HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The first 11 games of the season assessment

Old
10-29-2006, 12:38 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

vCash: 500
The first 11 games of the season assessment

Here some observations that I've seen, and I've seen every game except the Chiago one this year.

1. Lats (I never saw him play in the pre-season) and I know he's a young kid who will need time, but I think he should have stayed in Junior for another year and one year in the AHL. It's not that he hasn't registered a point, but rather that he's NOT that strong on the boards and he hasn't caught up to the speed of the game. A natural progression just like Higgins, Perezhogin and Plekanec would have been much better than throwing him into the fire.

2. When we make a crisp first pass out of the offensive zone and get through the neutral zone with speed, we are deadly, otherwise we stink...no in between!

3. Begin is playing like crap... he lost his hockey sense in the off-season. I have never seen him so out of poistion in the defensive zone and I can't understand why? His offensive zeal last year was a mirage, that's for sure. Murray hasn't looked that good either!

4, As fast as our offensive is, our DEFENSE is just plain SLOW. Put pressure on Rivet and Souray and they cough up the puck. As vets the are jsut plain scary when paired together, especially as a number 1 pairing.

5. Niiminnaa is good for 2-3 giveaways a game.... Brisebois without the offense!

6. The REAL Markov has yet to show up this year. Why does he NEVER look like he's having any fun? Another Russian just over for the American $$... guess we'll find out in the off-season.

7. Why can't we learn from Buffalo and roll 4 offensive lines?

Higgins---Koivu--Ryder (Don't fix what ain't broke!)
Perezhogin--Plekanec--Kovalev
Samasnov---Bonk---Johnson
Lats--Begin---Kots (Call him up... he's earned a shot more than Lats!)

8. Neither Huet or Abby have give me the work fuzzy feeling about our goalies...yet?

Just my opinion.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Nothing positive?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Sthabs

1. Lats is a long term plan, said by carbo, right now it s better for him to be here than Drummondville
2..Totally agree with you
3.Begin s not there yet, still workin hard. I agree for Murray
4.Unfortunately true, they loose the puck more than they should
5. #6 hasnt done better than the others...especially when paired with Streit...I really miss Dandenault and Bouillon
6. Markov was really happy when he scored his first goal of the season last game(hence maybe why he didnt show too many smiles), it s just his style, i don t see a lot of russian guys smilin all the time lol
7.Because we dont work hard for 60 min like they do + the points above
8. Goalies are looking better and better, Abby was Godlike yesterday and Huet played his best game last game

Sthabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:20 AM
bayrider

Quote:
3. Begin is playing like crap... he lost his hockey sense in the off-season. I have never seen him so out of poistion in the defensive zone and I can't understand why? His offensive zeal last year was a mirage, that's for sure. Murray hasn't looked that good either!
Thats because he's playing center. He said in an interview that he wasn't comfortable playing center. He'd much rather play the wing where his responsibilities are less and he can cheat, check and pressure guys. Instead, his role has changed and isnt playing like he used to/

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:21 AM
Captain Saku

we played 11 or 10 games ?

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:37 AM
Sthabs

5-2-3

Sthabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
Thats because he's playing center. He said in an interview that he wasn't comfortable playing center. He'd much rather play the wing where his responsibilities are less and he can cheat, check and pressure guys. Instead, his role has changed and isnt playing like he used to/
I think this might actually be a positive side effect of moving Kovalev to center and moving Plekanec down:

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Samsonov-Kovalev-Perezhogin
Latendresse-Bonk-Johnson
Begin-Plekanec-Murray

With these lines, the offensive pressure is off of Plekanec and Begin is back on the wing. Not only might this switch help our second line, I think it makes our 4th line much better and puts Latendresse with two guys who are good, cerebral hockey players and already have chemistry together.

It will be interesting to see what lines we come back with vs. Ottawa.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:23 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
8. Goalies are looking better and better, Abby was Godlike yesterday and Huet played his best game last game
Abby was horrible in the first. The whole team was. I too do not get a warm fuzzy feeling with our goaltending. It's the same feeling I had early last season before the floodgates opened on Theo. Obviously nothing that horrible could happen two years in a row, but I can see our goaltending being inconsistent until one of these two takes the bull by the horns and brings their "A" game for 60 minutes.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:33 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I think this might actually be a positive side effect of moving Kovalev to center and moving Plekanec down:

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Latendresse-Bonk-Johnson
Begin-Plekanec-Murray

With these lines, the offensive pressure is off of Plekanec and Begin is back on the wing. Not only might this switch help our second line, I think it makes our 4th line much better and puts Latendresse with two guys who are good, cerebral hockey players and already have chemistry together.

I agree this move could be huge for the Canadiens overall team offense.
Also is Latendress is having an off game Plekanec can be rewarded or used later in close games as he is better defensivley.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:52 AM
LesHabsRock

You mean the first 10 games. Game 11 is on Tuesday vs the Sens.

If the glass is half full then we have only 2 regulation losses in 10 games.

If the glass is half empty then we've only won 5 of 10 games for a .500 winning percentage.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 02:31 AM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
You mean the first 10 games. Game 11 is on Tuesday vs the Sens.

If the glass is half full then we have only 2 regulation losses in 10 games.

If the glass is half empty then we've only won 5 of 10 games for a .500 winning percentage.
Could be worse. We could be the Boston Bruins.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Demogod*

I've seen 8 out of the games so far on TV and have this to offer.

1. Carbo has done one hell of a job and is trying to figure out how to get 1 more goal a game from our team.

2. Our defense is too slow and this causes the brain cramps in our own zone.

3. If Kovalev is our franchise player he needs to play like last night every night.

Demogod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Better With Age*

OT question. Can anyone explain to me why Perezhogin is listed at 5'9 -168lbs at hockeydb and 6'0 205lbs at TSN?

Love the above lines btw. I'd personally call up A. Kostitsyn and rotate him/murray/Lats in and out of the lineup.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Samsonov - Kovy - Perezhogin
Kosti/Lats - Bonk - Johnson
Begin - Pleks - Lats/Murray

Better With Age* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:36 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

10 games report for the MTL Canadiens Stats wise:

13 points out of 20= 2nd in the North East division 4th in The eastern conference
We are 3rd on the PP (#1 SJ, FLA ,MTL, PIT, #5 BUF) .
3rd on the Penalty Kill (#1MIN, OTT, MTL, ANA, #5 BUF)
# 20 in the Plus/minus section
3rd in short handed goals with 3 goals

#2 in face-offs wins behind Toronto

Top 5 Points leaders:
Sheldon Souray 12 points
Chris Higgins 11 points
Saku Koivu 10 points
Alex Kovalev 9 points
Andrei Markov 9 Points

Top 5 Goal scorers:

Souray, Higgins 6 goals
Ryder, Samsonov 4 goals
Kovalev 3 goals

Top 6 minutes played

1) Markov: 24 min
2) Souray: 23 min
3) Craig Rivet: 21 min
4) Komi: 20 min
5) Koivu: 19 min

Aby is 20th in GAA
Huet is 22nd

aby is 10th in SV%
Huet is 23rd

we shoot on goal 28.8 times a game for 20th in the league
our defence allows 32.8 shoots on goal/game ( last nights game didn't help) for 27th in the league...

we also have 2 players in the top 30 Hitters in the league
begin with 33 hits in #5 and komi is #18 with 28

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:46 AM
rocketlives

Should we lose against the Sens on Tuesday, our month of October will read: 5-3-3for a winning percentage of 0.591 versus 8-3-1 or 0.708 for the same month last season, which would be nothing to write home about. So, we have to beat the Sens on Tuesday.

I have mixed feelings about the Habs so far this year. The 1st and 3rd line have been OK but the second and fourth have not carried their share of the load. Special teams have given us more than expected. Souray has been great offensively but he's been an adventure out there defensively. Rivet and Niinima still look like players at the beginning of training camp. Komi seems a bit better than last year but he still has the occasional brain cramp like his diagonal pass in his zone on the Bruins first goal on Thursday.

Goaltending has been touch and go since the beginning of the season. Huet still has problems with pop flys and Aebisher sometimes look like a wounded octopus in goal but lady luck has been on his side.

The whole team seems a bit out of shape. We should never be outskated like last night by the Laffs on our home ice. Carbo will have to do like Paul Maurice and make his players sweat a lot more in practice.

The month of November, in my opinion, will determine if we'll stay up there with the six best teams in the conference or if we'll fight for the 8th spot the rest of the season like the Leafs.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:47 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
I said it a long time ago... Begin is a much better at LW than Centre. On the 4th line...

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:48 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Latendresse-Bonk-Johnson
Begin-Plekanec-Murray

agree with you , and think that it was about time to move Pleky . When Kovalev said that he was ready to play center 2-3 days ago , it said what he was thinking of playing with Plekanec . He was liking Perezhogin a lot , last season , so we could se Kovy playing with more pleasure now.

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Coco Fever

1 thing is clear after the first 10 games of the season; our transition game is simply awful. The puck movement between D and F in the defensive zone and neutral zone is horrible.

I guess that's why Streit looks okay so far; he's the only one that can pass the puck tape to tape. Markov is struggling right now...but should be able to move the puck much better than he is.

That's what Buffalo is doing much better than Habs. And that's why their forwards always enter the offensive zone with full speed.

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
Goaltending has been touch and go since the beginning of the season. Huet still has problems with pop flys and Aebisher sometimes look like a wounded octopus in goal but lady luck has been on his side.
I wouldn't call it luck, that's just Aebisher's style of play...he's much more of a reaction goalie than the positional goalies we are used to seeing (Theodore & Huet). In my view, he can flop around all he wants if he stops the puck...what was that guys name again...Hasek?

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:01 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Should we lose against the Sens on Tuesday, our month of October will read: 5-3-3for a winning percentage of 0.591 versus 8-3-1 or 0.708 for the same month last season, which would be nothing to write home about. So, we have to beat the Sens on Tuesday.

I have mixed feelings about the Habs so far this year. The 1st and 3rd line have been OK but the second and fourth have not carried their share of the load. Special teams have given us more than expected. Souray has been great offensively but he's been an adventure out there defensively. Rivet and Niinima still look like players at the beginning of training camp. Komi seems a bit better than last year but he still has the occasional brain cramp like his diagonal pass in his zone on the Bruins first goal on Thursday.

The whole team seems a bit out of shape. We should never be outskated like last night by the Laffs on our home ice. Carbo will have to do like Paul Maurice and make his players sweat a lot more in practice.

The month of November, in my opinion, will determine if we'll stay up there with the six best teams in the conference or if we'll fight for the 8th spot the rest of the season like the Leafs.
Our winning percentage would be .454 if they lose vs Ottawa on Tuesday. 5 wins out of 11 games is less than 50 % or less than .500 winning percentage.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:21 AM
rocketlives

You have to take the 3 losses in shootouts as ties. It's really 13 points out of a possible 22 points. 13/22= 0.591.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I said it a long time ago... Begin is a much better at LW than Centre. On the 4th line...
Agree, most people on this very board are saying this since before the 1st game of the season...

Anyways, we did steal a point last night. And 5-2-3 is pretty decent. I dont like the comparisons with last year 13-3 start. It's pointless unless you are expecting the habs to dump games like mad between november and early february when they found a way to get back to 0.500 hockey After starting 13-3...

I dont think they will this year.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:50 AM
ThuGz

I love your positivity..!

Yet we're still fifth.

ThuGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Burnside_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
agree with you , and think that it was about time to move Pleky . When Kovalev said that he was ready to play center 2-3 days ago , it said what he was thinking of playing with Plekanec . He was liking Perezhogin a lot , last season , so we could se Kovy playing with more pleasure now.
I also agree with this. Perezhogin deserves to be on the second line, and plekanec has been dissapointing. A guy like Johnson could be a good example to follow for Latendresse, who's been more inolved on the ice in the last games. He seems a lot less shy now, which is good.

As for the season overall, I think we're lucky to be where we are. I am really really worried about our defense. Even more worrying is that three of those guys are UFA at the end of the season...

Why all the (dumb) penalties btw?

Kovalev needs to step up now. Was impressed by Samsonov last night, but don't forget what bruins fans who came on here said about him....

Higgins is one hell of a player, Koivu is also playing well, and Ryder is a lot faster. Love the first line. Without them we'd be at the bottom of the league.

Bonk is also more involved. Smeels like contract year a little no??

Anyway still really early to make an assessment, at christmas we should have a better idea of the situation.

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:33 PM
fredez

Quote:
You have to take the 3 losses in shootouts as ties. It's really 13 points out of a possible 22 points. 13/22= 0.591.
No ???

We have a .650 record (official NHL.com stat)

We played 10 games by the way, unless you're coming from the future.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote