HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

Old
07-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Everest

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Replacement;69210827]I'm curious about your take on this. We've had many discussions on the impacts of players missing out on development and for instance through injury and how hard it it is to come back from lost time.

imo Paajarvi was largely lost in space in 11-12 and for some reason it was like a missed year where he didn't progress. I think this has put him behind where he could be otherwise.

You think he will overcome this but I'm not so convinced. I'm also concerned that Paajarvi's peripheral and uncommitted play for a whole year was a reaction to getting his bell seriously rung a year earlier.

Tentative has no place in the NHL. Players that are become non players in a hurry.

Theres a substantial difference between these respective players tendency to go into the hard areas. Paajarvi has mad some adjustments in this still many games where he doesn't show in the paint.

QUOTE]

I think the bolded is a fair assessment. I am just not sure it is a fair reason to book this player out of town.

We had Cogliano here for a bit longer than Magnus and failed to get any progress from him in basically the exact same vein. Cogliano had world class speed...but...his "go-to" was the drop pass just inside the blue line.

And your right...if a fast skater lacks courage...his speed is somewhat easy to contain on scoring plays.

However...I also think speed is a vastly overrated asset for offence.

I think where speed/agility is MOST useful is on the defensive side of the game and this is where Magnus was most likely to shine. It was the same thing with Cogliano...whose only shortcoming as a defensive centre was an inability to win faceoffs.

Magnus might not have the flashy/sexy game expected from a high draft pick...but...he does have the makings of a very strong defensive winger. And it will probably be to his advantage if he continues to avoid collisions/contact at times...preferring to stay balanced on his feet instead.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Perron is already doing a tonne of interacting with Oiler fans on Twitter, which is cool to see.

https://twitter.com/DP_57/status/356232022869544962 <<<< And of course Terry Jones responds. lol already stalking him.

https://twitter.com/DP_57/status/356610246438944768

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:43 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Perron is already doing a tonne of interacting with Oiler fans on Twitter, which is cool to see.

https://twitter.com/DP_57/status/356232022869544962 <<<< And of course Terry Jones responds. lol already stalking him.

https://twitter.com/DP_57/status/356610246438944768
its hard not to like the guy, in 6 months no one will remember who PRV was

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
its hard not to like the guy, in 6 months no one will remember who PRV was
Haha, I'm gonna call ******** on that one.

This trade will...right or wrong...be measured for a long time to come.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post

Yep. I think the trade was a good one, but I thought PRV had a lot of potential and we still didn't know what type of player he'll end up being in the NHL. I'd bet on him having a career, though.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Fuhryous

I found this write up Andy Strickland did on the trade...I thought it was a good read. Eric Brewer had good things to say to Perron about Edmonton. If its already been posted, fly on over it.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/T...roving-Himself

Fuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:10 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
I found this write up Andy Strickland did on the trade...I thought it was a good read. Eric Brewer had good things to say to Perron about Edmonton. If its already been posted, fly on over it.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/T...roving-Himself
**** I miss Eric Brewer.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:06 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post

I think we as Oilers fans tend to overestimate the importance of certain moves. Paajarvi probably won't be anything special to bite us in the ass, and Perron probably won't be anymore than a 50-60 point forward in his best year.

In short, this could very well end up being a depth trade for both teams and nothing more.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:58 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

The more I think about this trade the more I like it. I think this will look like a good one, even down the road.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:55 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I think we as Oilers fans tend to overestimate the importance of certain moves. Paajarvi probably won't be anything special to bite us in the ass, and Perron probably won't be anymore than a 50-60 point forward in his best year.

In short, this could very well end up being a depth trade for both teams and nothing more.
Kind of disagree with this.

Its always interesting to watch playoff hockey and see how the good teams play. Largely missing from our lineup are players that limit time and space and close tightly. Both in offensive zone and defensive zone. We end with too many players that are prone to peripheral in their game. Anytime you get an "in the paint" player for one thats always been nervous going there its a good deal. One of the things we really miss is players that will go to the areas in either zones. The hit zones, the battle zones. Years ago Perron was told he had to get to those areas, fight to those areas and he never looked backed, never turned back, and has always been this greasy player with talent that will drive to the net ever since. He didn't need to be told regularly, he didn't need to be told every other week or game..

We have a lot of the latter players that pretend to forget the essential lessons when in fact its a discomfort consistently going to the tough areas. See Hemsky, see Paajarvi, see Horcoff, see Belanger, see whoever. We have a team consisting of several players that play the game with fear. That end up half assing game after game as a result while giving all the right accolades about learning lessons and "we're almost there". We have a Ryan Smyth who I don't even recognize that has become convinced even he shouldn't go to the hard area. Its a lot of an epidemic on this club.

Players like Perron, each time obtained, will nudge this in the right aggressive direction. Aggression isn't about punching someone in the nose. Its about aggressively attacking D and systems DURING play. This org was developing a habit of thinking that what this team needs is fists. What this team needs is verve and swagger.
Swagger is that filthy in your face confidence that allowed the Hawks to take it to teams as much as they do. Its an inate belief in your confidence of imposing your game on opponent all day any day. THAT, in hockey, is effective aggression. you pursue the play, you impose the play, you own the play. The Oilers only flirt with that occasionally and with great result when it happens. The trick to becoming good is learning to do it with consistency and accepting nothing less. This is what good teams and good players know and remember. Perron and Ference are here to impose some of that good team mandate.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-15-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:31 AM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
@Panger40: “@StLouisBlues: Paajarvi will wear No. 56. His dad was born in'56 as were several Swedish athletes, including tennis star B Borg. #stlblues”

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:42 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Its always interesting to watch playoff hockey and see how the good teams play. Largely missing from our lineup are players that limit time and space and close tightly. Both in offensive zone and defensive zone. We end with too many players that are prone to peripheral in their game. Anytime you get an "in the paint" player for one thats always been nervous going there its a good deal. One of the things we really miss is players that will go to the areas in either zones. The hit zones, the battle zones. Years ago Perron was told he had to get to those areas, fight to those areas and he never looked backed, never turned back, and has always been this greasy player with talent that will drive to the net ever since. He didn't need to be told regularly, he didn't need to be told every other week or game..

We have a lot of the latter players that pretend to forget the essential lessons when in fact its a discomfort consistently going to the tough areas. See Hemsky, see Paajarvi, see Horcoff, see Belanger, see whoever. We have a team consisting of several players that play the game with fear. That end up half assing game after game as a result while giving all the right accolades about learning lessons and "we're almost there". We have a Ryan Smyth who I don't even recognize that has become convinced even he shouldn't go to the hard area. Its a lot of an epidemic on this club.

Players like Perron, each time obtained, will nudge this in the right aggressive direction. Aggression isn't about punching someone in the nose. Its about aggressively attacking D and systems DURING play. This org was developing a habit of thinking that what this team needs is fists. What this team needs is verve and swagger.
Swagger is that filthy in your face confidence that allowed the Hawks to take it to teams as much as they do. Its an inate belief in your confidence of imposing your game on opponent all day any day. THAT, in hockey, is effective aggression. you pursue the play, you impose the play, you own the play. The Oilers only flirt with that occasionally and with great result when it happens. The trick to becoming good is learning to do it with consistency and accepting nothing less. This is what good teams and good players know and remember. Perron and Ference are here to impose some of that good team mandate.
Good post. I agree completely. MacT even mentioned Eakins as the type of coach that was able to get alot of what you mentioned out of his players. Gordon is another example of a player that lets it all hang out on each and every shift. They are actually putting pieces in place to help along a culture change rather then just saying we want one and changing nothing. Lets hope it works.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:33 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

But Perron doesn't really go to the dirty areas as much as he used to and is much more tentative in his play since his concussion. Hopefully he can get his mojo back but if he doesn't we've got ourself another skilled peripheral player, he's actually been doing the exact same thing you wrote some posts ago happened to Pääjärvi after he got rattled at the end of his first season.

On the other hand Pääjärvis softness is greatly exaggerated, yes he's no punisher and he'll never throw the big hits but he's more and more starting to find the dirty areas and if he can improve on his finishing he'll be a great player in this league, if he doesn't he's probably a 20 goal good defensive forward and that' not bad. My take on him is that a lof of it is a confidence thing. You keep coming back to his second season but in his three seasons that one seems like the outlier.

And saying Pääjärvi half-assed games this season is bs, on some nights he alongside Yakupov, Hall and Petrell looked like the only forwards who gave a rats behind.

I'm not saying this is a horrible trade for us but it's certainly with some risk and I seriously doubt it's the clear cut win you argue.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:49 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
But Perron doesn't really go to the dirty areas as much as he used to and is much more tentative in his play since his concussion. Hopefully he can get his mojo back but if he doesn't we've got ourself another skilled peripheral player, he's actually been doing the exact same thing you wrote some posts ago happened to Pääjärvi after he got rattled at the end of his first season.

On the other hand Pääjärvis softness is greatly exaggerated, yes he's no punisher and he'll never throw the big hits but he's more and more starting to find the dirty areas and if he can improve on his finishing he'll be a great player in this league, if he doesn't he's probably a 20 goal good defensive forward and that' not bad. My take on him is that a lof of it is a confidence thing. You keep coming back to his second season but in his three seasons that one seems like the outlier.

And saying Pääjärvi half-assed games this season is bs, on some nights he alongside Yakupov, Hall and Petrell looked like the only forwards who gave a rats behind.

I'm not saying this is a horrible trade for us but it's certainly with some risk and I seriously doubt it's the clear cut win you argue.

Barret Jackmans fist disagrees

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:50 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@Panger40: “@StLouisBlues: Paajarvi will wear No. 56. His dad was born in'56 as were several Swedish athletes, including tennis star B Borg. #stlblues”
Gross number, cool meaning.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
A lot of Blues wear odd numbers. He'll fit right in.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Career goal total?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:33 PM
dookers9

Quote:
If Hartikainen returns and evolves into the player we all hope for, #56 will become pretty commonplace around streets of Edmonton.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:50 PM
B A T M A N*

Quote:

And yes, Paajarvi is the single softest 6'3+ 200+lb player in the league AINEC.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 07-16-2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: uncalled for
B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

David Perron ‏@DP_57 19s
For those asking, yes I will be wearing #57 with the @EdmontonOilers ! @Landie51 made it easy moving to #51

Old
07-15-2013, 03:07 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post

And yes, Paajarvi is the single softest 6'3+ 200+lb player in the league AINEC.
Right. That single clip is overwhelming proof. I see the truth now. You are clearly right. I will never question you again.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 07-16-2013 at 03:59 AM. Reason: edited quoted post
OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:17 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
David Perron ‏@DP_57 19s
For those asking, yes I will be wearing #57 with the @EdmontonOilers ! @Landie51 made it easy moving to #51
I see.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:17 PM
B A T M A N*

Quote:
Right. That single clip is overwhelming proof. I see the truth now. You are clearly right. I will never question you again.
Because what you wrote has zero truth?

He's probably the only player in the Top 6 that will actually go into the dirty areas to score goals and piss off the goalie at the same time.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 07-16-2013 at 03:59 AM.
B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:09 PM
OilerFan4Life

Perron answering fan questions on twitter.

He's really raving about the Oilers organization.

I think his guy is going to become a fan fav around this city.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Perron answering fan questions on twitter.

He's really raving about the Oilers organization.

I think his guy is going to become a fan fav around this city.
His account probably got hacked

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote