-2013, 10:12 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Ah **** seriously? That's my fourth RW then...
Sorry dude, didn't mean to be a dick....but that's a helluva 4th line RWer anyways.