HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Ottawa CFL Team offically named RedBlacks

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 08:11 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

vCash: 500
I'm not sure why fans will just jump on board the RedBlacks or BlackReds ship.
It's kinda silly

Old
06-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleG View Post
Yet its well known that neither team would exist without the support of the NHL clubs. The Oilers chased the Ice out of Edmonton when they were there and it was the Flames who basically saved the Hitmen from folding.
Well known by whom? If these teams are such unsustainable money pits the NHL teams wouldn't have bought interests in them.

Give your head a , you're pulling this stuff out of your ***.

Quote:
From this statement, you wouldn't know what "bush league" means. What proof do you have that the NBLC is in that category?
Name one NBLC player. Name one NBLC team. Name one NBLC team's home court.

Christ, their website is hosted by pointstreak.com. My beer league BALL hockey team's stats are on pointstreak!

Quote:
Yet FC Edmonton is starting to rub the Rush off the sports pages in Edmonton. How long do you think the Necks will avoid that bleeding when an NASL team takes to the field.

Right, the rinky-dink minor-league soccer team that plays out of 1,500 seat Clarke Field is "rubbing out" the lacrosse team that plays in front of 6,000+ people. Neither one of them is big time by any means but come on, get real pal.

As for NASL soccer in Calgary, good luck to whoever is dumb enough to try. I imagine it'll go down about as well as all the other crappy minor league soccer teams ever did. Let's see, there were the Boomers—I think they were in the original NASL if I remember right—the... Strikers? The, uh... Storm! That's right, Storm. I think they were the last ones about, oh, ten years ago or so.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Mrkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I'm not sure why fans will just jump on board the RedBlacks or BlackReds ship.
It's kinda silly
I disagree I just came from a private RedBlack face book group that has over 300 members that are very excited about the team coming back and most of them love the name RedBlack.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:21 AM
drive45

Highlanders

Yeah, "Highlanders" would have been better, and I like "Red Coats", but if it must be this "colour as a name" business, couldn't they at least have put the conjunction in? the "Red and Blacks"? Kind of a Soccer/Rugby old school feel to it?

And why can't the CFL go back to being a 9-team league, 2 of which have the same name, except for a space?

And... completely out of nowhere, but nevertheless true: "Roughnecks" would have been a much better name for the current Houston NFL franchise than 'Texans'.

And, to bring the whole thing full circle, thank heaven for small favours in that Ottawa's CFL team did not take their inspiration from Houston, so as to become "The Ottawa Ontarians"

Old
06-19-2013, 12:29 PM
pucky

I think it's probably the most stupid nickname in all of sports. Congrats.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
I think it's probably the most stupid nickname in all of sports. Congrats.
No, Utah Jazz is the most stupid nickname in all of sports.

Its just that it is old, so people accept it. Which is exactly what will happen when/if this franchise gets to be 10, 15, 20, years old.

Old
06-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
No, Utah Jazz is the most stupid nickname in all of sports.

...Maple Leafs say hi

I believe I said this before but the more I read (or say) the name RedBlack the more I like it..

Old
06-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Xelebes

I like it but I already have a personal affectation already: Arblacks.

Or in French: Rou'noir.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Red... the blood of angry men
Black... the dark of ages past
Red... a world about to dawn
Black... the night that ends at last

Red... I feel my soul on fire
Black... my world if she's not there
Red... the color of desire
Black... the color of despair

Old
06-20-2013, 01:15 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post

Christ, their website is hosted by pointstreak.com. My beer league BALL hockey team's stats are on pointstreak!
Ok I'll go for it. Here's the teams:

London Lightning
Windsor Express
Mississauga Power
Ottawa SkyHawks
Montreal Jazz
Saint John Mill Rats

I got 6 of 10 before having to look it up.

I also knew Halifax and Moncton had teams, just couldn't remember the names.

London plays at the JLC (Duff Gardens)
Windsor at the WFCU Centre
Ottawa at the Canadian Tire Centre
Mississauga at the Hershey Centre

There's the 4 of 6 that I know where they play.

The inagural league MVP was Gabe Freeman.

How was that?

Old
06-20-2013, 02:51 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Cannot believe the outcry towards this name. I suppose it was inevitable towards any name. This Ottawa team will be a smashing success with lots of loyal fans willing to commit to a team not run by the moron brothers. Can't wait until this team starts playing, then the inevitable expansion to Quebec/Moncton/Halifax and we have a 10 team solid league playing the CFL. After the disaster that was the 90's our league has become a beacon of strength and unity and will persevere to become a solid Canadian institution. That day is near, cannot wait for the league to become complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post

Right, the rinky-dink minor-league soccer team that plays out of 1,500 seat Clarke Field is "rubbing out" the lacrosse team that plays in front of 6,000+ people. Neither one of them is big time by any means but come on, get real pal.

As for NASL soccer in Calgary, good luck to whoever is dumb enough to try. I imagine it'll go down about as well as all the other crappy minor league soccer teams ever did. Let's see, there were the Boomers—I think they were in the original NASL if I remember right—the... Strikers? The, uh... Storm! That's right, Storm. I think they were the last ones about, oh, ten years ago or so.
I have no idea what the NBLC is. Basketball I assume? Not sure how any minor league basketball counts at all. Basketball is all star driven, nobody AT ALL ever ever cares about minor league basketball. It has been tried about 1000 times in Winnipeg, not a single person has cared ever. Might as well start counting rugby and cricket teams. What the hell is NASL anyways. Not sure why things this far down the rung count for anything, Winnipeg has the Goldeyes which is minor league Baseball so far down that nobody counts yet still generates 5000+ per game attendance yet nobody is counting that as a real sporting event. Who cares what minor league things you have, that's all local rich interest that nobody cares about.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:20 AM
Dado

vCash:
"RedBlacks"?

Like the trees?

What is this?

Old
06-20-2013, 04:21 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

I have no idea what the NBLC is. Basketball I assume? Not sure how any minor league basketball counts at all. Basketball is all star driven, nobody AT ALL ever ever cares about minor league basketball.
It's the National Basketball League of Canada. I've been to two London Lightning games in it's existence and tbh, it's actually not that bad of a time. The league currently is based in Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes with 10 teams.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:50 AM
ClasslessGuy

Seems like they wanted to do something like the rouge et or in QC. They said hey let's do the rouge et noir et translate it in english!

Anyway, ugly name but for once they though about the francophone in gatineau!

Old
06-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Mrkus

It’s great that they are thinking outside the box. I love it, It’s new and unique. Yet using traditional Ottawa colors, and we keep the “R” in our name. It reminds me of one of the best nicknames in all of sports: the New Zealand “All Blacks.” The reference to Rugby is also in keeping with the CFL as it says on the the Grey cup it’s self: “Presented to the” “Rugby football champions” Go RedBlacks Go. Most of the people in the "RedBlack Nation" face book group seem to like it as well and are coming up with all kinds of interesting ideas to do with the name.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Since I absolutely refuse to use the new name for the Ottawa franchise, I've been wracking my brain for an alternative. I was originally going to call them the SillyNames, but that is just going to get stale after a short while. However I've stumbled across the perfect alternate name that is both funny, accurate, and somewhat vaguely insulting, I introduce the Ottawa....

Ruby Glooms!

That right, from now on I'm only referring to Ottawa's team by the name of an obscure and unappreciated Canadian cartoon....

Old
06-20-2013, 09:48 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Ken Dryden and Joe Nieuwendyk played for Cornell Big Red (had their jerseys retired there too).

Big Red is also the name of Cornell's football team:

Old
06-20-2013, 09:58 PM
drive45

Blue Öyster Cult!

Or go with the double singular: The Red and the Black!

Old
06-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

still not as bad as redblacks

Old
06-21-2013, 01:22 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Since I absolutely refuse to use the new name for the Ottawa franchise, I've been wracking my brain for an alternative. I was originally going to call them the SillyNames, but that is just going to get stale after a short while. However I've stumbled across the perfect alternate name that is both funny, accurate, and somewhat vaguely insulting, I introduce the Ottawa....

Ruby Glooms!

That right, from now on I'm only referring to Ottawa's team by the name of an obscure and unappreciated Canadian cartoon....

The Ottawa Ruby Glooms. This is interesting. They even have a mascot. Maybe the women's team cAn use this name.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:29 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post

Ruby Glooms!

Maybe you just really gotta see the bright side of the dark side?

Old
07-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Mrkus

Liking the name RedBlacks more and more every day.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Devonator

I am late to this discussion and have no desire to go over 12 pages of material...so can someone tell me what is the significance of the term RedBlack? What does it stand for and how does it tie into the city and surrounding area of Ottawa?

Honestly it sounds kinda lame but their have been worse names so that is a positive I guess....

Old
07-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
Honestly it sounds kinda lame but their have been worse names so that is a positive I guess....
Traditional colours of Ottawa teams, like Toronto with Blue & White....

Old
07-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Tramontane Sirocco

I'll wait for this team to fail, and another to appear hopefully named the Roughriders

I don't see what was wrong with Renegades, why not call them that? Again?

Closed Thread