HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Saddest thing is that if it wasn't raining in the first half, BC probably puts up 30-40 points in the game.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-14-2013, 02:59 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Saddest thing is that if it wasn't raining in the first half, BC probably puts up 30-40 points in the game.
Funny thing is in the 3rd they were carving us up while is was raining too.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:08 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Wow, that was a lot worse than I expected.
I thought he was going to have a complete tantrum or at the very least break down in tears.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

**** this team. bring on the REDBLACKS.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Consequences? This organization doesn't know the meaning of the word. The consequences for a terrible 2012 and terrible start to 2013 were a contract extension for the captain of the ship.

Same **** as last year, we inexplicably refuse to run the football even though it's our most effective weapon. I thought that might change with Crandell's departure, but it hasn't at all. The only constant is Reed.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
It was really bad. We had a BC fan sitting beside us who ended up getting hypothermia and was just completely wasted and he was just ripping the fan base left and right. Also, the fact that once the game was getting close to over, I felt like I just exited the worlds largest bar and every person leaving it was just wasted. Terrible, terrible game and atmosphere.
The stadium basically is a giant bar. The team has put up so many futile efforts at home the last couple years that getting loaded is about the only thing you can do to make it through the game. If they announced they would no longer be serving booze at Commonwealth you wouldn't catch me dead in that place the rest of the year. It's sad that it's come to this.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:24 PM
#ualberta

Lol kavis was literally steaming

Old
07-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So a 1-4 start could be very possible for us could it not?

07-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So a 1-4 start could be very possible for us could it not?
Yup. Especially when your best guys are injured.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Yup. Especially when your best guys are injured.
In the case of Howard anyway he's been nothing close to a best guy and has made as many bad plays as good ones. Howard really starting to underwhelm.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
In the case of Howard anyway he's been nothing close to a best guy and has made as many bad plays as good ones. Howard really starting to underwhelm.
Well, there's that and Bowman and Stamps (Gone last game). Then Matt Nichols, not that he's our 'best' player but a hell of a lot better than Kerry Joesph.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:
I don't get this. When healthy, which is becoming increasingly less frequent, he is an absolute beast.

I hope you're not one of those guys that thinks just because a DE isn't racking up sacks he isn't being effective. Watch him, watch how often he gets double teamed and tell me that he's underwhelming. He allows guys like Willis, Lang, Sewell, Laurent etc. to get free because the majority of the attention is focused on him.

If he were and could stay healthy he'd likely be in the NFL. What a head scratching comment. "Nothing close to a best guy"... wow.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
I don't get this. When healthy, which is becoming increasingly less frequent, he is an absolute beast.

I hope you're not one of those guys that thinks just because a DE isn't racking up sacks he isn't being effective. Watch him, watch how often he gets double teamed and tell me that he's underwhelming. He allows guys like Willis, Lang, Sewell, Laurent etc. to get free because the majority of the attention is focused on him.

If he were and could stay healthy he'd likely be in the NFL. What a head scratching comment. "Nothing close to a best guy"... wow.
When is he ever healthy? I can't remember.

Probably comes from some poor play last year perhaps while he was playing hurt, numerous times where he flat out misses a tackle or lets a guy go that he has two hands on, or where he jumps on a misdirection and blows coverage or contain. Not sure what it is with him but I haven't been impressed since he got hurt last season.

lol as well that he flat out drops a ball in the endzone that would've have been instant pick for six when he had two hands on the easy, aired up Burris ball.

Likely be in the NFL? lol Get real, honestly, that bird has clearly flown. The last time Howard was playing well was 2011.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-14-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old
07-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Ah, Kerry Joseph. I knew we were ****ed on Saturday when Reed inexplicably put him in when we had to get five yards during one series in the first half.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:59 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
I'm already looking forward to next year. The best this team can hope for is a crossover, and there's no chance they beat Toronto or Montreal.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I'm already looking forward to next year. The best this team can hope for is a crossover, and there's no chance they beat Toronto or Montreal.
Toronto's D is atrocious. Almost Hamilton level bad. They've seen a lot of turnover from last year. A lot of players turned that Cup win into sizable raises (for the CFL).

Old
07-14-2013, 11:07 PM
aleshemsky83

Man we might have to take a look at Crompton pretty soon and it's only 3 games in.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Man we might have to take a look at Crompton pretty soon and it's only 3 games in.
Dave Campbell and Morley Scott don't seem to think so. It's sink or swim with Reilly and lets be honest, these failures haven't been on him. There's no creativity in the offensive play calling, he's running for his life as soon as he snaps the ball (sound familiar?) and he doesn't have a lick of receiving talent to throw to.

Old
07-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Kyle McMahon

Hervey might have to swing a deal to bring in a proven receiver if Stamps' health continues to be a question mark. Him and Bowman on the sidelines cripples the passing game, even more so than stupid coaching does. This team really has not had much luck as far as injuries go. It always seems to be impact guys that are banged up.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Hervey might have to swing a deal to bring in a proven receiver if Stamps' health continues to be a question mark. Him and Bowman on the sidelines cripples the passing game, even more so than stupid coaching does. This team really has not had much luck as far as injuries go. It always seems to be impact guys that are banged up.
One thought that has to be considered is that when the club is so heavily reliant on some individuals to obtain all its results such individuals get hurt and banged up. This including Stamps, Bowman, Charles, and yes, Marcus Howard(sometimes I see things more after additional time to reflect) or Sherrit as well.

This club often has a tendency to ride on others backs. Too many passengers and guys not taking bulls by the horn is a theme. But this is often the case with a team with a lot of airlifted personnel where a team concept doesn't have time to take hold.

ps Arron Grimes (sp?) is impressive. Has done some incredible things one on one against some of the hardest assignments. Sure he's given up some gainers but teams are really going after him and trying to light him up. He could use more help from other *teammates* who are busy in the secondary doing nothing.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Valhallis

Yeah Grymes (or "Grimey" as he liked to be called) has been one of the very few bright spots on this team so far this year. Love his enthusiasm and he's sticking to receivers like glue.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:52 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
How many times did they have to call the 50-50?

Old
07-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Why would they do that when they have Kerry Joseph ready to step in and show his calming veteran presence.

Seriously though Crompton came in at the end of the Saskatchewan game, didnt look good. Couldnt throw a 5 year pass to his target.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Why would they do that when they have Kerry Joseph ready to step in and show his calming veteran presence.

Seriously though Crompton came in at the end of the Saskatchewan game, didnt look good. Couldnt throw a 5 year pass to his target.
A sensible coach would have Reilly sitting once in awhile just to regain some focus and composure. By the 3rd quarter it was as if Reilly had forgot how to throw the ball. He was so pissed off, frustrated, and angry by then he was basically shotputting the ball. Balls were dropping 5-10yds short of recievers. He pointed to himself 6 times in the game. But that gets old.

He was rattled and needed to sit for a couple of series. Not like we were doing anything with those series anyways..

Crompton may have made the Leos defenders backoff and respect his ability to throw the longball. He seems better at buying time to get the ball off.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Halibut

Quote:
A sensible coach would have Reilly sitting once in awhile just to regain some focus and composure. By the 3rd quarter it was as if Reilly had forgot how to throw the ball. He was so pissed off, frustrated, and angry by then he was basically shotputting the ball. Balls were dropping 5-10yds short of recievers. He pointed to himself 6 times in the game. But that gets old.

He was rattled and needed to sit for a couple of series. Not like we were doing anything with those series anyways..

Crompton may have made the Leos defenders backoff and respect his ability to throw the longball. He seems better at buying time to get the ball off.
Yeah I noticed that as well. That shotput throw was horrible technique, dont know if it was the weather or the game that had him off but that motion was never going to make for a decent pass.

Like I said Crompton look horrid at the end of the Saskatchewan game but that may have been nerves. We all know though in that situation it would have been Joseph going in to settle things down, not Crompton.

Closed Thread