HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2013, 08:43 PM
  #551
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Replacement;69210827]I'm curious about your take on this. We've had many discussions on the impacts of players missing out on development and for instance through injury and how hard it it is to come back from lost time.

imo Paajarvi was largely lost in space in 11-12 and for some reason it was like a missed year where he didn't progress. I think this has put him behind where he could be otherwise.

You think he will overcome this but I'm not so convinced. I'm also concerned that Paajarvi's peripheral and uncommitted play for a whole year was a reaction to getting his bell seriously rung a year earlier.

Tentative has no place in the NHL. Players that are become non players in a hurry.

Theres a substantial difference between these respective players tendency to go into the hard areas. Paajarvi has mad some adjustments in this still many games where he doesn't show in the paint.

QUOTE]

I think the bolded is a fair assessment. I am just not sure it is a fair reason to book this player out of town.

We had Cogliano here for a bit longer than Magnus and failed to get any progress from him in basically the exact same vein. Cogliano had world class speed...but...his "go-to" was the drop pass just inside the blue line.

And your right...if a fast skater lacks courage...his speed is somewhat easy to contain on scoring plays.

However...I also think speed is a vastly overrated asset for offence.

I think where speed/agility is MOST useful is on the defensive side of the game and this is where Magnus was most likely to shine. It was the same thing with Cogliano...whose only shortcoming as a defensive centre was an inability to win faceoffs.

Magnus might not have the flashy/sexy game expected from a high draft pick...but...he does have the makings of a very strong defensive winger. And it will probably be to his advantage if he continues to avoid collisions/contact at times...preferring to stay balanced on his feet instead.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:00 PM
  #552
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Perron is already doing a tonne of interacting with Oiler fans on Twitter, which is cool to see.

https://twitter.com/DP_57/status/356232022869544962 <<<< And of course Terry Jones responds. lol already stalking him.

https://twitter.com/DP_57/status/356610246438944768

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:43 PM
  #553
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,486
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Perron is already doing a tonne of interacting with Oiler fans on Twitter, which is cool to see.

https://twitter.com/DP_57/status/356232022869544962 <<<< And of course Terry Jones responds. lol already stalking him.

https://twitter.com/DP_57/status/356610246438944768
its hard not to like the guy, in 6 months no one will remember who PRV was

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:51 PM
  #554
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
its hard not to like the guy, in 6 months no one will remember who PRV was
Haha, I'm gonna call ******** on that one.

This trade will...right or wrong...be measured for a long time to come.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:36 AM
  #555
Alex87
Registered User
 
Alex87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Haha, I'm gonna call ******** on that one.

This trade will...right or wrong...be measured for a long time to come.
Yep. I think the trade was a good one, but I thought PRV had a lot of potential and we still didn't know what type of player he'll end up being in the NHL. I'd bet on him having a career, though.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:38 AM
  #556
Fuhryous
Registered User
 
Fuhryous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Medicine Hat, AB
Country: Hungary
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
I found this write up Andy Strickland did on the trade...I thought it was a good read. Eric Brewer had good things to say to Perron about Edmonton. If its already been posted, fly on over it.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/T...roving-Himself

Fuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:10 AM
  #557
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
I found this write up Andy Strickland did on the trade...I thought it was a good read. Eric Brewer had good things to say to Perron about Edmonton. If its already been posted, fly on over it.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/T...roving-Himself
**** I miss Eric Brewer.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:06 AM
  #558
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Haha, I'm gonna call ******** on that one.

This trade will...right or wrong...be measured for a long time to come.
I think we as Oilers fans tend to overestimate the importance of certain moves. Paajarvi probably won't be anything special to bite us in the ass, and Perron probably won't be anymore than a 50-60 point forward in his best year.

In short, this could very well end up being a depth trade for both teams and nothing more.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:58 AM
  #559
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes
 
TheBusDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
The more I think about this trade the more I like it. I think this will look like a good one, even down the road.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:55 AM
  #560
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I think we as Oilers fans tend to overestimate the importance of certain moves. Paajarvi probably won't be anything special to bite us in the ass, and Perron probably won't be anymore than a 50-60 point forward in his best year.

In short, this could very well end up being a depth trade for both teams and nothing more.
Kind of disagree with this.

Its always interesting to watch playoff hockey and see how the good teams play. Largely missing from our lineup are players that limit time and space and close tightly. Both in offensive zone and defensive zone. We end with too many players that are prone to peripheral in their game. Anytime you get an "in the paint" player for one thats always been nervous going there its a good deal. One of the things we really miss is players that will go to the areas in either zones. The hit zones, the battle zones. Years ago Perron was told he had to get to those areas, fight to those areas and he never looked backed, never turned back, and has always been this greasy player with talent that will drive to the net ever since. He didn't need to be told regularly, he didn't need to be told every other week or game..

We have a lot of the latter players that pretend to forget the essential lessons when in fact its a discomfort consistently going to the tough areas. See Hemsky, see Paajarvi, see Horcoff, see Belanger, see whoever. We have a team consisting of several players that play the game with fear. That end up half assing game after game as a result while giving all the right accolades about learning lessons and "we're almost there". We have a Ryan Smyth who I don't even recognize that has become convinced even he shouldn't go to the hard area. Its a lot of an epidemic on this club.

Players like Perron, each time obtained, will nudge this in the right aggressive direction. Aggression isn't about punching someone in the nose. Its about aggressively attacking D and systems DURING play. This org was developing a habit of thinking that what this team needs is fists. What this team needs is verve and swagger.
Swagger is that filthy in your face confidence that allowed the Hawks to take it to teams as much as they do. Its an inate belief in your confidence of imposing your game on opponent all day any day. THAT, in hockey, is effective aggression. you pursue the play, you impose the play, you own the play. The Oilers only flirt with that occasionally and with great result when it happens. The trick to becoming good is learning to do it with consistency and accepting nothing less. This is what good teams and good players know and remember. Perron and Ference are here to impose some of that good team mandate.


Last edited by Replacement: 07-15-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:31 AM
  #561
oilers4cup
No More Koolade
 
oilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Last place
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 50
@Panger40: “@StLouisBlues: Paajarvi will wear No. 56. His dad was born in'56 as were several Swedish athletes, including tennis star B Borg. #stlblues”

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:42 AM
  #562
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Kind of disagree with this.

Its always interesting to watch playoff hockey and see how the good teams play. Largely missing from our lineup are players that limit time and space and close tightly. Both in offensive zone and defensive zone. We end with too many players that are prone to peripheral in their game. Anytime you get an "in the paint" player for one thats always been nervous going there its a good deal. One of the things we really miss is players that will go to the areas in either zones. The hit zones, the battle zones. Years ago Perron was told he had to get to those areas, fight to those areas and he never looked backed, never turned back, and has always been this greasy player with talent that will drive to the net ever since. He didn't need to be told regularly, he didn't need to be told every other week or game..

We have a lot of the latter players that pretend to forget the essential lessons when in fact its a discomfort consistently going to the tough areas. See Hemsky, see Paajarvi, see Horcoff, see Belanger, see whoever. We have a team consisting of several players that play the game with fear. That end up half assing game after game as a result while giving all the right accolades about learning lessons and "we're almost there". We have a Ryan Smyth who I don't even recognize that has become convinced even he shouldn't go to the hard area. Its a lot of an epidemic on this club.

Players like Perron, each time obtained, will nudge this in the right aggressive direction. Aggression isn't about punching someone in the nose. Its about aggressively attacking D and systems DURING play. This org was developing a habit of thinking that what this team needs is fists. What this team needs is verve and swagger.
Swagger is that filthy in your face confidence that allowed the Hawks to take it to teams as much as they do. Its an inate belief in your confidence of imposing your game on opponent all day any day. THAT, in hockey, is effective aggression. you pursue the play, you impose the play, you own the play. The Oilers only flirt with that occasionally and with great result when it happens. The trick to becoming good is learning to do it with consistency and accepting nothing less. This is what good teams and good players know and remember. Perron and Ference are here to impose some of that good team mandate.
Good post. I agree completely. MacT even mentioned Eakins as the type of coach that was able to get alot of what you mentioned out of his players. Gordon is another example of a player that lets it all hang out on each and every shift. They are actually putting pieces in place to help along a culture change rather then just saying we want one and changing nothing. Lets hope it works.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:33 PM
  #563
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Kind of disagree with this.

Its always interesting to watch playoff hockey and see how the good teams play. Largely missing from our lineup are players that limit time and space and close tightly. Both in offensive zone and defensive zone. We end with too many players that are prone to peripheral in their game. Anytime you get an "in the paint" player for one thats always been nervous going there its a good deal. One of the things we really miss is players that will go to the areas in either zones. The hit zones, the battle zones. Years ago Perron was told he had to get to those areas, fight to those areas and he never looked backed, never turned back, and has always been this greasy player with talent that will drive to the net ever since. He didn't need to be told regularly, he didn't need to be told every other week or game..

We have a lot of the latter players that pretend to forget the essential lessons when in fact its a discomfort consistently going to the tough areas. See Hemsky, see Paajarvi, see Horcoff, see Belanger, see whoever. We have a team consisting of several players that play the game with fear. That end up half assing game after game as a result while giving all the right accolades about learning lessons and "we're almost there". We have a Ryan Smyth who I don't even recognize that has become convinced even he shouldn't go to the hard area. Its a lot of an epidemic on this club.

Players like Perron, each time obtained, will nudge this in the right aggressive direction. Aggression isn't about punching someone in the nose. Its about aggressively attacking D and systems DURING play. This org was developing a habit of thinking that what this team needs is fists. What this team needs is verve and swagger.
Swagger is that filthy in your face confidence that allowed the Hawks to take it to teams as much as they do. Its an inate belief in your confidence of imposing your game on opponent all day any day. THAT, in hockey, is effective aggression. you pursue the play, you impose the play, you own the play. The Oilers only flirt with that occasionally and with great result when it happens. The trick to becoming good is learning to do it with consistency and accepting nothing less. This is what good teams and good players know and remember. Perron and Ference are here to impose some of that good team mandate.
But Perron doesn't really go to the dirty areas as much as he used to and is much more tentative in his play since his concussion. Hopefully he can get his mojo back but if he doesn't we've got ourself another skilled peripheral player, he's actually been doing the exact same thing you wrote some posts ago happened to Pääjärvi after he got rattled at the end of his first season.

On the other hand Pääjärvis softness is greatly exaggerated, yes he's no punisher and he'll never throw the big hits but he's more and more starting to find the dirty areas and if he can improve on his finishing he'll be a great player in this league, if he doesn't he's probably a 20 goal good defensive forward and that' not bad. My take on him is that a lof of it is a confidence thing. You keep coming back to his second season but in his three seasons that one seems like the outlier.

And saying Pääjärvi half-assed games this season is bs, on some nights he alongside Yakupov, Hall and Petrell looked like the only forwards who gave a rats behind.

I'm not saying this is a horrible trade for us but it's certainly with some risk and I seriously doubt it's the clear cut win you argue.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:49 PM
  #564
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
But Perron doesn't really go to the dirty areas as much as he used to and is much more tentative in his play since his concussion. Hopefully he can get his mojo back but if he doesn't we've got ourself another skilled peripheral player, he's actually been doing the exact same thing you wrote some posts ago happened to Pääjärvi after he got rattled at the end of his first season.

On the other hand Pääjärvis softness is greatly exaggerated, yes he's no punisher and he'll never throw the big hits but he's more and more starting to find the dirty areas and if he can improve on his finishing he'll be a great player in this league, if he doesn't he's probably a 20 goal good defensive forward and that' not bad. My take on him is that a lof of it is a confidence thing. You keep coming back to his second season but in his three seasons that one seems like the outlier.

And saying Pääjärvi half-assed games this season is bs, on some nights he alongside Yakupov, Hall and Petrell looked like the only forwards who gave a rats behind.

I'm not saying this is a horrible trade for us but it's certainly with some risk and I seriously doubt it's the clear cut win you argue.

Barret Jackmans fist disagrees

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:50 PM
  #565
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@Panger40: “@StLouisBlues: Paajarvi will wear No. 56. His dad was born in'56 as were several Swedish athletes, including tennis star B Borg. #stlblues”
Gross number, cool meaning.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:33 PM
  #566
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Gross number, cool meaning.
A lot of Blues wear odd numbers. He'll fit right in.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:59 PM
  #567
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Gross number, cool meaning.
Career goal total?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:33 PM
  #568
dookers9
Registered User
 
dookers9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Gross number, cool meaning.
If Hartikainen returns and evolves into the player we all hope for, #56 will become pretty commonplace around streets of Edmonton.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:50 PM
  #569
B A T M A N*
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
But Perron doesn't really go to the dirty areas as much as he used to and is much more tentative in his play since his concussion. Hopefully he can get his mojo back but if he doesn't we've got ourself another skilled peripheral player, he's actually been doing the exact same thing you wrote some posts ago happened to Pääjärvi after he got rattled at the end of his first season.

On the other hand Pääjärvis softness is greatly exaggerated, yes he's no punisher and he'll never throw the big hits but he's more and more starting to find the dirty areas and if he can improve on his finishing he'll be a great player in this league, if he doesn't he's probably a 20 goal good defensive forward and that' not bad. My take on him is that a lof of it is a confidence thing. You keep coming back to his second season but in his three seasons that one seems like the outlier.

And saying Pääjärvi half-assed games this season is bs, on some nights he alongside Yakupov, Hall and Petrell looked like the only forwards who gave a rats behind.

I'm not saying this is a horrible trade for us but it's certainly with some risk and I seriously doubt it's the clear cut win you argue.


And yes, Paajarvi is the single softest 6'3+ 200+lb player in the league AINEC.


Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 07-16-2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: uncalled for
B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:55 PM
  #570
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
David Perron ‏@DP_57 19s
For those asking, yes I will be wearing #57 with the @EdmontonOilers ! @Landie51 made it easy moving to #51

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:07 PM
  #571
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post


And yes, Paajarvi is the single softest 6'3+ 200+lb player in the league AINEC.
Right. That single clip is overwhelming proof. I see the truth now. You are clearly right. I will never question you again.


Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 07-16-2013 at 03:59 AM. Reason: edited quoted post
OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:17 PM
  #572
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,210
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
David Perron ‏@DP_57 19s
For those asking, yes I will be wearing #57 with the @EdmontonOilers ! @Landie51 made it easy moving to #51
I see.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:17 PM
  #573
B A T M A N*
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Right. That single clip is overwhelming proof. I see the truth now. You are clearly right. I will never question you again.
Because what you wrote has zero truth?

He's probably the only player in the Top 6 that will actually go into the dirty areas to score goals and piss off the goalie at the same time.


Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 07-16-2013 at 03:59 AM.
B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:09 PM
  #574
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,605
vCash: 500
Perron answering fan questions on twitter.

He's really raving about the Oilers organization.

I think his guy is going to become a fan fav around this city.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:38 PM
  #575
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Perron answering fan questions on twitter.

He's really raving about the Oilers organization.

I think his guy is going to become a fan fav around this city.
His account probably got hacked

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.