HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: San Jose Sharks @ Nashville Predators 10/26/2006 - 7:00 PM

Old
10-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testify View Post
Just finished watching the game, and what a great great way to start a day

Radu with his 1st NHL goal on a beauty.

I loved the way he played overall, he should get more and more IT, there is no way you keep that kid playing 11 mins per game!

the one shift of his that stood out to me was late in the 2nd period he kept the puck in 3 times or so it seemed in the sharks zone & hit couple of players ... before dragging his tired arse to the bench

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Testify

Indeed, he played a great 2nd period!

I loved when Mason said that Radu is really energytic and he is also like that in pratice

Testify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 11:52 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Why was Bell not given in instigator? He chased Weber across the ice to slam his face into Weber's fist.
I hate you, Trigg. I really do. I was trying to take a quiet five minute break here at a client's site. I'm surrounded by 5 other people on my engagement team at the round table. And in the middle of reading this GDT, I just bust out laughing. I guess they all knew I wasn't doing work.

If all you did was talk about Bell, you'd be a Seinfeld-level comedian. Some of the funniest lines from you have involved Bell v. Tootoo, Bell v. Linesman, and now Bell v. Weber. You are to Mark Bell what Seinfeld is to airline food.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
why did Pete Weber keep calling the arena "The Hop" last night? Like, at every commercial break, "Predators hockey from the Hop,' I'm not sure I caught the reference?
I heard it. God I hope IHOP hasn't decided to purchase the naming rights for the Preds....

10-27-2006, 12:32 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Anyone else notice that everytime Bell gets whipped in a fight or goes down hard, he gets up laughing....I mean he 'really' had me fooled when he was swinging at the ref a few years ago
Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I heard it. God I hope IHOP hasn't decided to purchase the naming rights for the Preds....
No, they've been doing it all year long. They are basically no longer using the "GEC" or the "Gaylord Entertainment Center" because Gaylord Entertainment didn't renew their contract and is no longer paying for the name. Therefore, they aren't giving them any free advertising.

The "HOP" is the "Home of the Predators".

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, they've been doing it all year long. They are basically no longer using the "GEC" or the "Gaylord Entertainment Center" because Gaylord Entertainment didn't renew their contract and is no longer paying for the name. Therefore, they aren't giving them any free advertising.

The "HOP" is the "Home of the Predators".
ahh, somehow i missed that.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:41 PM
PredDave

Willie Daunic must be getting his palm greased by Gaylord these days as he still refers to the Nashville Arena as the Gaylord Entertainment Center during his post game show....

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Pred303

late i know, partly because for some reason i haven't been able to get on HF;

a feel good morning, after a great hockey game.. warning, lots to talk about, so this one could wander on a bit, so i'll try to break it into a couple seperate posts as the day goes on.. a few observations from a pleased fan;

first a seperate section...

...joe thornton. this guy changes the game. the best analogy i can come up with is from my other life, the military. on a battlefield, when you have infantry fighting infantry you have somewhat of a balance. however when you introduce a tank into that mix for one side, well you in effect distort that balance, you in fact almost distort reality. thornton is that tank on the battlefield in hockey. his ability to possess the puck against any single defender changes the game. it causes teams to take huge risks to try to doubleteam him, because that's the only way you can force the puck out of his hands. his linemates simply go to the front of the net and wait for the puck. thornton's linemates are basically always operating in a 4 on 3 situation, because at least two guys have to chase thornton. guys like cheechoo and bell are good players, but they're really nothing special to be honest. these guys are 20 goal scorers without a thornton. they simply benefit from playing with the guy that much.
thornton, by himself, turns an average hockey team, into an elite type hockey team. of course, people have to take penalties to control this beast, and when they do, he takes over the pp and eats teams alive. arnott did a great job on thornton even strength last night, a great job. when they get on the pp though, and our defensivemen have to play him man to man, he will always eat us up. possibly the only d-man capable of playing thornton man to man with no help in the entire west, is pronger. think it's an accident that edmonton matched up and whipped these guys last year?... they had smith even strength, and pronger on the pp to man up to this guy and expose the fact that without him, sj is simply a good team not a great one.

now as to the game last night;

...wow, no wonder i love hockey. sometimes i might stop and think why i like this game so much. but all you have to do is get to the 10 minute mark of the 3rd period in a close hockey game (which is of course almost every game). this is what seperates hockey from any other sport to me. every game is close, and then you have the frantic last 10 minutes of a one goal or tie game, where virtually anything can happen, virtually every game. add in the fact that a goal can be scored simply out of thin air almost and it's the most exciting finish in sports. this is the hook for me.
...we're a better team than SJ in most areas. we're better 5 on 5, we're more balanced offensively, we're better defensively, we have a better goaltender. unfortunately, we have no answer for their pp with thornton out there, and we're having tons of problems gaining the zone on our pp against their stand up at the blueline due to their size and huge wingspans. but. IF we find a way to be productive on the pp against this team, we can beat them night in and night out, because we are that much better 5 on 5 than they are.

...hartnell. find a way to extend his contract right now poile, please. for the few that were thinking he was basically excess baggage before the season started. well, you weren't right. hartnell right now, has consistently been the best forward we've put on the ice for most of these first 9 games. he is almost surely going to put up 30 goals this season if he simply stays healthy. he gives us the edge up front that no one else does. he gives us the net presence that no one else does. gritty talented guys with strength and scoring ability don't come along that often. re-sign this guy, i beg you.

...i appreciate poile and trotz's problem with all these forwards and the toughness of the personnel decisions they have to make. and right now, their foresight of keeping all these forwards available is already paying dividends. sully and vasicek both go down, and we don't miss a beat, because we have a guy like radulov and versatile guys like fiddler and nichol to simply step in. i really apprecaite how difficult upcoming personnel decisions are and are really going to be, i really do. when me and you casually say we would do this or that, it's not the same as trotz or poile having to make the same decision. their very livelihood depends on things, while it's just entertainment to us. so things have to be more completely thought out by them, they have to move slower than some of us would like.

but.... radulov needs to be up here, permanently, and whatever has to be done to keep him up here needs to be done. there is no doubt in my mind that radulov needs to be kept, whether it means losing nichol, whether it means losing fiddler, whether it means benching or even trading an upshall or a dumont. radulov would be a more productive forward than either of these two players (both of whom i actually really like as players). he's that good, really. now, i know trotz has the luxury here of putting off the inevitable for awhile again, and he could be sent down as soon as sully and vasicek are ready, and if we do it, well ok, more injuries will happen. but... in my best hockey mind... we can really use this kid right now.

...goal-by-goal..

..SJ 1st....bell from thornton on the pp... bad tripping penalty by zidlicky. hamhuis made a bad mistake, going out deep to try to lay a check on thornton, missing and basically taking himself out of the play. fiddler doesn't rotate down fast enough to cover the out of position hamhuis. no chance vokoun. demonstrated early why we couldn't take any penalties against theis team.

..NSH 1st.. radulov... if anyone hasn't seen what trig, i and several others have been saying for over two years, welcome to our world. a goalscorers goal. a shot off the wrong foot (which was all probably part of radulov's plan) which caught a veteran goalie somewhat by surprise, perfectly placed when it looked like there was no hole to put the puck. a huge goal, at a very key point in this game right after they take the lead.

...NSH 2nd.. well i almost hate to see a pp goal this pretty from us, because i'm afraid it will make us continue to try to make the "sportscenter" powerplay goal of the net on our pp, when we simply need to be less pretty and more hardworking. but that doesn't change the fact that you cann't make a prettier pp goal than this one. great pass form zids to find hartnell, great redirect by hartnell topshelf. a beautimus goal.

...NSH 3rd. kariya with a heck of an effort to score while on his ######. the play was made by erat though simply playing basic hockey and throwing that puck into traffic on the centering pass. arnott made the play as well by driving to the net and tieing up the d-men and drawing toskala to him... an all around great team goal by these three. wouldn't have scored without any of the three players. good to see them add an assist to arnott, he deserved one if for no other reason than doing his job perfectly.

...SJ 2nd...sigh.. what a clusterfluk... looked like a jailbreak in our end... there was so much chaos and confusion on this one and so many open people, that i had to go home and play the replay over and over to see what could have possibly even happened that caused this godawful breakdown... as you would expect, there were complex reasons why this one happened... first and foremost the first culprit was dumont... this line had been out since the 3rd goal of ours, over a minute... we finally get the puck out of our zone, but instead of getting the puck in deep and changing, dumont tries to drive into their zone 1 on 4 and gets his pocket picked before we can get this very tired unit off ice (only upshall got on in place hartnell)... they therefore drive the puck back into our zone with us sorta in the midst of a change and against blown players.. thornton gets the puck, and everybody jumps toward him (including upshall)... bernier comes on fresh on the far wing, and since everyone is off standing around and watching thornton he beats upshall who takes a poor angle to get back and cann't cut him off. hamhuis tries to get over to prevent the breakin and leaves his man on the doorstep. a tired hamhuis doesn't even come close to preventing the pass back across to his old man. a tired legwand gets backdoored by the dman.. a tired dumont cann't get back in the play. a tired timonen is hooked up with his man and cann't help... all because we stayed out on a shift too long, and one guy tried to press the play when he should have been changing lines.

....SJ 3rd...this one hurt of course. the fiddler hooking penalty (which might actually not have been a bad penalty, because he was beat straight up the middle). thornton simply controls the puck on the halfboards, hamhuis gets caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, halfway out on thornton, with marleau skating out into his vacated spot behind him and cheechoo camped on the far post that timonen had to cover. nichol and hartnell don't pinch down to help out, and bang marleau with simply a beuautiful tip over vokoun's shoulder.

...the game winner.. hartnell and legwand use their speed to make SJ pay for getting caught in deep and taking too big a risk this late in the game. hartnell possibly should have passed to an open legwand, but considering you're never wrong to shoot the frigging puck and also considering the game legwand was having, he made the right play... i thought for a split second he had a shot before off the rebound into an open net before he got past and behind the net... but what a heads up bank shot off toskala... smart,smart play... legwand was there creating chaos so he deserves some credit for this at least... huge goal of course, whew..

...lots of other thoughts blurring thru my head...

...zidlicky with three assists, including the beautiful crossing pass to hartnell on the pp goal... the others were simply incidental secondary assists of course, but stilll it was three points.. i want to scream at zids periodically in the defensive zone, as like many great stickhadling players, there are times he tries to use his stick to play defense instead of playing the man, but it has to be stated that he is a much, much more dependable guy in his own zone than he was in general..

...weber... wham bam... two great, great hits... the guy is starting to play with a real edge out there, man i love this kid's game.. he is going to be a great dman in this league. of course, when you want big hits, there's a risk that comes with it... once he went after bell but missed and they had a scoring chance because of it.. (the same with the attempted hit by hamhuis on thornton on the first pp, where his missed hit gave them a goal)... but weber gives us something we've never quite had back on the blueline... a mobile guy, who can really lay the wood on someone

...timonen, with a fantastic game. a quiet game where many probably didn't notice him.. great breakup on one of those thornton partial breakaways with the game on the line. lehtonen with a solid game, i have to admit i trust this guy out there more every game he plays. a heady, never panic type of positional player. suter with a fine game, we never were in trouble all game when his pair was on ice, quite the statement for a d-man. hamhuis with a few trouble spots, but other than that with several strong individual plays.

...just a great defensive game by the dmen as a whole against one of the tougher teams to match up with.

...what a difference them not being able to cycle the puck against us for long periods made. the most obvious is that we outshoot them... badly even strength..24-17.. and what about the 2nd period when we totally dominated play for 18 1/2 minutes?.. our ability to control their offensive puck possession even strength also means that we don't have to take penalties to control them in our end... 4 penalties against the team that draws more penalties than any other team in the conference shows this...

... the bad... well there's always some bad... legwand really struggled... found myself wondering if he had surgery yesterday and was still under influence of painkillers (he did have a great backhanded scoring chance into traffic in the 2nd that strangely he wasn't even credited with a shot on net, althought it clearly was square off toskala's pad, and he played a part in the gw of course), but all those whiffs on what should have been good scoring chances and i felt he floated more in the offensive zone than i've seen him in years... kariya, huge goal, nice secondary assist, great hustle all night... had chance after chance though and still is struggling with puck control for some reason. upshall had a solid forechecking game and that helped radulov's line, but generally he had a less than impressive game i thought... again i thought the 4th line was truly not that effective, although nichol did draw a critical pp from pure hustle behind our net, and tootoo was active if not overly effective, he did have one super blazing slapshot that almost beat toskala.. smithson and fiddler were largely invisible... dumont continues to not quite find the place to exactly fit in... the crowd, 13.4 is about what we can expect when 1/2 season plan isn't there and when it's a weeknight i know, but i don't have to like it... actually i wound up thinking there were slightly more than this (thought maybe 14-5-15 by simply looking at the lower bowl) by gametime but i guess not..

...trotz with good solid lines... i was shocked and proud of him... maybe having fewer healthy players will help his line decision making by simplifying it..

well... this grows far to long, but i've enjoyed thinking about it all again this morning.. fun game

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Pred303

and more...

...i'm making it a point to not even think about the upcoming roadtrip today... simply going to try to force myself to sit back and enjoy last night... will worry about those other things starting tomorrow

...here we sit 5-3-1... the amazing thing to me, is IF we had played smart hockey those first three games we could easily be 8-0-1 right now...

....5-3-1 translates to a winning % of .611... a percentage which if ran forward for the entire year would put us at exactly 100 points.. not that bad for a team perceived by most as still struggling to find it's way.. and we all know that really this team hasn't hit it's stride, not by a long shot, not yet..

...also nice to look at those standing and see us sitting in 3rd overall and leading the central, even if they mean nothing right now, always enjoyable to see us ahead of detroit..

...forgive me for not mentioning vokoun awhile ago. solid, solid game. sure he gave up 3, but honestly he had no chance on any of those. great stops on the 2 thronton breakins. great stops on that flurry in the third on their pp, even if they scored later in it. i thought he really rose to the occasion there in the third, after having a very easy time of it for the first two periods.

...radulov there in the second period. that one shift he had, where he deflected two shots toward goal, made two hits forechecking that forced turnovers, made a good pass for a scoring chance, intercepted a clearing attempt... that was some more shift.. it's those types of shifts that get a person noticed more than the goal.. it might well have been the most diverse, impressive shift i've seen out of any individual on this team this year.. glad to see some in the stands recognize it and stand for the kid.

...we either got extremely lucky on the goal waved off or we got screwed... could have been called either way, either as a goal, or as goalie interference... personally i think marleau was sort of checked into vokoun, and it would have been a tough interference call... so therefore i think we probably caught a big break and that the ref simply lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle too quick when vokoun really didn't have control and thornton was right there... whew on this one

...thronton could be the first player in the history of the league with no goals scored for the year and still possibly be voted the most valuable player.. his goal creating ability and passing is simply that dominant.. still it's an amazing fact he has no goals in 11 games.

...our pp wasn't horrible last night, we did at least go 1 for 5.. but contrast it with SJ's pp. they had 5:12 of pp time, we had 7:14 seconds... yet they outshot us on their powerplays compared to ours 12 to 6..

...personally i like the hartnell-arnott combo on our pp... makes us more aggressive down low and two players able to go to the net... the only thing we need is for kariya to regain a little of his puck control skills on the halfboard

...i wish radulov would have gotten a little 2nd unit pp time

...what a great flying cross body block hit by weber on bell that caused bell to come after weber... *snicker*

...raw hustle and effort from kariya to get down there and cause the whole crosscheck penalty at the key 18:18 mark... knowing that if played halfway normal on the pp where we could keep them from pulling the goalie should have made it all easier... of course, we proceed to be super careful on the pp and because we looked like we were killing a penalty they actually took it to us... a small amount of cussing could probably be heard from my general area of the arena about this time..

...would have been only fitting to see hartnell get the hattrick on that open netter... nothing against harts of course, because he made a great effort to simply get that try, but if we're not the worse open net shooting team in the league, we're close to the worse for some reason

...one other thing, i've mentioned the job on thornton.. but credit has to be given to legwand and fiddler on marleau even strength as well... he got no shots except on the pp that i remember.. we did a very strong job on him too even strength.. this had actually been their best line this year

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 09:24 PM
beautypersoni

Pred303 basically covered everything, as usual. :-D Just a few thoughts floating through my cranium...

First off, what an exciting game! And a decent overall game by the defense. Being a defenseman, I'm always interested in how our guys are doing. I can't always tell over the radio though. I knew Mikko Lehtonen would make the team and impress people though. And Shea Weber? What can I say?

I rarely go to any Acadie-Bathurst Titan games here (for shame), but made it a priority to see Alexander Radulov and the Quebec Remparts during their only visit. Radulov wasn't spectacular that night, but I can see him becoming the first team-grown "superstar" for the Predators. Excellent goal last night of course.

On the subject of keeping Radulov in Nashville and making room for him, I'd have to say J-P. Dumont should be the odd-man out. He just hasn't found his place with the team; hasn't impressed me at all. Others have mentioned moving Scottie Upshall, but I'd like to see him stay and get more ice-time. I'm sure Upshall can eventually get a second line position and provide some decent scoring for the team, along with his grit.

Of course, as others have mentioned, maybe the team will let Paul Kariya go after this season, and we'll see Radulov on the first line next season.

Anyhoo...

beautypersoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 09:27 PM
handtrick

Upon slow motion review of Radulov's goal.....Hannan slightly defected it with the blade of his stick, changing the trajectory a little bit......therefore having at least something to do with it getting by Toskala.....no question it was wired though....

I think Radulov's shift in the 2nd was even more impressive than his goal.

No matter how good Radulov plays Saturday in Calgary.....there is no way that Trotz/Poile don't send him back down if and when Vasicek and Sully are healthy enough to come off IR......the luxury of having the quality of Radulov as depth to call up for extended scoring line forward injuries and still have him developing with quality ice time under the toolage of Noel in Milwaukee is just too optimal for them to pass up, IMO...as the quality of personnel other than Radulov to call up drops off dramatically after that....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 12:50 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
P303 could have a future in journalism or commentating.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 07:00 AM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
P303 could have a future in journalism or commentating.
Naw....he doesn't have the "hair" for it

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote