HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2013 (12th)

View Poll Results: Who's #12?
Nikita Filatov 4 3.48%
Derek Grant 3 2.61%
Jarrod Maidens 8 6.96%
Chris Driedger 20 17.39%
Stephane Da Costa 23 20.00%
Troy Rutkowski 0 0%
Marcus Hogberg 1 0.87%
Ryan Dzingel 1 0.87%
Cole Schneider 0 0%
Buddy Robinson 4 3.48%
Fredrik Claesson 9 7.83%
Andre Petersson 3 2.61%
Mark Borowiecki 32 27.83%
Robert Baillargeon 1 0.87%
Mikael Wikstrand 6 5.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-15-2013, 01:52 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I'm kind of nitpicking here, and playing Devil's Advocate, but I feel as though I need to point out that:

Skill ≠ Potential.

I like Da Costa, but I think despite how talented he is, that there are things holding him back from really having a high-end ceiling:

1) players of his size generally need wheels to succeed in the NHL, and I don't think he's fast enough,
2) he tends not to want to pay the price by going into the corners, taking hits to make plays, etc...

In baseball parlance, he's a "AAAA player" in my eyes.
His skating is not as bad as people make it out to be, especially since he can improve on it if it was the only thing holding him back.

And do you have gamecenter? Go to Feb 13th Game against Pitts and you see him digging in the corners most of the game, 47:04 specifically.

Also, those things would be holding him back from being a top-flight NHLer. What he has now is still good enough to mold into a 2nd line center ceiling. His vision, passing, handling are elite.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:17 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
His skating is not as bad as people make it out to be, especially since he can improve on it if it was the only thing holding him back.

And do you have gamecenter? Go to Feb 13th Game against Pitts and you see him digging in the corners most of the game, 47:04 specifically.

Also, those things would be holding him back from being a top-flight NHLer. What he has now is still good enough to mold into a 2nd line center ceiling. His vision, passing, handling are elite.
Well, elite for the AHL. Above-average in the NHL... but not really "elite". He's no Joe Thornton out there. I just want to be sure we're not throwing the word "elite" around too lightly.

I'm just saying that so far, he's getting to the point where WYSIWYG, at least as far as things like Skating are concerned. I'm not saying he can't improve his skating, but he's 24 years old now, and you don't see too many guys who make large jumps in skating ability at this point in their development. Not saying it's impossible, but it's far from common. And like I said, guys his size usually need to have above-average wheels to play in the NHL, he's got a long way to go.

Not saying he can't be a high-end skill player in the NHL, I am definitely rooting for the kid. I'm just definitely not putting any money on it happening.

I see him leaving the Sens after the 2013/14 season if he's not traded, and signing in one of the Euro leagues for a bigger contract than he'd get here in the AHL. Maybe the Swiss league (closer to home, speaks his native language, can still make $500-800k/year)

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:00 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Well, elite for the AHL. Above-average in the NHL... but not really "elite". He's no Joe Thornton out there. I just want to be sure we're not throwing the word "elite" around too lightly.

I'm just saying that so far, he's getting to the point where WYSIWYG, at least as far as things like Skating are concerned. I'm not saying he can't improve his skating, but he's 24 years old now, and you don't see too many guys who make large jumps in skating ability at this point in their development. Not saying it's impossible, but it's far from common. And like I said, guys his size usually need to have above-average wheels to play in the NHL, he's got a long way to go.

Not saying he can't be a high-end skill player in the NHL, I am definitely rooting for the kid. I'm just definitely not putting any money on it happening.

I see him leaving the Sens after the 2013/14 season if he's not traded, and signing in one of the Euro leagues for a bigger contract than he'd get here in the AHL. Maybe the Swiss league (closer to home, speaks his native language, can still make $500-800k/year)
I think he is a bigger version of Corey Locke. AHL standout, NHL he can't justify putting him with skill players because he is not good enough and you can't put him in the bottom 6 because he just can not play there. Maybe he could have a breakout year like Damien Brunner or something, but I don't think he ever will. I don't think he will ever play another game for the Senators.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:29 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

Lol, I meant elite in prospect terms, i unno where Thornton "elite" came in.

DaCosta has been in the AHL for 2 years and has made tremendous strides from last year to this year(2013) and people already righting him off? It was very obvious from his quick stint here he possessed a lot of skill and refined his game from the previous year yet people are so quick to write him off.

Also, Da Costa is a torpedo beside Locke, can't compare the two.

From a guy who seen most of the AHL games last year, DaCosta one most nights was on another level than everyone else except maybe Silfverberg.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:38 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lol, I meant elite in prospect terms, i unno where Thornton "elite" came in.

DaCosta has been in the AHL for 2 years and has made tremendous strides from last year to this year(2013) and people already righting him off? It was very obvious from his quick stint here he possessed a lot of skill and refined his game from the previous year yet people are so quick to write him off.

Also, Da Costa is a torpedo beside Locke, can't compare the two.

From a guy who seen most of the AHL games last year, DaCosta one most nights was on another level than everyone else except maybe Silfverberg.
Oh, I never assumed you made a Thornton comparison. I was just setting the gauge for "elite", making sure we were on the same page there.

Also: I'm not the one who made the Locke comparison. I agree: Locke was as slow as a snowman in an ice-storm.

As for DaCosta's projections, I hope you're right and I'm wrong... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote