HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Brian Boucher sets Shutout record

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2004, 06:48 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Brian Boucher sets Shutout record

Boucher has now set the NHL record with 5 straight shutouts. That's a pretty amazing streak, the Handzus deal doesn't look quite so brutal right now.

I can't even fathom Tommy Salo going one game without a goal. Imagine 5 straight.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Boucher has now set the NHL record with 5 straight shutouts. That's a pretty amazing streak, the Handzus deal doesn't look quite so brutal right now.

I can't even fathom Tommy Salo going one game without a goal. Imagine 5 straight.
This might be the most overrated streak/record in a long time. Boucher deserves maybe 50% of the credit, shutouts are usually the result of great team defense.

Boucher was absolutely terrible last season and their's a reason he was on waivers this year.

I agree that it's a great accomplishment for any team and goalie to get 5 straight, but I'm tired of the defensive style of hockey being lauded by the NHL and fans.

This is a terrible streak and will hopefully end soon and never happen again.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:27 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101

Salo has 34 career shutouts...... What are you talking about?

Old
01-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Lets hate the system later, when anyone gets 5 straight shutouts, you just clap and congratulate. I find it so hard to hate the Coyotes, specially they are above us i the standings. but 5 straight games without allowing a goal, even in todays defensively overzelous NHL, is something to call home about.

Congrats Phoenix.

Old
01-09-2004, 09:15 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Lets hate the system later, when anyone gets 5 straight shutouts, you just clap and congratulate. I find it so hard to hate the Coyotes, specially they are above us i the standings. but 5 straight games without allowing a goal, even in todays defensively overzelous NHL, is something to call home about.

Congrats Phoenix.
Yes, I agree. Even in the context of the current NHL, that is an amazing feat. There is a time and a place to criticise defensive boredom, but we have to give Boucher his due.

Old
01-09-2004, 09:42 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie

Congrats Phoenix.
Exactly, a record is still a record, if he starts challenging Alex Connell, now then I might get a little worried about todays game.

Old
01-09-2004, 09:49 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
it doesnt matter if the D did 50% of the work, he had to do the other 50% to set that shutout, great to see a guy bounce back like this. Didn't we have a guy like this that bounced back into a role after he was labelled a failure ?

(answer : Reasoner)

Old
01-10-2004, 12:22 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Amazing play from Boucher, amazing play from his team, a truly remarkable accomplishment.

I guess the "he can't play in the NHL, he's overrated and overpayed" I got when I suggested we attempt a pickup may have been a little misguided?

Old
01-10-2004, 05:20 AM
gretzky2kurri

Oiler fans would be up in arms if the Oilers threw out the trap in the 3rd period to protect a lead for a couple games in a row.

It's so un-Kevin Lowe and Craig McTavish. Defensive stallwards for the "glory day Oilers". Yet the most offensive hockey player known to mankind from the "glory day Oilers" has a team that has trapped itself to 5 straight wins without giving up a goal.

We can get it done with speedy plumbers.

Old
01-10-2004, 07:29 AM
Cawz

"Our formula has been to come out and have a strong first period and go with the mind-set that it's going to be a low-scoring game," Phoenix coach Bob Francis said.

This is the attitude that is killing the game and causing the league to scramble and come up with new fandangled ways to improve the game.

Old
01-10-2004, 08:27 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
"Our formula has been to come out and have a strong first period and go with the mind-set that it's going to be a low-scoring game," Phoenix coach Bob Francis said.

This is the attitude that is killing the game and causing the league to scramble and come up with new fandangled ways to improve the game.
How about we start by reducing the size of the equipment that goalies wear.

Even given the Michelin Man attire that today's rubber stoppers get to mount about their person, Boucher's achievement deserve applause!

Closed Thread