HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Animal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
By what...Central Scouting?

What's your point?
my point should be pretty obvious....

It was a good pick, but for some to call him a "top 10 pick" in other drafts is inaccurate

Old
07-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I'm with Biggs on this one - McCarron top ten on a weak draft? Seriously? He is what he is, a late 1st, early 2nd rounder, and he'd be as much in pretty much any draft.
Who said he was a top 10 in a weak draft ?

McCarron is very similar to Tyler Biggs.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
He got skills and he can skate. Having been such a deep draft made him available at 25 any other weak draft with him in it he would of been top 10.
He did.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Who said he was a top 10 in a weak draft ?

McCarron is very similar to Tyler Biggs.
charlie.

He is indeed similar, players like this are usually drafted late 1st or early 2nd because the potential is scary if they pan out

Old
07-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
charlie.

He is indeed similar, players like this are usually drafted late 1st or early 2nd because the potential is scary if they pan out
Pretty much.

McCarron a top 10 in any draft ?

1999 was one of the worst drafts ever and there's 10 players that I'd take over McCarron. Though, that's based on what they've done in the NHL when McCarron hasn't even played.

To say he's top 10 in any draft is a level beyond homerism.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
yup because all leafs fans are the same right? Can't say anything without people getting sensitive
But why propagate your trivia in 4 separate posts on our board? At least spare us repetitions of your undistinguished avatar. And please wait until you see McCarron play in the NHL before you pronounce him unfit.

Leaf fans are not all the same. Some are rational and even likable. However, they have in common a peculiar necrophilia: a love for les feuilles mortes (dead leaves ). Did you ever see a blue maple leaf in nature? Was it a mutation caused by some herbicide originally used in Vietnam? And while we're at it, what happened to the lead les feuilles mortes had in game 7? Did they consider themselves unworthy of advancing?

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 07-14-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old
07-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
But why propagate your trivia in 4 separate posts on our board? At least spare us repetitions of your undistinguished avatar.

Leaf fans are not all the same. Some are rational and even likable. However, all have in common a peculiar necrophilia: a love for les feuilles mortes (dead leaves ). Did you ever see a blue maple leaf in nature? Was it a mutation caused by some herbicide originally used in Vietnam?
didn't expect to be reading poetry on a message board...

Old
07-14-2013, 10:20 PM
uocooco

Biggs doesn't scare anybody at 6'2". Comparing him with McCarron is a lazy comparison.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
In a weaker draft, picking him up at 25 would have been more justified. The main problem I had with the pick was that it could have waited until pick 34, hypothetically speaking. A draft of Hartman, McCarron, Fucale would have been enormous. Regardless, what happened happened and we now have three strong prospects, despite what I and most initially thought.
Didn't TT comment on the fact he had him much higher on the team's list though?

Old
07-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by uocooco View Post
Biggs doesn't scare anybody at 6'2". Comparing him with McCarron is a lazy comparison.
Chris Neil at 5'11 scares people. Nik Antropov at 6'6 doesn't scare anyone. David ****ing Desharnais wasn't afraid of him.

It's not all about size.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:05 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

I've warmed up to this pick, realizing there really wasn't anything better at 25...but there's no way this guy beats lucic...not happening....lucic is gonna lay him out flat like a ton of bricks...just my opinion.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Pretty much.

McCarron a top 10 in any draft ?

1999 was one of the worst drafts ever and there's 10 players that I'd take over McCarron. Though, that's based on what they've done in the NHL when McCarron hasn't even played.

To say he's top 10 in any draft is a level beyond homerism.
First draft I thought of too.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
But why propagate your trivia in 4 separate posts on our board? At least spare us repetitions of your undistinguished avatar. And please wait until you see McCarron play in the NHL before you pronounce him unfit.

Leaf fans are not all the same. Some are rational and even likable. However, they have in common a peculiar necrophilia: a love for les feuilles mortes (dead leaves ). Did you ever see a blue maple leaf in nature? Was it a mutation caused by some herbicide originally used in Vietnam? And while we're at it, what happened to the lead les feuilles mortes had in game 7? Did they consider themselves unworthy of advancing?
It's funny you mention that. I thought the Habs finished 2nd in the east, they couldn't even get past the sens who were missing half their team... You're not in any position to chirp hahaha

Old
07-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
It's funny you mention that. I thought the Habs finished 2nd in the east, they couldn't even get past the sens who were missing half their team... You're not in any position to chirp hahaha
Which team was missing half their team?

Old
07-15-2013, 09:20 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
I've warmed up to this pick, realizing there really wasn't anything better at 25...but there's no way this guy beats lucic...not happening....lucic is gonna lay him out flat like a ton of bricks...just my opinion.
At 18 years old, coming out of the US program? No kidding. Obviously, the arguably toughest guy in the league would beat him. In a couple of years though, I don't see McCarron being and easy "beat" for anybody in this league. With his size and strength, plus his mean streak, just with his reach, I see him being a tough match to a whole lot of people.

He's never going to be the fighter Lucic is. Fine. We know for sure Lucic is not even currently the skater McCarron is though.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:24 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
He won't play in the NHL for 3 years. Lucic will be gone by then, or in San Jose etc.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I'm with Biggs on this one - McCarron top ten on a weak draft? Seriously? He is what he is, a late 1st, early 2nd rounder, and he'd be as much in pretty much any draft.
First of all, as a card carrying Habs fan, you should never agree with a Leaf fan unless it's because you're both talking trash to a Bruins or Send fan...

Second, not to burst your bubble or anything, but Tom Wilson got picked 16th last yearby the Capitals despite not showing that much offensive accumen in his draft year.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by uocooco View Post
Now, that's just a plain bad comparison, I'm sure Patrick Traverse was terrorizing opponents.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
lmao a top 10 pick? This guy was the 35th ranked North american skater...
I don't know about top 10 but see Tom Wilson of similar mold going high.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I couldn't care less if he's penciled top 10 RIGHT NOW....I prefer to wati and see a "2013 draft revisited" in a couple of years and THEN see him in there in due time....LIke I keep saying, it is a great exercice to name the winning taems of the draft one day after and see who should or shouldn't have gone where.....But revisiting drafts is funnier as it's the real score of your draft. How many guys in each drafts ends up top 15 that weren't there at draft day? Plenty....let's wish the big guy makes the list. And people....even if he doesn't....I'd take McCarron at the same exact freakin spot than we picked him. If in the revisitation he doesn't move and hasn't been surpassed, it means it's all good. And in the end, what counts is the job he does WITH US. Some might have more crucial needs in other places than we do. We had a big problem in that department thanks to the last 10 years of this org. who didn't beleive in it. How many big power forwards have we been able to draft and develop over the past so many years?

Which brings the point....before we judge a present organization or scouting group for addressing needs instead of suppose BPA....just remember that sometimes, you have to correct mistakes that were made before. Not always the fault or the problem of the present administration. Just like we've been saying that Gainey didn't have it easy thanks to Houle, well we don't have it easy also thanks to the ones before.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Not sure if you're serious..Habs were missing Emelin, Eller, Gionta, MaxPac, Prust, White, at some point. Ottawa only missed Spezza.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch9 View Post
Do you think we drafted a 6'6, 240 lbs kid to dangle guys?
LMAO. Exactly my thinking. He's gonna run over guys, not deke around them.

Just the fact that he was expecting "good hands" (from such a big guy) to equal to "sick dekes" made him lose a lot of credibility. It should be a given that "good hands" is relative to the type of players.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
By then Karlsson had returned. Meanwhile, the Habs had been decimated by thuggery.

As for les feuilles mortes, all they had to do was to hold on to a portion of a 3-goal lead for mere minutes to advance to the next round. Did they choke or did their performance enhancing drugs dip below effective blood levels?

Old
07-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
LMAO. Exactly my thinking. He's gonna run over guys, not deke around them.

Just the fact that he was expecting "good hands" (from such a big guy) to equal to "sick dekes" made him lose a lot of credibility. It should be a given that "good hands" is relative to the type of players.
Why should he run them over when he can simply do this?

Old
07-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Why should he run them over when he can simply do this?
Because it'll hurt more.

Closed Thread