HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Price vs. Rask (Consider Contracts)

View Poll Results: Which goalie do you take on your team, considering contracts?
Price (5 more years at $6.5 million per) 76 34.08%
Rask (8 more years at $7 million per) 147 65.92%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-13-2013, 03:09 AM
eklunds source

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
The Montreal system is probably the worst for goalie stats. We allow so few shots but all the chances are good scoring chances for the most part. Never really perimeter shots. Not easy to have a great save percentage with that.

Also, people forget that even after the Toronto game, the GMs voted him as the eastern vezina winner.
Do you have any evidence of that being true, at all, or is it just a theory of yours?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:04 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Gotta go with Rask. Sample size for him seems to be large enough, and Price hasn't had season like Rask had last year. Ofc the highest sv% among active goalies, I think.

Price has the ability to be better and thought he was more deserving candidate of them year ago. But now he needs to prove that he is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I'm a bit confused. The contracts are pretty much a wash (500k difference).

Rask has a career save % of .927.
Price's career best save % was .923.

Price has been relatively average throughout his career. He is comparable to Kari Lehtonen, Cam Ward, Jonas Hiller, Jaroslav Halak, Marc-Andre Fleury etc.

Meanwhile, although Rask has only played 133 regular season games, he has been one of the best goalies in hockey for 133 regular season games.

How is this a contest? How would people rather have a goalie who has proven to be mediocre (maybe occasionally great, but also occasionally bad) over a goalie that has been great?

Oh wait, Price apparently always has a terrible defense in front of him. Of course, Sergei Brobovski was able to shine last year in front of a terrible defense. So was Reimer. Nabokov put up better stats behind the Isles' defense. Sorry, I don't buy the excuse.
Jackets D was by no means terrible. They helped Bob a lot, though Bob deserves most of the credit.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Gavy

Ya, I'll take the future #1 in the league.
Rask all day, I truly belive he will be the best in the league this coming season or the next

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:38 AM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Do you have any evidence of that being true, at all, or is it just a theory of yours?
Watching every game?

We were among the best at shots allowed, because we are a good puck possession team, but when they enter our zone, all hell breaks loose.

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Numbah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly7 View Post
Just to point out Chara and Seidenberg were able to stop the Crosby line in the playoffs. Much less they one of the best shutdown defensemens in the league last season. They are usually covering the best line the opponent have to offer every game. Any team would love to have any of those two players on their team.

When I mention Boston is the best defensive team in the league I didn't just mean there defensemen. They have some of the best defensive forwards in the league as well. I don't know any other team that has as many two way forwards as Boston.

Given the choice I would pick Price since he has been able to dealt with horrible defense and no support. Rask is good as well.
You mustn't have watched the games vs the Pens. Not sure what in the heck you can point out when watching Family Feud. Julien played Chara/Seidenberg against Malkin/Neal/Iginla every chance he could. Tried to get Bergeron out there against Crosby with Ference and Boychuk.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
I still think Price is the (slightly) better goalie.
Price would have held the Pens to one goal.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Numbah4

Carey Price hasn't won a playoff series since 2008. Has lost 4 straight. Would be 5. But, he didn't even play in 2010. Rask is 4-2 in playoff series and has upped his game in the playoffs. That same Philly team everyone says Rask choked against. Beat the tar out of Montreal in the ECF and would have done the same to Halak.

Regular season stats are very irrelevant if you take a downturn in the playoffs. But, Rask has better regular season numbers. Just hasn't played as many games.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:14 AM
blueowl2
Go Bolts

For the Canes I'm taking Rask.

blueowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:03 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Subban won because of points, combined with very good defensive play. He is no Chara though. Chara is miles better than PK in his own zone right now. And if you think that Bostons D-Core and forwards are worse defensively than the Habs, give your head a shake. The ONLY dman I trust in our end is PK, while our only good 2way forward is pretty much plek. Not to mention we played a VERY offensive, aggressive style this year, hence the reason we were top 5 in goals.

In the last 2 weeks, if you watched (which you obviously didn't) the team was an absolute train wreck, while Price was not good either, but he was not the main reason for the last 2 weeks. The team just imploded.
Nope, it was about 80-90% price.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:06 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Of course he doesn't, the habs have had some very average goalies put up some really good numbers over the years, from theodore to huet to halak. Price is mostly all hype. He has alternated good seasons with poor seasons. I'm pretty sure at this point, what you see is what you get. I don't expect price to all the sudden become elite. He's pretty much a veteran now. Age isn't as important as experience, price has been in the league long enough to make his age irrelevant.

Even, I take Rask without hesitation, at both their contracts, I wouldn't want either one tbh.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:25 PM
the

vCash: 50
It's always the defenses fault with Carey Price. It's impossible for a goalie of his level to play badly. Every single bad season he had is because of bad defense. The Montreal Canadiens have the worst defense group in the whole league.

Also he always get crappy goalie coaches. His bad season this year was because of the goalie coach.

Next years it's going to be because of his pads not being adjusted correctly.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:27 PM
AJMHABS
#31 for Vezina

I'm going with Price because I'm positive he could be as good as Rask and be a top 5 elite goalie in the NHL.

AJMHABS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:02 PM
CP31

Rask: flavor of the month

Price: opposite end of the spectrum

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:39 PM
EveryDay

Did Boston at least thank the Leafs for that gift!!!!!!!!

I vote for Price but Rask is definitely the best goaltender right now

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

I'm looking at the poll and i have to admit i was expecting different results

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Shaun