HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks Re-Sign Marcus Kruger (2 years / 1.325 AAV)

Old
07-14-2013, 07:36 PM
The Good Doctor
RIP HST (1937-2005)

vCash: 500
Stan paid about $500K too much. Trade Kruger for a 7th and lure Karpovtsev out of retirement.

The Good Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Easton Modano Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
I cannot recall a 4th line center being as big of a lightning rod for controversy as Marcus Kruger is. It's pretty weird.
For real. Home grown young guy getting 4th line money with 3rd line upside. A good penalty killer. Has enough skating and hands to make the puck possession game plan work even on the 4th line. I think he's a great fit for us.

Easton Modano Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Cullksinikers

Bickell-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Pirri-Hossa
Saad-Shaw-Morin
Kruger-Handzus-Smith
Carcillo, Bollig

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Oduya
Rozsival-Leddy
Brookbank

Crawford
Khabibulin

I've got that team at $648,205 of cap space. The team is healthy and looks good on paper.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:43 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
What's so great about Stalberg in the playoffs? Oh yeah, goal less once again.

How did the line AND the team play in either's presence? Case closed.

If the ultimate goal for the Chicago Blackhawks is to roll four lines, I see no benefit whatsoever of removing Kruger from the fourth line center role.

There's nothing wrong with putting Handzus, who's a much older player, in a lesser role that requires less minutes. While there's nothing wrong with (necessarily) leaving Kruger in the 4C role, the Hawks are much better suited to expand his presence as a young player entering his 3rd season of NA hockey. At some point we have to figure out exactly what he can/can't do, and discern if he's making measurable progress. That will be hard to assess if given 4th line minutes.

What's so wrong with Kruger as the fourth line center?

See above

Kruger has the weakest wrist shot on the Chicago Blackhawks aside from Dan Carcillo. Great vision? Where all these tap in goals for the Chicago Blackhawks when Kruger is centering a line?

Kruger's never going to have the best shot. Okay, we get it (nobody's arguing this fact either). You act as if that's the end all, be all, in determining what kind of player he may/may not become. That's very short-sighted.
See above.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:47 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

It's not even short-sighted, it's just dumb. Kruger will never be a sniper. Ever. Most of his goals will come from within 6 feet of the net. There's nothing wrong with that.

If Kruger can be a 15G, 40Pt third line centre, who plays great defense and is a key PKer, that's a damn good player to have on your team. And make no mistake, Kruger's more than capable of being that.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:48 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Bickell-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Pirri-Hossa
Saad-Shaw-Morin
Kruger-Handzus-Smith
Carcillo, Bollig

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Oduya
Rozsival-Leddy
Brookbank

Crawford
Khabibulin

I've got that team at $648,205 of cap space. The team is healthy and looks good on paper.
Not only that, but with Pirri, LeBlanc, Kruger, Shaw, and Handzus the Hawks have a ton of flexibility at the center position depending what Pirri and Leblanc do in camp. It's possible both could make the team, moving Shaw and Kruger to wings, or one could make it with the other being sent down (does LeBlanc have any options?). If both and or Shaw and Kruger show improvements, we could trade Handzus at some point in the season (not sure if he has a no trade clause). The blue line looks pretty good (hoping Roszi can play as well over 82 games), and we got a stable group of goaltenders.

If Pirri and our LeBlanc pan out and we get our PP figured out (big if on that one) this team could be deadly.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:51 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
It's not even short-sighted, it's just dumb. Kruger will never be a sniper. Ever. Most of his goals will come from within 6 feet of the net. There's nothing wrong with that.

If Kruger can be a 15G, 40Pt third line centre, who plays great defense and is a key PKer, that's a damn good player to have on your team. And make no mistake, Kruger's more than capable of being that.
Not to mention that's nothing less than what Bolland did in his time here. If Kruger can play defense, improve at the dot, and offer what you provide there shouldn't be any complaints about that kind of production.

I don't know if Kruger will ever do that, but I think it's more plausible than some around here do. I just think many underestimate the transition period required for most when coming over from Europe. Now the Kruger's found some traction, I think he may really start to blossom as a player.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Kaners BAC

Quote:

This

Why don't more people see Kruger as a 3rd line center? A line centered by Kruger with Shaw and Saad as wings could be a very good shutdown line that still has some offensive punch. And a 4th line with some mix of Leblanc, Morin, Smith, Carcillo, and Bollig. Mix Handzus in there 50 games a year or so.

Kaners BAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:57 PM
hockeydoug

For two more years at 1.325 against the cap, this contract has good value, even if he doesn't improve. I'm happy about this bridge deal, and I still think Kruger will improve in some areas. I don't expect much more offensively. If some of the prospects can snag his ice time, I don't think it will be difficult to move him for at least a fair return.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Marina
#freemorin

vCash: 1200
I like this contract. Don't really know why anyone wouldn't.

Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Illinihockey

Good deal, seems fair

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Kruger just really REALLY needs to get stronger. Almost all of his problems come from that.

Glad to have him back though. Wish we could have kept Frolik with him too.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Kaners BAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
1.325M for two years, and he's still an RFA afterwards.

And people seriously thought Kruger was going to get overpaid
Finally a good deal from Stan after overpaying Frolik, Habby, Seabrook, Leddy, and Bickell. I guess Handzus, Roszival, and even Oduya were pretty decent. Nice job Stan.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:28 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

He didn't overpay Frolik and Seabrook and Bickell would most definitely have gotten more on the market.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:29 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaners BAC View Post
Finally a good deal from Stan after overpaying Frolik, Habby, Seabrook, Leddy, and Bickell. I guess Handzus, Roszival, and even Oduya were pretty decent. Nice job Stan.
Bickell's contract looks amazing compared to what Clarkson and Clowe got.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Hawkscap

He had to be a RFA again. It would only be 5 years in the league and he is not 28.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Kaners BAC

Quote:
He didn't overpay Frolik and Seabrook and Bickell would most definitely have gotten more on the market.
Disagree, disagree, that doesn't mean it's a good contract

Old
07-14-2013, 08:38 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
This

Why don't more people see Kruger as a 3rd line center? A line centered by Kruger with Shaw and Saad as wings could be a very good shutdown line that still has some offensive punch. And a 4th line with some mix of Leblanc, Morin, Smith, Carcillo, and Bollig. Mix Handzus in there 50 games a year or so.
Im sorry but i very much disagree. Shaw and Kruger did not play "shutdown center" roles last year. Putting them together to try and do that now would be a mistake. The Hawks will likely do something similar to what they did last year and play the top two lines against the toughest competition.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Kaners BAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
Bickell's contract looks amazing compared to what Clarkson and Clowe got.
True! but that's not saying too much.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Kaners BAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Im sorry but i very much disagree. Shaw and Kruger did not play "shutdown center" roles last year. Putting them together to try and do that now would be a mistake. The Hawks will likely do something similar to what they did last year and play the top two lines against the toughest competition.
I didn't necessarily mean a straight, match-up shutdown line. I meant more of a defensive-oriented line that still had some offensive punch. With the way Q just rolls his lines, I don't expect him to chase matchups during the regular season.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:48 PM
slappipappi

When most aging, regressing UFA 4th liners are signed for about $1M, it's impossible to hate this deal.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:48 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
True! but that's not saying too much.
It says that the Hawks got him for less than market value. Another way of putting that is Bickell took a pay cut to stay, and it was a good contract. Just because he didn't get what everyone thought he might doesn't mean it was a bad contract.

Obviously, at the end of the day, Bickell is overpaid. But that's what the markets like and Bickell could have gotten more money elsewhere.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:53 PM
DontTazMeBro
LoveYouRyanNash

Wow! Awesome cap hit!

Old username: LoveYouRyanNash
GO HAWKS!
DontTazMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Kaners BAC

Quote:
Obviously, at the end of the day, Bickell is overpaid. But that's what the markets like and Bickell could have gotten more money elsewhere.
So we agree that he is overpaid. Not saying I wouldn't have done the same thing if I was Bowman. Hope he proves to be a good decision.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:06 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Great contract for Kruger, feel like everyone should be elated at that cap hit.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote