Marian Hossa is the highest scoring active player in Winnipeg Jets history

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2013, 02:38 PM
TCsmyth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
PS241, glad you enjoy the mixed fanbase. A lot of you guys are really, really good to us ex-Thrash fans. I always feel a little reticent posting pictures of former Thrashers, like the one I posted of Hossa, but it seemed like it might be an acceptable place for it. I never want to be divisive, and every message board I'm part of (even one really small one) have international memberships that enjoy sharing different points of view, so I hope I don't come off that way.

Every large group of posters/people is going to have some dividing lines (like arguing if a real fan is one that criticizes and boycotts a mis-managed team or one that sticks by the team through thick and thin - that's a particularly nasty one that hopefully will never come up in a big way here) but I hope Atlanta/Winnipeg is never a serious one. "You guys" (hate to say it like that) are easy to respect and hopefully all Thrashers fans that are now Jets fans will be respectful. Sometimes Thrashers fans (not all of whom are Jets fans) still pop up here with an emotional outburst and it sometimes embarrasses me, but most people understand that some of those guys are still struggling with the relocation and some are just bad players (of which every sub-group has a few).

We are still one culture of hockey fans and Jets fans, regardless of how many sub-cultures it contains. Hopefully all of us will continue to have fun and not offend, or worry about offending one another.
Good post Vid...really hope that you and your son can make it to Winnipeg for a game sometime.

Are we retiring Moe Mantha's number next year?

Old
07-14-2013, 03:12 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Retire me

Old
07-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Here we go again.

I'm not sure why Kovalchuk retiring would rehash this discussion once again. The fans can believe whatever you like but at the end of the day, this FRANCHISE has absolutely NO TIES to the previous Jets.

[mod]
Sorry Lynk, Like a player this team is an interchangable part of our cities sports history. Nothing the Thrashers ever did will mean anything to Winnipeg hockey fans. Jets 1.0 and Jets 2.0 is all that matters to people in this city. Professional hockey in Winnipeg has and will always be the Jets (and to its degree the Moose). What the Coyotes did once they got there was for their fans. It's fine to acknowledge where the team came from but really the only thing that matters is what a franchise does while they are playing in your city wearing your jersey. Thrasher's accomplishments should be honored in whatever sports hall of fame that Atlanta has. The only true connection is the overlap of players / coaches / staff when a team relocates. Hawerchuk being honored in Phx is silly and honoring Kovalchuk or Hossa in Winnipeg would be equally silly.

Old
07-14-2013, 04:19 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Just for fun...

Toby Enstrom, curently 29 points behind Hossa and in fourth place, is only 396 points from becoming the Jets/Thrashers all-time leading scorer.

Old
07-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post
Sorry Lynk, Like a player this team is an interchangable part of our cities sports history. Nothing the Thrashers ever did will mean anything to Winnipeg hockey fans. Jets 1.0 and Jets 2.0 is all that matters to people in this city. Professional hockey in Winnipeg has and will always be the Jets (and to its degree the Moose). What the Coyotes did once they got there was for their fans. It's fine to acknowledge where the team came from but really the only thing that matters is what a franchise does while they are playing in your city wearing your jersey. Thrasher's accomplishments should be honored in whatever sports hall of fame that Atlanta has. The only true connection is the overlap of players / coaches / staff when a team relocates. Hawerchuk being honored in Phx is silly and honoring Kovalchuk or Hossa in Winnipeg would be equally silly.
i'm sorry i must have missed the vote where winnipeg hockey fans, myself included, elected you to speak on all of our behalfs.

I for one am a winnipeg hockey fan who actually DOES care about what the team in atlanta did. What Atlanta did means something to THIS winnipeg hockey fan.

Old
07-14-2013, 04:32 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
i'm sorry i must have missed the vote where winnipeg hockey fans, myself included, elected you to speak on all of our behalfs.

I for one am a winnipeg hockey fan who actually DOES care about what the team in atlanta did. What Atlanta did means something to THIS winnipeg hockey fan.
Count me in as well. The existence of the franchise in Winnipeg is interwoven with its beginnings in Atlanta.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:31 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Count me in as well. The existence of the franchise in Winnipeg is interwoven with its beginnings in Atlanta.
Also, me.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:37 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Oh lord, I feel like I'm back on the old Manitoba Moose board

Old
07-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Skidooboy

Well despite all the politically correct answers I'm reading here I can tell you one group of people who aren't enamoured with the Atlanta franchise and it's history. TNSE.

"Culture change" has been on the lips of the Owners, GM, and Coaches since the moment this team came here.

It would seem to me that , by definition, a change in "Culture" is indeed an attempt to separate or change this team in a basic fundamental way. To change this team from what it was in Atlanta to What we want it to be in Winnipeg.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:46 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
Well despite all the politically correct answers I'm reading here I can tell you one group of people who aren't enamoured with the Atlanta franchise and it's history. TNSE.

"Culture change" has been on the lips of the Owners, GM, and Coaches since the moment this team came here.

It would seem to me that , by definition, a change in "Culture" is indeed an attempt to separate or change this team in a basic fundamental way. To change this team from what it was in Atlanta to What we want it to be in Winnipeg.
I hope you didn't pull a groin muscle with that stretch. Not sure what paying attention to the history of the franchise has to do with cultural change. I would argue that if you don't remember what the issues were with the franchise in Atlanta, you may repeat the same mistakes.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:47 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:

Fair enough but I'd venture to guess you represent less than 5% of the fan base here in Winnipeg.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:01 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:

Ironic that you say that, considering TNSE also isn't enamored with what is now the now Arizona Coyotes franchise and it's history either.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Skidooboy

Yeah Chippman has zero connection with Jets 1.0

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/05/3...bring-back-nhl

A life long Jets fan, who owns a Winnipeg Jets team, and tried even to purchase the old Winnipeg Jets team.

yep he doesn't want anything to do with the Jets

Old
07-14-2013, 06:21 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Yeah Chippman has zero connection with Jets 1.0

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/05/3...bring-back-nhl

A life long Jets fan, who owns a Winnipeg Jets team, and tried even to purchase the old Winnipeg Jets team.

yep he doesn't want anything to do with the Jets
I've heard many a mention of them making something of their own and not being tied down by trying to be the old Jets. At least they can recognize they aren't the same team.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:15 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:

Well if we're going down that street TNSE were Moose Guys and not too "enamored" with the Jets 1.0 history and constantly having it shoved down their throat during their AHL days either and they wanted to distance themselves from that as well (Polar Bears). But Mark is a populist and caved on the name. Now they are doing their best to carve out their own identity with some culture change from the past history of Atlanta as well as the Jets 1.0 NHL version who were pretty snake bitten as well.

TNSE was all about getting NHL hockey back to Winnipeg but make no mistake they are more loyal to the Moose than they ever will be to the Jets 1.0

Last edited by ps241: 07-14-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old
07-14-2013, 07:15 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
I'll just go on record by saying the OP was never made with the intention of shunning Atlanta Thrashers fans, or the team's accomplishments.

Rather, I thought it was a very strange NHL fact that long-suffering hockey fans in Winnipeg may like to chew on for amusement.

Par example ... Marian Hossa is the Winnipeg Jets active leading scorer, yet would you get his name put on a Jets jersey? He's our active leading scorer, why wouldn't you?

Old
07-14-2013, 07:22 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
I've heard many a mention of them making something of their own and not being tied down by trying to be the old Jets. At least they can recognize they aren't the same team.
Yup you got that right......I think they have come around full circle on the Jets brand but they wanted nothing to do with the name originally.....the history of Hockey in Winnipeg is another thing and I think they have always been connected to that.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:36 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Par example ... Marian Hossa is the Winnipeg Jets active leading scorer, yet would you get his name put on a Jets jersey? He's our active leading scorer, why wouldn't you?
Marian Hossa is not the Winnipeg Jets active scoring leader.

Marian Hossa is the active scoring leader of the Atlanta Thrashers / Winnipeg Jets 2.0 franchise.

These are different things.

This is not complicated.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:

Sorry I should not have used such broad language.
Like someone else said my sentiment likely fits 90 - 95% of local fans.

My point is forget team names and the historical lineage of a franchise. When a team plays in your city they are your team. When they leave they don't. So what happened before a team gets here is more relevant to the city that the team is playing in at that time. I still look at franchises like players who can be moved (obviously no where near as often). I celebrate Winnipeg hockey history and respect franchise history but they certainly are not the same thing.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:11 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:

My point is forget team names and the historical lineage of a franchise. When a team plays in your city they are your team. When they leave they don't. So what happened before a team gets here is more relevant to the city that the team is playing in at that time. I still look at franchises like players who can be moved (obviously no where near as often). I celebrate Winnipeg hockey history and respect franchise history but they certainly are not the same thing.
So you acknowledge the fact that you don't speak for others, but then go an say that your opinion is the same as everyone else??

Those who ignore the past are deemed to repeat it. If anything, learn from Atlanta's mistakes instead of ignoring it.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:13 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Marian Hossa is not the Winnipeg Jets active scoring leader.

Marian Hossa is the active scoring leader of the Atlanta Thrashers / Winnipeg Jets 2.0 franchise.

These are different things.

This is not complicated.
I don't see "2.0" on any jersey or website, just Winnipeg Jets. So technically, Hossa is the active leading scorer of the Winnipeg Jets.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke89 View Post
So you acknowledge the fact that you don't speak for others, but then go an say that your opinion is the same as everyone else??

Those who ignore the past are deemed to repeat it. If anything, learn from Atlanta's mistakes instead of ignoring it.
Read again my friend I said about 90% (not 100%)
Your welcome to go and do a random poll at Portage and Main to dispute the theory.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:54 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Read again my friend I said about 90% (not 100%)
Your welcome to go and do a random poll at Portage and Main to dispute the theory.
Still doesn't change the fact that you pretty much contradicted yourself.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:56 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

This is the song that never ends.
Yes it goes on and on my friends.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:

I understand exactly what you are saying. Marian Hossa never played a second for Winnipeg so I could give a flying **** less about his stats.

It is also true that he is the highest scoring player in this franchise's history. Not Jets history. It is all semantics.