HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Do you believe Brad Marchand deserves his negative reputation?

Old
07-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
?

Burrows 5 years ago ... sure. Burrows the last 3 years (aside from the bite) is neither dirty nor a diver.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:54 PM
smitty10

Well, he's not as bad as Kaleta. He deserves the reputation he has though.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:55 PM
eeddieedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill Dangle For You View Post
Nucks fans may be the only ones who wouldn't want him on the team
I would emphasize "may". I would argue that the majority of Nucks fans would
want him on the team. He's an excellent hockey player - nuff said.

eeddieedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

The only answer to this thread should be "yes he deserves it, but I'd love him on my team." He's a greatly skilled top six winger who annoys everyone.

The fact that this is a thread means he's doing a great job at being an annoying pest.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:23 PM
CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

He's a clean player. i don't get the fuss. Subban on the other hand. Even Crosby is dirty.

CraigAdamsnumber1fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:23 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugbestdmanever View Post
He's a clean player. i don't get the fuss. Subban on the other hand. Even Crosby is dirty.
Um, Bruins fan here, and what? I don't think Marchand is a predator in a Raffi Torres kind of way, but he's not a clean player. The submarine hit on Salo, the elbow to Umberger's head, the hit from behind on Neal in the playoffs, etc. Again, he's not headhunter or a guy that's looking to end careers, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that he's a clean player.

Oh, and anyone that has the audacity to come in this thread and say that don't want him on your team...give your head a shake. You'd be absolutely psyched to find out he signed with your favorite team if he ever hits UFA.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:59 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Um, Bruins fan here, and what? I don't think Marchand is a predator in a Raffi Torres kind of way, but he's not a clean player. The submarine hit on Salo, the elbow to Umberger's head, the hit from behind on Neal in the playoffs, etc. Again, he's not headhunter or a guy that's looking to end careers, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that he's a clean player.

Oh, and anyone that has the audacity to come in this thread and say that don't want him on your team...give your head a shake. You'd be absolutely psyched to find out he signed with your favorite team if he ever hits UFA.
Absolutely agree with your assessment...he's one of those guys you hate, but would love on your team...sort of...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:00 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
You should chat with a few of the non rose coloured glasses Bruins fans...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2550
I absolutely hate Marchand, but I'd take him on the Rangers in a second, but really only if he cleans up his game. No matter how good a player is, I don't want anyone dirty.

07-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

He absolutely does. Great hockey player, but he's a piece of trash on the ice.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:13 PM
sharks9

Of course he does.

He dives, plays dirty and then does nothing but whine about other people doing it.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Dave Sparky Allison
2-22-1

He's the type of player you love if he's on your team, but hate if he's on the other team. I think he's very effective at what he does. That said, I thought his hit on Salo was extremely dirty.

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:15 PM
MikeK

vCash: 50
He's a *******, plain and simple. I put him in the same category as an Avery. I don't care what anyone on here says, no way I'd want that freaking RAT on my team.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:15 PM
roflstomper
I don't row.

Marchand hasn't had a bad hit/play in over a calendar year. Just goes to show you that first impressions and reputation are very hard too shake.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflstomper View Post
Marchand hasn't had a bad hit/play in over a calendar year. Just goes to show you that first impressions and reputation are very hard too shake.
I'm not sure this is true but if it is; the 'first impression' wasn't exactly a mistake.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Erik Estrada

Marchand is one of the most effective agitators in the league. He succeeds on getting under people's skin. Will do anything he feels he might get away with... Throwing a glove from the bench. Diving 3 times in succession on the same shift (never seen that in over three decades watching hockey-see Youtube). etc... Negative or not, his act has helped the Bruins.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:28 PM
roflstomper
I don't row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
I'm not sure this is true but if it is; the 'first impression' wasn't exactly a mistake.
No doubt he deserves his reputation. What I'm saying is he could play the next 15 years like Lidstrom and still have a bad reputation.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:07 AM
OrrNumber4

When I think of dirty players, I more think of players that would go to ugly lengths to hurt players.

With Marchand, I've never got the impression that he's wanted to critically hurt someone. He's very physical, very tough to play against, and willing to put physical hurt on people. But I don't think he actually wants to injure people. As in, I don't think he crosses the line. And, I don't think players like Mark Messier or Clarke ever crossed that line (well, Clarke maybe that one time, but that was war!).

Like, for example, Raffi Torres, Matt Cooke, Ulf Samuelsson, and others, at times in their career, all did things that just went to far. Same with players like Sean Avery and Todd Bertuzzi. The play with a good edge 99% of the time, and then there is that 1% that makes you cringe.

I'll always remember Brian Marchment going after Mike Modano's knees, and getting him a good bit. Modano went down, but Marchment couldn't spend a second on the ice without getting harassed, the entire rest of the season in Dallas. And very little response from the SJ bench to defend Marchment. A good measure of this is when even your own teammates don't have your back.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:12 AM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Of course he does... He pisses people off, dives quite a bit, and can throw some bad hits... I'm a Bruins fan who loves him, but you can't deny that... But he's also a 30 goal scorer with terrific defensive abilities and 29 teams would be on him if he ever hit the market.

He's not "dirty", but he can and does cross the line. Usually does 2-3 times a season.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:42 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Face Killah View Post
It's no secret people hate Brad Marchand, but does he deserve all of the negative attention? I'm talking about him being called a diver, a cheapshot artist, a whiner, and a dirty player.
Brad has a unique physiology that absorbs negative attention and converts it into black energy that gets stored in the cavity where his heart would be. Ya he deserves it but keep it coming.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Icetime

Dude has more "Will to Win"/"Heart of a Champion" than the entire Washington Capitals top-six/bottom-six/useless owner/ and sham GM combined.

Sorry. I'm a Caps fan. End of mini-rant.

Let's continue.

Marchand deserves his reputation 100% ... he is what he is... A PEST/A BEAST/A CHAMPION/A WINNER

Oh yeah. Dude can play.

Sure he skates a fine line, but his effort level combined with skill level is WORLD CLASS.

Love his game.

Last edited by Icetime: 07-15-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
My least fave player in the NHL. Everything about him pisses me off. Yes, he obviously deserves his negative reputation.

But yeah... I begrudgingly have to admit that after a day or two of being steamed about it, I'd be more than happy to have him on the team I cheer for.

That's just how it is with team sports. You always want skilled guys on your team, even if you dislike them as people/players/or whatever. If they can win and do their part, they can come play. I'd stick Charles Manson in a Canucks jersey if he could play and win Stanley cups like Mario. Plus he'd be too way busy with that to be such an evil slimeball off the ice, so that's a bonus right there. Just keep him in a dog kennel during the off season.

Last edited by Bougieman: 07-15-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

He's not that good. Crosby is better.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:17 AM
Dave Sparky Allison
2-22-1

Quote:
Hard to take your opinion seriously with that user name

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:52 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

i've heard many halifax natives have.... 'strong' words for him. most of which are censored on this site

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote