General OT Thread #30: BNTG doesn't have time for your cap

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Jbcraig1883

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I don't know if I ever slip during my swing, but I guess I'll find out if there's a difference.

Do you guys wear hats? I normally don't but last time I played it was 90 out and no shade to be found. Felt like it might help keep me cooler.

I honestly can't tell a huge difference between various balls. I bought a few 15-packs of "Snake Eyes" balls last year on clearance, so I have a ton of them to go through. This year I picked up some Top Flite Gamers because everyone on the internet RAVES about them. I do like them, think I prefer the feel of them slightly, and they're on sale all the time. But I have so many balls to get through first.

Think I might play 9 holes at the big golf course tomorrow, if it doesn't rain in the morning.
I wear a hat but that is because I have always worn a hat outside of school/work.

I have used Callaway Diablo and Top Flite. I honestly have not been able to tell the difference yet. I think the more I play then maybe I will be able to notice, especially the short game.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:58 AM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Grounds crew, doing everything but the big/greens mowers and spraying chemicals.
I did that last summer. Its tough work. We got paid ****, though. Terrible since its a city that bases most of its revenue on the 8 golf courses it owns. However, I did get to drive bobcats, back hoes, dump trucks, front end loaders and stuff.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Fallenity

With all the talk about golf, I thought I'd partake in the discussion also

Living in Finland, the season is probably a lot shorter what you have around there, especially outside Minnesota. We play our first rounds in May and usually until October, but the courses get rather bad already then. So instead of playing a round or two a week for the whole year, I whack that ball about 4x 18 a week rather intensively. During the winters I breath hockey, during the summers golf.

So far the season has been rather OK. Changed my swing mechanics at the end of last season, incorporating more of the body and weight shift instead of using wrists and hands. End result is that I get longer and straighter shots, but have occasionally started to pull to the left. I know it's due to my follow-through and know how to correct it, but I tend to forget it always during those critical shots Putting has been my strong point this year, averaging around 32 putts per 18, vs last season and 38. I don't really understand why people change their putters, I've played with the same one for my whole life and I know I can either 4-putt every hole with it or make everything within 10 feet of the hole. I guess it ends up being about confidence and mentality, not the equipment when the putter is concerned.

The spice of this season has been my drive. I made the conscious decision to revamp my hits with the driver, because it was too hit or miss and when it hit, I only got very little extra distance versus my 3-wood. So I looked up a lot of youtube videos and went then to the range for 4 hours to build the swing, end result is something akin to power bombing. It always flies straight and very far, but the sector can be rather broad. So I only use it on those par-5's I want to try and reach the green with two shots, otherwise I rely on my 3-wood to do my opening shots for me. It loses out now about 20 yards in distance, but it's more certain and I can work the ball more easily.

Speaking of balls, I've always for some reason had 3 sets of balls I use. One "set" is all those random balls you find around the course, in the woods etc. They're for when the going gets rough or if I'm trying something completely stupid with a reserve ball. Second set is currently Nike's PD Long balls. Dual core and very good all-round balls for a very competitive price, at least around here. Finally I use Bridgestone's 330RX balls. They're the best I've ever used, very good spin without losing much distance and very soft to putt with. But the price tag is also a bit steep for me, so I only use them in competitions or when I feel like my game is really on.

Oh, and I also use a hat always because when I was young, all the cool golfers like Tiger had hats when they played.

Old
07-13-2013, 04:03 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I broke my streak...

I had 2 pepsis, a chocolate chip muffin, a chocolate donut and a really small bag of Doritos.. ( the one you see at subways or get for Halloween ) over the past 2 days..

I have poutine and a cheese pizza in the fridge.. I'm dying to eat some of it... Ugh..

Old
07-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
With all the talk about golf, I thought I'd partake in the discussion also

So far the season has been rather OK. Changed my swing mechanics at the end of last season, incorporating more of the body and weight shift instead of using wrists and hands. End result is that I get longer and straighter shots, but have occasionally started to pull to the left. I know it's due to my follow-through and know how to correct it, but I tend to forget it always during those critical shots Putting has been my strong point this year, averaging around 32 putts per 18, vs last season and 38. I don't really understand why people change their putters, I've played with the same one for my whole life and I know I can either 4-putt every hole with it or make everything within 10 feet of the hole. I guess it ends up being about confidence and mentality, not the equipment when the putter is concerned.
My putts are right around 32 as well. I just think pros are ridiculous for getting in the low 20s for putts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I broke my streak...

I had 2 pepsis, a chocolate chip muffin, a chocolate donut and a really small bag of Doritos.. ( the one you see at subways or get for Halloween ) over the past 2 days..

I have poutine and a cheese pizza in the fridge.. I'm dying to eat some of it... Ugh..
Its best to have a little bit of bad every day, rather than loading up on it one day. That way you don't feel like you're cheating and still have confidence in your diet for getting something you can enjoy.

Old
07-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Fallenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
My putts are right around 32 as well. I just think pros are ridiculous for getting in the low 20s for putts.
I think part of it is that they get it so close from 100+ yards and consistently two-putt if they for some reason end up having a long putt.

Old
07-13-2013, 08:53 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:

Its best to have a little bit of bad every day, rather than loading up on it one day. That way you don't feel like you're cheating and still have confidence in your diet for getting something you can enjoy.
Yeah, well round 2 starts tomorrow and I will go a full 2 weeks without bad food. I'm determined to do it.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:46 AM
tyratoku

I'm actually tipsy for the first time in a while. A couple of weekends ago I went through more than half the bottle and didn't feel a thing, but running shots between games of Halo is actually getting to me. Think I'm five deep so far. Hopefully I'll get to 10 by the end of the night.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:01 AM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

Quote:
I think part of it is that they get it so close from 100+ yards and consistently two-putt if they for some reason end up having a long putt.
No doubt. I rarely, if ever, during a round have a 3-putt. I'm very consistent getting in 2 putts and it seems like a good portion of my 2 putts are burning edges. If I ever do get a round where I start sinking and feeling it, that'd be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I'm actually tipsy for the first time in a while. A couple of weekends ago I went through more than half the bottle and didn't feel a thing, but running shots between games of Halo is actually getting to me. Think I'm five deep so far. Hopefully I'll get to 10 by the end of the night.
I'm tipsy, too. First time since October of last year. I love all you mother*******. Lurkers included. Ya, even you Felix.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:46 AM
tyratoku

Got to 8. Calling it quits. I have to go frolfing in the morning. Then Pacific Rim in the afternoonn. Movie looks badass.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm at 1.9 putts per hole right now. My putting numbers look better when I miss the green on an approach because I can chip it close and then tap it in.

On that note, hope I can sneak in some golf today. Got to taste wedding BBQ and then get groceries.

Also, got some big New York strip steaks waiting for tonight. Rarely spend that much money. Going to test the frequent flipping theory.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:54 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I go the other way where I just have one cheat day a week. It doesn't matter what I eat. Helps with discipline and not feeling crummy when things go awry.

(Also that cheat day is today so...woo-hoo!)

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
07-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I try to eat just a little of whatever I want if I'm really craving something, but if there's alcohol involved it ends up being too much.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I go the other way where I just have one cheat day a week. It doesn't matter what I eat. Helps with discipline and not feeling crummy when things go awry.

(Also that cheat day is today so...woo-hoo!)
Ah. Gonna be switching to The Rock's cheat day recipe anytime soon?

Old
07-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Granlund 64

Quote:
I try to eat just a little of whatever I want if I'm really craving something, but if there's alcohol involved it ends up being too much.
This is what I do as well; takes the edge off any craving. The biggest thing that I worked on with changing my diet is portion control.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Fallenity

Quote:
I'm at 1.9 putts per hole right now. My putting numbers look better when I miss the green on an approach because I can chip it close and then tap it in.

On that note, hope I can sneak in some golf today. Got to taste wedding BBQ and then get groceries.
I actually went to play today, 18 holes. Happy that I played my season best, 78 scratch on a par 72. Putting was like magic, saved a lot of pars and even had an eagle putt, was a couple of inches short. Birdie is of course a nice consolidation. 32 putts, which is good for me. Most of my one-putts also come due to chipping, sometimes feels like you can chip even more accurately then putt, which is strange.

Also won 25 dollars on a matchplay, so all in all a very good day in terms of golf.

Old
07-14-2013, 04:26 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Ah. Gonna be switching to The Rock's cheat day recipe anytime soon?
The 12,000 calorie diet?

Old
07-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I played nine today. No bueno. Shot +14. Although I must be getting better because that tied last year's best score and is my second best score this year. Oh, and this was an honest +14, no OOB, no lost balls, no mulligans, no gimmes.

As usual, I had a triple bogey on the first hole, flied the green on the second and two-putted, and had a couple more just plain stupid shots on the front "half" before the turn.

But the second half was decent. Three times I outdrove the other two guys I was playing with who used their drivers with my 5 hybrid. Had two birdie putts but missed them. Screwed up my approach shot on the last hole and 3-putted otherwise would have been able to save a nice score.

So there's improvement, but I need to remember to slow down my swing a bit and put in some work on the putting greens.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:42 PM
tyratoku

Pacific Rim was pretty dang good. It made me feel as excited/giddy as a small child for most of it.

Highly recommend.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:10 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
anyone in the inver grove area have a suggestion for lawn aeration?

Old
07-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Batman & Robin is on Syfy! And the Dark Knight is on the channel right next to it

Hilarious contrast

Old
07-14-2013, 08:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Batman & Robin is on Syfy! And the Dark Knight is on the channel right next to it

Hilarious contrast
Worst thing Syfy has shown this week and they've shown some insane movies around Sharknado.

It's literally Good Batman, Bad Batman.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
DVR'd The Dark Knight so I'll watch it in my free time over the next couple days. I've seen it at least ten times but it's been darn near a year since the last time I saw it (the last time was right before I went to see TDKR in theaters). Watched Catch Me If You Can today and it was decent. Figured a movie with Tom Hanks, Dicaprio and Spielberg is worth checking out.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

Quote:
I actually went to play today, 18 holes. Happy that I played my season best, 78 scratch on a par 72. Putting was like magic, saved a lot of pars and even had an eagle putt, was a couple of inches short. Birdie is of course a nice consolidation. 32 putts, which is good for me. Most of my one-putts also come due to chipping, sometimes feels like you can chip even more accurately then putt, which is strange.

Also won 25 dollars on a matchplay, so all in all a very good day in terms of golf.
Very nice. I just got my best ever score as well. Finished with a 78, as well. I'm not even happy with it either, I was 3 over after 15 and then we had to start waiting for the people in front of us and it was atrociously slow. Then I ****ed up 2 of the holes then parred the last. Had 28 putts on the day, but also had 4 putts lip out. Could have been better. Oh well, still my best, I guess.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah we had SUPER slow play in front of us. Waiting for 10 minutes at the start of every hole. I think that threw me off too.

The second half though, it sped up to where we had about a 5 minute wait each hole. I was a lot better. So I wonder if there's something about getting in rhythm.

Closed Thread